BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #1
doomie_sf
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xdrive30i

wife's keyfob keeps bringing up my driver profile

Everything worked just fine until this morning: whenever I opened the car with my fob, the seat and everything else would adjust for me. Whenever she drove the car, it would adjust for her.

This morning every time she enters the car, it brings up my driver profile. She changes to her profile -- which doesn't adjust the seats anymore -- then adjusts everything, drives, gets out, locks the car, comes back an hour later and my name still pops up.

What gives? Me and my key have been nowhere near the car.

Is there a way to more permanently tie the profile to the fob used for the future?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

try re-associating each fob with the appropriate profile (after adjusting the seat/mirror, etc) by LOCKING/UNLOCKING the door with the fob.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2021, 02:39 AM   #3
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomie_sf View Post
Everything worked just fine until this morning: whenever I opened the car with my fob, the seat and everything else would adjust for me. Whenever she drove the car, it would adjust for her.

This morning every time she enters the car, it brings up my driver profile. She changes to her profile -- which doesn't adjust the seats anymore -- then adjusts everything, drives, gets out, locks the car, comes back an hour later and my name still pops up.

Is there a way to more permanently tie the profile to the fob used for the future?
First, I would check/change batteries (one may be flat or defective). If the keys are stored next to each and both moved when one being picked up, one key (comfort access) may have a much stronger signal and be being picked up by the car.

If you car has ID7, try if not already done so, setting up a separate connected drive account for each driver/driver profile and and re-associate each key to each profile.

For ID5/6 cars try deleting profile, re-creating profile and re-associating keys to profiles. If this does not solve then you can reset HU (in privacy, deleting personal data resets HU to factory default).

Last edited by MJE60; 02-02-2021 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Avoid confusion between ID7 and ID5/6
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #4
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomie_sf View Post

Try, if not already done so, setting up a separate connected drive account for each driver/driver profile and and re-associate each key to each profile. First, I would check/change batteries (one may be flat or defective). If the keys are stored next to each and both moved when one being picked up, one key (comfort access) may have a much stronger signal and be being picked up by the car.
What does a connected drive account have to do with the iDrive driver profiles associated to the car keys?
      02-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
What does a connected drive account have to do with the iDrive driver profiles associated to the car keys?
Update - to avoid causing confusion to anyone - my vehicle is ID7 and my comments do not apply to G01 with ID5/6. In ID7 the driver profile is now automatically linked to a connected drive account, if you do not have one then it creates one. I amended reply to doomis_sf also.

Well, for a start, having a connected drive account means your settings are saved and you can get in any modern BMW, enter your account and your profile gets put in the car. BMW saves your profile to your connected drive account. My point is that it is well documented that problems with getting cars to load profiles, remember them and keep settings can be improved by creating two connected drive accounts. A car key can be assigned to a driver profile but if multiple profile are saved to only one connected drive account in a car this is where problems can sometimes occur, hence setting up an account for each driver/profile.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-02-2021 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 12:13 PM   #6
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Well, for a start, having a connected drive account means your settings are saved and you can get in any modern BMW, enter your account and your profile gets put in the car. BMW saves your profile to your connected drive account. My point is that it is well documented that problems with getting cars to load profiles, remember them and keep settings can be improved by creating two connected drive accounts. A car key can be assigned to a driver profile but if multiple profile are saved to only one connected drive account in a car this is where problems can sometimes occur, hence setting up an account for each driver/profile.
Maybe it's a ID7 thing, or I didn't learn enough in these 2 years of ownership of my X3 with ID6, but I'm pretty sure there is no correlation between connected drive and iDrive driver profiles. I am not able to manage driver profiles in the connected drive website.
If there is something wrong with key a driver profiles, then recreating that profile (delete/make a new one) in the car and associate it with the desired key fob should be enough I guess. I really don't see how connected drive can be involved in this.
Edit:can you add more connected accounts in iDrive? I have only one (1) connected drive account, and two (2) iDrive profiles. Didn't have a problem during my ownership.
      02-02-2021, 02:00 PM   #7
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Maybe it's a ID7 thing, or I didn't learn enough in these 2 years of ownership of my X3 with ID6, but I'm pretty sure there is no correlation between connected drive and iDrive driver profiles. I am not able to manage driver profiles in the connected drive website.
If there is something wrong with key a driver profiles, then recreating that profile (delete/make a new one) in the car and associate it with the desired key fob should be enough I guess. I really don't see how connected drive can be involved in this.
Edit:can you add more connected accounts in iDrive? I have only one (1) connected drive account, and two (2) iDrive profiles. Didn't have a problem during my ownership.
Perhaps you might read the profiles section in your X3 manual [edit: apologies to totomi who is correct - the link between driver profile and connected drive is in ID7 , not ID5/6].

Last edited by MJE60; 02-02-2021 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 03:24 PM   #8
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps you might read the profiles section in your X3 manual
Would you care and point me where can I found, that driver profiles are tied to connected drive profiles ? Or where on connected drive can I manage the driver profiles from iDrive? I cannot find that. Thanks.
      02-02-2021, 03:36 PM   #9
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Would you care and point me where can I found, that driver profiles are tied to connected drive profiles ? Or where on connected drive can I manage the driver profiles from iDrive? I cannot find that. Thanks.
Here is an extract from the official BMW X3 manual for my car, I did not believe this is restricted to ID7 but it is true that on older iiDrive systems, the only way to save and transfer a profile was via usb, now it is done via connected services.

When you create a connected drive account, you can link a car/s to this account, this allow you to buy connected services and it also saves your drivers profile (using email address as account Id).. If you link another car to your connected drive account or log-in into connected drive in a different car via the iDrive, it downloads your saved profile into the new car. This driver profile back-up between idrive and connected drive appears to help prevent profile settings from being lost in a car (which can happen when two or more profiles are sharing a car), hence the value of each driver opening a connected drive account. In some iDrives it now specifically asks if you to log-in to your connected drive account within profile management (if you do not have one it will create it), otherwise the link is automatic when the car VIN is added to the connected drive account.
Attached Images

Last edited by MJE60; 02-02-2021 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Avoid confusion between ID7 and ID 5/6
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 04:03 PM   #10
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I don't have anything like that in my manual. MY18 X3 G01 with ID6.
      02-02-2021, 04:13 PM   #11
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
I don't have anything like that in my manual. MY18 X3 G01 with ID6.
O.k that is useful to know, I did not realise this was an ID7 only facility, not having had ID6. I knew it was not available in F series cars but incorrectly assumed it was a feature in G series (having seen it in some other new G series).. Apologies for any confusion caused, I will try and update the post/thread to make clearer and avoid crating confusion. Thanks

Last edited by MJE60; 02-02-2021 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0