Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Mirrors don't auto-fold anymore

01-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Mirrors don't auto-fold anymore

I have this strange issue where when I lock my car, the mirrors don't fold anymore.

If I go to settings, the fold option is checked. If I un-check it and check it again, next time I lock the car, the mirrors DO fold.
However subsequently it fails again.

Its as if the car is not remembering the setting.

I tried rebooting the iDrive system, when it came back up, the fold mirrors option was unchecked (it was checked before the reboot). But even if I checked it, the mirrors folded once successfully but then stopped on subsequent locks.

I think the issue started happening since I used the Valet mode feature once.

Anyone experienced this issue before?

I might try a factory reset but its a bit of a hassle.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

sounds like a warranty trip to the dealer. If that is a hassle for you, you can try folding the mirrors with the inside door button and see if that works until you can get into the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
rezok
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0L 2018

Have you tried locking using the fob but HOLDING the lock button for a second or two. It should fold your mirrors if you’ve enabled it.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
EddieA1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 340i, m240i, M2C, m340i

I had the same issue. Took it to service and they found that the driver-side front switch cluster was defective, so they are repairing. The part's on backorder. I bet this is a broader concern, and not unique to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 02:20 AM   #5
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

My driver side wing mirror makes a clicking noise as it folds and unfolds, I am waiting until I get a chance to book it in for a software update also, I think there are quite a few people who have had problems with one mirror or another, I read elsewhere on here that there was a corroded part within the mirror, I guess they've remade the part out of stainless steel or aluminium so it doesn't corrode and cause the mirror to fail folding or folded, a bit like the qashqai battery fault they are waiting for it to fail before replacing under warranty rather than issue a recall
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 05:28 PM   #6
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I finally fixed it by doing a factory reset. I had a feeling it was purely a software glitch. I think it happened after I activated and de-activated the Valet mode, the car settings must have messed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
My driver side wing mirror makes a clicking noise as it folds and unfolds, I am waiting until I get a chance to book it in for a software update also, I think there are quite a few people who have had problems with one mirror or another, I read elsewhere on here that there was a corroded part within the mirror, I guess they've remade the part out of stainless steel or aluminium so it doesn't corrode and cause the mirror to fail folding or folded, a bit like the qashqai battery fault they are waiting for it to fail before replacing under warranty rather than issue a recall
My driver side mirror does the same click. It sounds like there is some resistance on the mirror opening. Will probably mention it next time the car goes in, but won't book it in unless it fails.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
dicarsio
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 330e (G20)

My 330E G20 with 4200km has the same issue, passenger side mirror just gave up and doesn’t open anymore. I’m going to the dealer tomorrow and will post back what I hear from them.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:28 PM   #8
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicarsio View Post
My 330E G20 with 4200km has the same issue, passenger side mirror just gave up and doesn’t open anymore. I’m going to the dealer tomorrow and will post back what I hear from them.
Any news? My passenger mirror stopped unfolding today..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #9
dicarsio
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
Quote:
My 330E G20 with 4200km has the same issue, passenger side mirror just gave up and doesn't open anymore. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow and will post back what I hear from them.

I have an appointment on the 21st to have this fixed. They have to open to diagnose. But my problem seems different than some of the users here, my door panel is working fine but the mirror won't open.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #10
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 35i G20 m340

Very common failure is a module in the mirror.
In my case it was driver mirror, killed master window switch and trunk release on door panel, disconnected mirror and all worked (except mirror)
Drove that way a month while I waited for parts happened at approx 1200km. Seen several cases here and 5 or so local so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #11
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

They’re going to replace my mirror..trying to see if they can give me a loaner because they need to order the part from Germany. Also I have PPF in the mirror cap so I’ll need to replace that..unfortunate!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #12
dicarsio
Portugal
Rep

As an update, I'm still waiting on my parts to arrive (last visit was on the 21st Jan). The dealer says the parts haven't been delivered to Germany yet and don't know when they'll be available.

Although the dealer was able to temporary fix the issue, it went back yesterday with the door panel failing as well as both mirrors. When the driving started the left mirror and door panel started working again.

Hope the guys get me a part soon, I almost ruined a wheel because of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #13
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

Just wanted to throw my hat into the ring here...

Driver's side mirror would not fold / unfold consistently after a proper dossing of water - heavy rain at motorway speeds and a wash with a hosepipe (not jet wash).

The car was in at the stealer's today and they are ordering a new 'control unit' under warranty - no questions asked. Car is booked in for Monday 16th for the work.

Here's the video I took as evidence after a wash with a hosepipe - it was working before I soaked it...

03-06-2020, 04:09 AM   #14
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Guys, there is already a thread on the subject of failing mirrors: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1663025
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 05:56 AM   #15
Kaisah
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F30 LCI

Garage List
2017 340i  [0.00]
Electric wing mirrors not working

So I have a G20 loan car while mines in for repair. I can't get the wing mirrors to move at all. Switch does nothing.

Am I missing something or is it just broken?

Car has 500 miles on it.. typical BMW :
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 06:05 AM   #16
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

The ones on my car are not wing mirrors. They did fold when I locked the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 03:00 AM   #17
Kaisah
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F30 LCI

Garage List
2017 340i  [0.00]
Ok so it wasn’t just the wing mirrors it was the windows too - the whole switch seemed dead.

I just thought I’d leave it until I returned the car and tell them about it.

however last night the windows started to work, randomly.. as did the passenger side mirror. No dice with the drivers mirror either..

I can now fold in the passenger mirror but not the drivers.. that seems dead still.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 03:56 AM   #18
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisah View Post
Ok so it wasn’t just the wing mirrors it was the windows too - the whole switch seemed dead.

I just thought I’d leave it until I returned the car and tell them about it.

however last night the windows started to work, randomly.. as did the passenger side mirror. No dice with the drivers mirror either..

I can now fold in the passenger mirror but not the drivers.. that seems dead still.
This type of fault has been mentioned in other posts... it is something that the dealer needs to replace the switches/control unit.

See this thread
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hlight=folding

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 10:23 AM   #19
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 35i G20 m340

Common failure. My driver side mirror failed and in the process killed my master window switch. And trunk button. I had the mirror unplugged while waiting for a new one from Germany. Seen lots of cases. They slammed way too much tech into the mirrors. Way more modules than ever before for some unknown reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 05:43 PM   #20
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

Quick update on this...

Haven't suffered any failures since the window/wing mirror module was replaced a few weeks ago, but of course the weather has been nice and I've done about 10 miles since then :-(

The car has had a wash though, with hosepipe, which was enough to cause the issue last time round.

More to follow I'm sure...
      04-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #21
Dilbert42
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
I have this strange issue where when I lock my car, the mirrors don't fold anymore.

If I go to settings, the fold option is checked. If I un-check it and check it again, next time I lock the car, the mirrors DO fold.
However subsequently it fails again.

Its as if the car is not remembering the setting.

I tried rebooting the iDrive system, when it came back up, the fold mirrors option was unchecked (it was checked before the reboot). But even if I checked it, the mirrors folded once successfully but then stopped on subsequent locks.

I think the issue started happening since I used the Valet mode feature once.

Anyone experienced this issue before?

I might try a factory reset but its a bit of a hassle.
Hi there, I have the same issue and the same scenario. I can reset the fold when lock option and it works once. It did work fine but then I tried the valet parking once. The factory set fixed your problem so you know if there is another option?

Cheers

Martin
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #22
Dilbert42
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert42 View Post
Hi there, I have the same issue and the same scenario. I can reset the fold when lock option and it works once. It did work fine but then I tried the valet parking once. The factory set fixed your problem so you know if there is another option?

Cheers

Martin
I tried a few things. In the comfort access settings I unchecked the unlock when approaching and lock when leaving. That unchecked the fold mirrors when locked.

I then rechecked the lock/unlock when approaching/leaving and rechecked the fold mirrors when locked. It has now sorted itself out and works again! And I didn’t need to factory reset! Yay! 😁
Appreciate 0