Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Adaptive Suspension vs. Standard - Who has tried both?

09-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #45
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry L View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Sport setting is not adaptive setting.
I think you're missing exactly what the adaptive suspension is. It's always adaptive. All you can manually change about it is if you want the valving of the dampers to be set for comfort or for sport.

If you're talking about the adaptive button on your centre console, this isn't directly related to the suspension. This is an adaptive driving mode that changes all characteristics of the car automatically. It continually adapts all the settings to suit the current driving situation independent of the selected driving mode.
First off, welcome to the forums.

With that being said please read the last page or two of this thread.. and pay (close) attention to the photo posted from BMW's website.

We have beat this to a pulp.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #46
daveshan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, 2020 M340i

It has been beaten to a pulp. I've read every post at least once, but I'm not sure I saw any conclusion. BTW, the description on the BMW website doesn't say much of value, IMO.

Both Sport Individual and Eco Pro Individual allow for selection of a Damping mode, either Comfort or Sport.

Who's on first, if I follow, you were hoping there would be a third choice, "automatic" (adaptive). Or an explanation of why it's not there. Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #47
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
It has been beaten to a pulp. I've read every post at least once, but I'm not sure I saw any conclusion. BTW, the description on the BMW website doesn't say much of value, IMO.

Both Sport Individual and Eco Pro Individual allow for selection of a Damping mode, either Comfort or Sport.

Who's on first, if I follow, you were hoping there would be a third choice, "automatic" (adaptive). Or an explanation of why it's not there. Is that correct?
Correct. The main objective was to see if anyone had a solution/or knowledge why in the "Individual" setting you can pick Comfort or Sport, but not Adaptive. (Strictly suspension settings).

The photo from BMW (imho) does add value, if only to highlight the fact they sell it as a suspension setting and not a drive mode.. as what everyone is saying it is.

They strictly talk about it being a suspension option.

The opposite what everyone else is saying.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:07 AM   #48
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Correct. The main objective was to see if anyone had a solution/or knowledge why in the "Individual" setting you can pick Comfort or Sport, but not Adaptive. (Strictly suspension settings).

The photo from BMW (imho) does add value, if only to highlight the fact they sell it as a suspension setting and not a drive mode.. as what everyone is saying it is.

They strictly talk about it being a suspension option.

The opposite what everyone else is saying.
You are focusing on a photo/description for the adaptive suspension, which is correct, has been so for many different model ranges, including the F3x 3-series. G20 has the Adaptive M suspension option, nothing ambiguous about that, or needing further explanation.

Within the Drive Performance Control, you now have more options than the previous F3x models with Adaptive M suspension. You have the improved Individual setting options and the additional Adaptive Mode.

Once you grasp the additional Adaptive Mode is a separate setting/mode within the Drive Performance Control options list, I can't see how there is a problem. You've not been sold some oddity, you have got more options for running with the Adaptive suspension than previous generations.

Last edited by HighlandPete; 09-25-2019 at 03:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:40 AM   #49
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Perhaps the broad description (from BMW material) of the Adaptive Mode function for the G11/12 will help to clarify that Adaptive Mode is a complete, 'stand alone' programme, within the Drive Performance Control suite.

Quote:
If ADAPTIVE driving mode has been activated via the driving experience switch, the Dynamic Stability Control control unit processes the navigation data to analyses the route and influences the driving program to be activated if necessary. If the vehicle is approaching a sharp bend at high speed, for example, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) activates Sport mode without any action on the part of the driver. The Vertical Dynamics Platform (VDP) reads in this information and activates the corresponding chassis components for Sport mode.

Conversely, an automatic change in driving program from Sport to Comfort is also possible. If the vehicle exits a twisting section of road through which it has been driven at speed and then drives at constant speed on a straight section, this results in automatic change over to the Comfort driving program. This means that the optimum driving mode with respect to comfort (Comfort) and driving dynamics (Sport) is automatically set without manual operation of the driving experience switch depending on the driving style and probable route. Route guidance need not be activated for this.
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2019, 04:10 AM   #50
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Perhaps the broad description (from BMW material) of the Adaptive Mode function for the G11/12 will help to clarify that Adaptive Mode is a complete, 'stand alone' programme, within the Drive Performance Control suite.

Quote:
If ADAPTIVE driving mode has been activated via the driving experience switch, the Dynamic Stability Control control unit processes the navigation data to analyses the route and influences the driving program to be activated if necessary. If the vehicle is approaching a sharp bend at high speed, for example, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) activates Sport mode without any action on the part of the driver. The Vertical Dynamics Platform (VDP) reads in this information and activates the corresponding chassis components for Sport mode.

Conversely, an automatic change in driving program from Sport to Comfort is also possible. If the vehicle exits a twisting section of road through which it has been driven at speed and then drives at constant speed on a straight section, this results in automatic change over to the Comfort driving program. This means that the optimum driving mode with respect to comfort (Comfort) and driving dynamics (Sport) is automatically set without manual operation of the driving experience switch depending on the driving style and probable route. Route guidance need not be activated for this.
There's the problem.

BMW calls (and describes) it two completely different ways.

1) Adaptive Suspension
2) Adaptive Drive Mode
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #51
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
There's the problem.

BMW calls (and describes) it two completely different ways.

1) Adaptive Suspension
2) Adaptive Drive Mode
Sorry, but you have a blind spot on this subject.

Forget "Adaptive Mode" for a moment, you have adaptive suspension in all modes.

I assume you don't have an issue with adaptive suspension in Comfort, Sport, or even Eco Pro Modes, however you choose to set the suspension option? So you run adaptive suspension in all those modes.

Why do you have an issue with the additional Adaptive Mode programme in the options suite?
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2019, 09:12 AM   #52
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

For the G20... from BMW Press Release. (Red text, my highlight).

Quote:
Adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled dampers.

As an alternative to the suspension variants with standard damper technology, customers can also specify Adaptive M suspension....

….ADAPTIVE mode is now also available. With this setting selected, the car automatically adjusts its responses to the driving style and, depending on the equipment specified, to the route profile. The control system responds to accelerator and steering inputs and the position of the selector lever to make the powertrain and suspension characteristics sportier or more comfort-oriented. The map data supplied by the optional navigation system is also used to prepare the car for an upcoming junction or bend.
Adaptive Mode is an added feature in the G20, over and above the previous 3-series models with Adaptive M suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #53
josehb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C Tanzanite Blue

As I understand it from my research is that the standard passive M sport suspension will give a stiffer ride than the adaptive suspension, but it will provide a more consistent feel and better handling than the adaptive one, that is why I did not order my M340i Xdrive with this option as I intend to track this car once a month. I'm willing to give up comfort for a more sportier feel.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #54
Adam 330e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G21

Quote:
But it takes the motor out of eco pro.

I want to adjust the suspension... not the damn motor/trans.
In the individual modes you can save different settings for suspension, steering and engine. You can have the suspension in comfort mode, but enjoy sport steering and gear shifts. I have adaptive M suspension on my 330e xDrive and it rides very comfortably, glad I ordered it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:59 PM   #55
josehb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
For those who are unaware, the Adaptive suspension has the following modes:

ECO
Comfort
Sport Individual
Sport Standard
Sport+
Adaptive

I haven't played with the adaptive mode too much but they claim it uses your driving style, combined with GPS data to continually adjust the settings. For example, if the GPS sees you are about to take a turn too fast the car would automatically stiffen up the steering and suspension. Does anybody have any additional info or experience on this new mode?
You do not need Adaptive dampers to get all this modes, the only extra mode you will get is adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #56
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by josehb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
For those who are unaware, the Adaptive suspension has the following modes:

ECO
Comfort
Sport Individual
Sport Standard
Sport+
Adaptive

I haven't played with the adaptive mode too much but they claim it uses your driving style, combined with GPS data to continually adjust the settings. For example, if the GPS sees you are about to take a turn too fast the car would automatically stiffen up the steering and suspension. Does anybody have any additional info or experience on this new mode?
You do not need Adaptive dampers to get all this modes, the only extra mode you will get is adaptive.
I'm pretty sure you are saying the same thing that I said... To get all 6 driving modes that I listed, you do need the adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 01:38 PM   #57
dejan123
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320D

Hey everyone, I'm planning to get a new g20 but I'm having trouble picking up suspension type and here's why.
So, there are 3 types of suspensions, base, m sport and adaptive suspension, right?
I test drove an M sport suspension and it was extremely stiff. It's out of question. Adaptive suspension will be a no brainer upgrade, but the problem is that I wanted to go with 318i model but the adaptive suspension is not available for that model. It's available on all other motors except 318i. So in order to get the Adaptive I would have to go with the 320i which will be a price difference of at least 5000 euros which is quite high considering that I would be fine with 318i with 156hp. So now I'm thinking of getting a Sport line instead of M sport package.
However, here comes my first question, can I have a base suspension (delete the M sport suspension) on an M sport package?
The second question is, if anyone have tried both the base and the adaptive suspensions, which one is more comfortable, the base suspension or the adaptive.
I one review, Tomas from Autogefühl said that the adaptive suspension is slightly better (more forgiving) that the base suspension. That tells a lot, as he had tried both of them. But I would like to hear few more opinions from you guys.
Appreciate 0