Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions My instrument panel went blank!

08-28-2020, 05:41 AM   #45
Kleev
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Well an update, the car is at the dealer. I'm getting a courtesy car delivered today to cover me for the weekend as it's a bank holiday here, so Monday they will be closed, I don't expect my car back until Tuesday at the earliest.

Have to say the BMW roadside assistance was excellent. They were out to me with 30 minutes and I was back home courtesy of a lift home from the technician within an hour.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 06:35 AM   #46
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Let us know how you go. It might be a separate type of fault. Glad you got a courtesy car... hopefully an M3 or something
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 01:23 PM   #47
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
Let us know how you go. It might be a separate type of fault. Glad you got a courtesy car... hopefully an M3 or something
that would be the first time in history that someone got an M3 as a loaner!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #48
Kleev
Private
Rep

Quote:

Haha. No chance, they use rent-a-car. Guy phoned me and said he's having trouble locating me a BMW to use, so did I want a Vauxhall...

I said no, I want a BMW. I said I'll wait until tomorrow, but I'm not that desperate that I'll drive anything, otherwise I can just drive my brother's old Jag for a few days.

Annoying this had to happen on a bank holiday, I had driving plans.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #49
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleev View Post
Haha. No chance, they use rent-a-car. Guy phoned me and said he's having trouble locating me a BMW to use, so did I want a Vauxhall...

I said no, I want a BMW. I said I'll wait until tomorrow, but I'm not that desperate that I'll drive anything, otherwise I can just drive my brother's old Jag for a few days.

This experience is why I have never considered an Alfa. Great cars but not reliable. I could consider living with the unreliability but I have heard too many reports that the dealers give you Fiats and Chrysler 300s as loaners. If they gave me an Alfa loaner it would be a pain but I would consider it.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #50
Kleev
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
This experience is why I have never considered an Alfa. Great cars but not reliable. I could consider living with the unreliability but I have heard too many reports that the dealers give you Fiats and Chrysler 300s as loaners. If they gave me an Alfa loaner it would be a pain but I would consider it.

Good luck.
Thanks! I was open minded on alternatives but when he said it would be a Vauxhall, I drew the line. OK, some people may just need any old car to get around but that isn't my situation.

I just want my 330 back, it's annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 05:56 PM   #51
3erMan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleev View Post

Since we don't have Vauxhalls in the U.S., that might be exotic enough to make some of us take that in the absence of a BMW. Might be like you getting a Lincoln Continental or Dodge Challenger in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 06:53 PM   #52
Kleev
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erMan View Post
Since we don't have Vauxhalls in the U.S., that might be exotic enough to make some of us take that in the absence of a BMW. Might be like you getting a Lincoln Continental or Dodge Challenger in the UK.
Haha, I'd enjoy either of those.

Just an update, dealership called me today, they diagnosed a complete instrument cluster failure. Apparently they are waiting for the new part to arrive tomorrow, quite a big job, so the work may roll over to Thursday.

Regarding BMW roadside assistance, the initial service (call out and tech) was excellent but they have failed to provide me with a courtesy car despite them promising to call me on saturday, after I chased them, I have heard nothing from them since.

Absolutely terrible service to be honest. Fortunately I did not need a courtesy car, so didn't bother chasing them up for a third time, but to be told by rent-a-car that they would definitely call me back, and then not to, is unacceptable.

I understand that BMW pass me over to enterprise rent-a-car who they use for courtesy cars, so technically speaking it is rent-a-car who are failing to call me, but still. It's not good enough.

I feel I should complain.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      09-01-2020, 09:00 PM   #53
Jonnyjar23
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92

Good post
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #54
MTDR
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d

same phenomenon

This phenomenon was happen in Japanese model too.
It is a major safety defect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:23 PM   #55
LuxoM3
(formerly exe36M3)
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i

So any you guys actually get this fixed yet?

My wife's 2021 X3 just developed the dreaded dead instrument cluster issue. What was THE fix for you guys?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 07:04 AM   #56
clone1008
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post
My wife's 2021 X3 just developed the dreaded dead instrument cluster issue. What was THE fix for you guys?
My 2020 330i was doing it a bunch early on but OTA updates seem to have corrected it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:21 AM   #57
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This thread is a great example of why I would never buy a car like the Tesla model 3 where the only display is the electronic one. At least the OP could still see the HUD; in a Tesla he would be totally blind.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #58
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Any stuff like this should be looked at by a dealer if within warranty - if it repeats while out of warranty they will have a record of the fault and will probably do the right thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 10:50 PM   #59
Benetton
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X435i Silver

Mine went out too. I was driving and then it turned off. I have a custom ordered 2021 M340i and I took it to the dealership. They tried to update the software but it still did not work. They said they would need to order me a new screen. Worst part about it is there is not one screen located in the USA. The screen will come from Germany and they do not know how long it will take because of the chip issue. Has anyone’s dealership said that have to order a new one???? Please help.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 11:20 PM   #60
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
This thread is a great example of why I would never buy a car like the Tesla model 3 where the only display is the electronic one. At least the OP could still see the HUD; in a Tesla he would be totally blind.
I guess analog gauges can't go blank, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 12:05 AM   #61
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Believe it or not, electronics tend to be more reliable than mechanical cables etc.

In regards to the screen, I left my car sit for a couple of hours and it fixed itself. Then with an OTA update it has been fine since. But imagine this is a different problem since it's 2021.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 01:35 AM   #62
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Believe it or not, electronics tend to be more reliable than mechanical cables etc.
I am not sure about that, e.g. maybe electronics/motherboards that drive the digital display can go bad sooner than thick electrical wires to analog gauges?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 02:46 AM   #63
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I am not sure about that, e.g. maybe electronics/motherboards that drive the digital display can go bad sooner than thick electrical wires to analog gauges?
There are no thick electrical wires to analog gauges, it's still the same trace on a PCB. Only difference is these traces going to stepper motors instead of a screen. Also, this seems like a software issue, so it wouldn't matter if it's analog or digital. Your analog gauges would be sitting at 0mph as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #64
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
There are no thick electrical wires to analog gauges, it's still the same trace on a PCB. Only difference is these traces going to stepper motors instead of a screen. Also, this seems like a software issue, so it wouldn't matter if it's analog or digital. Your analog gauges would be sitting at 0mph as well.
I am referring to the PCB + chip(that drives vertical and horizontal scans of digital display) that replaces the stepper motors(analog gauge).

The electrical wires to the stepper motors should be much thicker than the PCB traces and the nanometer-range wires on those chips, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 01:38 PM   #65
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I am referring to the PCB + chip(that drives vertical and horizontal scans of digital display) that replaces the stepper motors(analog gauge).

The electrical wires to the stepper motors should be much thicker than the PCB traces and the nanometer-range wires on those chips, right?
Sure, the wires will be thicker than traces on a pcb, but I don't think cables are more sturdy, in fact probably the opposite, that's why they have to be that thick in the first place. Traces don't move, are not flexible etc. so they can be much thinner. There's also no significant current (iirc the digital panel has a separate connector for power).

All in all, the weak point will be the panel itself, and screens in a car are not exactly new tech so I think hardwarewise there shouldn't be any issues. The software side of things just got much, much more complex in recent years and I'm pretty darn sure if the cars had analog gauges we would see similar reports about seemingly dead stepper motors.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 09:26 AM   #66
Yo Russ Dude
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i

4 Series 2021 - Speedo Screen went Blank

Hi

My 4 series screen went blank for maybe ten seconds. It worked perfectly after but decided to take it in to the dealer.

After 2 weeks the car was returned with a new screen.

In the meantime I was provided with a lease car so I am very happy with the service (Alhough a Fiesta ST didn’t quite cut it)

Russ
Appreciate 0