BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
D69GMB
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Faulty door mirrors.

March 2019 M40d ( uk ).
Having issues with the drivers and passengers side door mirrors not opening randomly. Normally it is the drivers side that won’t open on the first click of the key fob but if you lock the car then unlock it sometimes works, also the passenger side is starting to play up.
Car booked in for 23rd February, was wondering if anyone else had any issues.
Have video evidence to hopefully discourage the old ( we couldn’t find any fault) line.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 01:07 PM   #2
ANM8
ANM8
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

My passenger door mirror has been sticking halfway when locking the doors, it doesn't seem to take much to stop it closing, I gave it a good clean in between the joints with my jet wash, it seems fine now, I was thinking it was just dirt and debri from the winter roads, I was going to mention it at my next visit to the dealer if it happens again.
Appreciate 1
D69GMB474.50
      02-16-2021, 01:35 PM   #3
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw X3 xdrive30i

Garage List
My passenger side mirror wont fold out sometimes. Typically when sitting for a day. I believe it could be the cold weather but I always park in my insulated garage. My car is actually getting service right now and my SA said they’ll try to diagnose it but it’s intermittent. Its also in service for suspension noise in the front end and my normal service. Weird problems for only having under 20k miles. Just try to push the dealer with the issue especially if you’re like me trying to find anything for them to warranty before your warranty expires. The dealer is also replacing my rear window trim that faded all under warranty
Appreciate 1
D69GMB474.50
      02-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #4
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex the crazy g01 owner View Post
My passenger side mirror wont fold out sometimes. Typically when sitting for a day. I believe it could be the cold weather but I always park in my insulated garage. My car is actually getting service right now and my SA said they’ll try to diagnose it but it’s intermittent. Its also in service for suspension noise in the front end and my normal service. Weird problems for only having under 20k miles. Just try to push the dealer with the issue especially if you’re like me trying to find anything for them to warranty before your warranty expires. The dealer is also replacing my rear window trim that faded all under warranty
In your case, are you sometimes too close to the wall of the garage when it won't open? Wondering if it is sensing being too close to the wall and isn't opening to prevent damage to the mirror?

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 08:38 PM   #5
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw X3 xdrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
In your case, are you sometimes too close to the wall of the garage when it won't open? Wondering if it is sensing being too close to the wall and isn't opening to prevent damage to the mirror?
Nope. I park in the middle of my 2car garage. I also dont believe theres a sensor like that, it would cost too much. I got the car back from the dealer and there isnt a TSB yet for the mirrors. Maybe since others are having the same issue it will soon become known to bmw and maybe a fix. I hope something can be done before my warranty is up at the end of this year.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019306.00