Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum I'm new to BMW. Thinking about getting a 2021 330e but I have a few questions.

10-17-2020, 03:00 AM   #1
starstreak
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS350

I'm new to BMW. Thinking about getting a 2021 330e but I have a few questions.

I was thinking about getting a 2021 330e and I have a few questions that I hope people can answer. So here's the thing. It doesn't HAVE to be a BMW. What I do want is a hybrid (gas/electric plug-in). I looked at the new Hyundai 2021 Sonata Hybrid. Of course cars from Toyota/Lexus, Audi, Mercedes and other manufacturers. I'm looking for something under 60k. And I love technology that comes with a new car.
The Sonata was nice, loved the turn signals have cameras to show what's next to you in your dash display. But I'm not a fan of the look of the front end of the car. Audi looks ok, but for the price, it was more expensive than the 330e. Mercedes didn't have a car in the price range.
The car needs to be able to be driven in electric mode for at least 10 miles. My wife has a Pacifica Hybrid. Having the 30mi range on electric is awesome. My work is close where 10miles would be good enough. And there's a electric charger I could use at work. So if it's anything like the Pacifica, it could go for months without filling up the gas tank.

Ok, so I have a few questions since I never owned a BMW. And the questions pertain mostly to the new 330e model.

I found a manual, and was able to get most of the questions I was going to ask, answered. But there are still a few that I hope some of you could still answer.

1) On the BMW website, you can build your own. Is it possible to get it for the price on the website? Or is most dealers gonna mark it up a lot?
I think I read on this site, it takes about a month? Then I wonder how long it'll take it to reach Hawaii?

2) What's the difference in the M steering wheel vs the stock? Is it just the heater button?

3) Is the M Sport option the only way to get the LED fog lights on the front?

5) Active driving Assistant and Pro. If there's no increase in price between them, why not always choose the Assistant Pro?

6) If adding the Executive trim, is the "Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laserlight" are they the same one you see in youtube where it'll block your light on incoming cars so not to blind them yet still give a wide view of lighting?
I read somewhere that the US model is different? Is it less power or it doesn't actually block the highlights to incoming cars, and just fully turns off the highlight? An example is auto-highlights. When no car is detected it just turns on the highlights, and turns it completely off when a car is approaching? If it just does that, then the laserlight is a gimmick in the US?
Also, what does the term "Icon Adaptive" mean?

7) The Head-up Display, will it display only things from the BMW car? Or if I have a android/iPhone plugged in, will it show the maps from Waze or Apple Maps or Google Map? What else does the display show? Music that's playing from the radio only? Or will it show carplay information? I heard with android it would show google map? What about from an iPhone?

8) The seating adjustments, besides Lumbar, up/down, front/back, reclining. Is there thigh extension? The instruction manual doesn't mention if that's only available on euro versions only? Is it only available on the seat with the powered lumbar support?

9) When selecting the Executive, it automatically add the "Dynamic Handling Package" which has the Adaptive M Suspension. It includes a "The Dynamic Damper Control and air cushioning on the rear axle are tuned to deliver exceptionally sporty driving characteristics." Would it allow me to get a "softer" ride for bad roads?
The town I live in has bad surface road. But once out of town, the roads are fine. So I would hate getting the M suspension if all it does is make the ride even firmer.

10) When selecting the Executive, do I loose the "open trunk by foot" option? I thought that option was there when I selected the Executive, but then I see a "power tailgate" option for $250 in the individual options. So it's not included?

11) Is adding the "Ambient Lighting package" the only way to get the lighted door handles, puddle lighting (is that from the mirrors or from another part of the car that lights up the area in front of the doors?), and illuminated footwells?
If I don't get the package, then only the ceiling light is on for the inside of the vehicle, no footwell lighting and no exterior lighting?

12) Is the side mirrors power folding a standard feature?

13) When approaching the care, is there any welcome lights that will light up? Or only when I unlock the car something will light up? Or is it only if I get the Ambient lighting package?

14) I like my music, is the Harman Kardon Surround sound worth it? The manual talks about DVD and Blu-ray. Will it actually play those disks? Will it display on the front screen when the car is not in motion?

15) There's an app that can be used with the car, right? Is that something that must be purchased on a monthly basis to use? Or is it free?

This would be the most expensive car I bought. But wondering if all the technology is worth it?

So I'm looking at something like this:

2021 330e Sedan
$44,550
Design
M Sport
$3,800
Portimao Blue Metallic
$550
19" M Double-spoke bi-color jet black wheels, style 791M with performance run-flat tires

Interior
Black SensaTec

High Gloss Fine Wood Ash Grey-Brown Trim

Options
Driving Assistance Professional Package
$1,700
Dynamic Handling Package
$1,400
Executive Package
$2,600
Parking Assistance Package
$700
Ambient Lighting
$250
Harman Kardon surround sound system
$875
Additional Costs
Destination & Handling
$995
Total Price (MSRP)
$57,420
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #2
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

The blindspot cameras are probably the one area where Hyundai trumps BMW... I hope we get that feature soon. But hey, no turn signals needed in a BMW (kidding)
I'm going to try to answer your questions based on my own car (2020 330i) and what I've seen and researched myself, but things might be different for a 330e and Hawaii. I haven't been in a GS, but the 3 series is definitely sportier. And of course it blows the Sonata out of the water. I would recommend test driving first. See if it's comfortable enough, and if you care about the performance/sportiness. If you just want to save money on gas and drive like a granny to and from work or the shops, a Tesla Model 3 is the answer--it has THE most tech. Compared to a cheaper car, the ride is great. It's probably a little firmer than an A4, though. The 3 series is meant to be a sporty (and luxurious) car. It's comfortable and quiet enough, but the suspension is firm. Smaller wheels and non-runflat tires help with that, though.

1) The sticker (MSRP) is the sticker. Add the Destination & Handling charge to the number shown on the website. The only other fees would be dealer/doc fees (haven't seen higher than $799), government fees such as license and registration, and tax (incentives are taxed, meaning you pay tax on the pre-incentive price). I would be surprised to see a 3 series go for over sticker, but I don't know anything about the market in Hawaii. Dealers typically make their money in other, less obvious areas. A $925 acquisition fee applies to leases. Not sure if it's the same for financing. Leasing is probably a better option, even if you plan on buying at the end. BMWs lease well for various reasons. Read up on leasehackr for details about leasing. If leasing, you can expect around 10% off before incentives. But I don't know if that would apply to Hawaii, or if the discount would be eaten up by shipping costs from a dealer outside of your state.
Takes 4-6 weeks or so? There is a thread here on order timelines. Also check leasehackr. Might be longer for Hawaii.

2) They are similar, just a bit different design. The M sport one might be a little thicker. https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1555556156
https://www.autozeitung.de/assets/fi...mw-m340i-5.jpg

3) I think so. My non-M sport doesn't have fogs. And I know the M340i doesn't have fogs. Order guide only mentions fogs in the M sport package. https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1687735 (pricing guide w/ package explanations also here)

4) 04 not found

5) This part:
5AS Active Driving Assistant or ZDY - Driving Assistance Professional Package
means that Active Driving Assistant is included with Pro. There is a big difference between the packages. Active includes rear cross-traffic alert, active lane drifting prevention (NOT assist i.e. constantly moves wheel to stay in lane for you), and speed limit info (if you have navigation). The $1,700 Pro package includes adaptive cruise, side collision avoidance, active lane keeping assist, etc.

6) The lasers are lower-powered in the US. I think it turns off part of the beam, or adjusts the height. CORRECTION: I have "LEDs with cornering" (not laser) on my car. I definitely notice them turn as I turn the wheel, but don't think they do anything else. Icon is just a random word thrown in for marketing. Adaptive is the key word here, and means they adapt/move/adjust vs the base static/non-moving ones. They look better and you might get a few bucks off of your insurance premium for adaptive LEDs.

7) From the latest update (07/2020), Apple maps directions show up in the instrument cluster and the HUD, via Carplay.
View post on imgur.com

It doesn't show the whole thing like on the main infotainment display. Just some part(s). I'm not sure about other uses cases. Definitely limited support, though. I find the HUD useful in the SUVs since you are probably seated higher above the instrument cluster. I don't really miss it in my 3. But you'll be getting it anyway with the Executive package.

8) Thigh support can be adjusted. I think it's only manual in the 3.

9) Adaptive suspension is only a positive.

10) That's part of Comfort Access Keyless Entry. Also includes auto-locking/unlocking doors, auto-folding mirrors, etc. You could consider this to be a base feature, as it's part of all packages and you would struggle to find a car spec'd without the Convenience Package at least. Power tailgate means power closing only.

11) Lights under the doors are standard. Ambient lighting package is required for the welcome lights/carpet with doors closed, as well as strips across the dash, on the doors, and footwells, etc. If you opt for leather seats, you are forced to get ambient lighting. Amazing how this ($250) and remote start ($300) aren't standard features... What is this, Porsche and paying for round wheels and see-through windows?

12) Standard.

13) CORRECTION: The lights come on if you have Comfort Access Keyless Entry. You can change the settings for the lights/auto-unlocking doors. CORRECTION: Ambient lighting package required for welcome lights/carpet. Door handle lights are standard.

14) If ordering, yes. Sounds and looks better than base, although the base system in the US is adequate. Not sure about the DVD/Blu-ray part. It only mentions CD player prep or wiring, not any actual players. You can play videos from a phone on the infotainment screen, though.

15) BMW ConnectedDrive app is free.

Is it worth it? Arguably somewhat inflated price, as with any luxury brand. Do you get what you pay for? I would say so, yes. Is it worth it just for the tech? No. Combined with the performance and handling? Yes.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI

Last edited by Merami fan; 10-18-2020 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
mf44488.50
      10-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
Adam 330e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G21

Definitely get adaptive suspension. Remember the hybrid is significantly heavier than petrol due to battery and motor weight. On bumps and bad roads the AS works like a dream.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #4
starstreak
Private
Rep

Merami fan- thanks for the reply. I'll reply when I get home from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam 330e View Post
Definitely get adaptive suspension. Remember the hybrid is significantly heavier than petrol due to battery and motor weight. On bumps and bad roads the AS works like a dream.
So there's a big difference between sport and "soft" (whatever it's called) with the hybrid? As long as it makes the roads more livable I'm for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 05:09 PM   #5
Adam 330e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstreak View Post

So there's a big difference between sport and "soft" (whatever it's called) with the hybrid? As long as it makes the roads more livable I'm for it.
Absolutely. With AS in comfort mode, the ride is quite comfortable over bumps and rough surfaces. I guess this is why they offer it in the first place. On good flat roads, sport mode gives you more control in high speed. The difference in feedback from the road is clearly noticeable. You can get AS with non-hybrid drivetrains too, but I think it really makes sense with the hybrid which is relatively heavy. I drive a 2021 hybrid G21 with AS and very happy with the ride quality regardless of road surface, AS is a technology that you get to enjoy every inch of every ride, worth the extra $$$
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:30 PM   #6
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Np. Made some corrections regarding ambient lighting and adaptive LEDs. I was mixing up my new 3 series with the X5 I was driving previously.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 03:16 AM   #7
starstreak
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the replies. Been stuck working late and haven't been in the mood to work on getting the new car.. I did have a few more questions to ask but too tired atm. I'll post again. Not ignoring you guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #8
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330Xdrive

Hi Starstreak, welcome. G20 is a great vehicle would perfer the ICE variant.

Here's one more piece of information to consider regarding the 330e.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/08/19/bmw-hybrids-recall/
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ery-fire-issue
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 12:36 AM   #9
starstreak
Private
Rep

Ok. For those who asked me to see the dealership. Here's what happened. I used BMWs website and sent my info the the local dealer that I was interested and had a few questions I wanted answered. In like 15mins I had a reply from the local dealership's manager. He would have one of his salesperson get in touch with me. About 5mins later, I get a generic (how generic? "I see you're interested in our _______" it actually had a blank line.) response saying he is going to help me. So I sent another email asking all my questions. Next day, I get a email asking me for more info like how I was going to pay for it and other financial questions. No response to my questions. I gave the info he asked and asked if he could now answer my questions. I waited for a response.
I waited about a week. No answer. So I wrote back to the manager and CC the salesperson that I was still waiting on answers to my questions. The manager apologized for for a lack of response. He answered my questions. He said I could email him or the salesperson with any other questions I had. I replied back by saying I had more questions to what he told me. But I would wait for a reply from the salesperson.
A few days later, I get a generic email from the same salesperson saying he saw I had an inquiry on the website and I can get back to him for some help or purchase of the vehicle. No answers to my questions again.
I wrote back saying I was still waiting for a reply to my questions. He replied back and answered the first few questions about leasing and warranty. BUT once again, ignored the whole page of questions I had previously asked.
This person doesn't read emails.
I didn't write back. A few days later I get a response if I was still interested and had any more questions.
I wrote back once again stating he didn't answer the rest of my questions. It's been a week since I heard from him.
Being the ONLY dealership here, it's going to be awkward if I eventually go down to buy the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #10
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He replied back and answered the first few questions about leasing and warranty. BUT once again, ignored the whole page of questions I had previously asked.
I didn't write back. A few days later I get a response if I was still interested and had any more questions.
They are only interested in answering questions directly related to signing/giving them money. They aren't going to spend more than a minute on an email without at least a verbally agreed-upon sale. You should say you are in need of a car by the end of the month, and that you are pretty much decided on a 3 series. You just need a test drive to make sure you like the seats and to see the paint options in person, etc. Once in the car, (figuratively) handcuff the salesperson and make them answer your questions.

Do NOT actually sign anything before you research pricing. Leasehackr is a great resource if you plan on leasing. The difference between knowing and getting a good deal and getting taken for a ride by the dealer can be several thousand dollars (or even 5 digits in the absolute worse cases) over 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #11
starstreak
Private
Rep

Lol. Yeah. Don't want to go down till I'm ready to fit in the car. Sounds like I wouldn't get one with all the options I want so it would need to be made. And so far the only things that worries me about the car is the turning circle seems huge for such a small car, and the ride handling over uneven pavement. They don't have a 330e with the ride adjustable suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 06:29 AM   #12
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Quote:
Being the ONLY dealership here, it's going to be awkward if I eventually go down to buy the vehicle.
It is unfortunate to have only one dealer, but that dealer has more than one CA. I would have no problem visiting the dealer and asking for a different CA than I dealt with via email. It's possible to be honest without being insulting or awkward. "I'd like to work with someone who really knows the car and won't pressure me on the sale so fast."

As I find myself in middle age with a low threshold for BS, I now have zero problems making such a request when a salesperson doesn't know the product, pressures me, or - worst of all with luxury products - acts pretentiously.

Maybe the first CA will learn something from the experience when a coworker earns the commission on his or her sale.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #13
obscurehero
Private
Rep
Drives: for fun

Quote:
Ok. For those who asked me to see the dealership. Here's what happened. I used BMWs website and sent my info the the local dealer that I was interested and had a few questions I wanted answered. In like 15mins I had a reply from the local dealership's manager. He would have one of his salesperson get in touch with me. About 5mins later, I get a generic (how generic? "I see you're interested in our _______" it actually had a blank line.) response saying he is going to help me. So I sent another email asking all my questions. Next day, I get a email asking me for more info like how I was going to pay for it and other financial questions. No response to my questions. I gave the info he asked and asked if he could now answer my questions. I waited for a response.
I waited about a week. No answer. So I wrote back to the manager and CC the salesperson that I was still waiting on answers to my questions. The manager apologized for for a lack of response. He answered my questions. He said I could email him or the salesperson with any other questions I had. I replied back by saying I had more questions to what he told me. But I would wait for a reply from the salesperson.
A few days later, I get a generic email from the same salesperson saying he saw I had an inquiry on the website and I can get back to him for some help or purchase of the vehicle. No answers to my questions again.
I wrote back saying I was still waiting for a reply to my questions. He replied back and answered the first few questions about leasing and warranty. BUT once again, ignored the whole page of questions I had previously asked.
I wrote back once again stating he didn't answer the rest of my questions. It's been a week since I heard from him.
My brother-in-law lived on Oahu for awhile and had an M2. Really terrible experience with that dealer. They're not very knowledgeable, they overcharge for their service, and they have no incentives to give you any real deals compared to the mainland.

He is still a BMW customer, but refused to do any more business with them. I really feel bad you have no other choices, but they're actually quite terrible there.
      12-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #14
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

The biggest advantage to a 330e in terms of the connected drive is the ability to turn on the AC or heater with the phone app and run them off the hybrid battery. I do that in the summer time with my 530e after the 17th hole of golf. Works great. Just make sure you leave a little battery capacity for that purpose.
Appreciate 0