Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics NA live to Euro Maps

10-31-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
callen85
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 330XI

Garage List
  [0.00]
NA live to Euro Maps

Has anyone worked through converting from North American Live maps to Euro maps on the idrive7 yet? Dealer here in Germany is able to do it but I'm not looking forward to a 2 hour drive just to get there not to mention waiting around all day. I have very little experience coding but do possess an enet cable to link to the car if anyone can shed some light. Greatly appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by callen85 View Post
Has anyone worked through converting from North American Live maps to Euro maps on the idrive7 yet? Dealer here in Germany is able to do it but I'm not looking forward to a 2 hour drive just to get there not to mention waiting around all day. I have very little experience coding but do possess an enet cable to link to the car if anyone can shed some light. Greatly appreciate it!
I think all you need is the European map file on a USB... Shouldn't really be any different than people doing European Delivery on NA cars. You're just doing the opposite direction.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
callen85
Germany
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
Quote:
I think all you need is the European map file on a USB... Shouldn't really be any different than people doing European Delivery on NA cars. You're just doing the opposite direction.
Any idea where I could get it to give it a try?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
timmedic
Rep
Drives: G20 330i xDrive

Not sure where you bought it from but if you PCS'd here with it you are looking at 400-700 Euro depending on the dealership. I asked about the USB option when I bought my 2021 G20 but they no longer do that/it's not compatible with the G series. Not sure if there's one in Graf but I purchased mine through Bavarian Motor Cars. They were able to have the car delivered to me with European Maps installed. When I was working on having the car build they said they could code it with US Maps before I go back to the States but quoted me something like 600 Euros. Bavarian Motor Cars has locations throughout Germany but I think their main location is in Wurzberg. You could also call Euler BMW in Kaiserslautern and ask them as they are used to dealing with Americans and they'll take VAT Forms for most things. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 02:31 PM   #5
callen85
Germany
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmedic View Post
Not sure where you bought it from but if you PCS'd here with it you are looking at 400-700 Euro depending on the dealership. I asked about the USB option when I bought my 2021 G20 but they no longer do that/it's not compatible with the G series. Not sure where you are stationed but I purchased mine through Bavarian Motor Cars. They were able to have the car delivered to me with European Maps installed. When I was working on having the car build they said they could code it with US Maps before I go back to the States but quoted me something like 600 Euros. Bavarian Motor Cars has locations throughout Germany but I think their main location is in Wurzberg. You could also call Euler BMW in Kaiserslautern and ask them as they are used to dealing with Americans and they'll take VAT Forms for most things. Hope this helps.
I bought it here through Bavarian motor cars but would have to bring it to wurzburg to have them do it. Any chance your CarPlay works?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #6
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I bought it here through Bavarian motor cars but would have to bring it to wurzburg to have them do it. Any chance your CarPlay works?
When I bought my 330 from them they gave me the option of NA or Euro maps. The car was already on the lot... not a new build.

And yes, my CarPlay works.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
callen85
Germany
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
When I bought my 330 from them they gave me the option of NA or Euro maps. The car was already on the lot... not a new build.

You're one of the lucky ones then. Both mine and Timmedic's CarPlay doesn't work. Curious. Are you able to see the software version you're running? Also you're on ID7?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #8
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're one of the lucky ones then. Both mine and Timmedic's CarPlay doesn't work. Curious. Are you able to see the software version you're running? Also you're on ID7?
US-spec 330i
April 2019 build
ID7
03/2020.58

Purchased, sight unseen, in May 2020 and shipped up here from Würzburg. They updated the firmware then. I was able to get them to test someone's iPhone before purchase.

My BMW Connected functions to an extent... we'll see if I ever get the OTA.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
callen85
Germany
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

US-spec 330i
April 2019 build
ID7
03/2020.58

Purchased, sight unseen, in May 2020 and shipped up here from Würzburg. They updated the firmware then. I was able to get them to test someone's iPhone before purchase.

My BMW Connected functions to an extent... we'll see if I ever get the OTA.
Appreciate the feedback. Pretty sure our issue comes down to a software load that needs to be done. Hardest part will be convincing them to load software
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 05:09 AM   #10
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Appreciate the feedback. Pretty sure our issue comes down to a software load that needs to be done. Hardest part will be convincing them to load software
Yeah... good luck.

I haven't had to go a Dutch dealer yet. I'm hoping I get the OTA update at some point but I'm not too sure it's going to happen.

Some of the Connected Drive features (3D view, lock/window status, and similar) work fine, but who knows if a NA-spec car can get an OTA in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #11
timmedic
Rep

Wanted to share an update regarding my Android Auto/iDrive update. USDM 2021 G20 in Germany received an over the air update today. I posted an image in the G05 forum bc they'd helped me get to this point. Thought maybe it would encourage others that it is definitely possible to get working.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1#post26871509
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #12
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
I actually started this thread earlier today: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1772210

timmedic I never had a problem getting Connected Drive (US) to work... Although, as I said in that thread, the OTA update shows as unavailable.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 02:02 PM   #13
timmedic
Rep

Quote:
I actually started this thread earlier today: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1772210

timmedic I never had a problem getting Connected Drive (US) to work... Although, as I said in that thread, the OTA update shows as unavailable.
helmet91, I responded at the link you provided
Appreciate 0