Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Who has purchased BMW Wheel/Tire Insurance?

10-19-2020, 02:12 PM   #1
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

Who has purchased BMW Wheel/Tire Insurance?

Anyone purchase wheel/tire insurance for their G20?

Setting aside the debate as to whether or not it's worth it (which depends on a great number of factors, including road conditions where you are and wheels/tires you have mounted), I'd like to hear from some folks who have opted for it.

How much did you pay for it? Was that a negotiated price?

And, is the coverage through BMW, or a 3rd party company? If a 3rd party, what company? And what are the terms/deductibles of your coverage?

We talk a lot about negotiating the price of the car, I thought we should also discuss negotiating the price of wheel/tire insurance. So let's hear it; what did you pay? And what did you get?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

I think the unanimous consensus here is to try to avoid tire insurance and get a car with non run flats.

Everyone here complains about runflats, and the only reason the dealerships push these is because the general consumer is too dumb / lazy to research the poor reliability of run flats.

Tire insurance is useful if you live in an area with poor roads, you'll get use out of it. But it's not the best solution given the hassle and headache that runflats cause.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf44 View Post

Setting aside the debate as to whether or not it's worth it (which depends on a great number of factors, including road conditions where you are and wheels/tires you have mounted), I'd like to hear from some folks who have opted for it.

And, is the coverage through BMW, or a 3rd party company? If a 3rd party, what company? And what are the terms/deductibles of your coverage?

We talk a lot about negotiating the price of the car, I thought we should also discuss negotiating the price of wheel/tire insurance. So let's hear it; what did you pay? And what did you get?
YMMV but it's it's unlikely to be worth it. You might find an odd story here or there about someone who damaged multiple wheels on every 3 year lease and yes that person probably got paid back but here is how I looked at it.
-would have to destroy 2 rims plus tires to pay back on just one vehicle.
-I have now gone multiple leases without any catastrophic damage to even 1 rim or tire so now I would have to destroy 6+rims plus tires so I have built up ROI to dip into. Yes I got a nail in one run flat and had it repaired good as new
-there is a minimum price for the service and dealers can mark it up over that (I even got the fake phone call treatment with the finance manager calling someone to ask for a lower price after I said no)
-generally taking a longer term POV, over a lifetime of vehicle ownership a customer will come out far ahead skipping this service but like anything there may one one individual lease where that person wishes they had it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, I know the general wisdom is not in favor of this coverage. I have been against it on all of my prior vehicles. But, you know what, my last car had 9 (yes NINE) cracked rims, and just as many bubbled run flat tires. NYC roads are rough, and don't like low profile 19" run flat tires.

The suggestion to use go-flat tires doesn't work for me; I'm not putting a spare in the trunk of the G20 (which eats up trunk volume) and a fix a flat kit is not going to help me when I get sidewall damage or a cracked or bent rim.

I'm still on the fence about getting coverage for this car but, frankly, I don't see NYC roads getting better in the near future, with the city and state seeing budget deficits. This is why I'm looking for some experience for those who have purchased or negotiated this coverage. I'd like to have an idea of what a reasonable price is for the coverage; only then can I balance if it's worth it or not. The decision on whether to opt for it in the first place is a different discussion.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 08:10 PM   #5
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I know the general wisdom is not in favor of this coverage. I have been against it on all of my prior vehicles. But, you know what, my last car had 9 (yes NINE) cracked rims, and just as many bubbled run flat tires. NYC roads are rough, and don't like low profile 19" run flat tires.

The suggestion to use go-flat tires doesn't work for me; I'm not putting a spare in the trunk of the G20 (which eats up trunk volume) and a fix a flat kit is not going to help me when I get sidewall damage or a cracked or bent rim.

I'm still on the fence about getting coverage for this car but, frankly, I don't see NYC roads getting better in the near future, with the city and state seeing budget deficits. This is why I'm looking for some experience for those who have purchased or negotiated this coverage. I'd like to have an idea of what a reasonable price is for the coverage; only then can I balance if it's worth it or not. The decision on whether to opt for it in the first place is a different discussion.
I live in the NYC area and had the tire insurance coverage. I get your pain, I've felt it driving to work, but I would never get run flats on my next car. The reason bubbles occur is because of the firmness of that sidewall.

I can't justify spending 60K on a car and then $2,000 for tire insurance just because the dealership tells me to. If I were to lose trunk space, so be it, but it's worth not having to deal with the nonsense with all the flat tires caused by the NJ Turnpike. Is it our fault that corporate made the stupid decision to outfit performance sedans with run flat tires? Why should we have to bear the cost of that decision? Get go flats with 18's, that's your best bet. Since you live in NY you have to make some sacrifices .
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 09:16 PM   #6
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

The finance manager is not your friend.
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2020, 10:10 PM   #7
jaa11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330ix

Quote:

I am waiting for my delivery. I am going to give these run flat a try for about 2-3k miles, but if I do not like them, I will buy regular tires and keep the factory ones to put them on towards the end of the lease. This way they get their freaking RFTs and I get to not put up with them.
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #8
sundstrom
Rep
Drives: 2018 540xi

Quote:

i'm going to be looking into it for sure. i got it when it was $800 3 cars ago and it paid off in spades.

since that, i haven't in my last two and probably would've broke even. the quote price was between $1600 and $2000 and i didn't try to negotiate it.

i'm in NJ and have gone through 3 tires on both my last two leases. i could've gotten rims if i wanted to pay for them but just dealt with it.

i'm getting 19" all season run flats on my '21 m340 that's due in next month and i'll see what the tire insurance is. If it's $1000, i'll do it. otherwise, i'll just hold my breath.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #9
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundstrom View Post
Quote:

i'm going to be looking into it for sure. i got it when it was $800 3 cars ago and it paid off in spades.

since that, i haven't in my last two and probably would've broke even. the quote price was between $1600 and $2000 and i didn't try to negotiate it.

i'm in NJ and have gone through 3 tires on both my last two leases. i could've gotten rims if i wanted to pay for them but just dealt with it.

i'm getting 19" all season run flats on my '21 m340 that's due in next month and i'll see what the tire insurance is. If it's $1000, i'll do it. otherwise, i'll just hold my breath.
Holding your breath is going to be pointless if you commute on the Parkway or Turnpike, I wish you luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:10 PM   #10
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

The tire insurance rates are expensive in NJ and NY because there is a high rate of claims and the tires and wheels are very expensive.

I'll be buying it for my car when it comes in. It paid off on my last 2 bmws I had. This one will be no better with 19in wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #11
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post
The tire insurance rates are expensive in NJ and NY because there is a high rate of claims and the tires and wheels are very expensive.

I'll be buying it for my car when it comes in. It paid off on my last 2 bmws I had. This one will be no better with 19in wheels.
Have you gotten any quotes on the price? And was it the BMW plan, or a 3rd party plan?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #12
rcz22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundstrom View Post

I'm in jersey too (hopefully taking delivery next month) - what dealership?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #13
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

Quote:
Have you gotten any quotes on the price? And was it the BMW plan, or a 3rd party plan?
I am going with a 3rd party plan myself.

The BMW one has limits on how many claims you can make, and it is also way more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #14
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post
Quote:
I am going with a 3rd party plan myself.

The BMW one has limits on how many claims you can make, and it is also way more expensive.
Which one are you choosing?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:44 AM   #15
PortimaoM340NYC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

I order my 21 m340 and waiting for so I been shopping around to see if I can purchase rim and tire protection plant outside the dealership. Most of them are thru dealership. So I found triple AAA northeast bank that sells the contract and I got quoted for rim and tire , key fob if lost up to 5k and paint less dent removal up to 4 inch for $1689. They said you can bring it to any shop. I have not made a decision yet if I should use them or get from the dealership
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:16 AM   #16
BMW in NE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340 xDrive

Honestly, with the availability of used tires/wheels on ebay/this forum you would have to make me a pretty strong case as to the value of the wheel/tire insurance. I have replaced 3 runflats due to bubbles in the sidewalls (19" Goodyear Eagle F1s) and I'm out about $600 total including mount/balance. Last winter I cranked a pothole with my winter setup (18" 397s) and bent 2 wheels that were fixed for $100. Even with all that I'm still well under what the wheel/tire package would have cost me.
Appreciate 0