F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Upgrading from run flats
Extreme Powerhouse

01-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
paulymu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i Xdrive Msport

Its finally time to get a new set of tires. Wanted to do it same time i buy new wheels but don't want to be out here in the winter with bad tires. I'm looking to go away from run flats. I'm looking into getting some ultra high performance all seasons, like Micheline pilot sports as4, continental dws 06, Goodyear eagle exhilarate. Any other recommendations? Anybody have these tires and can you give your experience with them? Especially in the snow.

I have a 2016 340 xdrive
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #2
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Depending on your read conditions, you can't beat the winter tire. Have a think if you really want to go for all seasons. They are not really perfect on snowy roads nor really grippy in summer.
You have enough torque with your B58 to get them over their limit
      01-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #3
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

You are in NJ which means shitty snowy conditions in the winter. If you don't drive in crappy weather, AS are fine. I have AS and I'm not getting into tracking so they work great for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
paulymu
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not at the point where i can have 2 sets of wheels/tires for winter and summer. That's why I'm looking into all seasons, and from reviews i been watching the newer all seasons are making improvements in every category. They still won't be as good as summer tire in summer and winter tires in winter but i'm not tracking my car. The occasional spirited drive here an there and a good amount of snow an rainy days. So all seasons seems worth a shot. The plan is to get to the point if 2 sets of wheels though...soon.
Thanks for the feedback👌🏾
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
whatevs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 328

I live in CT and get a fair amount of snow. I have always used AS (as I never had two sets for summer and winter) and have never had issues. As others have said, you cant beat summer and winter tires on their own, but for normal daily driving, you can get away with AS.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I run all seasons in New Hampshire, where our best winter is like your worst, so don't be concerned, especially with xDrive. The Michelin Cross Climate 2 and Vredestein Quatrac Pro are both highly rated.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #7
paulymu
First Lieutenant
Rep

For those who switched from run flats to regular tires, any issues? Like flats or anything like that? Do you all have tire repair kits and tire pump and stuff like that just in case? Drop some recommendations if you do, looking into some for myself.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 02:07 PM   #8
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulymu View Post
Its finally time to get a new set of tires. Wanted to do it same time i buy new wheels but don't want to be out here in the winter with bad tires. I'm looking to go away from run flats. I'm looking into getting some ultra high performance all seasons, like Micheline pilot sports as4, continental dws 06, Goodyear eagle exhilarate. Any other recommendations? Anybody have these tires and can you give your experience with them? Especially in the snow.

I have a 2016 340 xdrive
Run flats are worth it, as you don't have to stop in the event of a puncture.

So you're spared from sitting on the side of the highway, trucks blowing by you, icy wind across your skin, futzing with a can of slime and a 12v pump.
Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5933.00
Pauloxxi342.00
      01-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you all have tire repair kits and tire pump and stuff like that just in case?
I've got run flats and I have all that stuff. I've fixed two nail punctures so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:

I have a 2016 340 xdrive
What's the primary motivation for getting non run flat tires: road noise? Something else?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 04:03 PM   #11
vtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
What's the primary motivation for getting non run flat tires: road noise? Something else?
run flats tend to ride really harsh, cost more, have less life, and perform worse. Other than that they are great for getting you to your immediate destination without changing a tire.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 04:11 PM   #12
i128
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340iX (6MT) - X3///M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:

I have a 2016 340 xdrive
In no particular order; comfort and less road noises, and performance.

I'd always recommend a summer/winter set, to really maximize performance in the respective seasons, but for what your looking for I'd recommend;

Continental ExtremeContactDWS06
Michelin AS3 +
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 04:55 PM   #13
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtown View Post
run flats tend to ride really harsh, cost more, have less life, and perform worse. Other than that they are great for getting you to your immediate destination without changing a tire.
There is 0.0% difference in wear for run flats, the compounds are the same.

Only trade offs are weight and expense.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 05:49 PM   #14
paulymu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Run flats are a bit more expensive, and i've been told the ride is greatly improved with regular tires. Costco currently has an amazing $150 off a set of 4 Michelins with install through them of course. So i'm going with the Michelin pilot as4. I tried to get tire rack and my local tire store to try match it since they have it in stock and have to wait a week for costco to get it in but they refused to match that offer.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 06:46 PM   #15
les anderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

I was very underwhelmed by the dsw06.

I have read that the as4's are very good- will be interested in hearing your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 12:03 AM   #16
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Run flats are a bit more expensive, and i've been told the ride is greatly improved with regular tires. Costco currently has an amazing $150 off a set of 4 Michelins with install through them of course. So i'm going with the Michelin pilot as4. I tried to get tire rack and my local tire store to try match it since they have it in stock and have to wait a week for costco to get it in but they refused to match that offer.
Run flat tires are indeed more expensive. The advantage of run flat tires comes in a form of ability to limp to the nearest convenient destination.

I think you will like Michelin Pilot AS4 tires. This is probably the best performance oriented AS tire on the market today.

Run flat tires have a stiffer sidewall. Non run flat tires have a softer sidewall. So the handling will change slightly with a softer side wall.

My 2017 440i GC came with OEM Pirelli P Zero run flat summer performance tires which lasted about 22K miles (within the expected duration of how long a summer performance tire typically lasts). I replaced these tires with identical set of Pirelli P Zero run flats. I personally like the way these tires handle - albeit at a higher cost with a higher convenience factor.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 12:15 AM   #17
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I wished I had runflats a few weeks ago. Was in a bad spot so I drove it off the roadway at 0psi for about 40 feet. I was in a bad neighborhood. Had to wait for my daughter to bring me a jack and two wheels/tires. XDrive did not like me changing just one tire.

I have the discontinued Michelin AS3+ For my all season tires and they are great.
My son turns 16 in two years, I will be putting on runflats when I give him the car. Going to flash back to stock too. He doesn’t need bm3.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 02:12 AM   #18
paulymu
First Lieutenant
Rep

So from what i'm seeing, its best to invest in a wheel repair kit and tire inflator before switching from run flats? Already looking into some on Amazon as we speak lol. My run flats caught a flat a few months ago an was able to limp to the nearest tire repair shop but for me, if i had the tools necessary to do what the shop did handy i would have done it myself which is what i would be doing anyway with regular tires plus the added benefit of improved performance, etc...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 07:28 AM   #19
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

It's best to have tire repair gear even with run flats. If you get a puncture and don't drive on it very far you can fix it. Drive on it for even ten miles and the sidewall can be damaged and you'll have to replace it. Even with run flats if I'm driving out of town I toss my compact spare into the trunk.
Appreciate 2
Wgosma810.50
paulymu62.50
      01-03-2021, 07:39 AM   #20
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I run all seasons in New Hampshire, where our best winter is like your worst, so don't be concerned, especially with xDrive. The Michelin Cross Climate 2 and Vredestein Quatrac Pro are both highly rated.
I overlooked the Xdrive :-) I you are relaying on only 2 drive wheels it's a different story
      01-03-2021, 07:44 AM   #21
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It's best to have tire repair gear even with run flats. If you get a puncture and don't drive on it very far you can fix it. Drive on it for even ten miles and the sidewall can be damaged and you'll have to replace it. Even with run flats if I'm driving out of town I toss my compact spare into the trunk.
Just a small remark. If you got the repair kit with the sealing liquid, the tire dealer will hate you. This stuff hardly comes off the wheel an you might have to throw away your valve/tire pressure sensor, once used.
paulymu62.50
      01-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #22
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
So from what i'm seeing, its best to invest in a wheel repair kit and tire inflator before switching from run flats? Already looking into some on Amazon as we speak lol. My run flats caught a flat a few months ago an was able to limp to the nearest tire repair shop but for me, if i had the tools necessary to do what the shop did handy i would have done it myself which is what i would be doing anyway with regular tires plus the added benefit of improved performance, etc...
I keep a tire plug kit and a Slime brand compressor in the trunk just in case.

FWIW, I just mounted the PS 3+ to replace a set of summer tires. NO drop in performance, feel, etc.
Appreciate 1
paulymu62.50