Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G80 M3 / G82 M4 Forum (2019+) G80 M3 Production Should Begin March 2020

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-20-2019, 09:07 PM   #1
ynguldyn
Colonel
2842
Rep
2,095
Posts

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

G80 M3 Production Should Begin March 2020

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I think I have a good idea of M3 introduction timeframe now (as updated in the future model info thread):

* We should see the production M3 in just a few months (January 2020, give or take) with the likely SOP in March. M4 will take longer.
Appreciate 11
      09-21-2019, 07:22 AM   #2
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5271
Rep
18,356
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I think I have a good idea of M3 introduction timeframe now:

* We should see the production M3 in just a few months (January 2020, give or take) with the likely SOP in March. M4 will take longer.

Wow, that’s going to cause some surprised faces, and probably some gloating too. Not only is that an entire year ahead of (in relative terms) the last generation model (and even further ahead of the E90), but it means the M3 will debut the face of the G2x 4 Series (or at least the grill and headlights, anyway).

Or, is it possible BMW tricked us with the M3 mules, and the M3 will use the G2x 3 Series grill/headlights instead? I know a number of folks were betting (or at least hoping for) on that. However, that seems even more unlikely than a 2020 SOP seemed at this point, though I suspect the early release date will lead more than a few to hold out hope.
Appreciate 5
JTO242250.00
SYT_Shadow3549.00
Fr3sh20.50
m3pilot17.00

      09-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
NUTScapes
Brigadier General
NUTScapes's Avatar
United_States
6307
Rep
4,603
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Wow, that's going to cause some surprised faces, and probably some gloating too. Not only is that an entire year ahead of (in relative terms) the last generation model (and even further ahead of the E90), but it means the M3 will debut the face of the G2x 4 Series (or at least the grill and headlights, anyway).

Or, is it possible BMW tricked us with the M3 mules, and the M3 will use the G2x 3 Series grill/headlights instead? I know a number of folks were betting (or at least hoping for) on that. However, that seems even more unlikely than a 2020 SOP seemed at this point, though I suspect the early release date will lead more than a few to hold out hope.
Trying to catch the 2018 F80 leasers coming off lease next year.
Appreciate 2
      09-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
ynguldyn
Colonel
2842
Rep
2,095
Posts

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Wow, that’s going to cause some surprised faces, and probably some gloating too. Not only is that an entire year ahead of (in relative terms) the last generation model (and even further ahead of the E90), but it means the M3 will debut the face of the G2x 4 Series (or at least the grill and headlights, anyway).

Or, is it possible BMW tricked us with the M3 mules, and the M3 will use the G2x 3 Series grill/headlights instead? I know a number of folks were betting (or at least hoping for) on that. However, that seems even more unlikely than a 2020 SOP seemed at this point, though I suspect the early release date will lead more than a few to hold out hope.
I knew 2020 SOP way back in January. But when making a more precise estimate, I relied more on historical data, which suggested G22 first, then G80/G82 showing up simultaneously. That logic put G80 into Fall 2020. Now I have just seen hard evidence that G80 will not wait for the 4 series. With that evidence, and everything else we've heard from other sources, I was able to offer the new estimate.

Why this timing I don't know. My best guess is the ability to debug S58 in F97 shortened the G80 development cycle. And once the car is ready why not sell it and make tons of money?

And I think you know I don't ever talk about exterior design. That's what Scott is for.
Appreciate 3
JTO242250.00
SYT_Shadow3549.00
mkoesel5271.00

      09-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #5
alex2364
Lieutenant Colonel
alex2364's Avatar
United_States
953
Rep
1,540
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
So we should see G80 arrive at US dealers by summer 2020?
Appreciate 2
themnmd416.00

      09-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Boomer 2019
New Member
Boomer 2019's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2019 440i Coupe M Sport 8A
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I knew 2020 SOP way back in January. But when making a more precise estimate, I relied more on historical data, which suggested G22 first, then G80/G82 showing up simultaneously. That logic put G80 into Fall 2020. Now I have just seen hard evidence that G80 will not wait for the 4 series. With that evidence, and everything else we've heard from other sources, I was able to offer the new estimate.

Why this timing I don't know. My best guess is the ability to debug S58 in F97 shortened the G80 development cycle. And once the car is ready why not sell it and make tons of money?

And I think you know I don't ever talk about exterior design. That's what Scott is for.
ynguldyn

I am trying to figure out the likely SOP for the G82 M4 given what we now know about the EOP of the F models, and the SOP of the G models.

Given:
EOP F30 - 10/18 SOP G20 - 11/18 one month turnaround even with a completly new design

EOP F32 - 6/20 SOP G22 - 7/20 again a one month turnaround with a new design

EOP F80 - 5/18 SOP G80 - 3/20 probably due to the 4 series schedeule

EOP F82 - 6/20 SOP G82 - TBA

Given that BMW can re-tool the production lines of the F30 & F32 in one month to produce the G20 & G22, is it not logical to think that they can do this with the G82 as well, and start production in 7/20? Or is there some physical reason why this would not be possible, or a business related reason? As a wise man once said, "Once the car is ready why not sell it and make tons of money?"
__________________
Min Grey Met // Blk Dak Leather // Blk Grills // MP LSD // MP Suspension Kit // MP Brake Kit // MPPSK // Dinan Elite Stg 1 Tune // Dinan CAI
Appreciate 1
mkoesel5271.00

      09-21-2019, 06:42 PM   #7
xlover
Major
No_Country
586
Rep
1,171
Posts

Drives: 2018 440 xdrive MPPSK
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 440 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Wow, that's going to cause some surprised faces, and probably some gloating too. Not only is that an entire year ahead of (in relative terms) the last generation model (and even further ahead of the E90), but it means the M3 will debut the face of the G2x 4 Series (or at least the grill and headlights, anyway).

Or, is it possible BMW tricked us with the M3 mules, and the M3 will use the G2x 3 Series grill/headlights instead? I know a number of folks were betting (or at least hoping for) on that. However, that seems even more unlikely than a 2020 SOP seemed at this point, though I suspect the early release date will lead more than a few to hold out hope.
Another possibility is that the M3/M4 while retaining the same basic structure of the new "big grill" facia maybe have differences now to differentiate between the two?
Appreciate 1
mkoesel5271.00

      09-21-2019, 09:03 PM   #8
ynguldyn
Colonel
2842
Rep
2,095
Posts

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
Given that BMW can re-tool the production lines of the F30 & F32 in one month to produce the G20 & G22, is it not logical to think that they can do this with the G82 as well, and start production in 7/20? Or is there some physical reason why this would not be possible, or a business related reason? A wise man once said "Once the car is ready why not sell it and make tons of money?"
My only argument against 7/20 would be "this has never been done before" but that's pretty weak. And as far as actual clues I've got none. However, just trusting my own intuition I would bet on 11/20.
Appreciate 2
JTO242250.00
mkoesel5271.00

      09-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #9
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5271
Rep
18,356
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
Given that BMW can re-tool the production lines of the F30 & F32 in one month to produce the G20 & G22, is it not logical to think that they can do this with the G82 as well, and start production in 7/20? Or is there some physical reason why this would not be possible, or a business related reason? A wise man once said "Once the car is ready why not sell it and make tons of money?"
In isolation, this is a very rational line of reasoning.

Yet, if we take a look at the release timing of M products that are, as I write this, no less ready to go than you (and for the sake of argument, I’ll agree) are supposing the G82 M4 will be by 7/20 but are nevertheless still not on the market, we are reminded that this would be unprecedented.
  • F95 X5 M and F96 X6 M - the G05 hit the market a year ago, but there is no X5 M yet. And, while, the G06 X6 just dropped a couple months ago, it was not joined by the X6 M at launch. The kicker here is that we saw "finished" versions of both products in leaked photos here on Bimmerpost months ago.

  • F93 M8 Gran Coupe - The M8 Coupe and Convertible hit the market already, so the development work has obviously long been complete. Yet, the G16 8 Series Gran Coupe, which is just now landing at dealerships, was not joined by its M8 counterpart. Instead that vehicle won't arrive on the market until next year (according to current prevailing belief). In this case the kicker is that we saw a concept preview for this vehicle well over a year ago.
Am I saying this guarantees a simultaneous G22/G82 launch won’t and can’t happen? No, but there is clearly more to the story than just looking at development mules and Series vehicle release schedules and concluding that everything could just come at once. It might just be that they want to make sure they are getting the non-M models screwed together right before introducing the M model which will have far more parts variation from its lesser siblings than any of them do from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Why this timing I don't know. My best guess is the ability to debug S58 in F97 shortened the G80 development cycle. And once the car is ready why not sell it and make tons of money?
That could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
My only argument against 7/20 would be "this has never been done before" but that's pretty weak. And as far as actual clues I've got none. However, just trusting my own intuition I would bet on 11/20.
That seems reasonable.

They aren’t even built on the same continent, but could the upcoming X6 M release provide some guide as to just how tight BMW can (or is willing to) make the turnaround between the standard and M models? I.e. do we know yet when F96 will begin production? I know that you’ve had the X5 M pegged for 2020 for over two years, but the month isn’t specified and it’s X6 M sibling isn’t listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Another possibility is that the M3/M4 while retaining the same basic structure of the new "big grill" facia maybe have differences now to differentiate between the two?
That would seem to be the least likely scenario yet, but given how crazy the events surrounding the G8x M3/M4 have already become, sure, why not? A distinct grill I could see as a reasonable possibility - that shouldn’t add too much cost. But headlights that are distinct from both the G20 and G22? That would seem to be a proposition that would be torpedoed immediately by bean counters. But maybe the G80 uses G20 headlights with this theoretical M specific grill, while the G82 uses G22 headlights with that same grill? Wild speculation on my part, but who knows?
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #10
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
IND-Distribution's Avatar
United_States
3900
Rep
6,532
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

We are ready!
__________________


866-963-4520 • FACEBOOKINSTAGRAMFLICKR
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED282.50

      09-23-2019, 11:30 AM   #11
Miko M
///M
Miko M's Avatar
United_States
4062
Rep
2,704
Posts

Drives: M5/M240xi
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

And we still don't know how it look like.
When will be full reveal?
__________________
Life is too short...enjoy your life
///M
Appreciate 1
M 4EVER136.00

      09-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #12
F85MTuNED
Lieutenant
F85MTuNED's Avatar
283
Rep
447
Posts

Drives: ///Ⓜ️
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NY / NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
We are ready!
😈...I could only imagine the things you guys are going to do...whatever that is I'm on board.

Time to say bye bye to my F85..😔
__________________
IM POOR..
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #13
mmanouk
Duke
United_States
3
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: M3 (F80)
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Wasn't the unveiling of the G80 suppose to be at last week's Frankfurt Auto Show?

Anyone know why it was not?
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #14
sguler
New Member
26
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: Bmw 328xi
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Kirkland, wa

iTrader: (0)

Damn!! I just put my deposit down on a 911S thinking M3 wasn't gonna be available until 2022. You guys....
Appreciate 2
M 4EVER136.00
ckrieg41.50

      09-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #15
Biersmith
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2016 435i convertible
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Akron, Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Can we assume G23 and G83 Convertible timing to mirror the coupe production dates?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #16
Mako
2000 M Roadster (sold), 2006 M Coupe (sold)
United_States
735
Rep
2,144
Posts

Drives: '16 M3 SO '19 Volvo XC90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Have they ever had the M3/4 coupe still in production when the new gen M3 sedan started production? That seems very odd.

based on this schedule they will be making both cars for about 3 months? Who is going to buy the old M4 at that point? Unless the new M3 with AWD and more power will be that much more expensive...

Also seems like this will eat into potential X3M/X4M sales since the G80 will be AWD. I know I will wait now that its only 6 months away.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #17
bimmer456
Brigadier General
1676
Rep
4,664
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

I'll wait for the i4 GC
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #18
Ghostriderf80
Got Tools?? Use them.
Ghostriderf80's Avatar
United Kingdom
399
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: Just a BMW
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Netz

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Another possibility is that the M3/M4 while retaining the same basic structure of the new "big grill" facia maybe have differences now to differentiate between the two?
I think the two extra doors will differentiate it enough.
__________________
1980 VW Rabbit 8v- 4spd - #1 First car - Thanks Dad.
1998.5 Audi A4 - very nicely built
2010 E90 325i M-Sport - M3/330i conversion, BBK/LSD FAST!
2014 M5 AKA Tomahawk Cruise Missile
2016 M3 Comp DCT - GTS flash, ESS, Akra DP, MPCO - Nirvana achieved
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #19
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5271
Rep
18,356
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmanouk View Post
Wasn't the unveiling of the G80 suppose to be at last week's Frankfurt Auto Show?

Anyone know why it was not?
Because they showed the 4 Series Coupe Concept instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Have they ever had the M3/4 coupe still in production when the new gen M3 sedan started production? That seems very odd.
The F80 M3 is not in production. It ended last year with MY2018.

But, no, the subsequent generation M3 has never began production while the current generation M4 (or M3 Coupe) is also still in production. However, it had also never happened with the M5 and M6 until the latest generation.

Quote:
based on this schedule they will be making both cars for about 3 months? Who is going to buy the old M4 at that point? Unless the new M3 with AWD and more power will be that much more expensive...
It's no different from the F06 M6 Gran Coupe remaining in production even after the F90 M5 went on sale. They are different products. It's also very similar to the F36 4 Series Gran Coupe still being produced while the G20 3 Series has been on the market for some time now.

Quote:
Also seems like this will eat into potential X3M/X4M sales since the G80 will be AWD. I know I will wait now that its only 6 months away.
Again, different products. While some people cross shop two dissimilar vehicles simply because they are both high performance products, a large segment of the population does not. They instead decide on vehicle form factor, and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #20
DML
Major
527
Rep
1,317
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Darien CT.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTScapes View Post
Trying to catch the 2018 F80 leasers coming off lease next year.
I'm a March 2017, gotta get a look at that finished kidney by no later than Jan. 2020.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:02 PM   #21
Racer20
Major
United_States
790
Rep
1,087
Posts

Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

iTrader: (0)

My assumption would be that they are trying to standardize the development cycle of all their products to be able to work to a single timeline for all programs.

It's apparent from the styling that BMW is trying to differentiate between the base 3 and 4 series more than before, so it's reasonable to assume they would do the same for the M.

One big question I haven't seen the answer to: will the 3 series and 4 series continue to share a common wheelbase? The F82 was already a bit stretched-out looking for a sporty coupe. With the G20 wheelbase being nearly 2" longer than the F30, the proportions are just going to get worse.
__________________
2015 M3, 2005 330i ZHP, 2015 228i 6MT Track Handling Pack, 2007 M Coupe (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #22
RyanBMW
Second Lieutenant
RyanBMW's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 328i, 2011 F10 550i,
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Plano, TX

iTrader: (0)

When will the F80 be revealed? If SOP is in March of 2020, and it's already getting toward the end of September of 2019, I thought it's suppose to be at the Frankfurt auto show?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST