Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Technology Pack or Technology Plus Pack?

03-13-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Technology Pack or Technology Plus Pack?

I am considering a new G22 coupe and would be very interested in the views and opinions of other forum members with regard to the benefits, or drawbacks, of the Technology versus the Technology Plus Packages available to spec on a new build. I am undecided which one to go for and wonder what others think?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 04:41 PM   #2
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
I am considering a new G22 coupe and would be very interested in the views and opinions of other forum members with regard to the benefits, or drawbacks, of the Technology versus the Technology Plus Packages available to spec on a new build. I am undecided which one to go for and wonder what others think?
The additional options in the tech plus pack are:
1) Drive recorder
- this used to be a free download. Not sure if you can download anyway? It’s really an entry level dashcam. Quality is okay but lacks key features such as parking mode. I have it but looking to get a dashcam on top.
2) WiFi Hotspot
- Great solution ruined by a crappy partnership with T-mobile. After your first 3 months free, you have to pay GBP 9.99 p/m for 1GB of data. Yes, in the year 2021, they want a tenner for 1GB
3) Driving Assistance Professional
- This is fantastic. This gives you all the assisted driving tech which makes long journeys effortless IMHO.
4) Parking Assistant Plus
- Gives you the 360 cameras etc

If you can negotiate a good deal, I would definitely go for the plus pack for the Driving Assistance Pro alone. If you are considering doing coding, you have the option to add Lane Change Assistance and Traffic Light Assistance.
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
arcticnick
Rep
Drives: E91 335i (now sold)

I just picked the bits I wanted from the tech pack - HK audio and park assistance plus (for 360 cameras).

Packs are good value of you want EVERYTHING in them, not so good otherwise (IMHO).
Appreciate 1
bmnut803.00
      03-13-2021, 05:00 PM   #4
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
The additional options in the tech plus pack are:
1) Drive recorder
- this used to be a free download. Not sure if you can download anyway? It’s really an entry level dashcam. Quality is okay but lacks key features such as parking mode. I have it but looking to get a dashcam on top.
2) WiFi Hotspot
- Great solution ruined by a crappy partnership with T-mobile. After your first 3 months free, you have to pay GBP 9.99 p/m for 1GB of data. Yes, in the year 2021, they want a tenner for 1GB
3) Driving Assistance Professional
- This is fantastic. This gives you all the assisted driving tech which makes long journeys effortless IMHO.
4) Parking Assistant Plus
- Gives you the 360 cameras etc

If you can negotiate a good deal, I would definitely go for the plus pack for the Driving Assistance Pro alone. If you are considering doing coding, you have the option to add Lane Change Assistance and Traffic Light Assistance.
Thank you for your comments based on your personal experience they are very much appreciated!
Drive Recorder doesn't interest me for the same reason you have stated, likewise WiFi Hotspot, I've got that now and never used it in nearly four years of ownership!
Driving Assistance Professional?...Hmm?..I'm intrigued by your findings, what are the benefits you have found?
Parking Assistant Plus, likewise have you found that to be beneficial?
As for coding, to be honest it terrifies me in case I 'bricked' anything!
I don't have anywhere near that level of knowledge or understanding to even attempt it!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 05:03 PM   #5
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticnick View Post
I just picked the bits I wanted from the tech pack - HK audio and park assistance plus (for 360 cameras).

Packs are good value of you want EVERYTHING in them, not so good otherwise (IMHO).
I like your thinking!
I'm inclined to be of the same opinion. The F32 I've just sold was quite highly specced so I've used that as a bit of a benchmark when looking at the options for a new order. Thanks for your opinion, it's valued!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 12:50 AM   #6
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I wanted DAP and PAP, and it was cheaper to get the plus pack than getting standard Technology and adding them individually.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:58 AM   #7
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

I agree with the others DAP and PAP are excellent features. DR is OK, but more of an insurance tool. Wifi hotspot is overpriced and unlikely to be used. Better to setup tethering on your own phone.

One other consideration is resale. The Tech plus pack may have a higher resale value if it's included as a model item in Glasses guide etc. Just makes it a bit easier to get some of the value back compared to individual options. At least that's what i always tell myself to justify getting a few more toys
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 02:25 PM   #8
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
I wanted DAP and PAP, and it was cheaper to get the plus pack than getting standard Technology and adding them individually.
I know what you mean and that makes perfect sense. I can't make my mind up whether or not I actually want DAP and PAP that's the problem I'm having.
Can I ask what benefits do you feel you get from having both of them?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 02:27 PM   #9
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
I agree with the others DAP and PAP are excellent features. DR is OK, but more of an insurance tool. Wifi hotspot is overpriced and unlikely to be used. Better to setup tethering on your own phone.

One other consideration is resale. The Tech plus pack may have a higher resale value if it's included as a model item in Glasses guide etc. Just makes it a bit easier to get some of the value back compared to individual options. At least that's what i always tell myself to justify getting a few more toys
Quite a number of people on here appear to really like DAP and PAP. May I ask how do you find them beneficial in real world driving conditions?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #10
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post

I appreciate your comments regarding future resale value but my thoughts at this moment in time are towards keeping this one probably longer than any previous ones because I have a horrible feeling that glorious straight six petrol engine could be on its 'last lap' what with the hybrid technology progressing as it is and electric vehicles increasing their market share, etc. Even the M440i X-drive is classed as 'mild hybrid' technology for pity's sake!
Bearing that in mind I want to ensure I still have the opportunity to own if a straight six if I choose to!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #11
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quite a number of people on here appear to really like DAP and PAP. May I ask how do you find them beneficial in real world driving conditions?
PAP - I occasionally use the automated parking, but the 360 degree / top down view makes parking really easy. Being able to do the remote 3D view from the app can also be good when you want to check in on the car.
DAP - This is a must have for me. I’ve had the adaptive cruise control on my cars since 2011 and wouldn’t want one without it. If I’m on an empty A or B road, I’ll stick the car in Sport and have fun with it, but when you’re driving in busy traffic, be it urban or motorway, there’s little fun to be had and the car can pretty much drive itself. It just makes the journey more relaxing. Key points:
- Will obviously control the distance to the car in front
- Will adapt to the speed limit. Occasionally it gets it wrong but pretty rare for me. You can also set the offset from the speed limit. I set mine to add 2mph to the speed limit up to 40mph and above that it will add 4mph so you’re not annoying the people behind too much!
- Lane keeping is good on well marked roads. I use it as an assist to make it more relaxing but over 40mph it will steer for about 20 sec before prompting you to hold the wheel. Under 40mph in traffic jam assist i think I’ve got up to about a minute. Just loosely holding the wheel is enough for it to keep steering. You can choose whether you want just the active cruise control or both
- It will also slow down for roundabouts, sharp bends or depending on what the satnav is telling it. Not sure if it’s part of DAP, but you also get warnings about dangerous bends even when not enabled.
- If you’re considering coding, you can also add these:
- Lane Change Assistant - on dual carriageway, you can change lanes by just using the indicator and the car will check the lane is clear and steer into it.
- Traffic Light Assistant - car will read identify red lights and bring the car to a stop, or, it there’s several lights, flag there’s a red which you can accept by using the SET button on the steering wheel. When the light goes green, it can pull away or beep to let you know you’re sat at a green light!

There’s also a load of safety systems lumped in with this that I’ve not had the chance to use fortunately!

Also think this works best if you have the HUD / Tech pack.

I think you can guess I’m a fan of it
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #12
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340

I went for the Tech pack and added the Parking Assistant plus too. I didn’t want the DAP stuff and am slightly alarmed that things like Lane change warning and Collision alerts seem to be standard and have to be turned off before each journey.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:06 PM   #13
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
PAP - I occasionally use the automated parking, but the 360 degree / top down view makes parking really easy. Being able to do the remote 3D view from the app can also be good when you want to check in on the car.
DAP - This is a must have for me. I’ve had the adaptive cruise control on my cars since 2011 and wouldn’t want one without it. If I’m on an empty A or B road, I’ll stick the car in Sport and have fun with it, but when you’re driving in busy traffic, be it urban or motorway, there’s little fun to be had and the car can pretty much drive itself. It just makes the journey more relaxing. Key points:
- Will obviously control the distance to the car in front
- Will adapt to the speed limit. Occasionally it gets it wrong but pretty rare for me. You can also set the offset from the speed limit. I set mine to add 2mph to the speed limit up to 40mph and above that it will add 4mph so you’re not annoying the people behind too much!
- Lane keeping is good on well marked roads. I use it as an assist to make it more relaxing but over 40mph it will steer for about 20 sec before prompting you to hold the wheel. Under 40mph in traffic jam assist i think I’ve got up to about a minute. Just loosely holding the wheel is enough for it to keep steering. You can choose whether you want just the active cruise control or both
- It will also slow down for roundabouts, sharp bends or depending on what the satnav is telling it. Not sure if it’s part of DAP, but you also get warnings about dangerous bends even when not enabled.
- If you’re considering coding, you can also add these:
- Lane Change Assistant - on dual carriageway, you can change lanes by just using the indicator and the car will check the lane is clear and steer into it.
- Traffic Light Assistant - car will read identify red lights and bring the car to a stop, or, it there’s several lights, flag there’s a red which you can accept by using the SET button on the steering wheel. When the light goes green, it can pull away or beep to let you know you’re sat at a green light!

There’s also a load of safety systems lumped in with this that I’ve not had the chance to use fortunately!

Also think this works best if you have the HUD / Tech pack.

I think you can guess I’m a fan of it
Thank you very much for those detailed examples of your experience with these systems. You've certainly given me something to think about now!
I'm familiar with my F32 (sadly soon to be departing, but it's going to a good home I'm sure of that!), systems I've had for the past three and a half years or so, like lane guidance warning and collision avoidance but was curious how the current systems performed in the real world. The game has certainly moved on and I feel like I'm playing 'catch-up'!
This could be back to the drawing board on the configurator!
Appreciate 1
srbs73547.50
      03-14-2021, 03:10 PM   #14
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by james d View Post
I went for the Tech pack and added the Parking Assistant plus too. I didn’t want the DAP stuff and am slightly alarmed that things like Lane change warning and Collision alerts seem to be standard and have to be turned off before each journey.
The Lane Change Warning seems to be a bit weird. I have turned mine off and it stays off but others seem to struggle to do the same. As I think you’re saying, this isn’t part of DAP and seems to be mandatory for EU cars.
Appreciate 1
james d118.50
      03-14-2021, 03:11 PM   #15
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much for those detailed examples of your experience with these systems. You've certainly given me something to think about now!
I'm familiar with my F32 (sadly soon to be departing, but it's going to a good home I'm sure of that!), systems I've had for the past three and a half years or so, like lane guidance warning and collision avoidance but was curious how the current systems performed in the real world. The game has certainly moved on and I feel like I'm playing 'catch-up'!
This could be back to the drawing board on the configurator!
Look at the additional cost per week of ownership . Makes justifying it much easier!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:15 PM   #16
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by james d View Post
I was coming from the same angle as you with this. I am undecided just what level of involvement I actually want from the car. The drive (no pun intended!) towards autonomous vehicles I find somewhat disturbing and I can't say I'm exactly thrilled at the prospect of becoming a passenger in the driving seat!
I've had BMWs since 1982 because of that 'pure driving pleasure' I have always derived from owning and driving them and really want to hang on to that philosophy for as long as I can so I think I need to do some careful research before choosing options for a prospective new purchase that might conflict with those desires! Like I mentioned to a fellow forum member it's a case of back to the drawing board I think!
Appreciate 1
james d118.50
      03-14-2021, 03:16 PM   #17
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Lane change warning and collision warning are mandatory now so it’s not a BMW thing specifically.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:16 PM   #18
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Look at the additional cost per week of ownership . Makes justifying it much easier!
LOL !....Absolutely, I nearly had a bloody heart attack when I saw the price on the first 'mock up' on the configurator!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:18 PM   #19
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Lane change warning and collision warning are mandatory now so it’s not a BMW thing specifically.
Didn't realise that....hell I'm out of touch!
I can continue to live with that however!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:21 PM   #20
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I was coming from the same angle as you with this. I am undecided just what level of involvement I actually want from the car. The drive (no pun intended!) towards autonomous vehicles I find somewhat disturbing and I can't say I'm exactly thrilled at the prospect of becoming a passenger in the driving seat!
I've had BMWs since 1982 because of that 'pure driving pleasure' I have always derived from owning and driving them and really want to hang on to that philosophy for as long as I can so I think I need to do some careful research before choosing options for a prospective new purchase that might conflict with those desires! Like I mentioned to a fellow forum member it's a case of back to the drawing board I think!
I guess the short answer is, DAP is for when you can’t enjoy driving the car. I.e. heavy traffic, speed limits, speed cameras, following Ms Daisy.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:30 PM   #21
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

Doesn’t the Wi-Fi come with the enhanced Bluetooth setup aswell?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #22
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
Doesn’t the Wi-Fi come with the enhanced Bluetooth setup aswell?
I think it gives you the Wi-fi base which is needed for the Hotspot and CarPlay etc

It’s such a shame they don’t offer a 10GB p/m deal for GBP 9.99. I think I’d sign up, but 1GB is a joke.
Appreciate 0