Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Remote Start does not turn on heated seats/steering wheel?

01-07-2020, 09:23 AM   #67
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I'll check again as I leave work. The real test will be as Toronto temperatures drop even more.
I'd think the definitive/quick method would be to look at the red LEDs on the buttons. One would think if the LEDs aren't on, the heating elements shouldn't be either.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #68
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec23 View Post
you're absolutely right, but i think eddie is the only one that has confirmed this? by those pics, don't see anything where it indicates the seat/steering wheel warmers being engaged. not doubting him, just wondering.

if they are turning on, then i want to be show it to the dealership as they've all told me that it's "functioning as designed".
Yes, so, I have the 330e (not the i/d), and when I click on "Climatise now" the air condition starts functioning, and the seat and steering wheel heating turns on. Either that or when you programme it for departure, as shown in the second screenshot.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #69
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
check your climate control settings for the seat warmer. perhaps it got reset?
Nope I've done that a couple times already and even changed the temp. for when it comes on to see if that would do the trick and it still didn't work this morning.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 10:57 AM   #70
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

What's the point in auto start then. Can you turn on the AC or heater or do you have to turn off the car with the climate control on so it's on when you remote start?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:17 PM   #71
Spec23
Private
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
Nope I've done that a couple times already and even changed the temp. for when it comes on to see if that would do the trick and it still didn't work this morning.
Hmm, weird. Service time.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #72
Spec23
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
What's the point in auto start then. Can you turn on the AC or heater or do you have to turn off the car with the climate control on so it's on when you remote start?
That's the frustrating part. Sure it's nice to have the engine warm and the cabin temperature at a higher temp than the temp outside, but to restrict the seat/steering wheel warmers is very perplexing to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #73
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
That's the frustrating part. Sure it's nice to have the engine warm and the cabin temperature at a higher temp than the temp outside, but to restrict the seat/steering wheel warmers is very perplexing to say the least.
You should ask them to add a function to I drive in the next update. Some sort of check box to activate heated seats and steering wheel on remote start if ambient air temperature falls below a preset threshold that you can set.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:49 AM   #74
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Okay so it's absolutely definitive for me now. It's -5c this morning in Toronto. Remote started via app and let run for 13 mins. Came out to the car (did not touch anything...start button etc). Steering wheel and seats were 100% on...no doubt about it. Not only that but the windshield and rear window defrosters were activated (bonus).

2020g20 I took pictures of the interior to show you that the heated seat light doesn't turn on until you start the car. Same with the front and rear defroster button lights...both off, but obviously on.

This car works EXACTLY how my wife's VW Atlas does with remote start, which I'm happy about.
Attached Images

01-08-2020, 08:18 AM   #75
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Came out to the car (did not touch anything...start button etc). Steering wheel and seats were 100% on...no doubt about it. Not only that but the windshield and rear window defrosters were activated (bonus).
Well that is awesome. And I agree, that is exactly how it should work. But after seeing those pictures, I feel pretty ridiculous for b!tching about my car not climatizing properly In Georgia haha. You need it 1000x more than I do.

Thanks for confirming. I'm going to schedule my dealer to update my iDrive and see if that changes anything.

Is no one else following this thread already on 11/2019 (and in the US)?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:16 AM   #76
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Glad to help. Sorry for the sideways pictures lol not sure why they uploaded that way!
      01-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #77
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Oh and one thing to note was that I turned off my heated steering wheel and seats the night before so that I could be sure it wasn't just "remembering" the last setting (although that wouldn't have been a terrible solution, I like that it's obviously using the ambient temperatures to make the decision of what to turn on).
      01-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #78
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Oh and one thing to note was that I turned off my heated steering wheel and seats the night before so that I could be sure it wasn't just "remembering" the last setting (although that wouldn't have been a terrible solution, I like that it's obviously using the ambient temperatures to make the decision of what to turn on).
So to understand what you are saying in on of your previous posts, you remote start the car and the heated seats turn (as well as the steering wheel and rear defroster) but the heated seat lights are not on when you get in the car? However, you know they were on because you can feel it when you get in the car. Is that what you are saying?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 02:05 PM   #79
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
So to understand what you are saying in on of your previous posts, you remote start the car and the heated seats turn (as well as the steering wheel and rear defroster) but the heated seat lights are not on when you get in the car? However, you know they were on because you can feel it when you get in the car. Is that what you are saying?
That’s what he said.

But me thinks the car became sufficiently warm inside to increase the ambient temp and thereby, the seats and steering felt warm. But that’s just me. I don’t think it turns on the heated steering wheel or seats. For the seats to heat up, the red light has to come on. In my car, it turns on when I hit the engine start button because ive set it to turn on automatically below 40F.
To know if the steering wheel heat is turned in, look at the live cockpit and hit the steering heat button. If it was on, it should say steering wheel heat deactivated (or something similar). Burrcold, can you check next time to see if it says that? If it does, then you’re right and I’m wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #80
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
That’s what he said.
But me thinks the car became sufficiently warm inside to increase the ambient temp and thereby, the seats and steering felt warm. But that’s just me. I don’t think it turns on the heated steering wheel or seats.
You think? When I left for work today it was 40 deg F. I remote started my car and let it run for 10 minutes, and HVAC was blowing warm air the whole time. When I got in the seats were still cold to the touch, and the steering wheel was room temperature at most. My ambient warm air does almost nothing for my seats or wheel in that short amount of time.

So you think that it was -5C (23F) outside, and his car blowing warm air for 13 minutes made his seats feel so hot that he would think they'd been undeniably heated? Maybe I'm being overly optimistic because I want there to be a solution for this, but that doesn't sound reasonable to me. Dry air doesn't transmit heat that well.

Besides that, the back window was clearly defrosted. Internal warm air isn't going to melt that much ice in 15 minutes.

Last edited by 2020g20; 01-08-2020 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #81
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

Burrcold is mistaken, they still do turn on or retain memory with the remote start.

I'm a million times sure if the seat heaters was actually on, the bars would of been illuminated in red, displaying its intensity. That's pretty self-explanatory and might even be a legal requirement.

What he's feeling is the ambient temperature warming up the seats and steering wheel, not the actual heating functionality.

Back to square one..
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      01-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #82
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
What he's feeling is the ambient temperature warming up the seats and steering wheel, not the actual heating functionality.

Back to square one..
Exactly what I tried to explain in my previous post but 2020g20 almost bit my head off I guess that happens when English isn’t your (my) first language
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      01-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #83
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:

Back to square one..
Exactly what I tried to explain in my previous post but 2020g20 almost bit my head off I guess that happens when English isn't your (my) first language

I hear you, I knew this was the case since he originally posted the photos but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. However, I just tried it myself and it didn't work. I have 7/2019 software BTW and I also figure we all can't be mistaken, at once.

And it isn't the language barrier; the anonymity of the internet allows some folks to grow a little chest hair and act unnecessarily hostile; it's just par for the course
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      01-08-2020, 04:02 PM   #84
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hear you, I knew this was the case since he originally posted the photos but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. However, I just tried it myself and it didn't work. I have 7/2019 software BTW and I also figure we all can't be mistaken, all at once.

And it isn't the language barrier; the anonymity of the internet allows some folks to grow a little chest hair and act unnecessarily hostile; it's just par for the course
True. I wasn’t trying to blame burrcold or anyone. Just trying to find out if and why his car actually turned on the heated seats and steering with remote start while none of ours (330i/M340i) did.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #85
Spec23
Private
Rep

FWIW, it was -3 F this morning and the seat/steering wheel was cold as can be. Inside cabin was ok, considering it was -3 F.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #86
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 35i G20 m340

My heater, and steering wheel do turn on. But not seats. I can start my car maybe a minute later jump in and steering wheel is warm. But when I press the button it then says activated. Very strange. But it 1000% is heating up with the remote start, as it's quite warm to the touch, especially versus seat and door panel
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 05:51 PM   #87
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preciseyyc View Post
My heater, and steering wheel do turn on. But not seats. I can start my car maybe a minute later jump in and steering wheel is warm.
When I hop into my car and hit the heated steering wheel button, it also switches the wheel heater on, obviously, because it was previously off.

The fact is the remote start does not activate the heater seats or steering wheel nor does it retain memory.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 05:53 PM   #88
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
You think? When I left for work today it was 40 deg F. I remote started my car and let it run for 10 minutes, and HVAC was blowing warm air the whole time. When I got in the seats were still cold to the touch, and the steering wheel was room temperature at most. My ambient warm air does almost nothing for my seats or wheel in that short amount of time.

So you think that it was -5C (23F) outside, and his car blowing warm air for 13 minutes made his seats feel so hot that he would think they'd been undeniably heated? Maybe I'm being overly optimistic because I want there to be a solution for this, but that doesn't sound reasonable to me. Dry air doesn't transmit heat that well.

Besides that, the back window was clearly defrosted. Internal warm air isn't going to melt that much ice in 15 minutes.
Exactly right on all points. It was freezing out lol I can tell the difference between a heated steering wheel or seats that have been "warmed" by cabin air. If anyone is from Toronto or near Toronto and wants to come witness this, by all means come by. IT IS WORKING EXACTLY HOW I'M SAYING IT'S WORKING.