Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Will OTA software update erase coding?

10-06-2020, 09:03 AM   #23
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron G15 View Post
Firstly, I’ve used Zed for coding...really good guy. Very straight up and honest. To answer you’re question on mine, some of the coding was lost and some remained.

I lost the DRL menu options (on/off and front/back). I also lost Comfort PLUS (the PLUS is coded in the UK it’s not there by default) and I lost tire pressure temp display.....all of these (except comfort plus) I easily put back withBimmercode.

What was not lost...the Assisted driving view in the instrument cluster....the one that shows you the vehicle (truck, car, bike) in front of you...Also the assisted overtaking remained (the one where you flick the indicator and the car overtakes the vehicle in front). The assisted driving view in the instrument display was originally not present on my vehicles so Zed coded it.

I’ve got an 840D Launch edition. Hope this helps
J
Thats interesting. The only reasons the ADV coding would not be removed are:
1) DKOMBI was not programmed and coded as part of the software upgrade. very unlikely
2) the upgraded code activated ADV by default. It doesn't do this on the G05. I'll check the G15...

Assuming you mean auto lane change, it's possible that was VO Coded by your coder and would be expected to persist.

Edit: OK G15 and ADV. It's active if:
- the car has 5AU (DAP) and was built post 07/19 OR
- has 5AR (Traffi jam assistant) and was built post 11/18 and is Japan region car

Last edited by ifr; 10-06-2020 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 07:27 AM   #24
Baron G15
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G15 8 Series, Audi Q8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Thats interesting. The only reasons the ADV coding would not be removed are:
1) DKOMBI was not programmed and coded as part of the software upgrade. very unlikely
2) the upgraded code activated ADV by default. It doesn't do this on the G05. I'll check the G15...

Assuming you mean auto lane change, it's possible that was VO Coded by your coder and would be expected to persist.

Edit: OK G15 and ADV. It's active if:
- the car has 5AU (DAP) and was built post 07/19 OR
- has 5AR (Traffi jam assistant) and was built post 11/18 and is Japan region car
Apologizes...I’ve given some partially incorrect info here. I’ll now be as accurate as possible and if you’ve got any additional questions I’ll ask Zed for the answer.

The car is a UK spec launch edition G15 840D. It’s original I-step was 11/2018.
The car came with driver assistant professional, traffic jam assistant and was able to automatically change lanes by utilizing the turn signal. It did NOT have assisted driver view (where you can see a car, bike , truck in the instrument binnacle display).

I really wanted ADV and when Zed tried to code it, it would not work.
I had to go to the dealer and the Istep was upgraded to 11/19.

After the dealer updated the car...I still didn’t have ADV AND auto lane change disappeared / was no longer available

Zed was able to code the ADV and switch auto lane change back on.

I got an OTA remote upgrade message this July and was really excited as I was looking forward to the ‘enhanced digital assistant’ which was now supposed to be able to change driving mode (sport, comfort etc) via voice command, as I find it distracting to look down to change modes.

The upgrade worked without a problem but, I seemed to lose rather than gain functionality.

I got the rules app (I can set a trigger for the heated seat to switch on and a gps location to wind the window down...I did NOT get the heated steering wheel trigger even though I have a heated steering wheel)...and I got the app that messes with the climate control to relax or wake you up....I still can’t tell if I got the cloud navigation (I have the Yelp reviews etc, but the keyword search and general navigation appears to be no different than before)

I got zero improvement to the digital voice assistant and in fact lost functionality...a long press on the steering wheel mic button no longer activated Siri....this was a major negative as the only effective way of calling up Apple playlists is via Siri. When I quizzed a Genius on this they said that the long press to activate Siri had been deactivated while using the BMW idrive system, and now it only worked when using Apple CarPlay....the reason given was that it was confusing for customers..... additionally, the digital voice enhancements (Drive mode select etc) had not made it into this update and would probably be delivered via OTA in Nov.

As per my original post in this thread, I listed what the OTA had reset on the things I’d had coded, where I made a mistake was on auto lane change.

The update absolutely did NOT overwrite assisted driving view...I have it permanently switched on and it’s still there. What it has erased and I incorrectly said it hadn’t is Auto lane Change....I’m almost never on a motorway and haven’t been since the July OTA, so I hadn’t realized it has been overwritten (It’s no longer present in the settings menu).

A couple of questions IFR if you don’t mind

1. I was told that the code for the steering wheel long press to activate Siri has been removed...is that the case, or could I find someone to code the feature back on

2. Did the digital voice assistant get the extended commands (voice activation of driving modes sport, comfort etc) in July, or have they not rolled out the enhancements yet

3. What is extended traffic jam assistant? (as opposed to just traffic jam assistant) and how can I tell if I have the extended version.

If you’d like to know how ZED coded my ADV I can ask him and revert back
Thanks

J
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 08:08 AM   #25
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Apologizes...I’ve given some partially incorrect info here. I’ll now be as accurate as possible and if you’ve got any additional questions I’ll ask Zed for the answer.

The car is a UK spec launch edition G15 840D. It’s original I-step was 11/2018.
The car came with driver assistant professional, traffic jam assistant and was able to automatically change lanes by utilizing the turn signal. It did NOT have assisted driver view (where you can see a car, bike , truck in the instrument binnacle display).

I really wanted ADV and when Zed tried to code it, it would not work.
I had to go to the dealer and the Istep was upgraded to 11/19.

After the dealer updated the car...I still didn’t have ADV AND auto lane change disappeared / was no longer available

Zed was able to code the ADV and switch auto lane change back on.

I got an OTA remote upgrade message this July and was really excited as I was looking forward to the ‘enhanced digital assistant’ which was now supposed to be able to change driving mode (sport, comfort etc) via voice command, as I find it distracting to look down to change modes.

The upgrade worked without a problem but, I seemed to lose rather than gain functionality.

I got the rules app (I can set a trigger for the heated seat to switch on and a gps location to wind the window down...I did NOT get the heated steering wheel trigger even though I have a heated steering wheel)...and I got the app that messes with the climate control to relax or wake you up....I still can’t tell if I got the cloud navigation (I have the Yelp reviews etc, but the keyword search and general navigation appears to be no different than before)

I got zero improvement to the digital voice assistant and in fact lost functionality...a long press on the steering wheel mic button no longer activated Siri....this was a major negative as the only effective way of calling up Apple playlists is via Siri. When I quizzed a Genius on this they said that the long press to activate Siri had been deactivated while using the BMW idrive system, and now it only worked when using Apple CarPlay....the reason given was that it was confusing for customers..... additionally, the digital voice enhancements (Drive mode select etc) had not made it into this update and would probably be delivered via OTA in Nov.

As per my original post in this thread, I listed what the OTA had reset on the things I’d had coded, where I made a mistake was on auto lane change.

The update absolutely did NOT overwrite assisted driving view...I have it permanently switched on and it’s still there. What it has erased and I incorrectly said it hadn’t is Auto lane Change....I’m almost never on a motorway and haven’t been since the July OTA, so I hadn’t realized it has been overwritten (It’s no longer present in the settings menu).

A couple of questions IFR if you don’t mind

1. I was told that the code for the steering wheel long press to activate Siri has been removed...is that the case, or could I find someone to code the feature back on

2. Did the digital voice assistant get the extended commands (voice activation of driving modes sport, comfort etc) in July, or have they not rolled out the enhancements yet

3. What is extended traffic jam assistant? (as opposed to just traffic jam assistant) and how can I tell if I have the extended version.

If you’d like to know how ZED coded my ADV I can ask him and revert back
Thanks

J
Thanks for the clarification makes a bit more sense now.

I'm still puzzled how ADV coding persisted post your OTA i-step update. The only way it would 'survive' is if its an FA modification, which this feature isn't, except in Japan, or if KOMBI was not programmed and/or recoded during the upgrade process.

I originally discovered and published the coding for ADV hence my interest in how it persisted. I assume Zed just coded DKOMBI with the 3-4 codes I published, but if he did something funky please post.

I can't answer 1 + 2 as I use CarPlay, so the long press is always Siri for me, which I like. Sometimes use Google Assistant too, but it's less integrated.

eTJA is the hands off driving feature that is available in some markets, such as North America, but not over here in the EU unfortunately. Allows indefinite hands off driving up to 40mph on motorways.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 08:31 AM   #26
Baron G15
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G15 8 Series, Audi Q8

Thanks for the reply...

I’ll ask Zed how he coded it and come back to you
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 01:01 PM   #27
Msb12i
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Coded G21 330E

Quote:
Thanks for the reply...

I’ll ask Zed how he coded it and come back to you
My G21 came with ADV unlocked. Got it 2 weeks ago.

I had the coding options on a paper ready to code. Surprise it was already there. Perhaps BMW is rolling it out on other cars aswell?

And yes,

OTA will erase coding. OTA updates can be disabled in my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 10:13 AM   #28
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Depends on how they code it. Lane change assistant can be VO coded so would persist after a software upgrade if the FA was written to the car.

FDL coding will be erased during the second phase of the coding session, where the car is VO coded against the car's current FA.
ifr - sorry to revive this. Can you clarify what you mean by “if FA was written to car.”?

I FA coded anti-dazzle using this but I’m not sure if I need to recode the listed ECUs. Can you confirm?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 12:24 AM   #29
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

If you vo coded the modules its OK. No need to write fa to the car. Writing fa to the vcm will enable you to vo code next time instead if modifying the fa again.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 10:16 AM   #30
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Actually my FA/VO is still as-is without 5AP after software upgrade. I didn't code all the modules either: all I did was FDL code. Anti-dazzle is working; tested last night and high beams stay on with oncoming traffic and while driving behind another vehicle. It's also not sensitive to reflectors and street signs.
Appreciate 0