Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals Compared: G22 M440i vs G20 M340i side by side look and POV drives

10-15-2020, 08:14 AM   #45
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
No, not looking for an argument, just asking... who the “many top designers” are that you referenced. I’d like to read or hear what they’ve apparently shared with you. There’s a difference between designers and bloggers.

I don’t need an education in automotive design, or to defend my purchase, as much as you should be able to defend your blanket statements when asked for the references.
This is not a double-blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial where there are publications and references. Like I said, most designers are not going to go on record bashing someone else and a colleague. You're more than welcome to do your own research and contact designers to understand design language. You don't need a degree to understand basic mathematics and fundamentals of design language.

Speaking of "bloggers", does that include journalists, enthusiasts, and Incredibly well-respected people in the media industry? Here is Chris Harris' take on the new M3 and M4:

"The new M3 and M4 appearing to have borrowed facial features from a yawning rabbit". With proper design language, the rear end should look like the rabbit ass. But it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #46
RinconHeat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Garage List
It's just gross to me! The grille looks spongy and porous like it should be secreting something muccoid to keep itself moist- Blech... meanwhile, the upcoming AMG Sl has more traditional BMW design cues than the 4 by a long shot- and is shaping up quite nicely!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 08:22 AM   #47
F1FL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR E92 M3

Man that rear BMW badge on the 440i is absurdly oversized..
      10-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #48
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
The G20 looks like a BMW in terms of its design cues and a natural progression from the F30.

The design of the G22 on the other hand is the complete opposite; it has no resemblance to the F32 which is a shame really!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #49
M3ditate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ALL of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM11285 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJMartinez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
the 3er has a Lexus back
the 4er has a Hyundai back
Ugh. I know. Everyone always talks about the grilles, but the tail lights on both cars are absolutely atrocious. I can live with the grilles, but the tail lights are a deal breaker for me. I am hopeful they will improve the 3er's tail at LCI, but I'm not sure what they'll do with the 4er. The whole slanted look is just awful on a BMW.
I wonder if they intend to go with a light bar just like the 7 series for the LCI...
Would have liked to see a design more akin to the M3/4 CS taillights
M3 CS has completely different taillights than M4 CS, which shared the OLED taillights of the M4 GTS, the M3 was just a slightly tinted version of the F80 LCI.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 09:30 PM   #50
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ditate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM11285 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJMartinez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
the 3er has a Lexus back
the 4er has a Hyundai back
Ugh. I know. Everyone always talks about the grilles, but the tail lights on both cars are absolutely atrocious. I can live with the grilles, but the tail lights are a deal breaker for me. I am hopeful they will improve the 3er's tail at LCI, but I'm not sure what they'll do with the 4er. The whole slanted look is just awful on a BMW.
I wonder if they intend to go with a light bar just like the 7 series for the LCI...
Would have liked to see a design more akin to the M3/4 CS taillights
M3 CS has completely different taillights than M4 CS, which shared the OLED taillights of the M4 GTS, the M3 was just a slightly tinted version of the F80 LCI.
You are right, my mistake 🤣i was actually meaning the oled style lights which just look so good
Appreciate 0