BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2021, 09:24 PM   #1
ffchun
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Apple Car Play

What do you not like about Apple Car Play.........

Last edited by ffchun; 01-31-2021 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: revision
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 09:47 PM   #2
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

What do you mean by ill feelings? Is something not working?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 01:42 AM   #3
viper689
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30e

If you don’t like it, don’t use it? Crazy thought, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 03:51 AM   #4
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Rotten?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 04:01 AM   #5
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New BMW X3

I’d like to use Carplay but refuse to pay the extortion price to enable it..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 08:47 AM   #6
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Love CarPlay and use it all the time in my X3. 🤷🏻

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 11:57 AM   #7
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Apple Car Play is now one of my must-haves.
Appreciate 2
FizzyElf133.00
      02-01-2021, 08:07 AM   #8
Yellowmattei
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi Msport, '20 X3 M40i

I don't like it that my wife's phone won't hook up to the car unless it's been specifically chosen in iDrive. If she's the only one in the car, it should hook up all functions to her phone automatically, and it doesn't do that. She has to go through the communications menu every time she uses the car, and by proxy, so do I when I take the car.

I also don't like it that if anything happens on the phone, it automatically switches to apple car play, including music play back, which is annoying if you're listening to something on the radio.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #9
Joker Eh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowmattei View Post
I don't like it that my wife's phone won't hook up to the car unless it's been specifically chosen in iDrive. If she's the only one in the car, it should hook up all functions to her phone automatically, and it doesn't do that. She has to go through the communications menu every time she uses the car, and by proxy, so do I when I take the car.

I also don't like it that if anything happens on the phone, it automatically switches to apple car play, including music play back, which is annoying if you're listening to something on the radio.
Won't it match to the key being used? Key 1 versus Key 2
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #10
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

The X3 is the first car with Carplay integrated, actually first new car in some time for us.

It was must have, reason being it make life a little simpler, instead of having to learn a new navigation system and the fact we can pick a person or place on our phone from our contracts or a quick search and have Apple Maps or Waze provide direction on a fuller size screen is great. I always hated car companies Nav systems, never saw one I really like so we never bought a car with one. I was always a TomTom user then Waze.

We also subscribe to Apple music and being able to have the same play list we have on the phone and use in the house and not required to use an Audio aux port is great. Especially with the new Iphones not have aux out port anymore.

The down side and this was a feature I was hoping to put to full use, is Homekit. The Homekit feature is not fully baked at this point in Carplay. It only allows for you to open a garage which requires Siri Suggestion enable to work. It does not allow you to have full access to all your Homekit devices via the touch screen. The mere fact I did not have to program the homelink button on the mirror to open the garage was a blessing, it such a pain and take multiply attempt some times to get to program correctly.

However, my garage set up with Homekit has 3 garages, one which is currently disable and the stupid Siri Suggestion for Homekit on Carplay only suggests the disable one. People are complaining about this over at Apple support communities as well as the Homekit garage door opener I am using. This is definitely a short coming with Homekit. People are asking if you can default one garage over another since there is subset of people with more than one garage and Siri is randomly picking one for you to open.

I would like to be able to pull in to my driveway to use Homekit in Carplay to turn lights on and other things if I so desire. Can not do this from ID7 interface.

Just to be clear, the work around is to hold the microphone button on the steering wheel and just say "Hey Siri" open or turn on and it will do as you ask if you remember the correct syntax.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 11:34 AM   #11
Joker Eh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
The X3 is the first car with Carplay integrated, actually first new car in some time for us.

It was must have, reason being it make life a little simpler, instead of having to learn a new navigation system and the fact we can pick a person or place on our phone from our contracts or a quick search and have Apple Maps or Waze provide direction on a fuller size screen is great. I always hated car companies Nav systems, never saw one I really like so we never bought a car with one. I was always a TomTom user then Waze.

We also subscribe to Apple music and being able to have the same play list we have on the phone and use in the house and not required to use an Audio aux port is great. Especially with the new Iphones not have aux out port anymore.

The down side and this was a feature I was hoping to put to full use, is Homekit. The Homekit feature is not fully baked at this point in Carplay. It only allows for you to open a garage which requires Siri Suggestion enable to work. It does not allow you to have full access to all your Homekit devices via the touch screen. The mere fact I did not have to program the homelink button on the mirror to open the garage was a blessing, it such a pain and take multiply attempt some times to get to program correctly.

However, my garage set up with Homekit has 3 garages, one which is currently disable and the stupid Siri Suggestion for Homekit on Carplay only suggests the disable one. People are complaining about this over at Apple support communities as well as the Homekit garage door opener I am using. This is definitely a short coming with Homekit. People are asking if you can default one garage over another since there is subset of people with more than one garage and Siri is randomly picking one for you to open.

I would like to be able to pull in to my driveway to use Homekit in Carplay to turn lights on and other things if I so desire. Can not do this from ID7 interface.

Just to be clear, the work around is to hold the microphone button on the steering wheel and just say "Hey Siri" open or turn on and it will do as you ask if you remember the correct syntax.
Just use the Homekit automations with location services. I have it set up so that when I come home and it is after sunset the outside lights and front foyer lights turn on. I don't open my garage door because I don't park in garage but I am sure you can open it when you get home
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #12
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker Eh View Post
Just use the Homekit automations with location services. I have it set up so that when I come home and it is after sunset the outside lights and front foyer lights turn on. I don't open my garage door because I don't park in garage but I am sure you can open it when you get home

Yes I have some of those setup as well, but they annoy the wife, she does not like it when lights all of the sudden turn on when I pull into the driveway. She thinks someone is in the house.

I done home automation stuff since the 1980's using X10 stuff, and learned a few important lesson in all those years. It has to work in a way that if anyone who walks into your house know how to turn on the lights and two they have to be wife proof.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 03:25 PM   #13
Yellowmattei
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi Msport, '20 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker Eh View Post
Won't it match to the key being used? Key 1 versus Key 2
You would think, wouldn't you? I made sure to add her phone when my phone and keys were nowhere near the car. I've deleted and added both of our phones, and done the same with our accounts. It just won't do it, and I don't mind admitting, it's getting to be a small bone of contention in the house. My 2011 5er never had this problem. Our 2019 Odyssey doesn't have this problem. Why should a newer car not be able to do it? When the car was in for an oil change a couple months ago, I asked them about it. They checked for a problem, and said everything was working the way it should. It really makes me mad, but I can't find a solution.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 11:12 PM   #14
CapricornOne
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I like everything about Carplay but the audio quality, so I don't use it. I only have wireless Carplay on my car unfortunately. So I use either BT or USB and change songs via Apple Watch while phone is tucked away, works pretty well actually.

2017 X1 sDrive28i | White | Mocha | 19" Wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 12:17 AM   #15
magiik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 E82 135i, '21 G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
It has to work in a way that if anyone who walks into your house know how to turn on the lights and two they have to be wife proof.
So true! All of the automation stuff I have follows those 2 rules as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 09:18 PM   #16
ffchun
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Thanks guys for all the replies about Car Play. Its new to me and to have the option of using the IDrive versus Car Play its amazing. thank-you BMW
Appreciate 1
FizzyElf133.00
      02-08-2021, 11:22 PM   #17
CristyM
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I have apple carplay, there are a couple of things that bug me. If I am using maps on my phone, I don't have HUD directions like you do if you use the BMW navigation. Secondly if you missing an incoming message eg whatsapp or text, you don't have a notification on the home page you need to scroll through to the apps on the screen.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 03:46 AM   #18
Ravenous666
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 & 2024 BMW X3

Depends on your headunit. If it's iDrive 6, there is no HUD directions. If it's iDrive 7, you can get it updated to newest software level 11-20 and it will support HUD directions with apple maps via Carplay or Google maps via Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 07:27 PM   #19
mattduvall84
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 G01

Hello, I recently purchased an 2018 x3 and we would like to code to enable full screen carplay. The navigation software version is NBTevo_W20204I . Anyone help would be appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 02:16 AM   #20
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20i M-Sport (G01)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattduvall84 View Post
Hello, I recently purchased an 2018 x3 and we would like to code to enable full screen carplay. The navigation software version is NBTevo_W20204I . Anyone help would be appreciated. Thanks
Search this forum.
You can find a paid coding upgrade for fullscreen.
      02-28-2021, 02:17 AM   #21
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20i M-Sport (G01)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowmattei View Post

Works with our phones just fine.

Both iPhones..
If she takes the car, even with my key, her iPhone will pair including Apple Carplay
      02-28-2021, 04:34 AM   #22
GGEVOX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i, F36 440xi

I may have something screwed up with my 2021 ID7. Whenever my phone connects it uses the internet of the BMW as well. So I cant use my phone online when I am connected. I remember seeing a popup on the screen once about using the cars internet.

Also, my 2018 would have a small little icon in the lower left of the touch screen. I believe it was the CarPlay logo. On the new one its just a button to select Apps, then into CarPlay. extra couple button pushes. Kinda feel like the old setup was a bit easier.

Side note, super hate how the Sat Radio will attempt to "Time Shift" backwards when you loose signal. Using the built in source not streaming. Say I enter the car wash and loose signal the old 2018 would just stop playing and display no signal. New seems to want to jump back in time and play when it last could, thus throwing off timing until I change it again. Weird
Appreciate 0