BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-04-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
M40i21
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M40i (2021)

M40i Clicking/Rattling Noise

I have a 2021 X3 M40i which I purchased in October, and over the past couple of months I have noticed that there is an audible clicking/rattling sound that seems to be coming from somewhere above the driver's seat.

The sound is triggered by running over certain bumps/imperfections in the road, but is otherwise not present when the road is smooth. So, it definitely arises frequently over the course of a normal short drive but isn't constant.

The clicking/rattling sound corresponds with each bump, so it is likely materials making contact with each other over each bump rather than a loose part that continues to rattle for some time after. The sound is more audible the colder the temperature is, both inside and outside of the vehicle. The sound is loud enough to be annoying but not so loud that it overpowers the stereo when it's on.

My initial thought was that it is the pano roof, so I put some very thin foam adhesive strips under where the roof tilts and I applied gummi pfledge on all of the rubber strips. The sound is still present and I don't think that even helped so maybe it is coming from elsewhere in that vicinity rather than that part of the roof.

Has anyone else had this rattle and were you able to locate and correct it? Or do you have any tips on how to try to isolate a rattle like this? Any suggestions would be much appreciated and thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 04:01 PM   #2
Boxer99
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2019 Acura MDX

I have under 1000 miles on my 2021 X3 M40i and have a rattle that is coming from the center vents, or the trim around the center vents. Not sure if yours is the same, but seems like it will be an easy fix when I decide to take it in. I am able to replicate the sound by moving the vents/trim.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:36 AM   #3
M40i21
Registered
Rep

I think I located the source of the clicking sound finally. I believe it's the plastic piece above the SOS call button (see attached picture) that is loose. I can replicate the sound by pushing the piece vertically up and down, which is likely what happens naturally when running over bumps in the road. Does anyone know if this piece can just be pried off with a small screwdriver maybe? I don't want to break the piece but would be great to secure it better to prevent the rattling.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 11:05 AM   #4
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I had a mechanic friend that would fix rattles like this in his old bimmers by taking a small piece of his cigarette carton and wedge it in the space where the rattle is occurring. Likewise, you could probably wedge a small piece of thin cardboard up there to prevent the rattle instead of removing the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #5
M40i21
Registered
Rep

The rattle has now gotten worse over the past couple of weeks and I'm confident it is coming from the pano roof. Does anyone know if this would be covered under the standard warranty if I took it to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 09:12 PM   #6
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by M40i21 View Post
The rattle has now gotten worse over the past couple of weeks and I'm confident it is coming from the pano roof. Does anyone know if this would be covered under the standard warranty if I took it to the dealer?
I expect it would be, given your vehicle isn't even a year old. I had similar things addressed even 3 years in
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:41 PM   #7
3lucidus
Eat Sleep Trance
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

pretty sure one of the bmw tech's who is on here has the same issue and was looking for other folks with the same issue... maybe search for roof
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:55 AM   #8
MX330I
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 G01 X3 30i  [0.00]
Had the same noise, lowered the roof console and noticed there is some play between plastic parts inside. Put a piece of rubber between those parts, and it fixed the rattle. It's very easy to remove it, someone had instructions on this forum. Then use your hands and press around the area to see where the noise is coming from.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:06 AM   #9
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M40i21 View Post
I think I located the source of the clicking sound finally. I believe it's the plastic piece above the SOS call button (see attached picture) that is loose. I can replicate the sound by pushing the piece vertically up and down, which is likely what happens naturally when running over bumps in the road. Does anyone know if this piece can just be pried off with a small screwdriver maybe? I don't want to break the piece but would be great to secure it better to prevent the rattling.
Yes, just pry with a trim tool or screwdriver and it will pop out.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 03:44 AM   #10
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

If it IS the SOS light cluster then you'll have fun, it is NOT merely that plastic piece that prizes out. If you remove that (I think prize it out from bottom) leave it aside for a few days (don't lose it ;-). Again IF it is that cluster you have more issues. To rule it out (and then focus on perhaps the roof) apply pressure to the cluster as you're driving, if the noise goes away you can go onto stage 2 ;-)

That means removing the cluster - for which you;ll need a small hex driver. There is a detailed thread here:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...6#post26653966

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...php?p=24457019 (shows removal.- be careful with this don't force it. It EASILY comes out if you apply appropriate pressure to the metal holders shown on photo). Then it will angle down from the front and you can remove it by bringing slightly forward (towards rear of vehicle). NOTE also (IMPORTANT) to remove the 4 ribbon connectors don't simply try to prize them out - they have a TEENY release clip).

I'd had mine changed under warranty but it still creaked so decided to take it off myself. I used a small amount of lubricant (careful - there are expensive electronics in there) to try to remediate.

NET NET. It was creak free for a couple of weeks then the fucking noise came back. I haven't had the energy to remove and retry yet.

Good luck - let us know if you're brave enough to try - success/fail.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 03:48 AM   #11
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Oops - forgot to mention, when I did remove the entire unit I also removed the backplate to apply lubricant. For this you'll need an even smaller hex driver (if you're doing this buy something like this: Draper 09550 31 Piece Precision Screwdriver Set torx,hex slot,cross,triangle

Best thing I ever bought for taking shit apart.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #12
comber
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4 M40i

I've had a similar problem for the last 2 weeks, but in the rear part of the car. After much searching, I have discovered today that one of the Harman Kardon tweeters located in the trunk section was detached (see video below).

I have gone to dealer and they have solved the problem in some minutes, nothing was broken so they said that most probably was a factory bad installation.

https://youtu.be/pcA-qB9cHE0
Appreciate 0