Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions New M340i - Thoughts and questions

09-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #45
pabrognara
Enlisted Member
Brazil
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C 21/21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarSmell View Post
Following this thread because I'm looking at the possibility of an M340i. I'd be returning to BMW after having sold my e92 335i coupe last year. Two sets of questions for those of you with experience and knowledge on the subjects:

1. My dealer doesn't have an M340i, just the 330i. I've driven that, and it's great. But, my 335i was the N54 engine (which I loved, when it worked), and I have a turbo 4 now, which is OK, but not great. The 330i turbo 4 is very good, but it's just not the same. There aren't any M340i cars near me, and I wouldn't have a chance to test drive one before buying. I can't imagine being disappointed, especially after having enjoyed the 330i on the test drive. Is there anything I should be aware of about the M340i (drivetrain related) that might be a negative surprise? Throttle mapping? Anything?

2. For me, adaptive cruise control and heating steering wheel are must-haves. Other options, I could take them or leave them. Are there any that are so amazingly great that I should insist on them? Any that are gimmicks or simply overrated that aren't worth it, or should be avoided?

Any other general advice?

Signed,

Possibly Returning to BMW
I would absolutely go for the 340 - the b58 is worth the up charge alone IMO. Throw in the LSD, suspension tweaks and other m goodies and I think it’s a no brainer. If the 340 is in the budget, go for it - you won’t be left wondering about the “what if”.

As for options, I think the HUD is a must. I also recommend the H&K sound upgrade. I think the parking assistant package with the surround view is really nice. As for the other driving aids...I’d say you could do without. Wireless charging/connection is awesome. If you live in a dry/warm climate, then I’d opt for the performance tire package - it gets you the Pilot 4s non-rfts which I’m told are great for improved grip and help with ride quality, too.

Happy hunting and hope you find yourself a winner!
I second u
This powertrain is outstanding. I testdrove m2c and surely It was a little better in gearbox, steering especially. But what s55 really isnt good as b58 is the torque in low rpms. That said s55 still has some disadvantages to b58.
Also I didnt like the m2c in streets too stiff and bouncing for my use that is only road and streets (not tracking).

IMO m340i is the definitive upg over any other 3 series car.
      09-11-2020, 05:52 PM   #46
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabrognara View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarSmell View Post
Following this thread because I'm looking at the possibility of an M340i. I'd be returning to BMW after having sold my e92 335i coupe last year. Two sets of questions for those of you with experience and knowledge on the subjects:

1. My dealer doesn't have an M340i, just the 330i. I've driven that, and it's great. But, my 335i was the N54 engine (which I loved, when it worked), and I have a turbo 4 now, which is OK, but not great. The 330i turbo 4 is very good, but it's just not the same. There aren't any M340i cars near me, and I wouldn't have a chance to test drive one before buying. I can't imagine being disappointed, especially after having enjoyed the 330i on the test drive. Is there anything I should be aware of about the M340i (drivetrain related) that might be a negative surprise? Throttle mapping? Anything?

2. For me, adaptive cruise control and heating steering wheel are must-haves. Other options, I could take them or leave them. Are there any that are so amazingly great that I should insist on them? Any that are gimmicks or simply overrated that aren't worth it, or should be avoided?

Any other general advice?

Signed,

Possibly Returning to BMW
I would absolutely go for the 340 - the b58 is worth the up charge alone IMO. Throw in the LSD, suspension tweaks and other m goodies and I think it's a no brainer. If the 340 is in the budget, go for it - you won't be left wondering about the "what if".

As for options, I think the HUD is a must. I also recommend the H&K sound upgrade. I think the parking assistant package with the surround view is really nice. As for the other driving aids...I'd say you could do without. Wireless charging/connection is awesome. If you live in a dry/warm climate, then I'd opt for the performance tire package - it gets you the Pilot 4s non-rfts which I'm told are great for improved grip and help with ride quality, too.

Happy hunting and hope you find yourself a winner!
I second u
This powertrain is outstanding. I testdrove m2c and surely It was a little better in gearbox, steering especially. But what s55 really isnt good as b58 is the torque in low rpms. That said s55 still has some disadvantages to b58.
Also I didnt like the m2c in streets too stiff and bouncing for my use that is only road and streets (not tracking).

IMO m340i is the definitive upg over any other 3 series car.
Two months of ownership now.

My only real complaint: The squeaking. On startup, the car squeaks going over bumps and other road imperfections. It lasts for about 15 minutes or so before things settle. It's not the end of the world, but it is frustrating and surprising for a car at this price point.

That aside, I love this car. It's a phenomenal daily driver and I've just passed the 1200 mile break in period and it's been great to open it up a bit. I do wish there was just a tad bit more luxury on the inside, but then it'd essentially be a better handling, somewhat smaller 5er.
Appreciate 1
3erMan153.00
      09-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #47
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:

My only real complaint: The squeaking. On startup, the car squeaks going over bumps and other road imperfections. It lasts for about 15 minutes or so before things settle. It's not the end of the world, but it is frustrating and surprising for a car at this price point.

That aside, I love this car. It's a phenomenal daily driver and I've just passed the 1200 mile break in period and it's been great to open it up a bit. I do wish there was just a tad bit more luxury on the inside, but then it'd essentially be a better handling, somewhat smaller 5er.
I would bring it in for service. Mine doesn't squeak at all.
EXE462100.00
      09-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #48
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
I've had mine for 6 months now and 5k miles and I absolutely love the car too. Don't have any squeaking going on tho, I'd suggest what Burrcold said and take her in.

The way the vehicle up shifts in sport + on hard acceleration is lightning quick! The only complaint I can think of is sometimes in sports + and shifter in S mode (but not manual) it will torque limit the shift going into 3rd gear. I know of a few who also mentioned the same. I think a tune will solve this but it seems to be limited to Xdrive models from what I can gather. Other than that, no oil consumption issues to date and no problems whatsoever. I have a rattling sunroof when the weather gets cold but it goes away. My dealership said they'll fix it when I bring it in next.

Glad you're enjoying the vehicle too
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #49
specialzsp
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:

Might be some lubes drying up. Just bring to dealer and have them check.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:55 PM   #50
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
I was deciding between a c43, m340 and used f82 m4. Ended up going with the m4.

The c43 is slower than the m340. Driven both, been driven in both, and seen them race each other. I agree that the m340 does feel surprisingly fast for not being an M car. C43's interior is definitely nicer with the steering wheel + digi dash looking like its out of a 120k full on AMG.

You made a good decision, because as long as you don't drive an f80 or f82 You'll never realize what you're missing and the g20 will feel perfect. I honestly was going to go with a c43/m340 til I drove an f82 and compared to the M it literally felt like a Honda Accord. It's not something you feel at the track, it's something you feel with any sort of spirited driving. Regardless, the m340 is a great machine. My advice is not to drive an M until you want to buy one lol. It'll make you appreciate the m340 for what it is.

The g20 rides way better and has the nicer interior but I love the F8x driver focused cockpit. Still feels premium without being flashy.
Coming from a M2, I was also tossing up between the F80/82 and the M340i but my view was quite the opposite. I test drove a F80/M340i back to back and the M340i in my opinion was just the better all round car for me. I don't plan on tracking the car so getting another M car just didn't make sense.

In terms of everyday usability I found the M340i offered superior tech, comfort and useable performance.

The ultimate deal breaker for me was the S55 engine in the F80 which I just didn't dig, and then there's the exhaust note! :
Current considering whether or not to trade my OG M2 6MT for a Portimao Blue on Cognac. I'm afraid I'll miss rowing gears on back roads and the roar it makes in sport mode. The interior is just ok though. Well, it's the seats really. Why did they just put normal seats in it?
      09-15-2020, 11:56 PM   #51
Auditobimmer42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:

I am a few days in and noticed something similar as well. It is like I hear something behind me but it does away after a short while.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:54 AM   #52
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial328i View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
I was deciding between a c43, m340 and used f82 m4. Ended up going with the m4.

The c43 is slower than the m340. Driven both, been driven in both, and seen them race each other. I agree that the m340 does feel surprisingly fast for not being an M car. C43's interior is definitely nicer with the steering wheel + digi dash looking like its out of a 120k full on AMG.

You made a good decision, because as long as you don't drive an f80 or f82 You'll never realize what you're missing and the g20 will feel perfect. I honestly was going to go with a c43/m340 til I drove an f82 and compared to the M it literally felt like a Honda Accord. It's not something you feel at the track, it's something you feel with any sort of spirited driving. Regardless, the m340 is a great machine. My advice is not to drive an M until you want to buy one lol. It'll make you appreciate the m340 for what it is.

The g20 rides way better and has the nicer interior but I love the F8x driver focused cockpit. Still feels premium without being flashy.
Coming from a M2, I was also tossing up between the F80/82 and the M340i but my view was quite the opposite. I test drove a F80/M340i back to back and the M340i in my opinion was just the better all round car for me. I don't plan on tracking the car so getting another M car just didn't make sense.

In terms of everyday usability I found the M340i offered superior tech, comfort and useable performance.

The ultimate deal breaker for me was the S55 engine in the F80 which I just didn't dig, and then there's the exhaust note! :
Current considering whether or not to trade my OG M2 6MT for a Portimao Blue on Cognac. I'm afraid I'll miss rowing gears on back roads and the roar it makes in sport mode. The interior is just ok though. Well, it's the seats really. Why did they just put normal seats in it?
Both are great cars. Although my main reason for letting my OG M2 go was because I needed 4 doors as I do school drops regularly, and because I changed jobs which meant my daily commute increased to over 2.5hrs driving time each day therefore I needed a more comfortable car.

IMO the OG M2 in manual is a unique car and a much better drivers car. I wouldn't have let mine go if I didn't have to.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #53
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I would bring it in for service. Mine doesn't squeak at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
I've had mine for 6 months now and 5k miles and I absolutely love the car too. Don't have any squeaking going on tho, I'd suggest what Burrcold said and take her in.

The way the vehicle up shifts in sport + on hard acceleration is lightning quick! The only complaint I can think of is sometimes in sports + and shifter in S mode (but not manual) it will torque limit the shift going into 3rd gear. I know of a few who also mentioned the same. I think a tune will solve this but it seems to be limited to Xdrive models from what I can gather. Other than that, no oil consumption issues to date and no problems whatsoever. I have a rattling sunroof when the weather gets cold but it goes away. My dealership said they'll fix it when I bring it in next.

Glad you're enjoying the vehicle too
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialzsp View Post
Might be some lubes drying up. Just bring to dealer and have them check.
I scheduled a service appointment for this Saturday. We'll see how it goes - I'm not too optimistic, my impression is that they'd have to essentially take the car apart to truly address the issue? Anyway...keeping my fingers crossed, and I'll update with results.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #54
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditobimmer42 View Post
Quote:

I am a few days in and noticed something similar as well. It is like I hear something behind me but it does away after a short while.
Might be the rear window tail light plastic housing is loose
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #55
GitToDeChoppah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I just got a hell of an offer on a m340i with a trade in on my 2015 MT f80. It’s my daily and I love it as my daily. I’m going to test drive it on Saturday, but I am weary. I love my f80, and I don’t think the m340i is going to scratch that itch like my m3, but I am always willing to try something especially when it’s a decent deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #56
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitToDeChoppah View Post
I just got a hell of an offer on a m340i with a trade in on my 2015 MT f80. It’s my daily and I love it as my daily. I’m going to test drive it on Saturday, but I am weary. I love my f80, and I don’t think the m340i is going to scratch that itch like my m3, but I am always willing to try something especially when it’s a decent deal.
Keep us posted! I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are after the test drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #57
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
What is that “hell Of an offer”?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #58
GitToDeChoppah
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM340i View Post
What is that “hell Of an offer”?
Below invoice, plus two big incentives at about 10k. And 2k over bluebook on trade in
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #59
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Below invoice, plus two big incentives at about 10k. And 2k over bluebook on trade in
Sounds good.
I came off an F80 and to tell you the truth, the cars are very different. Those that call this an M-lite have no idea what an M is...

With that said, an M3 was my dream since I was 6 and I fulfilled that dream however, did not utilize more than 30-40% of the car potential. It can be a daily, but not what it's intended to be. I loved every minute of the expensive toy, however, the M340i is refined, quiet, smooth, stable and fast. New basic tech is nice, although my F80 was loaded and I turned off most of it...
I do not need anything more than that.
Sometimes I do miss the rawness or the loudness of the F80, however, I am glad I have experienced it and realized that an M and non-M cars are in a different league. M340i is much closer to the 330i than to an F80...

And the monthly payment savings was a great incentive for me...

Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:49 PM   #60
Auditobimmer42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
in a different league. M340i is much closer to the 330i than to an F80...
You perfectly summed that up. I never owned an M3, but was dead set on getting one. After a few extensive drives, I realized quickly that the F8x is in another league. Sure, the M340i can hang in a straight-line speed test and feels just as quick, but the buck stops there. I am not enough of a gearhead to eloquently explain it, but in layman's terms, it was like a race car lol.

I realized that I do not need all of that and would rarely unlock the full potential. After driving the M340 I felt like that was the sweet spot for me. I enjoy the comfort but also like to smash the pedal from a stop light every now and then lol
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #61
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditobimmer42 View Post
Quote:
in a different league. M340i is much closer to the 330i than to an F80...
You perfectly summed that up. I never owned an M3, but was dead set on getting one. After a few extensive drives, I realized quickly that the F8x is in another league. Sure, the M340i can hang in a straight-line speed test and feels just as quick, but the buck stops there. I am not enough of a gearhead to eloquently explain it, but in layman's terms, it was like a race car lol.

I realized that I do not need all of that and would rarely unlock the full potential. After driving the M340 I felt like that was the sweet spot for me. I enjoy the comfort but also like to smash the pedal from a stop light every now and then lol
I've never driven an M car and am really curious about the experience. The M340i does so much so well that I have a hard time wrapping my head around what it must be like in an M
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 12:07 PM   #62
GitToDeChoppah
Enlisted Member
Rep

Test drove a well equipped 2021 yesterday and I was impressed with the tech, comfort and performance. I am still trying to figure out if I like it enough to replace my MT F80. It is 6 years newer... I feel like I need to have an extended period with it to know for sure, but it was an awesome car.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 12:40 PM   #63
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

I am in the process of selling my 7 series now and have owned 5 in total. I have had my run with the 7 and my first BMW was a 98 528i. I am really torn on what I should get now and pretty much made my mind up on a M340i. My wife's vert was in the shop from my sister backing into it and I had a 530i and it was much more comfortable than the M340i and had the amenities my 7 had. This had me thinking maybe I should get the F90 M5 now. I am also waiting for the G80 to drop and am considering this. Don't get me wrong, I think the M340i is a great car but am wondering if I will miss the full leather, window shades, telescopic steering and some of the other qualities you dont get in a 3 series.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 10:43 PM   #64
Casone238
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Coming from a C43 that's some of the things that bug me about the 3 series, no panoramic sunroof when the 2 series gets it smh powered telescoping steering wheel. The head rest of seat should also be powered along with the thigh extension. The seating stuff isn't that big of a deal since once you set it your preferences you won't really mess with it
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #65
SunsetSleeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340Xi

Quote:

I am in the same boat as you man. I went for the M340 because I didn't want an older M3 body and no tech. I did a muffler delete and it sounds abosolutely INSANE!! I love this car but will still get the new M3 when it comes out
Appreciate 1
Ikester192124.00