Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications 2021 Flashing.... Bad News for now...

05-26-2021, 05:33 PM   #111
BMuleW
Left lane please
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

I don’t like the message but I won’t shoot the messenger! Guess I will just get acclimated and even more comfortable driving the car until the situation changes.

BayM340i - I have ready access to a dealership that handles Carbahn products, which offers factory warranty coverage backstop should anything be rejected by BMW. With 400 miles on my car, there is value there.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #112
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Clipper View Post
Honestly, the first time you install JB4 it'll be time consuming and cumbersome, however, IF you remove it prior to a shop visit and/or have a "mod friendly SA" I doubt they'd even care as long as you put it in Map 0 when visiting. I've seen some folks say 15mins to install. I doubt I could get it under 30 but everyone has their "tricks"

I dont know about aftermarket exhaust, but, my wifes 2019 X3 M40i is SIGNIFICANTLY louder and pops a lot more, including shift "burps" that Im jealous AF over (dont tell her) whereas my 2021 M340i makes VERY mild burbles and pops at low throttle/rpm.

I wont lie, I covet the louder pops and bangs sometimes but then when I pull into the garage at work I'm thankful my car isnt that loud because our garage is under everyones office space and its sure to get you exiled from parking underground.

Yin/Yang I guess. I have a love / hate relationship with this car
If you’re familiar with the JB4 product you can easily do it in 15min. My first JB4 install on my Infiniti took an hour lol, but every vehicle since then I can install in 10-15min.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 03:41 PM   #113
BMuleW
Left lane please
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmaxx View Post
If you’re familiar with the JB4 product you can easily do it in 15min. My first JB4 install on my Infiniti took an hour lol, but every vehicle since then I can install in 10-15min.
So does the JB4 come with a prepackaged tune, or do I need to become an expert on it myself to set it up. I am a pretty competent at-home mechanic and have no doubt I could install the thing. I seek knowledge about what happens once it's installed. I know the B58 is capable of way more than the the factory tune. They upped a little for '21 so it has more power than prior years along with the mild hybrid system to improve MPG (if that's your thing). I also don't want to lose any of the silky smoothness which it currently exhibits in the power band and shift points.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 05:55 PM   #114
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMuleW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmaxx View Post
So does the JB4 come with a prepackaged tune, or do I need to become an expert on it myself to set it up. I am a pretty competent at-home mechanic and have no doubt I could install the thing. I seek knowledge about what happens once it's installed. I know the B58 is capable of way more than the the factory tune. They upped a little for '21 so it has more power than prior years along with the mild hybrid system to improve MPG (if that's your thing). I also don't want to lose any of the silky smoothness which it currently exhibits in the power band and shift points.
The drawback of piggyback is that it's not always efficient and not as smooth between gears compared to a flash tune.

2020 Portimao Blue M340 X Drive and adaptive suspension.
Mods: custom exhaust, VRSF Catted DP, Injen intake and Chargepipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 06:05 PM   #115
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Quote:
JB4 has pre-built maps. There is a "custom map" option but I believe its limited to the parameters which can be manipulated without actually changing the DME. What those are, I have ZERO clue and I'm not educated enough on the differences between flash on and piggy back to guide you any further than that. I just know my own personal preference is a flash tune, but, that the JB4 is going to be sufficient for now.

Some swear by one or the other and on the E90 platform guys did both so I would assume even when flashing is available Terry will provide some BEF maps

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 07:12 PM   #116
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
It has built in maps (tunes) you can select from. And in my experience, the shifts and smoothness of the engine are as good as stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 01:51 AM   #117
totomoto
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F90"22 & F97"19

MANHART MH3 600 is now available! They confirmed on their instagram post that the new Bosch ECU is tunable.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 04:59 AM   #118
alizandru
automotive enthusiast
Romania
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i 2021

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by totomoto View Post
MANHART MH3 600 is now available! They confirmed on their instagram post that the new Bosch ECU is tunable.
It is not tunable. They specify that the MH3 model is tuned with a powebox.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #119
serg1282
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: through

Mission appears to be beta testing a tune for the new ECUs. There's an announcement on their homepage here: https://missiontuning.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:29 AM   #120
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by serg1282 View Post
Mission appears to be beta testing a tune for the new ECUs. There's an announcement on their homepage here: https://missiontuning.com/
I tried calling to get on the beta list but apparently they got everything they need :/
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 07:34 AM   #121
BMuleW
Left lane please
United_States
Rep

Interesting. Can someone comment on Mission’s BS factor historically? Whether they are selling to the public or not, if they are testing tunes privately they have cracked the DME. Or have they teased like this before?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #122
serg1282
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: through

Quote:
Interesting. Can someone comment on Mission’s BS factor historically? Whether they are selling to the public or not, if they are testing tunes privately they have cracked the DME. Or have they teased like this before?
They don't really blow smoke in my experience. I'm running their stage 2 tune on my M340 that I was able to flash over OBD as I have an earlier build on factory software.

Other folks on the forums like Chenry have even more experience with them (and he's visited his shop), so hopefully he pops in here to comment.

Either way, the proof will be in the pudding as they say.

chenry

Last edited by serg1282; 06-11-2021 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Tagging Chenry
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #123
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by serg1282 View Post
Quote:
They don't really blow smoke in my experience. I'm running their stage 2 tune on my M340 that I was able to flash over OBD as I have an earlier build on factory software.

Other folks on the forums like Chenry have even more experience with them (and he's visited his shop), so hopefully he pops in here to comment.

Either way, the proof will be in the pudding as they say.

chenry
As fate would have it - I am heading out there right now as a passenger in a Ford super duty - dropping off a GTS style hood their body shop is fitting to my Sons car….

I'll see what Alex is willing to share (fingers crossed I can get something out of him)

Ps- I did see Alex last weekend while I was at a track event at California speedway (for my 50th birthday…ouch ha) - he was there with his 700+ HP AWD wagon he built (what a beautiful beast he made it out of two cars and looks like the M3 wagon bmw never built - B58 powered) but I didn't talk him up about the new platform but I did say hello and he was nice enough to introduce me to his soon to be wife and I got a MP hat (hat is super cool) when he found out I was there for my birthday
Appreciate 1
russell21147.00
      06-12-2021, 09:15 AM   #124
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

**quick update from my jaunt to MP yesterday**

I'll provide a little more info re what I was able learn when I have a little more time (running out the door to a BMW meet and then a BCCA event right now)

To Summarize:

YES Alex is once again making the latest BMW DMEs his little b*tch
Appreciate 3
      06-12-2021, 10:07 AM   #125
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post

I'll provide a little more info re what I was able learn when I have a little more time (running out the door to a BMW meet and then a BCCA event right now)

To Summarize:

Thanks for sharing bud! Im super excited... my car has felt slow now that I've had it for 6 months and I'm use to it.

I'm ready for a power increase!!!!
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2021, 05:18 PM   #126
BMuleW
Left lane please
United_States
Rep

Quote:

To Summarize:

Timeline please
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 08:14 AM   #127
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

updates please ?
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 02:54 PM   #128
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Im thinking Chenry signed an NDA in order to join the BETA group LOL

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #129
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Clipper View Post
Im thinking Chenry signed an NDA in order to join the BETA group LOL
Lol. Where do I sign??
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 04:29 PM   #130
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hi Gents
Sorry for the delay - here's what I was able to gather.

As I understand it Mission Performance has indeed cracked the 21 DME on their shops X5 (same 21 DME).

So they're in - now how long it'll take before they can lock down security to try to prevent software piracy and IP theft I don't know but Alex did mention in passing that he didn't want anyone else to rip him off again.

Oh also I wouldn't be surprised if the 21 flashes are being delivered on the new Mission Performance flash architecture that will support flashing, coding, logging and innovation in the BMW electric space

I think we're going to see a video drop soon demonstrating the unlock to prove that it has been done for the 1st time anywhere

That's all I've got
Appreciate 7
      06-16-2021, 04:45 PM   #131
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Gents
Sorry for the delay - here's what I was able to gather.

As I understand it Mission Performance has indeed cracked the 21 DME on their shops X5 (same 21 DME).

So they're in - now how long it'll take before they can lock down security to try to prevent software piracy and IP theft I don't know but Alex did mention in passing that he didn't want anyone else to rip him off again.

Oh also I wouldn't be surprised if the 21 flashes are being delivered on the new Mission Performance flash architecture that will support flashing, coding, logging and innovation in the BMW electric space

I think we're going to see a video drop soon demonstrating the unlock to prove that it has been done for the 1st time anywhere

That's all I've got
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 05:12 PM   #132
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Fully unlocked OBD tuning 06/2020+ ECU

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27704275