Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions New Ad for M340i xDrive - "Love Rivals"

03-15-2019, 01:15 AM   #67
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
I have both sets of keys and the app password.

Not possible lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:21 AM   #68
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
I know. I wish I had a 340
Relax. The only entity that decides whether a car is an M car or not is BMW. Any car with prefatory 'M' in its name is an M car. If you don't like it, go and complain to BMW

Some M performance cars are much more expensive than M cars (m850i is more expensive than M3, M4 and the same price as M5 competition), so it is not a matter of affordability, it is what suits your need. M3 and M4 are much commoner than m240i

You would sure be hurt if you bought your 'full M car' because of exclusivity (badge whoring) rather than performance.
A base 7 series is also more expensive than an M2, your point? Price has nothing to do with this...

Mxxx= mid performance tier
Mx = top performance tier

Which is why you will never see an M340i CS or M340i GTS. End of story.
My points:

For some M owners to stop assuming that people are buying M performance cars because they cannot afford M cars

For people to stop assuming M performance cars are 'wannabes' rather than catering for a specific set of buyers

Agree with second paragraph. Problem is, uneducated buyers will assume an M340,M240, etc are less sporty versions of their M counterparts (M2,M3...) as opposed to a sportier version of their base models (320,330,230, etc).

You buy what you prefer. But keep in mind that there is a base M car and it isn't the M-sport, it's the actual M car since there are higher trims of it (I.e. Comp,CS,GTS, etc)
You are demonstrating the point I was making. Who gives you the authority to judge that m performance versions are closer to the base versions rather than the full M.

For example every review and my own experience say m240i is 90% OG M2. In fact some reviewers prefer it to OG M2

M550i is much closer to M5 compare to being close to 530i

So a whole lot of people would disagree with you. The position of m Performance cars has been made clear by BMW.
      03-15-2019, 04:45 AM   #69
BlackArrow
Rep
Drives: 2013 F32

So he was able to take it out of the garage then lost the key?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 05:08 AM   #70
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Yea it's to get people to pay the most money for a non-M car. M Performance cars basically replaced the highest trim level for each model. Tack on some M badges, cerium grey trim, and pop and crackle exhausts and people will pay the premium. And it also lures them to getting real M cars next time. They're not 90% M cars. If you've ever driven one you would immediately tell the difference.

M cars are great and all. But they have all always been varying grades on the same scale. the M3 is going to be what maybe 8-9k more than a m340i. I'd guess 95% of m340i buyers could make it work if they had to get an m3.

I'm not saying M cars are bad, or M340i cars are bad. Or 330i is bad. Its just different versions of the same thing, so don't act like it makes you somehow better if you bought an actual m3. Unless you really care how much money one has to spend on transportation and whatever status you feel that gives

I mean an m3 costs what probably what a base x5 50i costs. So if you are on that train of thought, shouldn't anyone with a $70k car, like a x5 50i occupy the same status. Because lets get real here. Most people who get an M3 aren't going to be some amazing driver / track magician. I might get an M3 this time around. I can afford it. THat doesn't make me any better a driver than I am now, and ultimately for a lot of M drivers its a how much money can you spend on transportation pissing contest. So unless you really care about that or find it important, does it really matter if someone is an m340i o m3 owner.
Appreciate 1
JamieA92.50
      03-15-2019, 06:56 AM   #71
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
M cars are great and all. But they have all always been varying grades on the same scale. the M3 is going to be what maybe 8-9k more than a m340i. I'd guess 95% of m340i buyers could make it work if they had to get an m3.

I'm not saying M cars are bad, or M340i cars are bad. Or 330i is bad. Its just different versions of the same thing, so don't act like it makes you somehow better if you bought an actual m3. Unless you really care how much money one has to spend on transportation and whatever status you feel that gives

I mean an m3 costs what probably what a base x5 50i costs. So if you are on that train of thought, shouldn't anyone with a $70k car, like a x5 50i occupy the same status. Because lets get real here. Most people who get an M3 aren't going to be some amazing driver / track magician. I might get an M3 this time around. I can afford it. THat doesn't make me any better a driver than I am now, and ultimately for a lot of M drivers its a how much money can you spend on transportation pissing contest. So unless you really care about that or find it important, does it really matter if someone is an m340i o m3 owner.

To be honest, for me the status is that it’s an M car.

It has a heritage and an iconic status, nothing to do with cost (for me).
I don’t care if it’s an F82 or E92, it’s like being in the “club”.
I still get thumbs up from random people on the street, and you can guess what happens when I pick my daughter up from high school!

As nice of a car as the M340i may be, I doubt I’ll get the same reactions.
There’s a high percentage chance I’ll change my mind at the dealer and jump back into an M.

I showed my daughter a pic of the M340i and she was like “eh!” Needless to say she has good taste in cars, taught her well!!
Appreciate 2
TrueToBMW160.00
M370z173.50
      03-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #72
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:

To be honest, for me the status is that it’s an M car.

I don’t care if it’s an F82 or E92, it’s like being in the “club”.
I still get thumbs up from random people on the street, and you can guess what happens when I pick my daughter up from high school!

As nice of a car as the M340i may be, I doubt I’ll get the same reactions.
There’s a high percentage chance I’ll change my mind at the dealer and jump back into an M.

I showed my daughter a pic of the M340i and she was like “eh!” Needless to say she has good taste in cars, taught her well!!
So you are buying cars in order to be externally validated? This is a serious sign of insecurity. Simply speaking it is a form of badge whoring.

Please instil a better value in your daughter.
      03-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #73
M370z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:

To be honest, for me the status is that it's an M car.

I don't care if it's an F82 or E92, it's like being in the "club".

As nice of a car as the M340i may be, I doubt I'll get the same reactions.
There's a high percentage chance I'll change my mind at the dealer and jump back into an M.

I showed my daughter a pic of the M340i and she was like "eh!" Needless to say she has good taste in cars, taught her well!!
So you are buying cars in order to be externally validated? This is a serious sign of insecurity. Simply speaking it is a form of badge whoring.

Dude, enough... Just enjoy your 340 when you get it, I'm sure it will be an awesome ride. No need to keep insisting that it is an M car, when everyone and their mother knows that it isn't.

Not a good look when you are the only one in the thread making these false claims.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #74
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I know. I wish I had a 340
Relax. The only entity that decides whether a car is an M car or not is BMW. Any car with prefatory 'M' in its name is an M car. If you don't like it, go and complain to BMW

Some M performance cars are much more expensive than M cars (m850i is more expensive than M3, M4 and the same price as M5 competition), so it is not a matter of affordability, it is what suits your need. M3 and M4 are much commoner than m240i

You would sure be hurt if you bought your 'full M car' because of exclusivity (badge whoring) rather than performance.
A base 7 series is also more expensive than an M2, your point? Price has nothing to do with this...

Mxxx= mid performance tier
Mx = top performance tier

Which is why you will never see an M340i CS or M340i GTS. End of story.
My points:

For some M owners to stop assuming that people are buying M performance cars because they cannot afford M cars

For people to stop assuming M performance cars are 'wannabes' rather than catering for a specific set of buyers

Agree with second paragraph. Problem is, uneducated buyers will assume an M340,M240, etc are less sporty versions of their M counterparts (M2,M3...) as opposed to a sportier version of their base models (320,330,230, etc).

You buy what you prefer. But keep in mind that there is a base M car and it isn't the M-sport, it's the actual M car since there are higher trims of it (I.e. Comp,CS,GTS, etc)
You are demonstrating the point I was making. Who gives you the authority to judge that m performance versions are closer to the base versions rather than the full M.

For example every review and my own experience say m240i is 90% OG M2. In fact some reviewers prefer it to OG M2

M550i is much closer to M5 compare to being close to 530i

So a whole lot of people would disagree with you. The position of m Performance cars has been made clear by BMW.
You're delusional.

BMW stayed themselves the F30 and F80 only share 20% components. If those are similar then I don't know what's different.

You want to use the actual manufacturer as an example? Ok, show me where the M235,M240,M850,M340 etc are under M models:

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/m-models.html
      03-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #75
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Judging by this thread it seems that BMW has done it right by placing M in front of regular productions 240,340,550, some fake SUVS, etc.
Clearly it's a selling point for some, so it worked.

I personally know I don't have an M3 even though I have M Sport package, MPPSK, M suspension, M this and that including M door scuff plates and M foot rest and M steering wheel and M 6mt shift knob and a damn M logo on all 4 wheels. If my car came with M in front of 340i, I would be removing it ASAP. I can't help but think the driver next to me in a real M3 would get a good chuckle seeing M340i on my trunk. I can afford an M3 but chose not to get it because it was more expensive and over the top for what I need in a daily driver, but I sure as hell am not gonna pretend that my car is "almost M3" because BMW decided to glue an M in front of 340i
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #76
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Yea it's to get people to pay the most money for a non-M car. M Performance cars basically replaced the highest trim level for each model. Tack on some M badges, cerium grey trim, and pop and crackle exhausts and people will pay the premium. And it also lures them to getting real M cars next time. They're not 90% M cars. If you've ever driven one you would immediately tell the difference.
M performance cars aren't just exhaust pop and gray trim.
More powerful engines, LSD, Adaptive M Suspension and more are part of M Performance models... I've owned 2 M cars, btw.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 2
JamieA92.50
      03-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #77
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Judging by this thread it seems that BMW has done it right by placing M in front of regular productions 240,340,550, some fake SUVS, etc.
Clearly it's a selling point for some, so it worked.

I personally know I don't have an M3 even though I have M Sport package, MPPSK, M suspension, M this and that including M door scuff plates and M foot rest and M steering wheel and M 6mt shift knob and a damn M logo on all 4 wheels. If my car came with M in front of 340i, I would be removing it ASAP. I can't help but think the driver next to me in a real M3 would get a good chuckle seeing M340i on my trunk. I can afford an M3 but chose not to get it because it was more expensive and over the top for what I need in a daily driver, but I sure as hell am not gonna pretend that my car is "almost M3" because BMW decided to glue an M in front of 340i
The difference between a base M340 and M3 is something around 15-20k. Loaded it's probably around there also.

The point isn't to make fun or belittle consumers that can't afford an actual M model. When we say cost, we mean consumers that want a sporty BMW, but don't WANT to pay for a full on M model. So their budget ceiling is an M340 for example. Doesn't mean they can't afford it necessarily, it just means they don't want to spend that much on a vehicle.

That's BMWs target market with these M-performance models.

Others also prefer sporty base models as DDs because they're more comfortable. So it depends on the consumer.
      03-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #78
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The difference between a base M340 and M3 is something around 15-20k. Loaded it's probably around there also.

The point isn't to make fun or belittle consumers that can't afford an actual M model. When we say cost, we mean consumers that want a sporty BMW, but don't WANT to pay for a full on M model. So their budget ceiling is an M340 for example. Doesn't mean they can't afford it necessarily, it just means they don't want to spend that much on a vehicle.

That's BMWs target market with these M-performance models.

Others also prefer sporty base models as DDs because they're more comfortable. So it depends on the consumer.
I totally agree with you and not against a 340, I think it's the sweet spot between an underwhelming 4 banger and a balls to the wall M3.
I just don't want an M in front of my 340i on the trunk lid. But clearly it worked for BMW since a lot of people see the M badge in front of their regular production car (240, 340, etc) as a selling point.
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #79
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
What do you drive maybe I'll give that a try
It's on my info. F80
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #80
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Oh that doesn't help that's what I have
Then I guess you're helpless I don't know what else to tell you.
Appreciate 1
Aaaaaaaaa7559.00
      03-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #81
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:

*sigh*. You totally missed my point, or maybe I wasn’t clear??

Let me be clear!

I don’t give a flying F about a badge! Debadge the car for all I care!
It’s about the smile on my face when I’m in the seat!
I test drove a 335i which was heaps better than my Q50.
I purchased the M4 without a test drive, which considering how I got the Q50 was a gamble! I IMMEDIATELY fell in love! And there was NOWAY
a 335i would compensate!

As for my daughter, she’s not after labels.. couldn’t tell you whether it’s a 340 or M5! But she knows the difference between mid-tier and top!
Appreciate 1
KoenG1417.50
      03-15-2019, 05:18 PM   #82
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

I think you're the one with some strange insecurity about your M240i. The M340i is mostly just a regular M Sport 3 series. It's got special grilles and unique wheels, but the suspension and sheet metal are mostly just the same as any other G20. Obviously the engine is more powerful, and it comes standard with a Sensatec dashboard, but otherwise there aren't many significant differences between it and if they had made a G20 340i.

The M3 will have leather everywhere, significantly more power, different suspension geometry, unique fenders, rockers, bumpers, quarter panels, possibly a CF roof, additional chassis bracing, completely different suspension components, probably a different steering rack, and different wheel/tire sizes. Shall I go on? The M3 probably only shares the doors and trunk with the regular 3 series. The M340i will share every piece of sheet metal with the 320i base car.

There is zero question the M340i is MUCH closer to a 330i M Sport with a bigger engine than the M3. Maybe the difference isn't so big with the M240i and original M2. But that's a whole other ball of wax. For the 3 series, the M3 is WAY different from the M340i.

And why are you so hung up about what people think about what people can afford or what they prefer? There will always be people that judge people they will never know or talk to. Thing is, those people don't matter to you. Why get yourself worked up about them?

EDIT I'm confused why you chose to compare the M5 to a 530i. If BMW were still making a V8 5 series, it'd be pretty close to what the M550i is. They're basically just throwing all M Sport and some M Perf options on it and marketing it as a "special" car. The suspension, steering, and chassis are basically the same as a 540i M Sport or what a regular 550i would have been like if it existed. The M5 has upgraded steering, suspension, chassis strengthening, upgraded oil sump (for tracking), more heat exchangers, and unique fascias, hood, fenders, quarter panels, and roof. The extent of the M550i changes are just some special bits of plastic on the bumpers and maybe a unique grille? The interior of the M550i is mostly similar to the 540i M Sport while the M5 gets nicer M seats.

Last edited by upsidedownfunnel; 03-15-2019 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #83
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I think you're the one with some strange insecurity about your M240i. The M340i is mostly just a regular M Sport 3 series. It's got special grilles and unique wheels, but the suspension and sheet metal are mostly just the same as any other G20. Obviously the engine is more powerful, and it comes standard with a Sensatec dashboard, but otherwise there aren't many significant differences between it and if they had made a G20 340i.

The M3 will have leather everywhere, significantly more power, different suspension geometry, unique fenders, rockers, bumpers, quarter panels, possibly a CF roof, additional chassis bracing, completely different suspension components, probably a different steering rack, and different wheel/tire sizes. Shall I go on? The M3 probably only shares the doors and trunk with the regular 3 series. The M340i will share every piece of sheet metal with the 320i base car.

There is zero question the M340i is MUCH closer to a 330i M Sport with a bigger engine than the M3. Maybe the difference isn't so big with the M240i and original M2. But that's a whole other ball of wax. For the 3 series, the M3 is WAY different from the M340i.

And why are you so hung up about what people think about what people can afford or what they prefer? There will always be people that judge people they will never know or talk to. Thing is, those people don't matter to you. Why get yourself worked up about them?

EDIT I'm confused why you chose to compare the M5 to a 530i. If BMW were still making a V8 5 series, it'd be pretty close to what the M550i is. They're basically just throwing all M Sport and some M Perf options on it and marketing it as a "special" car. The suspension, steering, and chassis are basically the same as a 540i M Sport or what a regular 550i would have been like if it existed. The M5 has upgraded steering, suspension, chassis strengthening, upgraded oil sump (for tracking), more heat exchangers, and unique fascias, hood, fenders, quarter panels, and roof. The extent of the M550i changes are just some special bits of plastic on the bumpers and maybe a unique grille? The interior of the M550i is mostly similar to the 540i M Sport while the M5 gets nicer M seats.
Precisely!
Kool aid is strong with some. 550i is 550i not matter how many M's you glue in front of it
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #84
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post

M340i is probably much closer to a M3 than to the 330i. It has the same exact engine block.
However, I'm saying probably, because M3 isn't even seen yet, M340i has just been reviewed in prototype form. I guess you're an insider or something and you saw G80?
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #85
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Precisely!
Kool aid is strong with some. 550i is 550i not matter how many M's you glue in front of it
No, actually it's M550i. BMW calls it that way, so that's it. They could call it 'M5 Comfort Edition' or 'M5 GT'. It's their brand.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #86
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
No, actually it's M550i. BMW calls it that way, so that's it. They could call it 'M5 Comfort Edition' or 'M5 GT'. It's their brand.
Hell call it oranges! The SOB still does 0 to 60 in 3.9 secs

Last edited by BigSky702; 03-15-2019 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #87
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
They're just following Mercedes. They've been slapping AMG logos on everything but the bicycle for a while now.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #88
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
They're just following Mercedes. They've been slapping AMG logos on everything but the bicycle for a while now.
Audi is slightly as bad.. with their “sport line” trim on the A cars!
Appreciate 0