Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Got my first BMW this month, an M340i, and have some questions about it

02-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #1
cigaro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Got my first BMW this month, an M340i, and have some questions about it

Hi everyone. Signed lease on my first BMW this month, a 2020 BMW m340i and I am so excited to finally be a BMW owner. I do have some questions though that I hoped I could get some opinions on.

What does everyone recommend for cleaning the sensatec seats, as well as the steering wheel? I want to really maintain the steering wheel on this car, I drive a good amount and my previous car the Audi A4, my steering wheel material kind of wore down and became shiny. Would like to avoid that with this one by cleaning and maintaining it more but not sure if theres a product best for the interior.

The car came with run flats on the 792M that I got. I want to change the tires around 3000 miles or so, and I want to go non run flat. It seems the consensus is that Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are the best ones to go with? I live in southern california so its basically always summer here.

Does launch control only work after a certain number of miles is put on the car?

Holy hell this car produces a lot of brake dust, anything people recommend to help at least make it not as crazy as normal ?

My final question is this: What is the next best thing to ceramic coating the car? Obviously it is a lease, and I am definitely interested in doing it but it is quite pricey. What would be the next best thing that would cost less? Just standard details and waxes?

Also in regards to ceramic coating... I have a local shop who I can get a ceramic pro silver package, including full paint correction, windows, trim, wheels, and also a full Rayno Phantom S9 tint job all for 1590 plus tax.

Im wondering everyones opinions on if it is worth it on a lease, especially considering the price seems very reasonable for all of that work from what I have seen online.

Thanks in advance and of course i need to attach a picture of the car if I am going to be asking so many questions. Cheers.

Appreciate 2
themnmd1687.00
A6bullet336.00
      02-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Congratulations on your M340i. She looks lovely!

Regarding ceramic coating. If you can maintain it and afford it, it’s definitely worth it. If you wash your car yourself, carefully, or if you have access to a touch less wash, it’ll work out. But if you plan on using a regular car wash or have someone else wash your car, you’ll end up with swirls, though not as much as without a coating.

Regarding tints. Many people have had issues with the live cockpit dimming because of tints. Do your research before you decide to get tints.

Regarding brake dust. If you ceramic coating the rims, it’ll help reduce the amount of brake dust sticking to the rims. Regular washing using a wheel cleaner will help.

Regarding the tyres. Since your car is a lease, you can take the run flats off and store it for when you plan on returning the car. Since bmw wants you to return the car with run flats if it came with run flats. And not just any RFTs. BMW approved ones.

Regarding leather care. I have beige vernasca leather and have problems with dye transfer. I have to clean my seats every two weeks and there’s a lot of dye I wipe off using lexol. My X3 has sensatec and there isn’t as much dye transfer (or maybe there is. I don’t take much care of that car). But yes. No more light coloured interior for me. The other cars have black seats and my A4 had brown seats and I didn’t have to worry about dye transfer being visible. Lexol works well for me, along with a magic eraser. The steering will also need to be cleaned once in 3-4 months to get rid of all the dirt and oils on it. Since it’s a gradual build up, most people don’t notice it until it becomes shiny. But cleaning with a leather cleaner and conditioning it will help. Also, ceramic coating your seats will help make cleaning easier and protects it from dye transfer. Looks like you have a black interior. In which case you won’t have to worry about visible dye transfer and cleaning with a good leather cleaner and conditioning it will help maintain it.

I’m not sure about launch control. But I’d wait till you’ve put in around 1200 miles before trying LC. I’d take it easy till then.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Congrats I love mine. I use ceramic coating on the wheels and CarPro iron X to clean them. To wash car I use pressure wash with foam cannon and 2 bucket method. I also have the whole outside and interior ceramic coated too. You will love driving it once broken in, it fast!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
cigaro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Congratulations on your M340i. She looks lovely!

Regarding ceramic coating. If you can maintain it and afford it, it’s definitely worth it. If you wash your car yourself, carefully, or if you have access to a touch less wash, it’ll work out. But if you plan on using a regular car wash or have someone else wash your car, you’ll end up with swirls, though not as much as without a coating.

Regarding tints. Many people have had issues with the live cockpit dimming because of tints. Do your research before you decide to get tints.

Regarding brake dust. If you ceramic coating the rims, it’ll help reduce the amount of brake dust sticking to the rims. Regular washing using a wheel cleaner will help.

Regarding the tyres. Since your car is a lease, you can take the run flats off and store it for when you plan on returning the car. Since bmw wants you to return the car with run flats if it came with run flats. And not just any RFTs. BMW approved ones.

Regarding leather care. I have beige vernasca leather and have problems with dye transfer. I have to clean my seats every two weeks and there’s a lot of dye I wipe off using lexol. My X3 has sensatec and there isn’t as much dye transfer (or maybe there is. I don’t take much care of that car). But yes. No more light coloured interior for me. The other cars have black seats and my A4 had brown seats and I didn’t have to worry about dye transfer being visible. Lexol works well for me, along with a magic eraser. The steering will also need to be cleaned once in 3-4 months to get rid of all the dirt and oils on it. Since it’s a gradual build up, most people don’t notice it until it becomes shiny. But cleaning with a leather cleaner and conditioning it will help. Also, ceramic coating your seats will help make cleaning easier and protects it from dye transfer. Looks like you have a black interior. In which case you won’t have to worry about visible dye transfer and cleaning with a good leather cleaner and conditioning it will help maintain it.

I’m not sure about launch control. But I’d wait till you’ve put in around 1200 miles before trying LC. I’d take it easy till then.
Thanks for taking the time replying to all points!

I do plan to take the RFT off and keep them in storage until end of lease. So I guess I was just asking what the recommended tires are to get the most out of this car.... from what I read it seems Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are highly recommended but wanted to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:20 PM   #5
cigaro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Congrats I love mine. I use ceramic coating on the wheels and CarPro iron X to clean them. To wash car I use pressure wash with foam cannon and 2 bucket method. I also have the whole outside and interior ceramic coated too. You will love driving it once broken in, it fast!
Do you use any specific brushes for the wheels along with the carpro iron X? or do you just spray that on and wipe it down
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigaro View Post

I do plan to take the RFT off and keep them in storage until end of lease. So I guess I was just asking what the recommended tires are to get the most out of this car.... from what I read it seems Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are highly recommended but wanted to make sure.
Yup. Michelin Pilot sport 4S is one of the best summer performance tyres out there. You can’t go wrong with them.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 01:20 AM   #7
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Launch control only requires car to be warm and x miles since it was started. Check the manual but it works any mileage.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      02-16-2020, 04:48 AM   #8
mrkrad
Old Geezer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i PB MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:

Yup. Michelin Pilot sport 4S is one of the best summer performance tyres out there. You can’t go wrong with them.
Pilot super sport! Wears out every 10k
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:05 AM   #9
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Do you use any specific brushes for the wheels along with the carpro iron X? or do you just spray that on and wipe it down
Iron X gets most of it then wheel brush with your car soap. There are wheel specific soaps out there too. Also many how to videos on YouTube on how to detail your car and many product reviews. Choose the one that fits your situation, IE: space budget time skill level etc. Happy detailing!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #10
Bmoney2K4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i

Nice car, can you tell me the lease terms of the car you got? I live in Southern California and I haven't noticed any good lease deals going around.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #11
cigaro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoney2K4 View Post
Nice car, can you tell me the lease terms of the car you got? I live in Southern California and I haven't noticed any good lease deals going around.
I messaged you.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #12
jajus198
Rep
Drives: 330i X

What size are your tires? Look like 19s? I'm thinking of getting this same car but the 330i same colors and similar options to the M340i. How do you find the ride harshness? Any issues or some bumps you feel in the road? Did you try adaptive mode vs comfort??
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #13
cigaro
Private First Class
Rep

19 inches.

I find the ride to be completely tolerable even on sport plus mode.

Any reason you’re not opting for an m340i? Isn’t the fully loaded 330 not far off In price ?

I drive a lot by the way. Like 1500 miles a month. So I’m in the car a lot and it’s still a good ride to me. All over Southern California
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #14
jajus198
Rep
Drives: 330i X

Far off on price brother. Used 2020 M340i is like 52-56k. Meanwhile I'm getting a steal for the 2019 330i used for 42,5k fully kitted.

Can you elaborate on what other vehicles you've driven that's comparable to the ride experience? I'm coming from a sonata with 17s and my ride is just ok.

Sorry to hijack your thread sir. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited by jajus198; 02-19-2020 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 03:37 AM   #15
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Congrats!

Not a bad first BMW!

Cali prices seem to be higher than usual always. For all that work I dont think its too bad. Careful with the tints as mentioned above.
Ceramic coating makes washing the car EXTREMELY EASY. So easy, the car also stays clean longer and overall looks better. I have it on my car and it is one of my best money spent items.

Dont abuse the car early on, even if its a lease. Get a few thousand miles in the car before you start doing launches and stuff like that.

I have sensatec, super easy to treat and clean. I use regular leather products and a conditioner. Keeps them looking rich and they smell great. Very comfortable seats.
Same goes for the steering Wheel, every couple of months at least give it a good clean and conditioner.

I have winter wheels on right now but I am going to ceramic coat the summer set, as they are all black dust will show right away.

I use a lot of the AMMO products, if you wash the car yourself itll help to have good products. They are worth the money and last a long time.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #16
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Congrats! What color is it?

Many of the other points have been answered but be careful with paint correction on a new car. On my car I have some panels which came with very fine factory-installed scratches and some that are perfect. If they don't take their time and use good products you could end up with micro scratches from polish abrasives where there were none before. I'm not saying don't do it, just make sure they have excellent lighting and will work the product all the way.

I also have the 792M wheels, I think they're the best looking wheels for this car. Personally, I don't find the Bridgestone runflats objectionable at all. They are infinitely better than the Conti's that came on my old 340i (which I did swap out very quickly). I probably won't swap these.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #17
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

Cigaro,

Your kidney grill and surrounding trim look black. Is that correct? If yes, do you know if that was standard or an option?

I have an M340i on order and the images I've seen on the BMW USA web site show a sparkly two tone like kidney grill and chrome / metallic color surround. I did not find a BMW option for all black.

Thanks
Bruce