Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Does the G20 have an internet browser?

02-17-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
DES_MX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Does the G20 have an internet browser?

Just ordered my G20 330e, moving from Tesla Model 3 LR RWD. Wanted to ask a question (perhaps it was already answered).

Does the G20 (in the iDrive 7 high end multimedia) have the internet browser built in? I.e. the means to open web pages / browse the internet right through the idrive system?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

No it doesn't
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
DES_MX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. That's a pity I guess, since it was there on the F series (idrive 6, 2018 model). Wonder why they removed the browser
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 07:59 PM   #4
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_MX View Post
Thanks. That's a pity I guess, since it was there on the F series (idrive 6, 2018 model). Wonder why they removed the browser
Serious question... why would you ever use an in-car internet browser which is guaranteed to be inferior to the many browser choices you have on your phone?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 08:06 PM   #5
ELiTeNeSs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
Serious question... why would you ever use an in-car internet browser which is guaranteed to be inferior to the many browser choices you have on your phone?
U can watch alot of streams online through browser. That would be my excuse. Idk about OP.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:59 AM   #6
DES_MX
Enlisted Member
Rep

The usecases are several:
1) For front seat passenger to browse for something (informative) that the driver should also see, without staring at passenger's phone/tablet to prevent distraction (i.e. choosing together where to eat / check opening hours / check flight booking / etc hundred of cases)
2) While parked (and charging / fueling) browse for news / shows / social network updates whatever), either by driver or passenger(s).

This still doesn't answer the question though as to why it was removed. Is there completely no header "internet" now under ConnectedDrive section in the menus?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:20 AM   #7
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
This still doesn't answer the question though as to why it was removed. Is there completely no header "internet" now under ConnectedDrive section in the menus?
As Burrcold says.... it isn’t there.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
The usecases are several:
1) For front seat passenger to browse for something (informative) that the driver should also see, without staring at passenger's phone/tablet to prevent distraction (i.e. choosing together where to eat / check opening hours / check flight booking / etc hundred of cases)
2) While parked (and charging / fueling) browse for news / shows / social network updates whatever), either by driver or passenger(s).

I had the internet browser option on my M2 and for the record, none of anything mention was available.

The browser lacked a "plug-in flash player" so you couldn't watch any videos and the browser became locked-out, even for the passenger, when the vehicle was moving (US-spec).

It was a watered-down version to your phone's browser and was really just a novel idea. I cancelled it within a day and got my $100 annual fee back.

I guess BMW didn't see it as a worthwhile option of keep around and I totally agree with them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:31 AM   #9
DES_MX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah that's the one I had on my F gen 420i (2018) model.
TBH it was useful, as it also had the touchscreen. Too bad it's gone then.
But on the bright side - what I could test out during the test drive of G20 is the Miracast functionality (at least on Android, Galaxy S10+) and it worked like a charm, casting entire display of my android device including full screen video, audio, and any applications including web browsing. Not exactly the same functionality, but still fits the purpose.
Appreciate 0