Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Using Auto-Hold causes excess wear?

08-22-2020, 10:23 PM   #23
G80JL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Thanks for the advice about driving at night.

This topic has been discussed before and a search of the internet will provide different views regarding foot brake when stationary.

Just because I said it is annoying doesn’t mean it hinders me from driving. As for the Auto Hold .... it does not keep the brake lights on. Just checked my car..... lol.
Pretty sure it does keep the lights on. My G05 is doing it, several other G cars I had before were doing it (G31, G01, G11) as well as my F11 and other F cars I had before. When I'm coming home I have to drive into a car lift with doors closing right behind my car, so I see the braking lights and them staying on with auto hold every single day.

They stop once your gear changes to park, maybe that's what happened to you.
Yes brake lights do stay lit on auto hold.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 10:25 PM   #24
G80JL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

Quote:
Maybe.....
Yes the brake lights do stay on auto hold
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 10:36 PM   #25
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhibhooligan View Post
Wow! For everyone interested I just learned how auto-hold actually works. Here's an excerpt:

"The auto-hold function is a component of the ABS and ESP system and, once you've activated the system by pressing the 'auto-hold' button which is usually near your electric park brake switch, it will automatically hold the brake pressure you applied. This means you need to give the brakes a good shove to ensure adequate pressure is applied."

So it seems it uses the full brakes (not parking brake) and just simply holds the brake force you apply.
Correct. The parking brake is not a separate assembly on the rear axle either. The rear axle calipers use an electric motor to secure the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 01:38 AM   #26
TristarL10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW  [8.75]
My brake lights stay on in the auto hold mode while stopped. Once I touch my accelerator pedal to begin moving it releases the brakes and the brake lights....
      08-23-2020, 02:26 AM   #27
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Same here. Brake lights stay on. I wish they did not. In the manual car, it's a good practice to pull the hand brake on rather than keep your foot on the brakes. In the automatic there is not much choice but with Auto-Hold feature I would like the lights to stay off. There is no need for brake lights to be on. I agree, it's definitely annoying. I would say it's a simple matter of courtesy to other drivers.

Last edited by hamera; 08-23-2020 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #28
BillyLDN
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
Same here. Brake lights stay on. I wish they did not. In the manual car, it's a good practice to pull the hand brake on rather than keep your foot on the brakes. In the automatic there is not much choice but with Auto-Hold feature I would like the lights to stay off. There is no need for brake lights to be on. I agree, it's definitely annoying. I would say it's a simple matter of courtesy to other drivers.
Agreed. I wonder if this can be coded.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 12:56 PM   #29
exhibhooligan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyLDN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
Agreed. I wonder if this can be coded.
I was just thinking that seems like a feature that could be coded. In BimmerCode I've never specifically seen that feature that I can remember.

I know it's easy to code the parking lights to stay on all the time no matter the conditions. Many people like to keep the rear parking lights on 24/7 for added visibility to other people on the road. So it seems logical that BimmerCode might have the option to turn off the brake lights when Auto-Hold is active.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #30
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Courtesy until one day you're sitting at a light and someone not paying attention slams into the rear. Always fear being rear ended and those lights help to alert whomever is approaching from behind. I got rear-ended back when I had the E46, not a good experience.

Furthermore, now in the era where countless drivers are browsing and responding to social media while driving. The more alerts we have for those distracted drivers could be difference between a bad accident and or fatality. I am always aggravated when I come across wankers who operate cars without functioning brake lights. If you're at a stop the lights should be displayed.
      08-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #31
exhibhooligan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Courtesy until one day you're sitting at a light and someone not paying attention slams into the rear. Always fear being rear ended and those lights help to alert whomever is approaching from behind. I got rear-ended back when I had the E46, not a good experience.

Furthermore, now in the era where countless drivers are browsing and responding to social media while driving. The more alerts we have for those distracted drivers could be difference between a bad accident and or fatality. I am always aggravated when I come across wankers who operate cars without functioning brake lights. If you're at a stop the lights should be displayed.
I couldn't agree me. I think courtesy for other drivers and safety for myself are 2 different ballgames. I've personally never gotten angry for the guy in front of me to keep his brake lights on. I don't think most people at red lights are getting angry from a set of brake lights.
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #32
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

I get angry from those with the illegal LED headlights especially on trucks. At a stop light at night across from you they're blinding. This I see a lot on old wranglers and pickup trucks.

Some of these wankers even have the roof led light bars on above windshield area when those are strictly for off road purposes. Our LEO doesn't seem to be issuing citations for these which they should.
      08-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #33
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post

I'm sorry but if someone isn't paying attention you are getting rear ended regardless of your brakes lights being on or off. Brake lights constantly on during a stop don't really change much in this circumstances in my opinion.

Anyway, when I mentioned the courtesy, I meant the situation when someone is already at a stand still behind you. There is absolutely no need for him to be dazzled by your lights. It's not about getting angry. There is simply no need for this.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #34
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

I've gotten so used to holding down the brake that when I'm sitting in my car waiting for it to warm up and its still in park, I'm still holding in the brake pedal till I'm ready to move
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:17 AM   #35
cnichols138
X3M Comp is a beast
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp

Wow. That would be tough. I rear ended someone once for not having his brake lights on. thought for some reason he was moving. Turns out he was using the clutch to keep him there...No brake lights visible....which would have been great in this instance. I pulled out of line and sped up to the light and he was not moving had I anticipated. OOPS.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2020, 07:37 AM   #36
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnichols138 View Post
No brake lights visible....which would have been great in this instance. I pulled out of line and sped up to the light and he was not moving had I anticipated. OOPS.
You know what would be even better in this instance? If you actually paid some attention to moving/not moving vehicles on the road
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:45 PM   #37
mfdutra
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

The auto hold doesn't use the parking brake. It just holds hydraulic pressure on the brake line, just as if you are holding the pedal.

If you shift the transmission to P, then it automatically engages the parking brake. You can hear that well if you pay attention.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:19 AM   #38
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Thanks for the advice about driving at night.

This topic has been discussed before and a search of the internet will provide different views regarding foot brake when stationary.

Just because I said it is annoying doesn’t mean it hinders me from driving. As for the Auto Hold .... it does not keep the brake lights on. Just checked my car..... lol.
One can find anything one wants on the internet and the value is what you pay for it...nothing.

I would go for what the manufacturer says and what your state driver's manuals say (assuming there is one...I assume there is).
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 12:45 AM   #39
jdc0907
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i (on order)

Quick question - if I select park and don't have auto hold enabled (and I'm on a flat surface), will the electronic parking brake automatically be applied once I lock the car or is the transmision the only thing stopping the car moving forwards?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 03:16 AM   #40
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc0907 View Post
Quick question - if I select park and don't have auto hold enabled (and I'm on a flat surface), will the electronic parking brake automatically be applied once I lock the car or is the transmision the only thing stopping the car moving forwards?
Not unless the function has changed very recently. (G20 I had back in the Autumn works like my 535i). You need to apply the parking brake manually, when Auto-Hold is not active.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 06:01 AM   #41
Conan-
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc0907 View Post
according to the manual and experience, parking brakes does not auto engage if auto hold is not enabled. so i’d say the only thing holding it in place would be the gear
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 07:45 AM   #42
bese60
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Whats autohold feature? the auto start?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 08:27 AM   #43
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
People who sit stationary with their foot on the brake is annoying. I was taught to use my handbrake when stationary exactly what the auto hold achieves.
That's just goofy. You are the only person I have every heard, in my 45 years of driving, that complains2 about brake lights or who uses the emergency brake when stopped.
Appreciate 3
      02-02-2022, 09:34 AM   #44
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
That's just goofy. You are the only person I have every heard, in my 45 years of driving, that complains2 about brake lights or who uses the emergency brake when stopped.
Seems to be a common, often taught, practice in some countries such as England, Australia and New Zealand.

For example:

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 8.32.43 AM.png
Views: 643
Size:  202.2 KB

https://www.drivingtests.co.nz/resou...parking-brake/