F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2013 328i F30 Stalling and Tapping Sound From Engine
proTUNING Freaks

11-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #1
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30, 06 325i, 07 328i

Hello friends , I'm kinda concerned about my car. I have a 2013 328i with the N20 4 cylinder turbo motor with 100,281 miles on it. I know and I'm aware that these cars are known to tap and sound like a Diesel engine. Mine I feel is much louder than most I've seen. I bought it about a month ago and after taking it on an extensive test drive. At the time of purchase there was no tapping. It sounded good and checked out well so I bought it. Immediately after I pay the seller and drive away I get to the first stop light and as I'm slowing down the car starts running rough, shaking, and than as I came to a complete stop the car died. I was able to start it back up but it did the same exact thing a few more times on the drive home. Since than the car has developed a tapping noise under the hood and it's had an issue with constant stalling. It stalls in the morning upon backing out of my garage than it dies a couple more times. It stalls when it's at operating temp as well as upon first driving for the day I've also noticed the start stop function to save gas at lights only works occasionally. I have also noticed when in reverse it sounds like a whining noise not sure it it's the tranny or where it's coming from. I was told to try fresh oil In the car so I did an oil change using Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5w-30. After changing the oil the tapping is now much louder. I've noticed that if I'm in sport mode the car doesn't stall at all or very rarely anyways. So now the tapping is much louder and I'm considering running 10w-30 or 10w-40 in it to see if the thicker oil will help the tapping any ?? I was told to dump a quart of oil and add a quart of marvels mystery oil or Lucas but I'm not sure that such a great idea. My biggest concern is the tapping may be an indication that the timing chain is about to do the gernade scenario to my motor. Which I'm nervous about !! Anything anyone could advise on this would be greatly appreciated. Hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend and have happy holidays this year. Thank you for your valued time
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 01:24 AM   #2
rstep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3series View Post
Hello friends , I'm kinda concerned about my car. I have a 2013 328i with the N20 4 cylinder turbo motor with 100,281 miles on it. I know and I'm aware that these cars are known to tap and sound like a Diesel engine. Mine I feel is much louder than most I've seen. I bought it about a month ago and after taking it on an extensive test drive. At the time of purchase there was no tapping. It sounded good and checked out well so I bought it. Immediately after I pay the seller and drive away I get to the first stop light and as I'm slowing down the car starts running rough, shaking, and than as I came to a complete stop the car died. I was able to start it back up but it did the same exact thing a few more times on the drive home. Since than the car has developed a tapping noise under the hood and it's had an issue with constant stalling. It stalls in the morning upon backing out of my garage than it dies a couple more times. It stalls when it's at operating temp as well as upon first driving for the day I've also noticed the start stop function to save gas at lights only works occasionally. I have also noticed when in reverse it sounds like a whining noise not sure it it's the tranny or where it's coming from. I was told to try fresh oil In the car so I did an oil change using Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5w-30. After changing the oil the tapping is now much louder. I've noticed that if I'm in sport mode the car doesn't stall at all or very rarely anyways. So now the tapping is much louder and I'm considering running 10w-30 or 10w-40 in it to see if the thicker oil will help the tapping any ?? I was told to dump a quart of oil and add a quart of marvels mystery oil or Lucas but I'm not sure that such a great idea. My biggest concern is the tapping may be an indication that the timing chain is about to do the gernade scenario to my motor. Which I'm nervous about !! Anything anyone could advise on this would be greatly appreciated. Hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend and have happy holidays this year. Thank you for your valued time
Could you take a video of it, and post it onto youtube and then add the link? My 2015 328i makes a loud tapping noise aswell, and from what I've read the squeaky trans on reverse is common. However I haven't heard about the stalling.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It's possible the seller pulled the old STP trick to quiet the engine. The other symptoms could be plugs, coils or injectors. Get an OBD diagnostic and repair tool, like the Foxwell NT510. That's the first step in tracking down problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Whats the old STP trick consist of doing ? I have never heard of this. I have inpa and Ista however I've only used these with e90. I have kd can and enet cables not sure if I can use for diagnostics or not. Would I need to download datens for f 30 as I believe I only have installed e89 datens for e90. ?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

There's no check engine light on? Does the check engine light illuminate at all when you first start your car? Seems like the seller was it exactly honest with you. Have you tried reaching out to them?
As the others said a video would help us help you.
      11-22-2020, 01:58 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Whats the old STP trick consist of doing?
You pour a quart of STP into the engine. It will quiet it down, but only for a little while.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

RE: Engine Tapping Link to Video Added

Ive posted a YouTube video so y'all can hear my motor and hopefully tell me it's nothing serious ...Lol wishful thinking I know here is the link any advice would be appreciated the tapping/ knocking is getting louder

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #8
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
I dont think that sounds all that out of the ordinary to be honest. Ive had two N20 powered vehicles and they both sound very similar. These engines are far from quiet.

The stalling is definitely not normal though obviously and could be one of a hundred things.

The whining in reverse is completely normal, as mentioned above.

I'd get BimmerLink and BimmerCode from the app store and first check for any stored codes... secondly I'd code Auto Start Stop off.

Do not increase viscosity of oil past 40 weight. Lots of us running 0w40.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 05:32 PM   #9
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
You can also take a peak at the timing chain through the oil fill cap (with engine off but oil warm). Lightly prod with a pick or screwdriver to check for excessive play.

You can also push on guides lightly which should have zero play and feel very firm.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #10
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I appreciate the comment and the advice. I don't think this is at all normal though. Ive previously owned the same year and model BMW, I have friends with F30s, another friend owns an Indy shop in town and so I hear a lot of f30s around me tapping yes but not even half as loud as this one does. Some of the cars sound like a diesel model but this car people turn their heads to see what is making the noise and they look at me like I'm some idiot driving with no oil in the motor. It's pretty loud. I'm afraid to drive it honestly for fear something is about to break.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 06:18 PM   #11
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
I appreciate the comment and the advice. I don't think this is at all normal though. Ive previously owned the same year and model BMW, I have friends with F30s, another friend owns an Indy shop in town and so I hear a lot of f30s around me tapping yes but not even half as loud as this one does. Some of the cars sound like a diesel model but this car people turn their heads to see what is making the noise and they look at me like I'm some idiot driving with no oil in the motor. It's pretty loud. I'm afraid to drive it honestly for fear something is about to break.
Is there a crazy high pitched whining/revving sound when you increase throttle? And if you look in your oil cap, can you reach in and move the guides around? Those are definite signs of the timing chain issue. The specific sound bmw techs would look for can be found on Google. If yours matches, then chances are yes you have the timing chain issue. I also had a 2013 328i and it was loud, but I agree, yours does not sound right to me either. Mine didn't sound exactly like yours for sure.