Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions My instrument panel went blank!

11-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #23
hockeymen14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthuss View Post
for everyone that has had this issue, was there any cell phone in the car at the time and was it connected via bluetooth or cable?
Cellphone was present and attempting to connect to Apple Carplay.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #24
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymen14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
It's a software issue and there is a PuMA measure for that which corrects the rebooting, on/off of the iDrive display and for those that have the digital multifunction speedometer.

Easy fix.
What is a Puma update?
New sneakers?

Had same issue with mine but only went for about 5 seconds and has been fine since. Knock on wood
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #25
joes_m340
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthuss View Post
for everyone that has had this issue, was there any cell phone in the car at the time and was it connected via bluetooth or cable?
mine has done that twice, both times I took it to the dealership and they had some updates for it.
      01-15-2020, 08:03 PM   #26
dicarsio
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 330e (G20)

I have the same issue. It went blank on me three times. Scheduled to go to the dealer on the 20th. They said they will update the software and should fix the issue.

All driver assistance systems also go off (from the driver assistance professional package), so a problem when you have the autonomous driving running and this happens..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 08:07 PM   #27
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I had this problem in my B9 A4 which was because there was a clash between Audi’s and apples softwares. Not sure about the details but it happened only when my wife was playing music off of her phone while it was connected to the car. A few other people had the same issue and Audi said it had something to do with a certain version of apples Os on the iPhone.
Maybe the same with bmw? If everyone is having it when their iphone was connected to the car?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 08:12 PM   #28
dicarsio
Portugal
Rep

My phone is always connected via Bluetooth (not carplay). The Bluetooth protocol is common to all the phones, so shouldn't be it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 08:28 PM   #29
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicarsio View Post
My phone is always connected via Bluetooth (not carplay). The Bluetooth protocol is common to all the phones, so shouldn't be it.
Her phone was also connected only via Bluetooth and not via carplay. But it still happened. I noticed it after it happened like four or five times in three years and it was always when her phone was connected and not mine. And then I read other people had the same issue when their iPhones were connected via Bluetooth. Apparently Audi said it had something to do with some sort of clash between the softwares. I don’t remember if they had an update for it or not since it didn’t bother me much except for the virtual cockpit and MMI shutting down and restarting within a minute.
Not saying that this is the issue in bmws. It could be something else. Or it could be the same?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 11:46 PM   #30
dicarsio
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Her phone was also connected only via Bluetooth and not via carplay. But it still happened. I noticed it after it happened like four or five times in three years and it was always when her phone was connected and not mine. And then I read other people had the same issue when their iPhones were connected via Bluetooth. Apparently Audi said it had something to do with some sort of clash between the softwares. I don’t remember if they had an update for it or not since it didn’t bother me much except for the virtual cockpit and MMI shutting down and restarting within a minute.
Not saying that this is the issue in bmws. It could be something else. Or it could be the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Her phone was also connected only via Bluetooth and not via carplay. But it still happened. I noticed it after it happened like four or five times in three years and it was always when her phone was connected and not mine. And then I read other people had the same issue when their iPhones were connected via Bluetooth. Apparently Audi said it had something to do with some sort of clash between the softwares. I don't remember if they had an update for it or not since it didn't bother me much except for the virtual cockpit and MMI shutting down and restarting within a minute.
Yep.. maybe. I'll get the update and update you guys in here in about a thousand kms :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #31
EddieA1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 340i, m240i, M2C, m340i

The same issue happened to me. All screens went blank and then restarted immediately with the some message that certain display options are not available. Took it to service and they updated the software. Not sure if there was a patch released for this issue, or if they just do this for all cars in the hope that it may work. Unfortunate, this is just one of the issues with having a 1st generation car.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #32
dicarsio
Portugal
Rep

As promised, an update.
It went to the dealer for 2 days to update and fix a faulty passenger mirror.

They did a software update and were hoping it was fixed. It wasn't. Happened again a few hours after pickup. Need to send it back to them. Anyway, attaching a picture of the error message for reference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #33
Taranto300
Banned
Rep
Drives: bimmer

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I WILL NEVER NEVER NEVER allow the car to drive on it's own.

Fcuk Software
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #34
dicarsio
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranto300 View Post
THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I WILL NEVER NEVER NEVER allow the car to drive on it's own.

Fcuk Software
It drives very well by itself but I have no confidence on the system while this is happening.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #35
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranto300 View Post

Fcuk Software
I love the stop and go feature but I agree it's a little scary.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 12:00 PM   #36
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

The only time I have had the screen go blank on mine is when the key was inadvertently taken away from the car while the engine was running - came back as soon as the key was in range.

Personally I take the car into the dealer for every fault while it is in warranty and make sure they record the issue, even if the can't find anything wrong, to give a paper trail that the issue was reported within warranty in the event that there is a repetition after warranty expires.

Paid dividends on my F34, touch wood no issues with the G20 yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 04:15 AM   #37
dicarsio
Portugal
Rep

So, after the second time turning the car into service, for both a faulty mirror and the dashboard, the dashboard still turns off randomly and only get a back on after shutting the car down.

They said they updated the software twice now (and could confirm at least once because the version changed) so I'm beginning to think this might not be software.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #38
Aileron88
Rep
Drives: M340i

Instrument cluster turning off

Has anyone had their instrument cluster just turn off randomly? Mine did it today whilst driving - good job for the HUD so I could see my speed etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #39
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileron88 View Post
Has anyone had their instrument cluster just turn off randomly? Mine did it today whilst driving - good job for the HUD so I could see my speed etc.
Happened to me, parked in front of the store and when I went back in the screen was off. I restarted the car several times, rebooted the idrive and nothing. However I don't have a hud so I was driving with my phone navigation to check the speed. After it sat at home for 2 hours the screen came back on.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:00 PM   #40
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileron88 View Post
On my F30, yes. I even lost my HUD.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 04:01 PM   #41
Kleev
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

I’ve just lost my instrument panel. Just had to drive twenty minutes home with no speedometer! This is absurd. Car is only a week old. Parked up a coupe of hours ago and the only thing which I noticed was a bit different was I sat in my car for a while with the engine off and the instrument panel switched off almost like it went to sleep. Came back two hours later and it wouldn’t turn back on when I got into my car and turned the engine on.

Any ideas how I get it back? I’ve tried restarting I drive by pressing the volume knob for 30 seconds and that didn’t work.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #42
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

I've had this happen too. It just came back on, but I needed to move right away from the car - taking the key away so it shut down properly which takes a good 30 mins. I had the update over 12 months ago and hasn't done it since.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #43
Kleev
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
I've had this happen too. It just came back on, but I needed to move right away from the car - taking the key away so it shut down properly which takes a good 30 mins. I had the update over 12 months ago and hasn't done it since.
hmmm. Not sure how an update will fix it seeing as I'm on the latest software.

What worries me is I saw the instrument panel actually switch off and power down when I was in the car. I hadn't noticed it do that before because I don't normally sit in it with the engine off but I was waiting for someone.

I then went away for two hours, came back and the panel didn't swtich back on.

I'm not confident it is going to resolve itself on it's own. Even my idrive is actign weird now, time is incorrect and I can't adjust it back to normal time.

Then a yellow light came on at the top of the car by the lights going on about airbags, never seen that before.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:30 PM   #44
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

this problem is one of the reasons I would never buy a Tesla Model 3 or Y. Everything is on the display and if it goes off, you are driving blind (electronically). I can just imagine trying to tell the state trooper that I shouldn't get a ticket because my car went dark on me.
Appreciate 0