Bimmerpost
3
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Need help identifying which brakes I have.

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Solid2021
New Member
1
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: M340
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Need help identifying which brakes I have.

Hello I have a new 340 without ZTK. My only complaint with the car are the brakes do not have initial bite or great stopping power.

I am considering m performance brakes as that is the only upgrade I am aware of but I cannot tell if I already have the same size brakes as m performance brakes ?

Need advise the best or most affordable option to upgrade my brakes maybe even different brake pads ?
Attached Images
    
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #2
RSnic
Major
RSnic's Avatar
United_States
531
Rep
1,340
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340   [0.00]
Solid2021,

I have a 2020 M340; one of the standard items that came with the car was S2NHA M Sport brakes -- just checked the VIN decoder. So you might already have M brakes

Having said that I agree with you that the car needs a little better brakes, particularly on the track.
__________________
Al

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
2891
Rep
4,094
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Yes...you have the MSport brakes. On a 2018 5 series, the regular brakes were sliding one piston in the back and two fixed pistons in front; the MSport had a fixed two piston caliper in the back and four piston caliper in the front.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #4
ultrared93
Private
United_States
60
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: '21 M340ix '93 300zxTT QX30
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: SE Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid2021 View Post
Hello I have a new 340 without ZTK. My only complaint with the car are the brakes do not have initial bite or great stopping power.

I am considering m performance brakes as that is the only upgrade I am aware of but I cannot tell if I already have the same size brakes as m performance brakes ?

Need advise the best or most affordable option to upgrade my brakes maybe even different brake pads ?
I would try different pads first before going to new rotors and calipers. I've had good experience in the past with Hawk HPS on other brands of cars that needed a little help in the braking department.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #5
Solid2021
New Member
1
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: M340
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

From the research I have done it appears I have the m performance brakes. I copied a picture another member posted who updated from M sport to M performance brakes you can see thereís slight differences in the design of the caliper and the design matches the calipers I have on my car.

It appears to me the only difference between my current brakes and whatís included with the m performance brakes are the dotted rotors.

I very curious to see pictures of the actual brakes on a car with the heating and cooling package as that is supposed to have upgraded brakes.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 05:47 PM   #6
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
JTYAMSHAYIN's Avatar
United_States
230
Rep
283
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: North Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid2021 View Post
From the research I have done it appears I have the m performance brakes. I copied a picture another member posted who updated from M sport to M performance brakes you can see there's slight differences in the design of the caliper and the design matches the calipers I have on my car.

It appears to me the only difference between my current brakes and what's included with the m performance brakes are the dotted rotors.

I very curious to see pictures of the actual brakes on a car with the heating and cooling package as that is supposed to have upgraded brakes.
I really don't think you have the M Performance brakes. I'm thinking you have the usual MSport brakes that come with the m340i but just with a red caliper. Yours appear to be the usual size that come standard.

Edit: After looking closer i think you're correct. The size from a Picture can really play tricks.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #7
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Canada
3554
Rep
3,049
Posts

Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Definitely not the upgraded caliper or rotor size that you got with the 2020 ZTK package.
__________________
Current: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback / 2022 Audi Q7
Gone: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback / 2020 BMW M340i / 2019 Audi Q7 / 2019 Audi S5 Sportback / 2019 Audi S4 / 2018 Audi S5 Coupe / 2018 Lexus IS350
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #8
siegester
Captain
siegester's Avatar
302
Rep
719
Posts

Drives: '20 M340i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I think you have standard M sport brakes.

The 2 piston placement circles are too close together. (Purple)

If you look at the 3 dots above each piston ciclenon the outer edge you will see INDENT - HOLE - INDENT is the M sport and the M performance have the holes on the outside of each set of indentations. (Orange)

The opening above the ///M logo looks smaller in the comparison photo you posted, but this is due to the slightly different angle in that shot.

The M performance calipers would extend further above and below the standard sized rotor you have (green)
Attached Images
  

Last edited by siegester; 12-07-2020 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #9
calbears
Major
1544
Rep
1,348
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
2017 M2  [0.00]
2018 M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by siegester View Post
I think you have standard M sport brakes.

The 2 piston placement circles are too close together. (Purple)

If you look at the 3 dots above each piston ciclenon the outer edge you will see INDENT - HOLE - INDENT is the M sport and the M performance have the holes on the outside of each set of indentations. (Orange)

The opening above the ///M logo looks smaller in the comparison photo you posted, but this is due to the slightly different angle in that shot.

The M performance calipers would extend further above and below the standard sized rotor you have (green)
I think that's correct. The M Performance brakes look a bit different and appear larger and fill the wheel more than the M Sport brakes. Red calipers with the cooling and high performance tire package with 19" wheels. Blue calipers standard on the M340i with 19" wheels. Note the placement of the pin to keep the pads in place
Attached Images
  
__________________
2018 F80 M3 CS
2017 M2, LBB, DCT, exec, car play, MPE, diffuser
2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #10
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
257
Rep
299
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

On the 2021 models you can choose if the M brakes are blue or red, that’s the only difference.
Appreciate 1
OM3RTA360.50
      12-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #11
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Canada
3554
Rep
3,049
Posts

Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Here's the caliper from the cooling package (ZTK) from my 2020 M340i. You can see it is the same as the red upgraded "M Performance brakes"...
Attached Images
 
__________________
Current: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback / 2022 Audi Q7
Gone: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback / 2020 BMW M340i / 2019 Audi Q7 / 2019 Audi S5 Sportback / 2019 Audi S4 / 2018 Audi S5 Coupe / 2018 Lexus IS350
Appreciate 1
OM3RTA360.50
      12-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
361
Rep
1,007
Posts

Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDS85 View Post
On the 2021 models you can choose if the M brakes are blue or red, thatís the only difference.
Yup! Those in OP's look to be the standard(for the M340) 348mm M Sport's rather than the upgraded 374mm M Perf's.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 03:05 PM   #13
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
361
Rep
1,007
Posts

Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid2021 View Post
Hello I have a new 340 without ZTK. My only complaint with the car are the brakes do not have initial bite or great stopping power.

I am considering m performance brakes as that is the only upgrade I am aware of but I cannot tell if I already have the same size brakes as m performance brakes ?

Need advise the best or most affordable option to upgrade my brakes maybe even different brake pads ?
Of you do decided to upgrade to M Performance breaks just bare in mind that the rears do not change in size at all, only the disk will to a dimpled, slotted and vented one.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 06:12 AM   #14
Doctus
New Member
Czech_Republic
119
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: BMW 3 G20 Verde Mantis
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Czech Republic

iTrader: (0)

It looks like M-sport brakes.

Here are my M-Performance brakes.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 1
OM3RTA360.50
      12-08-2020, 06:22 AM   #15
CCM11285
First Lieutenant
CCM11285's Avatar
280
Rep
365
Posts

Drives: Ď19 BMW 440i
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: New Orleans

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctus View Post
It looks like M-sport brakes.

Here are my M-Performance brakes.
So this is the setup you get from ZTK package?

Your ride looks stunning btw 😁I'm a sucker for green
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 07:54 AM   #16
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Canada
3554
Rep
3,049
Posts

Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM11285 View Post
So this is the setup you get from ZTK package?
Yes, minus the cross drilled and slotting on the rotors (same size rotor and caliper though).
__________________
Current: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback / 2022 Audi Q7
Gone: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback / 2020 BMW M340i / 2019 Audi Q7 / 2019 Audi S5 Sportback / 2019 Audi S4 / 2018 Audi S5 Coupe / 2018 Lexus IS350
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #17
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
2028
Rep
2,331
Posts

Drives: 2021 M340 xdrive w/MPE
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM11285 View Post
So this is the setup you get from ZTK package?
Yes, minus the cross drilled and slotting on the rotors (same size rotor and caliper though).
So to summarize the different pieces of info here for easier consumption given the naming confusion. there are 3 levels of brakes for the m340.
1. M sport level 1: standard m340 brake setup 348mm rotor, caliper available in blue or red
2. m sport level 2: ztk factory upgrade includes flat steel 374mm rotor (front) and larger caliper: available in blue or red
3. M performance brakes: aftermarket bmw performance part, (do not believe these are a port option), includes slotted and cross drilled 374mm rotor (front), slotted and cross drilled rear rotor, and larger front caliper. only available in red?
Appreciate 1
Burrcold3554.00
      12-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #18
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Canada
3554
Rep
3,049
Posts

Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
So to summarize the different pieces of info here for easier consumption given the naming confusion. there are 3 levels of brakes for the m340.
1. M sport level 1: standard m340 brake setup 348mm rotor, caliper available in blue or red
2. m sport level 2: ztk factory upgrade includes flat steel 374mm rotor (front) and larger caliper: available in blue or red
3. M performance brakes: aftermarket bmw performance part, (do not believe these are a port option), includes slotted and cross drilled 374mm rotor (front), slotted and cross drilled rear rotor, and larger front caliper. only available in red?
Exactly! The only difference between number 2 and 3 is the cross drilled/slotted rotors (albeit they are the same size) on the M Performance brakes.
__________________
Current: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback / 2022 Audi Q7
Gone: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback / 2020 BMW M340i / 2019 Audi Q7 / 2019 Audi S5 Sportback / 2019 Audi S4 / 2018 Audi S5 Coupe / 2018 Lexus IS350
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #19
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
361
Rep
1,007
Posts

Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Exactly! The only difference between number 2 and 3 is the cross drilled/slotted rotors (albeit they are the same size) on the M Performance brakes.
Agreed
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #20
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
1973
Rep
2,502
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Are you sure you guys aren't mistaking initial bite for brake performance? A lot of lower end BMW brakes have extremely sharp initial bite but that's not desired behavior for a performance brake. Performance brakes should have even travel and be confident in high speed braking. and also be more tolerant of brake fade.

A good performance brake will seem like they actually stop better at high speeds than at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #21
ultrared93
Private
United_States
60
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: '21 M340ix '93 300zxTT QX30
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: SE Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Are you sure you guys aren't mistaking initial bite for brake performance? A lot of lower end BMW brakes have extremely sharp initial bite but that's not desired behavior for a performance brake. Performance brakes should have even travel and be confident in high speed braking. and also be more tolerant of brake fade.

A good performance brake will seem like they actually stop better at high speeds than at low speeds.
Agree. In addition even, linear brake release is also important to facilitate trail braking. Sometimes just doing a fresh bedding-in of the brakes will bring better performance.

Last edited by ultrared93; 12-10-2020 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: add info
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #22
Antec800
Lieutenant
103
Rep
418
Posts

Drives: 340i x drive
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

I love how the brakes donít have the hard bite at first makes braking more pleasant in stop and go
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST