Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Apple CarPlay unstable connection

04-26-2023, 08:10 PM   #1
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

Apple CarPlay unstable connection

For about the last month or so I’ve been experiencing a really annoying issue where my music starts breaking up and then my phone disconnects and reconnects as if nothing happened. Sometimes it takes a minute or so for the car to reconnect with the phone. I haven’t done any updates on my car as I’m tuned, but I’m starting to think the recent iOS update is the verdict here and I need to update my cars software.

I hope I’m wrong about needing to do software update on my car because that seems like a pia.

Has anyone else been experiencing issues with apple car play like me?

Any help would be appreciated!

2020 Portimao Blue M340 X Drive and adaptive suspension.
Mods: custom exhaust, VRSF Catted DP, Injen intake and Chargepipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 10:23 PM   #2
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

On the iPhone go to settings>general>reset> reset all settings.

This wont delete any data but it will delete Apple Pay cards and specific settings. This will also make your phone work like it was before you were having problems. Just make note of any important settings you may not remember
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 05:19 PM   #3
jsilvaaa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

I have the same issue. I noticed, at least for me, that it is location dependant. I think it might have to do with some of the wireless tech that on the freeways.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2023, 08:26 AM   #4
Tango22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i Touring

Had issues last week after the 16.4.1a rapid response security patch was released by Apple. My iPhone 12 Pro Max disconnected out of the blue whilst driving and refused to connect back up again to CarPlay.

Tried rolling back the 16.4.1a patch and deleting the phone profile within the car and then rebooting the iDrive, then pairing back up again but it still didn't work.

However, yesterday Apple released an iOS update - 16.5 and I've downloaded that this morning. Popped out to the car and connected back up to CarPlay and appears to be working again.

If you haven't already done so, worth checking and updating to 16.5
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 11:10 AM   #5
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

Hey guys so I forgot to update this thread about this issue I was having. I also asked a Facebook group if they were having this same problem and everyone pretty much said no except this one guy who said his acts up in a certain area. Didn’t think anything of it until couple weeks ago when I driving to work and my car started breaking up and disconnecting right when I got to the Hollywood strip or the streets surrounding it. It did on the way to work and on the way back. Went for a drive throughout the city this past weekend and it didn’t break up once. So this confirmed to me that this is a specific location that causes this problem.
My only theory would be that there’s a lot of frequencies or something in that area and it’s causing a distruption to the signal with my CarPlay.
Going to update to 16.5 to see if helps this and I’ll get back to you guys.

2020 Portimao Blue M340 X Drive and adaptive suspension.
Mods: custom exhaust, VRSF Catted DP, Injen intake and Chargepipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 11:55 PM   #6
resident
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xdrive GC

There are specific areas that are more likely to cause disconnects for me as well, as in 1/4 mile stretches of freeway where is occurs 20% of the time I'm there and unlikely to have disconnects anywhere else. Not sure if it's interference from cell towers, large numbers of 2.4 or 5ghz equipment, or something else.
Appreciate 0