Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M340i - G20 - Folding Mirror Issues

10-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
aamir_m340i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

M340i - G20 - Folding Mirror Issues

Hi All,

My M340i's (Sep 2019) folding mirrors and drivers door controls stoped working today. Could not put any windows down, adjust mirrors or fold the mirrors. No light to window lock function which makes me think there is no power to the drivers door card.

Anyone else had this issue? Any quick fixes? BMW here in Milton Keynes have a 2 week wait which is annoying as I cant even get the window down!

Not happy. Any assistance would be welcomed!!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #2
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

I had this problem after a night of heavy rain. Drivers side window/mirror control switches weren't working and the rear window child lock light wasn't on but all the other individual window switches worked. It worked about 20 minutes later.

I booked it in with BMW for I think for 2-3 weeks time and it hadn't played up during the time leading up to going into BMW.

They found water ingress in the mirror motors which can cause the drivers side switches to play up. Both motors were replaced under warranty however they did ask if I used a pressure washer to wash the car which I answered yes. They kindly advised me to be mindful when using it near the wing mirrors as it could force water into the casing/motors and BMW most likely wouldn't replace it a second time round under warranty.
Appreciate 1
cjm99.00
      10-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
aamir_m340i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanli722 View Post
I had this problem after a night of heavy rain. Drivers side window/mirror control switches weren't working and the rear window child lock light wasn't on but all the other individual window switches worked. It worked about 20 minutes later.

I booked it in with BMW for I think for 2-3 weeks time and it hadn't played up during the time leading up to going into BMW.

They found water ingress in the mirror motors which can cause the drivers side switches to play up. Both motors were replaced under warranty however they did ask if I used a pressure washer to wash the car which I answered yes. They kindly advised me to be mindful when using it near the wing mirrors as it could force water into the casing/motors and BMW most likely wouldn't replace it a second time round under warranty.
Hi - Thanks for coming back to me.

This makes sense now. I just had the car detailed and ceramic coated, so I suspect it would have gone through some intense pressure washing during the process.

Cant believe such a new and expensive BMW cant handle a pressure washer!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamir_m340i View Post
Quote:

This makes sense now. I just had the car detailed and ceramic coated so I suspect the it would have gone through some intense pressure washing during the process.

I must admit I probably did get too close to the wing mirrors with the pressure washer, should know better. I make sure rinsing them from a distance with a mist now rather than a blast of water. Then again I never washed my old 420d myself, took it to those dodgy hand wash places and they blast the wing mirrors without any concern.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
aamir_m340i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This makes sense now. I just had the car detailed and ceramic coated so I suspect the it would have gone through some intense pressure washing during the process.

I must admit I probably did get too close to the wing mirrors with the pressure washer, should know better. I make sure rinsing them from a distance with a mist now rather than a blast of water. Then again I never washed my old 420d myself, took it to those dodgy hand wash places and they blast the wing mirrors without any concern.
Same with me. My f30-330d had pressure washer all over for years with no issues so this is definitely a problem with the G20's!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep

Then again I think I recall reading/searching in the forum when I had the problem that perhaps the mirror part number replacement being different to the original one so there might have been a flaw with the one out of the factory in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #7
aamir_m340i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Then again I think I recall reading/searching in the forum when I had the problem that perhaps the mirror part number replacement being different to the original one so there might have been a flaw with the one out of the factory in the first place.
Got this sorted via my local bmw dealer who handled it very well.

See below :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #8
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Got this sorted via my local bmw dealer who handled it very well.

See below :
Nice! Glad it's sorted hopefully it's with the newer/updated part number/motors.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 06:24 AM   #9
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Quote:

This makes sense now. I just had the car detailed and ceramic coated, so I suspect it would have gone through some intense pressure washing during the process.

You should check what pressure washer your detailer used. In detailing, you don't actually need to use much pressure so a bog standard Karcher is absolutely fine and other than wheel archers, there should be no need to be blasting water into those sorts of areas such as the mirrors.

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #10
Amos91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_330e View Post
You should check what pressure washer your detailer used. In detailing, you don't actually need to use much pressure so a bog standard Karcher is absolutely fine and other than wheel archers, there should be no need to be blasting water into those sorts of areas such as the mirrors.
I use an entry level nilfisk and had this exact issue (fixed itself after a few days when it dried out).

In 10 years of detailing I've never had this issue before so there is a fundamental flaw with the early mirror motors - hence a revised part number.
Appreciate 1
Jim_330e144.00
      12-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #11
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Bollocks - just encountered this on my Sep 19 M340i also. Used p/w recently but was fine immediately after, and take care avoiding sensitive parts usually. Exact same issue as aforementioned - mirrors won't auto unfold, move, all driver controls INOP including windows, and rear-window lock button.

Am curious if anybody has the original/new part no.s for comparison? Will be phoning dealer in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 04:01 AM   #12
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Just to FU on this, I ended up having BMW assistance recover the vehicle to the dealer and got a 740Li M Sport loaner in the interim. Dealer phoned next day; both mirror electrics replaced and tech found no water ingress. Seems like it was just a part failure on one mirror and the other was replaced supposedly as a precautionary, as it was likely to fail at any point?

Either way, back with the 3er now
Appreciate 0