Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals My new 330i is very efficient and rides very smooth

07-04-2020, 02:20 AM   #1
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

My new 330i is very efficient and rides very smooth

I upgraded to a 2019 330 RWD from a 2011 335d. I'm not a big x-drive fan, so I had to work a bit to get a RWD. I basically mail ordered a car from a dealer in the south. It ended up having the upgraded 19 inch wheel upgrade.

I was a bit concerned the ride would be too rough with crummy Michigan roads. I was super excited the ride is actually a lot smoother. It takes a pretty big road defect nicely. Is this the Pirrelli tires? The suspension? Both? The 335d had non-runflats added and was significantly bumpier. Both have the standard suspension.

For comparison, my wife has a 2017 340 xdrive. That one is a bit smoother than the 2011. But the G20 is a LOT smoother.

On the mileage, I did a test to/from the place I go waterskiing. 38 miles one way. Mostly highway. If I stay off it, and go in the low 70s, and let off up the slight hills, I got 45MPG, round trip, door to door. That is crazy good. If I drive fast, pushing 90 a bit, but trying to keep it under 80 for tickets, then slowing for traffic, I still push 40. The car is rated at 36. Unbelievable really. It still had a lot of torque. Plenty of power for normal driving. Granted, not as much "fun" power as the other two cars, but crazy powerful for a 4 cylinder. I had a 530 loaner last year and was amazed at the power. None of my friends that drove it believed it was only a 4.

Just some thoughts. I loved the 335d more than any other car ever. I had it for almost 9 years. I needed modern electronics and reliability though. This one is growing on me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00
Calamari208.50
      07-04-2020, 04:35 AM   #2
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
I also came from the F30 335 to the G20 330 and think the G20 is probably the best all round BMW I have owned. I do miss the 3Ltr straight 6 but find this is more than adequate. Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:57 AM   #3
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

330i is a beautiful car. The m-sport is better looking than the cerium m340i and the steering is better. Beautifully balanced.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 02:41 AM   #4
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeWalker View Post
I'm getting ready to change to a 330i. After reading your description, I am looking forward to it more
I had a chance to drive my wife’s 2017 340 XDrive for about a week. That really give me a chance to make am even better comparison between the two cars. I commented on this above, but I continue to surprised that the G20 is so much smoother. The G20 just has this road feel, but ability to take the bumps that is really exceptional. This is the standard suspension, not the sport. The only downside to me is that it does feel like a bigger car compared to the E90. About the same size feel as the F30. The G20 more like a streamlined version of an old five series - but that’s the whole move of the company.

The amount of accessories included in a base model is really nice too. The only options added were pretty minor. The dash package, the wheels, Apple play with the wireless charger, and the power trunk. This is the first BMW I’ve had that does not have leather seats. I think this fake leather is fine. That fits my values better anyhow. The only bummer is that you can’t get the stitching and do it in a different color. Pretty minor though.

With the money saved in options, it made it more reasonable $$ to upgrade the audio. I added BSW replacement speakers, and a subwoofer in the trunk. I’m confident that crushes almost any near stock audio system. Way better than the HK in the 340.

This is the first car I’ve had with CarPlay. At around the same time, I added Spotify. That combination is wonderful. I do the daily drive on Spotify on the way to work. That gives me a few minutes of news, then goes in to some playlists. The menu for that is great. The ability to do most of the heavy lifting with the knob or voice commands, then click the screen occasionally is wonderful. Then the CarPlay lets me respond to texts through voice commands while I’m driving. That is one of the main features that push me to get this car. In the real world, I’ll be driving to the ski lake, and people will text me that they’re ahead of time, running late, or whatever. Or just knock down a few to-do texts is easy. Texting and driving is dangerous.

There’s plenty of storage space. You can see I can fit my ski, and gear in the back easily, even with the sub.

When gassing it up, the hood caught my eye. BMW tends to do a watered down hood (minimal lines) in the first pass though a new model. This one is sweet.

This car really is a highway cruiser. Super comfortable, has all the electronics, and gets exceptional gas mileage. I took a dash shot of the MPG on the way to work. I have that set to start over on each trip.

I wound it out to 115 or so on the freeway the other day. It felt unbelievably solid. Like a regular car at 80.

The G20 pretty much took everything I liked about my old BMWs, and made those better. The 335D did the same thing compared to the car before it and this does it again. For a daily driver, I really see no need to get the six cylinder. I hear the steering is better than the 6 anyhow. Something about having room under the hood for something or other.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
pneumodoc231.50