Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum 330i order questions

09-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

330i order questions

I plan to order a 330i for March delivery. So far I hear from my salesman:
- $2,500 deposit
- need to order by November because German factories close Dec - early Jan
- 330s are made in Germany, not Mexico
- lease rates based on time of delivery, cannot be locked in

I keep reading posts about delivery from Mexico in about 6 weeks. Did something change? The spec is alpine white, MSport and some other common options, no BMW Individual selections. I am also not keen on a $2,500 deposit with no idea of the final lease price, as that diminishes negotiation leverage.

I expected a more accommodating response considering this would be my third BMW from the same dealer. If he is misleading me re: production location and timeline, I will find a broker or another dealer from which to order. I would not mind delivery to Spartanburg and never having to negotiate in person.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #2
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

I can't answer all of your questions, but the most important thing I can say is: negotiate your discount *before* you place the order and give a deposit. The way to do this is negotiate a percentage off MSRP, before applying available incentives, along with requiring base money factor. This is really the best way to pre-negotiate a car lease before ordering.

The way to do this is pitch the offer as: I want X% off MSRP, plus any available incentives, with the base money factor. Get them to agree to all of that in writing and you are sitting pretty. As for the % off amount, it depends on where you are located, but brokers are quoting 9% to 10.5% off before applying incentives.

You will also be able to lock in your incentives at the time of order, when you a credit check. In other words, if you place your order in September and do the credit app at that time, you will lock in September numbers and that lease payment for 60 or 90 days. You then have the option to keep those numbers at delivery, or take the numbers available when you deliver, if they are better. Keep in mind you will have to take the whole package if you want that: money factor, residual, incentives all from the same month. You cannot take a residual from one month and incentives from another.

The fact that this dealer is saying you cannot lock in lease rates gives me some pause about dealing with them in general. If they don't know enough about that, do you really want them to be handling your order?

I'm not sure where 330s are being manufactured at the moment, since I have order a M340. Someone else can chime in on that. As for order time, from past experience I can say it can wind up varying wildly, even in good times. In other words, be careful about backing yourself into a corner if you have another lease return you need to time it with. That being said, if you have a BMW lease currently, they will generally let you extend if you have a pending new BMW order. Other makes, obviously, wouldn't do that.

Some dealers will allow the deposit to be refundable. Some states, by law, require all deposits to be refundable. You don't give your location. If not refundable, at least get a guarantee on delivery window, so if the car is super delayed, you can get the deposit back.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #3
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice. I've always picked from inventory and gotten lucky finding what I wanted. I'm in Florida, BTW. I will shop around with the percentage discount in mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Not sure if they make 330is in germany anymore. Mine is mexican and has zero issues (not even a single rattle that a lot of the German made cars have)!
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
ArchJR204.50
      09-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Not sure if they make 330is in germany anymore. Mine is mexican and has zero issues (not even a single rattle that a lot of the German made cars have)!
This is like hearing "your Gucci product was made/assembled in China, BUT it is Italian! The fuck would I buy Gucci for if it's coming from China, might as well buy some knock off shit.

Companies are trying to reduce costs to the max, and eventually it's going to cost them. I've said this before, but I didn't buy a German car for it to be coming from Mexico. If you recall the 2000s VW Jettas made in Germany were far better built than the ones coming from Mexico.

That's my issue with it, the standards aren't going to be the same even though they claim they are.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
This is like hearing "your Gucci product was made/assembled in China, BUT it is Italian! The fuck would I buy Gucci for if it's coming from China, might as well buy some knock off shit.

Companies are trying to reduce costs to the max, and eventually it's going to cost them. I've said this before, but I didn't buy a German car for it to be coming from Mexico. If you recall the 2000s VW Jettas made in Germany were far better built than the ones coming from Mexico.

That's my issue with it, the standards aren't going to be the same even though they claim they are.
Different strokes for different folks. I personally don't car where my car is manufactured or what badge is on it. As long as the car is fun to drive, built well and doesn't give ME any problems, it's all good.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If I was a diehard BMW aficionado with plans to keep my car long term, the point of assembly might matter. But then, I would might also choose a brand with a better reputation for quality. As it is, I lease a new one every three years and have not heard any horror stories with Mexican production yet.

I also don't see how this is any worse than production in South Carolina for the SAVs, which is a good enough origin for BMW's expensive X7s sold around the globe. It is not like we're comparing BMW and GM factories.

And finally, BMW's decision to produce cars outside of Germany is not just about cost control. Diversification is critical to stability in global manufacturing. Otherwise, a labor shortage, tariffs, political turmoil, natural or manmade disaster, or pandemic in Germany could hamper worldwide consumption.
Appreciate 1
mf44488.50
      09-25-2020, 09:28 PM   #8
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf44 View Post
I can't answer all of your questions, but the most important thing I can say is: negotiate your discount *before* you place the order and give a deposit. The way to do this is negotiate a percentage off MSRP, before applying available incentives, along with requiring base money factor. This is really the best way to pre-negotiate a car lease before ordering.

The way to do this is pitch the offer as: I want X% off MSRP, plus any available incentives, with the base money factor. Get them to agree to all of that in writing and you are sitting pretty. As for the % off amount, it depends on where you are located, but brokers are quoting 9% to 10.5% off before applying incentives.

You will also be able to lock in your incentives at the time of order, when you a credit check. In other words, if you place your order in September and do the credit app at that time, you will lock in September numbers and that lease payment for 60 or 90 days. You then have the option to keep those numbers at delivery, or take the numbers available when you deliver, if they are better. Keep in mind you will have to take the whole package if you want that: money factor, residual, incentives all from the same month. You cannot take a residual from one month and incentives from another.

The fact that this dealer is saying you cannot lock in lease rates gives me some pause about dealing with them in general. If they don't know enough about that, do you really want them to be handling your order?

I'm not sure where 330s are being manufactured at the moment, since I have order a M340. Someone else can chime in on that. As for order time, from past experience I can say it can wind up varying wildly, even in good times. In other words, be careful about backing yourself into a corner if you have another lease return you need to time it with. That being said, if you have a BMW lease currently, they will generally let you extend if you have a pending new BMW order. Other makes, obviously, wouldn't do that.

Some dealers will allow the deposit to be refundable. Some states, by law, require all deposits to be refundable. You don't give your location. If not refundable, at least get a guarantee on delivery window, so if the car is super delayed, you can get the deposit back.
Hmmm. What if dealer didn’t run credit or take a deposit? Are September rates still locked if order was placed in September?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:57 PM   #9
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmaxx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf44 View Post

Hmmm. What if dealer didn’t run credit or take a deposit? Are September rates still locked if order was placed in September?
I've been told it's dependent on running the credit app. I'd talk to your sales person to confirm either way.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2020, 02:52 AM   #10
finn1969
BMW Fan
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M40

Garage List
2023 BMW  [9.00]
2016 Z4 3.5I  [6.00]
I have a 2021 330XI that will be delivered this week, it is already complete. It was built at the Munich plant and since I work in Germany, i suppose it makes sense that it's built here. I would expect that US sold vehicles would be built closer like Mexico.

Nearly all SUVs are built in SC except for the X1/2 platforms which are built here (owned an X1 and that was nice and spirited). Since I see more europeans buying SUVs and moving away from sedans (except for wagons), I would expect more SUVs being built in Germany.

So long as standards are being maintained, it makes sense to build closer to where you sell, especially with import taxation.
Appreciate 0