BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
dvm_386
Rep
Drives: 2022 AMG GLC43 ; 2023 X1 X28i

*DO NOT USE RAIN-X De-ICER in your X3*

Hello all. Have had my 2020 X3 x30i for 6 months now. The car saw its first winter this year. Used RAIN-X De-icer as a washer fluid, from past experience, however it damaged the washer reservoir sensor on my X3. I know the manual recommends NOT to use any washer fluids with silicon additives, but the RAIN-X bottle does NOT mention it contains SIlicon in any way.

TL;DR - had to get the reservoir drained and sensor replaced. Costed $375+tax (Canadian Dollars). The issue wasn't covered under warranty.

Just a cautionary tale for all you guys. Lesson learnt the hard way I guess. Stay safe all !
Appreciate 3
kevinkay271.50
focker155.00
      02-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #2
polo2883
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvm_386 View Post
Hello all. Have had my 2020 X3 x30i for 6 months now. The car saw its first winter this year. Used RAIN-X De-icer as a washer fluid, from past experience, however it damaged the washer reservoir sensor on my X3. I know the manual recommends NOT to use any washer fluids with silicon additives, but the RAIN-X bottle does NOT mention it contains SIlicon in any way.

TL;DR - had to get the reservoir drained and sensor replaced. Costed $375+tax (Canadian Dollars). The issue wasn't covered under warranty.

Just a cautionary tale for all you guys. Lesson learnt the hard way I guess. Stay safe all !
I had this happen on a Grand Cherokee we owned. Using Rain-X, the sensor who out report it had fluids correctly. Once we went back to the generic blue stuff everything was fine. Since then I have only used the regular blue washer fluids in all our vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
Bob in IL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvm_386 View Post

This is a good reminder about Rain X. When I had my A6 and Q5 there were a lot of reports on Audi owner forums about Rain X damaging reservoirs.
      02-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #4
NoMoreVauxhalls
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M Sport

My son did this on his 1 Series about three years ago. Cant remember the brand, but he bought ready mixed washer fluid from our local Halfords. It somehow gummed up the pipes and washer system, and when he took it to BMW they said to only use their recommended washer fluid. Cost him a couple hundred quid to repair from what I recall.
Appreciate 1
dvm_38624.50
      02-19-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
ANM8
ANM8
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

I don't know what it is about BMW screenwash systems but they seem to be the most delicate of any car I've ever owned, Ive only ever used BMW screenwash since I bought the car (because I'd read many stories of the consequences of not using BMW concentrate) yet its gummed up and had to be drained and cleaned out 2 times, every other car I've had I used whatever concentrate I could get hold of and never had a problem.?
There must be some sort of design fault, maybe the size of the tank is a problem and the solution gets stale, it's twice the capacity of any other car I've had..? All I do know though its bloody annoying..
Appreciate 1
dvm_38624.50
      02-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #6
foglem
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i; Porsche Macan

I've seen rain-x kill sensors in my Audi Q7 and Toyota Highlander also. I swore by the stuff in the 1990's but today it's just not compatible with the sensors used. Choose, no dash lights or no visibility.
Appreciate 1
dvm_38624.50
      02-19-2021, 04:33 PM   #7
Kinsella
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i 2021

I had never heard of this issue before. Thanks all.
Appreciate 1
dvm_38624.50
      02-19-2021, 04:52 PM   #8
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

For years I used Audi screen wash in previous cars and since I had my last 2 cars, 530D and now a M40D I have used BMW screen wash

I do find it works really well especially the winter mix in really cold weather, and so I can stand and argue against any damage, I was warned of 5 series owners having their headlamp washers actually blow off and getting lost and BMW refusing warranty
Appreciate 1
dvm_38624.50
      02-19-2021, 10:58 PM   #9
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw X3 xdrive30i

Garage List
Ive already went through a few gallons of rain x all season washer fluid. No issues here, been using this stuff for years now even in my last vehicle.
Appreciate 3
      02-20-2021, 06:09 AM   #10
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Thanks for making me go down the Google rabbit hole on this one.

Been using the orange rainx deicer and all season windshield wash for years in all my cars, including the M3 and X3. Their MSDS just shows Methyl Alchohol. Only difference is that the deicer stuff has a higher concentration. Their green bug remover wash does have some silicone however.

There are some windshield washer fluids out there that have antifreeze, the yellow Prestone windshield deicer coming to mind. This stuff does have some silicone in it but in very low concentrations.

The genuine BMW stuff can be had with or without antifreeze. Both types are mostly methyl alchohol but some contain detergents and fragrance. One of the versions has citric acid. My guess is that since bmw sells concentrated wash and expects that some people will use tap water, they add extra stuff in there to prevent mineral build up from hard water.

Since a lot of people were having issues with the rainx stuff, they possibly had contaminated water or water that had a high TDS. Then again it could all just be a coincidence but because the stuff was orange, BMW can point the finger and say it was due to that. Any other time with the blue stuff, generic or BMW, the repair was done under warranty and the customer would less likely go on the forums and complain about it. Would be interesting to see how many forum members had washer failures while using genuine BMW fluid. There's one on this thread already.

Last edited by AlmondJayRoM3; 02-20-2021 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
dvm_38624.50
      02-20-2021, 07:41 AM   #11
ANM8
ANM8
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

There are many threads on BMW screenwasher systems gumming up and yes plenty with people only using BMW's own screenwash, I really think its down to the design of the tank, very very deep and thin with an extremely large capacity in the side of a hot engine bay, it must help all the algae and other nasties grow.
My system has never gummed up in the winter, only the hot summer...just my thoughts..!!!
Appreciate 1
dvm_38624.50
      02-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #12
dvm_386
Rep
Drives: 2022 AMG GLC43 ; 2023 X1 X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondJayRoM3 View Post

Been using the orange rainx deicer and all season windshield wash for years in all my cars, including the M3 and X3. Their MSDS just shows Methyl Alchohol. Only difference is that the deicer stuff has a higher concentration. Their green bug remover wash does have some silicone however.

There are some windshield washer fluids out there that have antifreeze, the yellow Prestone windshield deicer coming to mind. This stuff does have some silicone in it but in very low concentrations.

The genuine BMW stuff can be had with or without antifreeze. Both types are mostly methyl alchohol but some contain detergents and fragrance. One of the versions has citric acid. My guess is that since bmw sells concentrated wash and expects that some people will use tap water, they add extra stuff in there to prevent mineral build up from hard water.

Since a lot of people were having issues with the rainx stuff, they possibly had contaminated water or water that had a high TDS. Then again it could all just be a coincidence but because the stuff was orange, BMW can point the finger and say it was due to that. Any other time with the blue stuff, generic or BMW, the repair was done under warranty and the customer would less likely go on the forums and complain about it. Would be interesting to see how many forum members had washer failures while using genuine BMW fluid. There's one on this thread already.
Great write-up and thanks for the research. I personally had been using Rain-X for years in multiple different past vehicles (Audi, Ford, Subaru) and have never had issues. Which was why it was quite shocking when this happened in my X3. Obviously I would like to avoid this happening again, so have been looking to specifically find brands that surely do NOT contain any kind of silicon/silicon additives. Not having much luck so far. Here in Canada, our options are limited to begin with. Not to mention, the dealership was absolutely useless in suggesting alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 09:36 AM   #13
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

The BMW concentrate can be had off eBay from various sellers and various prices. I've also heard that the "cheapest blue stuff" also works well with zero silicon in it.....lol, it's too expensive to add in the cheap stuff.

I personally use the BMW brand concentrate because it appears to be soapy when sprayed and does a good job, summer and winter.
Appreciate 2
dvm_38624.50
Wgosma810.50
      02-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #14
Dilbert2402
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30e

I've been using the yellow Prestone for the past few years in 2 different BMW's and had no problems whatsoever, not sure if the orange or green mixes have a higher silicon content.
Appreciate 1
dvm_38624.50
      02-20-2021, 01:34 PM   #15
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

I use BMW's purple grape juice. Always free. I still have two full jugs remaining.

Attachment 2533359

Last edited by Lady Jane; 01-06-2022 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
dvm_38624.50
      02-27-2021, 02:35 PM   #16
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
I use BMW's purple grape juice. Always free. I still have two full jugs remaining.

Attachment 2533359
Free in Canada?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 02:48 PM   #17
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
Free in Canada?
When I drive-by the dealership on my way to the hospital, I stop by and ask to top-up my reservoir because in the Winter, I don't want to dirty my uniform with road salt and slush. And they always leave a jug in the trunk. Maybe it's part of my service contract or because I'm so cute.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 02:18 AM   #18
dreamerM40i
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
Free in Canada?
When I drive-by the dealership on my way to the hospital, I stop by and ask to top-up my reservoir because in the Winter, I don't want to dirty my uniform with road salt and slush. And they always leave a jug in the trunk. Maybe it's part of my service contract or because I'm so cute.
Where in Canada are you from? Which dealer is this?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 11:26 AM   #19
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:

Quote:

I think it would be clear to explicitly warn people that if you are using the BMW concentrated windshield washer (that can be had with or without antifreeze), to use DISTILLED water and not tap water as specified (and the fact that tap water, depending on region, might have high concentration of mineral.

Someone please add the ratio of windshield washer liquid to distilled water. I forget and can't check as I'm traveling.

Not everyone is cute as a pie and gets freebies from their dealership! So for the majority of us, rely more on brain and common sense lol
Appreciate 1
FizzyElf133.00
      02-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #20
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

You don't need to use distilled water, this is another myth the same as you should use distilled water in the coolant system. The minerals make no odds as you aren't boiling the water off and leaving them behind.

Personally I have used Autoglym screenwash. It isn't very expensive for 5l of concentrate, you can make it stronger in the winter so it doesn't freeze and more importantly it never leaves the screen smeary after the wiper has wiped.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #21
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
I've used a lot of different washer solutions - but never Rain-X and have never had a problem. Now I have my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #22
FizzyElf
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X30e on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
You don't need to use distilled water, this is another myth the same as you should use distilled water in the coolant system. The minerals make no odds as you aren't boiling the water off and leaving them behind.

Personally I have used Autoglym screenwash. It isn't very expensive for 5l of concentrate, you can make it stronger in the winter so it doesn't freeze and more importantly it never leaves the screen smeary after the wiper has wiped.
Many parts of the world, including the Western US have very hard water. In these locations I'd highly recommend using distilled water. Over time the minerals can build up in your lines, motors and sensors.

If you're in an area with good quality water, this is less of a concern. However, the Chlorine dioxide used to treat most municipal water can cause many plastics to become brittle over time.

Often times during processing antioxidants are introduced into many polyolefins (plastics), the Chlorine dioxide degrades these pretty quickly.

So the bottom line, if you plan on keeping your car, use distilled water if you're using concentrated washer fluid.

I'm not sure $20 spread across many years is too terrible of a thing to not have to deal with windscreen washer system problems. Or you can buy BMW brand fluid pre-mixed for $5.50 a gallon here. The concentrate is $3.71.

Seems like a no-brainer just to do it right.

Last edited by FizzyElf; 02-28-2021 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: clarified chlorine used.
Appreciate 2
Alias1431798.00
dvm_38624.50