Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Valuation - Depreciation

10-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

Valuation - Depreciation

I’m probably quite unique here, but has anyone thought about selling their car and had it valued?

I bought mine end of June so 3-4 months ago and paid £33k from memory. 69 reg ex demo, 330i with tech pack and laser lights.
It’s on 12k miles and now apparently worth £26k!?

Is it just me or is that a big loss? I was told BMW don’t hold their value very well, I took that with a pinch of salt but either way all the main places and trade in cap out at £26k. Seems quite a lot to lose so quickly?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:17 AM   #2
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I don't think you're alone. Over on the other boards people have parted with M5's as not being driven enough now, lost a job etc. This virus has fucked everybody in some way - rich or poor. I sold my E46 M3 weekend toy. I was down to one car at one point but disliked the Mercedes that much I had to get back into a BMW.

The car market is a mess. Some dealers inflating prices to hold on to stock or try and maximise their margins. It doesn't make any sense.

When you purchased yours... the price usually includes headroom for warranty and any preparation work but on a 2019 you'd still have two years of warranty. There probably was not much to put right bar the odd wheel. Usually there is not much profit on flipping a used car for the dealership. Often less than 1k or half but sometimes they do make a killing.

I was speaking to an insurance valuation guy when my car was written off by a flood. It's interesting how they calculate it. If I recall correctly it is something like deduct £54.23 per 1000 miles over average mileage for age.

The deprecation is sharpest in the first four years with 23 per cent to 38 per cent off the price you purchased from - IIRC. I don't think it's a BMW thing. A brand new car purchased on a new plate from the showroom loses more than 10 per cent when you drive it off the forecourt.

You lose a little more each time there is a new owner.
Apparently full main dealer history doesn't make a difference to price but a full history can i.e. a car fully serviced regardless of where nets more than one that was not.

CAP is just a guide. Everything is a guide at the end of the day. I think the BCA database is more trustworthy. They actually shift cars and not just track transactions/sale prices like CAP.

Take for example my used (new to me) 435d high specification purchased for 24,000 in 2014 with 33k miles. Fast forward to 2020! The same specification, year, model, mileage was selling for the same price, 24,000. I presented my BCA research to the dealer and said the car was worth 18k tops with their margin. The dealership told me they wouldn't knock 4-5k off the asking price may be 1k maximum. That's the kind of mess we're dealing with here.

My advice would be... Scan all the adverts online to see what yours would sell for. Make sure it's as close specification, condition and mileage to yours. Also try all the resources such as we buy any car... may be even car wow... go with the highest price. Selling private may net you more but it can be time consuming and tedious.

If you genuinely don't need it or it makes no financial sense to keep it then part with it. If you can ride it out or may need a car next year then keep in mind prices are on the up. Buying something used like the one you have now will cost more and you'll incur lots of costs all over. However, if you buy older then you can avoid the high road tax.

I nearly went electric. I drove the i3s but with the mileage I do the range did not cut it. Time charging is another issue but the internal combustion engine (ICE) is on it's way out and more brands are going hybrid and electric. I'd be interested in the i4 although I'd need to hack the front end to pieces. At this rate I will probably go Tesla in the future.

Final thoughts:

Appreciate 1
      10-17-2020, 06:31 AM   #3
drykoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 408 1.2GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funboy78 View Post
I’m probably quite unique here, but has anyone thought about selling their car and had it valued?

I bought mine end of June so 3-4 months ago and paid £33k from memory. 69 reg ex demo, 330i with tech pack and laser lights.

Is it just me or is that a big loss? I was told BMW don’t hold their value very well, I took that with a pinch of salt but either way all the main places and trade in cap out at £26k. Seems quite a lot to lose so quickly?
Doesn't matter what brand of car, you will lose at least 10% just from driving it out of the Used Car showroom.
There isn't one as nice as yours on BMW AUC at the moment, but slightly older and vanila 330i MSport with similar mileage are selling for about £26k. Yours is a lot nicer and might be worth about £28-29k on private sale.
If you try Wizzle or Motorway, you can quickly get some quotes.

Premium used car prices are high at the moment, but you also bought at a time when prices had already gone up from the lows in Feb-March.
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13342.00
      10-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
I don't think you're alone. Over on the other boards people have parted with M5's as not being driven enough now, lost a job etc. This virus has fucked everybody in some way - rich or poor.

The car market is a mess. Some dealers inflating prices to hold on to stock or try and maximise their margins. It doesn't make any sense.

When you purchased yours... the price usually includes headroom for warranty and any preparation work but on a 2019 you'd still have two years of warranty. There probably was not much to put right bar the odd wheel. Usually there is not much profit on flipping a used car for the dealership. Often less than 1k or half but sometimes they do make a killing.
Firstly..... Thanks for the detailed reply!

It’s what I pretty much thought, but still seems a lot to lose. I do love how the dealers want to offer pence and sell for pounds! I traded in my RS5 for this BMW at £49,500. I then saw it up for sale at Audi for £57,000 and It was sold in 5 days! Unreal!

Well, with COVID and the market up and down sadly it just looks like that’s the way it is at the moment.

Thanks again for the response!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #5
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drykoke View Post
Doesn't matter what brand of car, you will lose at least 10% just from driving it out of the Used Car showroom.
There isn't one as nice as yours on BMW AUC at the moment, but slightly older and vanila 330i MSport with similar mileage are selling for about £26k. Yours is a lot nicer and might be worth about £28-29k on private sale.
If you try Wizzle or Motorway, you can quickly get some quotes.

Premium used car prices are high at the moment, but you also bought at a time when prices had already gone up from the lows in Feb-March.
Thanks for the suggestions!!

Well I’ve put a deposit down today on another car.

The agreed trade in on mine is £26,200 so I think I might try the places you suggested. Webuyanycar is offering £26k also, but ultimately I might just try a week on autotrader in the hope for £27-£28k. I need every penny for the new one as monthly payments are quite high.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13342.00
      10-17-2020, 11:46 AM   #6
drykoke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

The agreed trade in on mine is £26,200 so I think I might try the places you suggested. Webuyanycar is offering £26k also, but ultimately I might just try a week on autotrader in the hope for £27-£28k. I need every penny for the new one as monthly payments are quite high.
Wow great work, that's quick, what did you decide to buy instead?
I think you posted photos of your car back in June, and it looks fantastic - blue with M Sport Plus pack.
Hopefully you will get a better price than the stealer's trade-in. Some other person on Wizzle was offering me a few hundred quid better than part-exchange, but I haven't yet found a suitable G20 to buy,so I didn't go ahead.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drykoke View Post
Wow great work, that's quick, what did you decide to buy instead?
I think you posted photos of your car back in June, and it looks fantastic - blue with M Sport Plus pack.
Hopefully you will get a better price than the stealer's trade-in. Some other person on Wizzle was offering me a few hundred quid better than part-exchange, but I haven't yet found a suitable G20 to buy,so I didn't go ahead.
Not to everyone’s taste I know..... but I went for the Audi RSQ3 Sportback in Kyalami green.

Yes I did post my 330i pics.
Don’t get me wrong, it looks nice, spec is good as I’m quite fussy but it’s just not for me.
I did consider the M340i, but gone back to my Audi’s I’m afraid.

Wizzle and Motorway were Ok but more a less same as BMW so autotrader last resort now before exchanging it in.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 06:54 AM   #8
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Not to everyone’s taste I know..... but I went for the Audi RSQ3 Sportback in Kyalami green.
Now that's a bold colour choice, which I think is great but interested why the Q over a normal RS3 and did you add any further options to it??
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
Now that's a bold colour choice, which I think is great but interested why the Q over a normal RS3 and did you add any further options to it??
To be honest I didn’t spec it. It’s a used 20 reg with only a thousand miles on the clock. It’s the Vorsprung so highest model there is with everything on it.

The reason for not going S3 or RS3 is the interior is becoming dated with the new models imminent, meaning depreciation on current ones will be worse..... so it was a case of what else!? Then the RSQ3 peaked my interest and here we are!

Agreed, bold colour! Not something I would pick and would prefer grey or something, but limited choice on used cars. If any car can pull off bold colours then the RS should be ok lol
Appreciate 1
OM3RTA391.00
      10-18-2020, 04:19 PM   #10
Jgr1249
Private
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:

Tap your details into Motorway.co.uk and chat with the premium sales team - I got £2k more than we buy any car when selling my evoque through them in August. Might be worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 05:26 AM   #11
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Buying a car and keeping it 3-4 months is never going to end well and by the sounds of it, you'll be in for an even bigger shock with the next one!

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 07:08 AM   #12
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
To be honest I didn’t spec it. It’s a used 20 reg with only a thousand miles on the clock. It’s the Vorsprung so highest model there is with everything on it.

The reason for not going S3 or RS3 is the interior is becoming dated with the new models imminent, meaning depreciation on current ones will be worse..... so it was a case of what else!? Then the RSQ3 peaked my interest and here we are!

Agreed, bold colour! Not something I would pick and would prefer grey or something, but limited choice on used cars. If any car can pull off bold colours then the RS should be ok lol
The Q3 is such a marmite car for a lot of people, I being one of those who would have a regular A3 over it although I do completely get where you are coming from and if you got a great deal on it then why not I suppose.

Sorry to see you depart the 'family' and I hope in the end it was worth it
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:19 PM   #13
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I guess going from an RS5 to a 330i was going to leave you a little disappointed. Why did you part with the RS5? I'm not a fan of the coupe SUVs but I think the RSQ3 is a great car, and that 5 pot is a great engine.

I'm also an Audi fan, had an SQ5 and about to get an RS4...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 08:54 AM   #14
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Quote:

On the bright side, think of how much you saved when you purchased compared to buying new. In Jan, I paid £32.5k for the 330i with a few more options (Comfort, Premium and Parking Assistant) with 4,000 miles and was 10 month old at the time, was an ex demo/press car and like new. It would have retailed at over £48k new (I know nobody pays RRP). It's swings and roundabouts at the end of the day.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 02:25 PM   #15
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgr1249 View Post
Tap your details into Motorway.co.uk and chat with the premium sales team - I got £2k more than we buy any car when selling my evoque through them in August. Might be worth a shot.
Thanks mate. Best they could offer was close to 25k so looks like the trade in on this occasion is much better. Worth a try so appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_330e View Post
Buying a car and keeping it 3-4 months is never going to end well and by the sounds of it, you'll be in for an even bigger shock with the next one!
Agree. But ts equal to the loss on my RS5 in 6 months, just seems steep having owned less time. Again I think COVID affecting prices on some brands. A couple of places however have said to me the past couple of days that BMW are one of the worst for depreciation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
The Q3 is such a marmite car for a lot of people, I being one of those who would have a regular A3 over it although I do completely get where you are coming from and if you got a great deal on it then why not I suppose.

Sorry to see you depart the 'family' and I hope in the end it was worth it
Agree! Not for everyone this model.

Thanks tho, as always a great forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I guess going from an RS5 to a 330i was going to leave you a little disappointed. Why did you part with the RS5? I'm not a fan of the coupe SUVs but I think the RSQ3 is a great car, and that 5 pot is a great engine.

I'm also an Audi fan, had an SQ5 and about to get an RS4...
To be fair they aren’t comparable, but the disappointment in all honesty isn’t performance. Personally I’m finding it’s a cheap build quality among loads of other issues, I actually prefer my wife’s Kia Sportage over the 330i in almost every way. Might sound harsh but so true. I did consider the 340i but again it’s not just performance.

It’s a nice car, love the heads up and the laser lights amaze me, but that’s it.

I’ve owned bmw, Audi and many others so it’s not about a fan boy of either brand. I bought the 330i as loved the 335d I owned previously, but imo build quality was better on the previous generation. Let’s just say the latest model is a let down for me personally.

RS4.... lovely! Pricey as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
On the bright side, think of how much you saved when you purchased compared to buying new. In Jan, I paid £32.5k for the 330i with a few more options (Comfort, Premium and Parking Assistant) with 4,000 miles and was 10 month old at the time, was an ex demo/press car and like new. It would have retailed at over £48k new (I know nobody pays RRP). It's swings and roundabouts at the end of the day.
Very very very true!!

Last edited by Funboy78; 10-21-2020 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:56 AM   #16
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:

RS4.... lovely! Pricey as well
you might be surprised. Stock car,Carbon Black edition, with just under 15% discount.... and given good residuals on PCP not much more than an M340iT with a fair few of the packs fitted, which was probably £12k cheaper on headline price but residual is at least that worse!

Good luck with the RSQ3, had been looking at those too, but the prices for the ex demo ones were very healthy - which of course bodes well for the future if you are a serial car changer. I'm hoping the RS4 lasts longer than the M5 (11 months) or SQ5 (23 months) and I can claim it saves me money by keeping it longer #manmaths
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2020, 06:03 AM   #17
drykoke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Agree. But ts equal to the loss on my RS5 in 6 months, just seems steep having owned less time. Again I think COVID affecting prices on some brands. A couple of places however have said to me the past couple of days that BMW are one of the worst for depreciation?
I've worked it out now. Checked several brands of premium, nearly-new cars and found this:

Part-exchange prices stable or only slight increase.
Dealer asking prices for used cars substantially higher. Punters are definitely prepared to pay up - the adverts I watch are marked as sold or reserved within days.

GAP between dealer price and part-exchange price is roughly £4k for cars at £25-30k mark.

It's a dealer's market now. They offer you part-exchange at book value, but they succeed in selling at thousands of pounds above (as you found with your previous RS5).

So, unfortunately your 330i lost £4k soon as you drove it out of the used car showroom. It's not just BMW, it's all the premium brands.

But hope you're enjoying your shiny new Green car.
Appreciate 0