Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Wax at Performance Center before Opti-Coat?

10-12-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
BenitoBlanco
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition X-Drive

Wax at Performance Center before Opti-Coat?

Hi everyone,

I'm having my M340i delivered at the Performance Center in SC. I plan to have Opti-Coat (either the base or Pro, not decided) applied by a local detailer in Virginia where I live shortly after the drive up from SC. I might have the tint done first, but that's about it, and I plan to get it done ASAP.

My question is this - should I decline the wax at the Performance Center knowing I plan to get the Opti-Coat done? The detailer said that if it was his car he'd likely just skip the wax since he would be removing it anyway and "they usually do more harm than good", but since you all are Bimmer people I thought you may have opinions regarding the quality of work done at the Performance Center.

I guess I was thinking that maybe the wax may be worth the protection for the 6 hour drive from SC to VA, especially considering it's complimentary at the Performance Center.

What would you do?
      10-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

The wax won't provide much protection, if any. If you're planning on getting it cermic coated, the detailer will have to do a paint correction before applying it, even if it rolled right off the factory floor.
I'd skip the wax since, like he said, wax and oils and any contaminant has to be completely removed before coating. Plus, if you tell them no wax, that is less swirls induced on the paint.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 3
      10-13-2020, 02:51 AM   #3
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Agree..... waxing before just adds more work to remove and potentially introduces issues.....

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

they do a great job at detailing cars at PCD. let them wax it, enjoy the great presentation and drive it home.
Appreciate 2