Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics CarPlay frustrations

01-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #1
cls49bmw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40

CarPlay frustrations

I finally tried Apple Car Play. I delayed using it because the Genius at the dealership advised against it, plus I read there were issues with the wireless setup.

Turns out Car Play is a better way to play music in the car. Sound is better and functionality is smoother than when just using Bluetooth to play music from your phone in the car using I Drive.

The frustration is that Car Play doesn't want to stay connected to the I Drive system. Seems like every day I lose the connection and then have to play around reestablishing the connection. What works is rebooting my phone. Then everything works till the next day, when I invariably have to repeat the process.

I'm scheduled to visit the dealer tomorrow because of the Backup Camera Recall. You can bet I'll be complaining about Car Play.

Anyone else having this problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
Bimmerftw00
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls49bmw View Post
I finally tried Apple Car Play. I delayed using it because the Genius at the dealership advised against it, plus I read there were issues with the wireless setup.

Turns out Car Play is a better way to play music in the car. Sound is better and functionality is smoother than when just using Bluetooth to play music from your phone in the car using I Drive.

The frustration is that Car Play doesn't want to stay connected to the I Drive system. Seems like every day I lose the connection and then have to play around reestablishing the connection. What works is rebooting my phone. Then everything works till the next day, when I invariably have to repeat the process.

I'm scheduled to visit the dealer tomorrow because of the Backup Camera Recall. You can bet I'll be complaining about Car Play.

I had that issue originally but I noticed it was because I kept turning my WiFi off... once I kept WiFi and Bluetooth on everything's been smooth.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls49bmw View Post

I did initially, but since updating apple iOS and the software on iDrive (which will happen with your backup camera recall) I have not had any issues with carplay. It's been rock solid stable for months, at least without a single disconnect. Wifi and bluetooth must be on, however.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
cls49bmw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
I did initially, but since updating apple iOS and the software on iDrive (which will happen with your backup camera recall) I have not had any issues with carplay. It's been rock solid stable for months, at least without a single disconnect. Wifi and bluetooth must be on, however.
Glad to hear your setup works fine. I do have the latest IOS update, and I keep WiFi and Bluetooth enabled. So, I'll look forward to my iDrive upgrade.

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
Randall227.00
      01-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

One thing to keep an eye on if your CarPlay isn't connecting when you first get in your car, is that you are not still connected to your home wifi. I've found that for whatever reason iDrive/CarPlay doesn't like another wifi network that it needs to bypass as it requires the in-car wifi to actually connect CarPlay.
      01-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #6
louscrw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m340i

My wife was having issues with her’s as well. She called the Genius hotline and they told her they are aware of all the issues with ACP and they were working on a solution. He also informed her that they are making it permanently free for everyone (vs just free for the first year) as a consolation.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #7
cls49bmw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I had my software updated last Thursday, along with the backup camera recall. Since then Car Play has remained connected and works well. So far, so good.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #8
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
My CarPlay stopped working today. I set the connection mode to CarPlay and it never shows up on the car as a media option, despite my phone saying CarPlay is connected. So frustrating
      02-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #9
cls49bmw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbolife View Post
My CarPlay stopped working today. I set the connection mode to CarPlay and it never shows up on the car as a media option, despite my phone saying CarPlay is connected. So frustrating
Check what level software you're running on your I Drive. When I got the 11/2019 upgrade, my problems with Car Play stopped.
Appreciate 0