Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals M340i xDrive First Edition in Frozen Dark Grey and Fjord Blue / Silverstone Leather

03-10-2020, 11:21 PM   #45
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
I almost had a heart attack when I saw that price, almost $80K! Then I realized that's in Canadian dollars, $59K is still really steep for a basic 3 series with options but that's what the world is coming to lol.
Not a basic 3 series. BMW, to my dismay, has denominated the m340i as a "true M car" so the only "basic" 3 series is the 330i - soon enough BMWs range will have more ///M cars than standard cars I presume.

On a more pointed note, I do like that exterior though! Don't hate the interior, but I would have gone with something different.
Theres nothing "true M" about it. It's a fantastic car, drove one at a track day, but in all seriousness, it's a typical BMW loaner car.
      03-10-2020, 11:51 PM   #46
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I almost had a heart attack when I saw that price, almost $80K! Then I realized that's in Canadian dollars, $59K is still really steep for a basic 3 series with options but that's what the world is coming to lol.
Not a basic 3 series. BMW, to my dismay, has denominated the m340i as a "true M car" so the only "basic" 3 series is the 330i - soon enough BMWs range will have more ///M cars than standard cars I presume.

On a more pointed note, I do like that exterior though! Don't hate the interior, but I would have gone with something different.
Theres nothing "true M" about it. It's a fantastic car, drove one at a track day, but in all seriousness, it's a typical BMW loaner car.
I agree! But apparently BMW doesn't...

The way they are advertising the lineup up is 330i on one page and then m340i -> M3 -> M3 competition on another.

Even though the m340i is on the same chassis as the 330i and the two are ~80% similar. While the m340i and the upcoming G80 will be 80-90% different (if the differences are as they were between the f30 and the f80).

I hate to admit it (I really do), but Audi is the only one that seems to have it right, separating the A line from the S line from the RS line. With BMW and Mercedes it seems like every car is now an AMG or an ///M other than the c300 and 330i

But, I digress, and I really don't want people to start jumping in on the argument.

Overall, I really like the new M340i and I am personally extremely excited to see the monster the new G80/82 is going to be - large grill and all!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 02:50 AM   #47
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I like the interior but the white on the outside of the seats is gonna be a PITA to keep clean. Swapping the blue/white would be better.
Was just about to say the same thing. With white contrast stitching. Then they might have a winner.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:00 AM   #48
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It's a real M. Until you drive it and realize straight away it's not even close.. But the posers will have fun telling everyone they got an M car and they are going to "track it". Ooohhh ahhhhh ...impreeeessssive !
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144420.00
      03-11-2020, 05:56 AM   #49
TorontoGambler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 Inscription

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
It's a real M. Until you drive it and realize straight away it's not even close.. But the posers will have fun telling everyone they got an M car and they are going to "track it". Ooohhh ahhhhh ...impreeeessssive !
I fail to understand the hate? It seems like a great car but if someone has an M3 they need to point out it’s not an M3... No one is saying it is, it’s better for 90% of people, including a bunch of M3 owners that don’t track their car. It has more comfort, practicality and enough speed to make you smile.
Appreciate 2
Swappy531.50
      03-11-2020, 06:26 AM   #50
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoGambler View Post
Quote:
I fail to understand the hate? It seems like a great car but if someone has an M3 they need to point out it's not an M3... No one is saying it is, it's better for 90% of people, including a bunch of M3 owners that don't track their car. It has more comfort, practicality and enough speed to make you smile.
Quote:
Quote:
I fail to understand the hate? It seems like a great car but if someone has an M3 they need to point out it's not an M3... No one is saying it is, it's better for 90% of people, including a bunch of M3 owners that don't track their car. It has more comfort, practicality and enough speed to make you smile.
No hate; it's more comfortable and easier to live with than an M3.

I had an M340 loaner it's a great car!

I never plan to track my F80 also and it's overkill for
Street use. Just like my 2011 ZX10R; I did take that to a track.

Enjoy what you have
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2020, 06:40 AM   #51
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
I fail to understand the hate? It seems like a great car but if someone has an M3 they need to point out it’s not an M3... No one is saying it is, it’s better for 90% of people, including a bunch of M3 owners that don’t track their car. It has more comfort, practicality and enough speed to make you smile.
It's down to insecurity.

I agree with them that there is a clear difference between the M3 and M340, but the condescension and derision from some M3 owners is bizarre.
Appreciate 3
Swappy531.50
chenry2355.50
      03-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #52
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

I was expecting a frozen fjord blue.... like a matte fjord 2002. Exterior is cool, interior is gross.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:16 AM   #53
aliusa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

What's up with blue interiors? Saw the new C8 Vette with this ugly af blue interior 🤮
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
oz555671.00
      03-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #54
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliusa View Post
What's up with blue interiors? Saw the new C8 Vette with this ugly af blue interior 🤮
For me blue is exterior color only. I don't like blue ambient light neither.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #55
bellguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 440I M sport

Don't like anything about it, don't like the shape of the new G20 and i sure do NOT like that awful interior

Drove the 2.0 petrol last week as a loaner and it was nice to drive but i would not swap my 440i for one anytime soon.
My opinion only of course and each to our own.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #56
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
I wish our local Malaysian market can have such beautiful colour combo.
      03-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #57
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
I am personally extremely excited to see the monster the new G80/82 is going to be - large grill and all!
I completely agree with you there. I think the G80 is going to be fantastic and i'm excited for it. 500+hp, RWD, 6 speed manual. I'm in. Unless of course, GM drops the hammer on a C8 Z06 under 80K lol.
SaMaster144420.00
      03-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #58
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It's down to insecurity.

I agree with them that there is a clear difference between the M3 and M340, but the condescension and derision from some M3 owners is bizarre.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It's down to insecurity.

It's more pride in the heritage of the M3.

Anyone who got an M340 could of picked up a CPO
F80; even stretched for an M5 non cpo

If you're in a conversation debating a M340 and M3 it's not budget it's a choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #59
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree! My above post explains more fully, but BMW themselves have denominated the M340i as a "real" M car, and it will be placed in the "M line up" along side the G80 M3 and G80 M3 Competition; while they 330i stands alone as the standard/basic 3 series.

While I understand the marketing ploy for the vast majority of people buying these cars who just want a badge and some power for a low lease price, it irks me as an "enthusiast"

No hate for the car at all; I just don't think people can say that there is the same amount of differentiation between the m340i and the G80 M3 as there is between the G80 M3 and the G80 M3 competition; the M340i and the upcoming M3 will be *completely different* cars, while the M3 and M3 comp will be separated by a body kit and a tune (or we can use the 5 series as a marker, since the M550i and it's M5 and M5 competition counterparts are already available alongside one another).

My point is that BMW has now made it clear that the M40i class is in the M division with the M and M "Competition". (Mercedes has done the same with its "43/53 AMG line" which is even more egregious because those engines aren't even built by AMG which used to be its own company)

I was explaining that Audi, as much as it pains me to say it, got the badging right - A line vs. S line vs. RS line

Disclaimer: I am really not hating on the m340i or calling it "not" an M car; I think it's a great, powerful, sporty sedan. But I don't think it will be in the same league as the G80 and still think it's comparing apples to oranges with the F8x.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3376.00
      03-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #60
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree! My above post explains more fully, but BMW themselves have denominated the M340i as a "real" M car, and it will be placed in the "M line up" along side the G80 M3 and G80 M3 Competition; while they 330i stands alone as the standard/basic 3 series.

While I understand the marketing ploy for the vast majority of people buying these cars who just want a badge and some power for a low lease price, it irks me as an "enthusiast"

No hate for the car at all; I just don't think people can say that there is the same amount of differentiation between the m340i and the G80 M3 as there is between the G80 M3 and the G80 M3 competition; the M340i and the upcoming M3 will be *completely different* cars, while the M3 and M3 comp will be separated by a body kit and a tune (or we can use the 5 series as a marker, since the M550i and it's M5 and M5 competition counterparts are already available alongside one another).

My point is that BMW has now made it clear that the M40i class is in the M division with the M and M "Competition". (Mercedes has done the same with its "43/53 AMG line" which is even more egregious because those engines aren't even built by AMG which used to be its own company)

I was explaining that Audi, as much as it pains me to say it, got the badging right - A line vs. S line vs. RS line

Disclaimer: I am really not hating on the m340i or calling it "not" an M car; I think it's a great, powerful, sporty sedan. But I don't think it will be in the same league as the G80 and still think it's comparing apples to oranges with the F8x.
Your points are all valid and without debate especially among true enthusiast. Totally agree that Audi got their badging right. And yeah, I could see myself in a 340i X Dr. with a tune. When I'm 80
Appreciate 2
SaMaster144420.00
2011ninja3376.00
      03-11-2020, 07:30 PM   #61
TorontoGambler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 Inscription

I get what you’re trying to say but it’s semantics. Who cares if BMW puts it in with the traditional M, it doesnt change the M3 in any way. I don’t care what the cars are called we’re all picking cars based on the attributes we want and need. As a stand-alone the M340i works for me and it seems for many others, and while I don’t care where it is in the hierarchy it actually seems to be pretty directly in the middle of the base and the upcoming M3.
Appreciate 1
Ramos861.00
      03-12-2020, 07:21 AM   #62
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relak View Post
What is with the flatness of the seats..? Going into a turn I feel like I would slide right off into the doors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relak View Post
What is with the flatness of the seats..? Going into a turn I feel like I would slide right off into the doors.
Well in America the roads are straight. There are hardly any turns. You can drive from NY to key west and it would be straight.

Speed limits are so low in any roads that have twists in them you will not fall out of the seat or spill your open cup of coffee.

No need to worry.

Remember wash your hands stop the spread of covid 19
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 12:16 PM   #63
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

What a stunning car ... nearly perfect in every way.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #64
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Looks good and have good power for not being an M3. Excellent for a daily driver!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 11:48 PM   #65
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Love this color!

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 02:44 AM   #66
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
A frozen dark grey M340i xDrive First Edition is currently on show at Abu Dhabi BMW. Interesting take on the interior colour selection!
The interior is worthy of a color blind individual or belongs on a boat. The rest seems ok, except the truck sits so high.
Appreciate 0