Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK New RingGo app in iDrive Apps

04-09-2021, 03:37 PM   #1
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e

New RingGo app in iDrive Apps

Just spotted this today, possibly came through after I did an ‘update apps and services’ in the Apps menu, don’t think it was there before I did that.

From having a nosey on the iOS App Store it appears to be some kind of parking/payment app.

Anyone used it and know if it’s any good? Would hope it’s somehow universal, i.e. can cater for a multitude of different parking payment services out there, but probably wishful thinking... hope it’s not just limited to one set of paid parking car parks or it will be pretty pointless, or else you’d need all the various other services on there too??

Would be interested if anyone’s used it, as not sure if I can be bothered setting up yet another parking app on my phone I’ll use probably once or never!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 06:10 PM   #2
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire330e View Post
Just spotted this today, possibly came through after I did an ‘update apps and services’ in the Apps menu, don’t think it was there before I did that.

From having a nosey on the iOS App Store it appears to be some kind of parking/payment app.

Anyone used it and know if it’s any good? Would hope it’s somehow universal, i.e. can cater for a multitude of different parking payment services out there, but probably wishful thinking... hope it’s not just limited to one set of paid parking car parks or it will be pretty pointless, or else you’d need all the various other services on there too??

Would be interested if anyone’s used it, as not sure if I can be bothered setting up yet another parking app on my phone I’ll use probably once or never!
I think it’s a bit like being given a Betamax! A lot of my local car parks (including the station) used Ringo in the past, but they all seem to have moved to other apps or their own.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 07:08 PM   #3
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition xDrive

Must be a regional thing, its the app used by Glasgow city council, so I have it on my phone and use it a lot if I need to park in the city centre, as I rarely have the 15 pound coins required for about 30 mins parking in there!!
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2021, 07:12 PM   #4
Davey330i
DaveyM340i
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire330e View Post

Think it just depends on your area and what your local car parks/ council uses. I use Ringo loads as all the car parks near me and council street parking seem to use it. Will give it a go and see if it is easier than doing it on the phone.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:18 PM   #5
AB55
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC25 View Post
Must be a regional thing, its the app used by Glasgow city council, so I have it on my phone and use it a lot if I need to park in the city centre, as I rarely have the 15 pound coins required for about 30 mins parking in there!!
Edinburgh too. Looks quite handy.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 03:33 AM   #6
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Interesting, I’ve never heard of RingGo until it popped up last night.
The main on-street parking Pay & Display round here is APCOA, though searching RingGo theres a couple in Calderdale and about 70 in Kirklees, both of which I’m near.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 04:44 AM   #7
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

A bit more digging:

https://ringgo.co.uk/siri-and-alexa-come-to-ringgo-tell-me-where-to-park/

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/fleet-management/case-studies/industry-profiles/bmw-daimler-joint-venture-will-take-mobility-to-the-next-level

I’ll sign up and give it a whirl. Should come in handy when the Huddersfield Town away days and works meetings resume! I’m exactly the person who drives there and then starts worrying about parking at the last minute on arrival!
Appreciate 1
srbs73547.50
      04-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #8
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep

Tried to connect it today, it kept saying RingGo cannot find any vehicles in BMW ID. Anyone else managed to get it working?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 11:15 AM   #9
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
Tried to connect it today, it kept saying RingGo cannot find any vehicles in BMW ID. Anyone else managed to get it working?
Yes, got it configured on mine. I think you need to to be in the car and do the following:
1) Ensure BMW Connected App logged in (maybe MyBMW too)
2) RingGo app installed on your phone and logged in
3) In RingGo app, go to account tab
- Vehicles - add your vehicle reg
- Connected Vehicles - add the reg you just configured and connect to BMW ID LOGIN

Once above has been done, the menus should be available on the iDrive RingGo app in a few seconds.

One of the guys on the G05 X5 forum had to repeat the login several times before it eventually let him in.

Probably want to add a credit card to the RingGo app too I would imagine if booking via the car is possible? Not sure as there’s nowhere nearby for me to test!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #10
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
Yes, got it configured on mine. I think you need to to be in the car and do the following:
1) Ensure BMW Connected App logged in (maybe MyBMW too)
2) RingGo app installed on your phone and logged in
3) In RingGo app, go to account tab
- Vehicles - add your vehicle reg
- Connected Vehicles - add the reg you just configured and connect to BMW ID LOGIN

Once above has been done, the menus should be available on the iDrive RingGo app in a few seconds.

One of the guys on the G05 X5 forum had to repeat the login several times before it eventually let him in.

Probably want to add a credit card to the RingGo app too I would imagine if booking via the car is possible? Not sure as there’s nowhere nearby for me to test!
Thanks. I tried again a couple of times and it eventually found my car. All setup now, will see how it works. I have a feeling using the phone will be more convenient though.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 02:48 AM   #11
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

I've used the ringgo phone app for a couple of years - works well.

However I too could not find a vehicle to add to connected vehicles despite being logged in to BMW and ringgo and having the car in there already.

Good some have it working.

I think BMW have bought the ringgo app with a.n.other company
      04-12-2021, 04:35 AM   #12
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Works well, once you can get it configured.

When you arrive at a destination and turn off the engine, it becomes part of the exit rule and presents the nearest parking option and cost.
Appreciate 2
srbs73547.50
blaz21.50
      04-12-2021, 06:25 AM   #13
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Works well, once you can get it configured.

When you arrive at a destination and turn off the engine, it becomes part of the exit rule and presents the nearest parking option and cost.
Yes actually the implementation is quite good, with the notification coming up when you turn off the car. Impressed!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:26 AM   #14
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaz View Post
I've used the ringgo phone app for a couple of years - works well.

However I too could not find a vehicle to add to connected vehicles despite being logged in to BMW and ringgo and having the car in there already.

Good some have it working.

I think BMW have bought the ringgo app with a.n.other company
One thing I did do was enabled BMW CarData, I don't know if that made any difference. I had the same problem as you. Also I did it via my laptop, not the app.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:27 AM   #15
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

In the limited playing about with it I've done, after parking up and switching to standby, it offered me parking that was 2 miles away. Dont see the point in that.
      04-12-2021, 03:20 PM   #16
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
In the limited playing about with it I've done, after parking up and switching to standby, it offered me parking that was 2 miles away. Dont see the point in that.
It should show you the closest RingGo car park, which may well be 2 miles away unfortunately!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #17
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

But if I'm parked up and engine off, chances are I'm not interested in a RingGo car park 2 miles away.

Should only show you parking options if you are within or very close to the car park location itself.
      04-12-2021, 04:02 PM   #18
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
But if I'm parked up and engine off, chances are I'm not interested in a RingGo car park 2 miles away.

Should only show you parking options if you are within or very close to the car park location itself.
This would have been useful when my local train station used RingGo and I actually went into the office! I paid daily so being able to do it via the car when you park up would have been useful. 3 years too late for me
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 04:03 PM   #19
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:

Usually, but sometimes there might be a much cheaper RingGo option a bit further afield then where you are intending to park.

Could change your mind on where to park then and doesn't do any harm in displaying it. Unlikely to drive 2 miles to save a few quid though

A setting would help
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #20
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

I realised my ringgo app was set up with my mobile phone number - so i dont think connected bmw would talk to it. Sorted that out then it connected about the 4th attempt.

Maybe the route destination should offer the parking space option as well as the real destination?
      04-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #21
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

I set this up but as suspected, after a couple of weeks still been nowhere near a RingGo parking space to need or want to use this... but one thing I’ve noticed is it’s stopped suggesting the nearest space on screen now when I turn the ignition off. Account is still logged in and linked in the car and on the app etc - seems odd.

Anyone else had any success or even use out of this?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #22
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Usually, but sometimes there might be a much cheaper RingGo option a bit further afield then where you are intending to park.

Could change your mind on where to park then and doesn't do any harm in displaying it. Unlikely to drive 2 miles to save a few quid though

A setting would help
It may be location-specific but when I've used RingGo car parks using my phone app previously I thought they were pretty expensive.
Appreciate 0