Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Audiotec Fischer release an amp / harness for iDrive7

07-06-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Talking Audiotec Fischer release an amp / harness for iDrive7

Hi all,

So I have been tracking whether any of the main providers have a plug & plug amp replacement for the new iDrive 7 HiFi system (S676). Bavsound have mentioned no earlier than Christmas, but Audiotech Fischer have just got back to me stating they have a product! This was apparently released only a couple of days ago.

Quote:
"the UP7DSP MEC-A and a new harness, the PP-BMW1.7RAM. It is as Plug and Play as the UP7BMW although I don't believe that there are any preset tunes available for the vehicles. The previous tunes could definitely be applied and modified as necessary."
Amp:
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...ifiers/up-7dsp

You also need the MEC module https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...number=M142052

Harness:
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m.../pp-bmw-1.7ram

English translation from Google - The 7-channel plug & play wiring harness PP-BMW 1.7RAM enables the easy connection of a MATCH UP 7DSP with MEC ANALOG IN to selected BMW models from 2019 with a factory RAM sound concept.

* For all BMW sound systemw ith RAM (Receiver Audio Module) with manufacturing year > mid 2019
* Compatible with the factory STANDARD- and HIFI sound system
* Further information about the vehicle compatibility can be found in our adaptor database

This sounds pretty promising! Does anyone have any more information, or even considering purchasing it?

---------

Edit. Apparently you can buy the amp and MEC module in one, and cheaper. But I can't find it on the website.

Last edited by AustraliaG20; 08-13-2020 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc231.50
      07-06-2020, 07:04 PM   #2
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Wow that’s awesome. I’m assuming this will cost a fair penny. Interested to see what people think!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:26 PM   #3
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Son has this amp in F30 with Hi-Fi. The unit is pretty amazing the amount of control it gives you via the software is stunning. Plug in your lap top and you have access to each individual speaker and can set cross over points, volume and a ton of other things I don't understand :-)

We simply had another forum member give us a "tune" that we loaded. Trust me quite easy once you spend a little time with it or if you're not inclined to mess around with things it is great as a plug and play.

Also has an output if you want to run a seperate amp for a sub - and you can then set your cross over points so the underseat woofers act more like mid base units - again possibilities are endless couldn't recommend more highly

ps- he runs the amp with the stock speakers

Note:
For the US MSC America is the distributor out of Arizona - Doug was the gentleman I dealt with there when I had questions and he was a great and patient resource over the phone and via email when my Son and I had questions even though my Son bought the amp used from a fellow forum member
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc231.50
      07-07-2020, 03:07 AM   #4
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
Wow that’s awesome. I’m assuming this will cost a fair penny. Interested to see what people think!
Looks like the previous version was $1000: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-OcLY02...H-UP-7BMW.html

It's expensive (definitely more expensive than just checking the HK box on a build) but not as much as I would have expected.

I might have to check this out at some point... assuming it fits an April 2019 car.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:09 AM   #5
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I've got the Australian distributor emailing AF for more information, including whether it fits my Nov 2018 car, what happens with ASD, tuning files etc. I'll post back when I hear something.
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc231.50
      07-07-2020, 05:22 PM   #6
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

The UP 7BMW is a 4ch in/8ch out DSP/Amp. To make this DSP/amp to work with the RAM (iDrive 7, 7ch in/7ch out), Audiotec created a harness with built-in 2ch input add-on adapter -MEC ANALOG IN module.

The harness provides the standard 4ch inputs of the UP 7BMW (front and woofer output signals of the RAM), while the MEC ANALOG IN module is inserted into the UP 7BMW to create an extra 2ch inputs (rear output signals of the RAM).

The RAM has no full-range outputs in any channel therefore the UP 7BMW needs at least 6ch inputs (front/rear/woofers) to create a full range signal and have PDC sound front/rear. No need for the center speaker output of the RAM for a full range signal.

Harness + MEC ANALOG IN module = 6ch inputs to the UP 7BMW = RAM front/rear/woofers outputs.

UP 7BMW outputs power the OEM front/rear/center/woofers of the RAM HiFi system, and provide an RCA output for a sub/amp. This is not compatible with the RAM HK system (separate booster for woofers, 9ch output split into two harnesses).

IMO, the UP 7BMW is quite an upgrade from the HiFi system, especially if a sub/amp is added to the OEM speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
Hi all,

So I have been tracking whether any of the main providers have a plug & plug amp replacement for the new iDrive 7 HiFi system (S676). Bavsound have mentioned no earlier than Christmas, but Audiotech Fischer have just got back to me stating they have a product! This was apparently released only a couple of days ago.

Amp:
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...ifiers/up-7dsp

Harness:
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m.../pp-bmw-1.7ram

English translation from Google - The 7-channel plug & play wiring harness PP-BMW 1.7RAM enables the easy connection of a MATCH UP 7DSP with MEC ANALOG IN to selected BMW models from 2019 with a factory RAM sound concept.

* For all BMW sound systemw ith RAM (Receiver Audio Module) with manufacturing year > mid 2019
* Compatible with the factory STANDARD- and HIFI sound system
* Further information about the vehicle compatibility can be found in our adaptor database

This sounds pretty promising! Does anyone have any more information, or even considering purchasing it?
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc231.50
      07-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So AF responded, it's pretty much plug and play except there are no pre set tunes and you need to run your own power from the battery. I still have no idea what happens with the ASD. Apparently make sure you buy the UP7DSP not the BMW branded one.

As it is over $2000 total here in Australia, I'm going to hold off a little bit and see what others think.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 03:20 AM   #8
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So AF responded, it's pretty much plug and play except there are no pre set tunes and you need to run your own power from the battery. I still have no idea what happens with the ASD. Apparently make sure you buy the UP7DSP not the BMW branded one.

As it is over $2000 total here in Australia, I'm going to hold off a little bit and see what others think.
Well, at least the battery is in the trunk...

Isn't the UP7DSP the "generic" amp? What's the difference between it and the UP7BMW? Are they not doing a specific BMW setup?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #9
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

There is no separate ASD module in the G20, it is embedded into the RAM.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #10
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
Well, at least the battery is in the trunk...

Isn't the UP7DSP the "generic" amp? What's the difference between it and the UP7BMW? Are they not doing a specific BMW setup?
The UP 7DSP requires a direct battery connection for power/ground. The UP 7BMW uses the existing power connection of the OEM amp so it can be PnP via harness. There is no separate OEM amp in the RAM system of the G20.
Appreciate 1
helmet91279.50
      07-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #11
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
There is no separate ASD module in the G20, it is embedded into the RAM.
Ok... does that mean that the ASD sounds will also be amplified? Or we're coding it off as well?
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc231.50
      07-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #12
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok... does that mean that the ASD sounds will also be amplified? Or we're coding it off as well?
ASD in the RAM must be coded off.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 04:49 AM   #13
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The UP 7DSP requires a direct battery connection for power/ground. The UP 7BMW uses the existing power connection of the OEM amp so it can be PnP via harness. There is no separate OEM amp in the RAM system of the G20.
Thanks... I think I'm following along here.

Now to see if this setup is compatible with a 4/2019 build G20.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 06:21 AM   #14
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Forgive the further questions:

So... where is the Match amp installed if there's no amp to begin with?

UP7BMW
+
MEC Analog-In
+
PP BMW1.7 harness
=
New stereo awesomeness??

Or do we have to use the 7DSP instead of the BMW branded one with harness and MEC?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #15
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The UP 7 (be the BMW or the DSP) is installed between the RAM and its OEM harness -unplug RAM, plug UP 7 harness in between, plug UP 7 to harness. Then wire UP 7 to battery/ground.

The UP 7BMW can be wired directly to the battery.

The RAM cannot be removed because that is where the radio tuners are located.

Quote:
Forgive the further questions:

So... where is the Match amp installed if there's no amp to begin with?

UP7BMW
+
MEC Analog-In
+
PP BMW1.7 harness
=
New stereo awesomeness??

Or do we have to use the 7DSP instead of the BMW branded one with harness and MEC?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc231.50
      07-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #16
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks... I think I'm following along here.

Now to see if this setup is compatible with a 4/2019 build G20.
Is physically checking the only option? What exactly would I be looking for? I've got an 11/2018 build.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 05:35 PM   #17
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Well you guys sold me. Will likely wait until the winter since I've spent too much on my car already and need to find something to get me through the winter doldrums. Amp should do the trick, and by then maybe Bavsound will have something too so will be able to compare the two.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 04:34 AM   #18
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is physically checking the only option? What exactly would I be looking for? I've got an 11/2018 build.
A great question... I'm new to this platform so I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 06:02 AM   #19
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

I'm trying to wrap my head around this as I'm not too familiar with the BMW wiring and electronics architecture in G20.

It's unclear to me if this amplifier and harness compatible with the HiFi system running on iDrive 6. I remember that it was mentioned that iDrive 6 HiFi system had internal amplifier integrated in the headunit (located in the dashboard, behind the A/C control panel).

Encanto Can you help me in claryfing this. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #20
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The G20 uses two "head units" (HU and RAM) depending on sound system type - Stereo, HiFi, Top HiFi. There are HU-Basic, HU-Mid, and HU-High depending on vehicle options. The HU is the controller of the iDrive system and displays, the RAM is the tuner module (AM, FM, DAB, SDARS tuners -US version-), the Active Sound Design (ASD) outside and inside, and the 7ch amplifier with DSP among other features. The RAM powers all the speakers directly.

For the Stereo system (no RAM in trunk), the HU-Basic is located in the dashboard below the AC controls (photo below). It is a classic HU -tuner, amp, and display controller all in one unit, as in the F30. The HU-Basic powers all the speakers directly.

This UP 7BMW RAM harness is not designed for the HU-Basic as there is no RAM. However, this is a matter of time until HU-Basic harnesses are available in the market as any 4ch amplifier/DSP can be adapted to it.

If your system is HiFi (tweeters in front doors) then there is a RAM in the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around this as I'm not too familiar with the BMW wiring and electronics architecture in G20.

It's unclear to me if this amplifier and harness compatible with the HiFi system running on iDrive 6. I remember that it was mentioned that iDrive 6 HiFi system had internal amplifier integrated in the headunit (located in the dashboard, behind the A/C control panel).

Encanto Can you help me in claryfing this. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
helmet91279.50
      07-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #21
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
The G20 uses two "head units" (HU and RAM) depending on sound system type - Stereo, HiFi, Top HiFi. There are HU-Basic, HU-Mid, and HU-High depending on vehicle options. The HU is the controller of the iDrive system and displays, the RAM is the tuner module (AM, FM, DAB, SDARS tuners -US version-), the Active Sound Design (ASD) outside and inside, and the 7ch amplifier with DSP among other features. The RAM powers all the speakers directly.

For the Stereo system (no RAM in trunk), the HU-Basic is located in the dashboard below the AC controls (photo below). It is a classic HU -tuner, amp, and display controller all in one unit, as in the F30. The HU-Basic powers all the speakers directly.

This UP 7BMW RAM harness is not designed for the HU-Basic as there is no RAM. However, this is a matter of time until HU-Basic harnesses are available in the market as any 4ch amplifier/DSP can be adapted to it.

If your system is HiFi (tweeters in front doors) then there is a RAM in the trunk.
Thanks very much Encanto.

It's all clear now. I have HIFI. I've already installed ETON speakers for all mids and tweeters + center channel and I'm very happy with this setup as the sound is much clearer, tighter and the whole system sounds more natural. I'm not yet sure if I'm willing to put out 800€ on this amp and harness, but it's good to know that there are options. I'm sure that Etons would sing beautifully with some concrete power running them.

I'll be checking out the RAM unit in my trunk this week.

Last edited by Calamari; 07-14-2020 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 07:37 AM   #22
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Next dumb question from helmet91:

Where in the trunk does a person find the RAM? I have an access panel on the right that has the fuse box. And there's the battery under the floor. I don't see anything else that's obvious.

My build sheet says I have:
645 Radio Control US
65A CD Player Prep (where the hell is that located??)
676 Hi-fi sound system

So, judging by post #20, I should have the RAM... but where?

For what it's worth, Bimmercode lets me turn off ASD in the RAM.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0