BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-24-2021, 11:14 AM   #1
Tony Shep
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 G02

Audio question

Hi,

My first post on here, "Hello"
I recently took delivery of a 2020 G02
This has the U.K. base audio system, couldn't find what I wanted with HK fitted.
I've read a lot of threads on audio upgrades on this forum, picked up some good info, but have a few questions
I'm planning on upgrading the subs along with the front door speakers (with additional tweeters)
My base system has no amp, if it had an amp in the rear of the car, then upgrade would be relatively simple. As there is no amp, I'm unsure where the wiring for the audio is routed, is there a resource that will show that or can somebody tell me if the audio wiring runs through the rear of the car?

I'm really pleased with the car, but I came from a 2008 Ford mondeo, so tat really is "night and day"

Many thanks
Tony
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:25 PM   #2
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shep View Post
Hi,

My first post on here, "Hello"
I recently took delivery of a 2020 G02
This has the U.K. base audio system, couldn't find what I wanted with HK fitted.
I've read a lot of threads on audio upgrades on this forum, picked up some good info, but have a few questions
I'm planning on upgrading the subs along with the front door speakers (with additional tweeters)
My base system has no amp, if it had an amp in the rear of the car, then upgrade would be relatively simple. As there is no amp, I'm unsure where the wiring for the audio is routed, is there a resource that will show that or can somebody tell me if the audio wiring runs through the rear of the car?

I'm really pleased with the car, but I came from a 2008 Ford mondeo, so tat really is "night and day"

Many thanks
Tony
You can upgrade the speakers and subs super easily with the bimmer tech ones abs they are an excellent improvement ( did it myself last month ). No need to run any cables for that, but you will need the HK tweeter covers. Whole process takes under 3 hours
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Hello. Welcome. Bavsound also has a good setup and easy install options you can check them out.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
Hello. Welcome. Bavsound also has a good setup and easy install options you can check them out.
They don't deliver to the UK currently ( I checked before ordering from bimmer tech )
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 02:56 AM   #5
Tony Shep
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the replies
I was initially looking at what was available in the U.K.
Most audio installers, with a good rep', go with either audison or Focal. JL audio amps seem to be a popular option

I can do the speakers, not a problem, just looking for more info on wiring location to see what's involved in fitting an amp

Thanks
Tony
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 03:46 AM   #6
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

I agree with the JL/ focal plan, I would use both those in mine and I have the HK, which is in the dealer today having the amp looked at !

Quite disappointed in the HK, one because of the fault and two because they have downgraded the amp but still sell it as a 600w HK system, its not its 484w, and to be honest I feel its now underpowered.

Even when fixed I plan to look at a JL active sub, they have several that fit under the floor in the boot.

If I was in your position I would simply change to front components mid/tweeter, probably to focal, rears if you want but a co-axal not component they cheaper/simpler but just as effective in that position, I would listen to that first, then add something like the active JL sub (this will make the biggest single difference) then listen again then finally consider adding an amp for the component speakers if you want more.

People spend a fortune upgrading the underseat speakers but no matter who makes them they dont make bass like a dedicated sub, they are compromised by position/power, they are good at mid bass but if you want to appreciate a uplift the a sub is the only way. (have done this in 3 series and thought to myself thats better, then added a sub and went ok thats what bass is ! )

There is a few people that make plug and play harnesses to add amps to all systems ( https://technicpnp.com seems to be the most recommended. its all diy possible even the battery being in the boot makes powering amps simple.

I would do it in stages because you can, you don't have to do it all at once, and stop when you like it.

I found once in a 3 coupe that I upgraded the fronts to alpine units ( no amp) and a small jl sub, it sounded lovely and didn't feel the need to spend more on it,
Appreciate 1
Ldb2511.50
      03-01-2021, 05:38 AM   #7
Tony Shep
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the info!
That is the plan, replace the front door speakers with components and see how it sounds
Checked that link along with info on the audison website. With base system, I found a harness is needed to run from the front to rear of the car and back again to add an amp.
So a lot more involved to add an amp!
Front components along with soundproofing in the door will be the first stage
Thanks
Tony
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #8
Rottley
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 40i

2021 x3 40i. Purchased off lot with base hifi(USA).
Last week had a jl audio 10 inch sub(w3) box and amp installed in cargo area.
100% pleased
Appreciate 1
plagm120.00
      03-01-2021, 06:55 PM   #9
stepal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I recently had the Audison amp, speakers and sub installed. No wires were run from the front, and no harness used. They spliced the amp into the speaker wires right next to the RAM unit in the back. Amazing difference in sound!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 06:26 AM   #10
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottley View Post
2021 x3 40i. Purchased off lot with base hifi(USA).
Last week had a jl audio 10 inch sub(w3) box and amp installed in cargo area.
100% pleased
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepal View Post
I recently had the Audison amp, speakers and sub installed. No wires were run from the front, and no harness used. They spliced the amp into the speaker wires right next to the RAM unit in the back. Amazing difference in sound!
Is this because in the US you get what we (in the uk this is a mid option) call the BMW advanced set up as base ? using the Ram to power speakers, (i think the sign is tweeters in the front mirrors)

The base in the UK is driven from the head unit, Just mid driver in each door and two under-seat woofers, no tweeters, I don't think cabling it ever gets to the rear as i don't think there is a RAM module. Hence the need for a harness,

Just an educated guess.........or to put another way navigating the BMW minefield of different specs.....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #11
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

You wouldn't need to run an amp to the back if you didn't want to. There are multiple very small form factor class d amps available nowadays that you could mount under seat or near the firewall. Not sure if that helps in terms of perceived work load of adding an amp.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #12
stepal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plagm View Post
Is this because in the US you get what we (in the uk this is a mid option) call the BMW advanced set up as base ? using the Ram to power speakers, (i think the sign is tweeters in the front mirrors)

The base in the UK is driven from the head unit, Just mid driver in each door and two under-seat woofers, no tweeters, I don't think cabling it ever gets to the rear as i don't think there is a RAM module. Hence the need for a harness,

Just an educated guess.........or to put another way navigating the BMW minefield of different specs.....
Your supposition sounds correct. I have the RAM and front door tweeters. Best of luck with a solution, it will be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 08:25 PM   #13
Ldb25
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3e

Quote:
Can you share where you had the install done (if it wasn't DIY)? I can't find anyone in the DC area but I must not be looking in the right place.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 08:06 AM   #14
stepal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldb25 View Post
Can you share where you had the install done (if it wasn't DIY)? I can't find anyone in the DC area but I must not be looking in the right place.
I agree, it is not easy to find a place, and then to find a really good place. I am in MA. I went to some installer websites of places with 30-45 minutes of my home that installed either Focal or Audison equipment. I used their contact pages to inquire. I think I sent 5 inquiries but I only heard back from one of them, which I found very odd. Do they not need or want business?

The one that I did hear back from called the same evening and was great to talk to. We talked for quite a while and he was super helpful. Unfortunately, when he asked about my budget, he replied that he only does fully custom installs > $10K. But he told me what to look for sound, part and installer-wise, and then he asked who I had contacted. As I rattled off the company names, he was like "pass on them", "no, stay away" and so on. Then he asked where I was located, he said he knew two guys who would do a great job on a BMW and he would trust them with his cars. He went online and got me their phone numbers during our call.

Note that all of this conversation and help was AFTER he told me he wouldn't work on my car. I thought that was awesome of him.

One guy was an hour north of me who installs Audison, the other guy an hour west who installs Focal. I called them both, both were very helpful to talk to, and they clearly were very knowledgeable about their products and especially BMWs. Each sent me quotes, which were similar in price but different in scope (Focal = amp and all speakers, Audison = amp, front and under seat speakers, and sub.

So it takes some effort, more than I ever expected, but in the end the installer was great and the result was worth it. And I was lucky to have the help of the guy who wouldn't install in my X3!
Appreciate 1
Ldb2511.50
      03-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #15
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Yeah, I gotta say, sounds like an awesome guy to be so helpful for free. Exactly the kind of small business that should get support.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 08:26 PM   #16
Ldb25
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldb25 View Post
I agree, it is not easy to find a place, and then to find a really good place. I am in MA. I went to some installer websites of places with 30-45 minutes of my home that installed either Focal or Audison equipment. I used their contact pages to inquire. I think I sent 5 inquiries but I only heard back from one of them, which I found very odd. Do they not need or want business?

The one that I did hear back from called the same evening and was great to talk to. We talked for quite a while and he was super helpful. Unfortunately, when he asked about my budget, he replied that he only does fully custom installs > $10K. But he told me what to look for sound, part and installer-wise, and then he asked who I had contacted. As I rattled off the company names, he was like "pass on them", "no, stay away" and so on. Then he asked where I was located, he said he knew two guys who would do a great job on a BMW and he would trust them with his cars. He went online and got me their phone numbers during our call.

Note that all of this conversation and help was AFTER he told me he wouldn't work on my car. I thought that was awesome of him.

One guy was an hour north of me who installs Audison, the other guy an hour west who installs Focal. I called them both, both were very helpful to talk to, and they clearly were very knowledgeable about their products and especially BMWs. Each sent me quotes, which were similar in price but different in scope (Focal = amp and all speakers, Audison = amp, front and under seat speakers, and sub.

So it takes some effort, more than I ever expected, but in the end the installer was great and the result was worth it. And I was lucky to have the help of the guy who wouldn't install in my X3!
Thanks for that, and good to hear you had that great referral help. I'll look again for some focal and Audison dealers and start writing or calling. I can't believe with all the BMWs and money around DC that we don't have a few good shops.
Appreciate 0