Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions More restrictions coming out of BMW

12-20-2021, 11:31 AM   #1
GreyLVKnight
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

More restrictions coming out of BMW

Just got this from my dealership. I have a G26 on order with a March production date. Sounds like I'll "temporarily" be without Apple CarPlay until they push an update?? I'm on the verge of canceling my order since I already can't get wireless charging or power tailgate. Now they cancel CarPlay, what's next????
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
Paul D3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3

How would semi-conductors impact Apple Airplay in a way that it could be addressed by an update? Surely you end up without the semi-conductors so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 12:12 PM   #3
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
The update might be to allow CarPlay to function through USB vs wireless. Or they bring in affected VINs after the fact to have the headunit fitted with the appropriate antennae to allow full functionality without workarounds. Strange times we're living in.

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #4
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.75]
As to your specific car, I'm the owner of a previous-gen GC (2019 440GC), I would say that not having a power trunk would be a real drag. In fact that would bother me more than no power seats in that car.

One of the car's strongest attributes is that its versatile and functional. Having to open the rear hatch with your hands full would negatively impact that for me.

If I'm reading the e-mail correctly, it seems the loss (temporary or otherwise) of Bluetooth will be across several series starting in about 10 days, for who knows how long. Yikes, not having the ability to use bluetooth for phone calls, etc would be a real PITA, not to mention generate many 'hands-free' phone use issues. My car just completed its build (12/17) so hopefully I missed this, but I'm very sorry that it seems you did not.

If it can/will be retrofitted at no cost, I'd probably just live with it because of the redic chip issue, but if not a free retrofit, I'd pull the rip cord I believe.

What do they mean by the touch controller? Is this just the top of the Idrive control knob or is this back to the entire touchscreen issue they had (still are having on some series) just a bit ago?

Last edited by SpeedyATL; 12-20-2021 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #5
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

I find that "temporary" keyword questionable. How does software update address that problem? Either it is retrofitted with the hardware or it isn't. Maybe ask for more details? Highly doubt they will later recall cars without this feature to be retrofitted - will that be done at the expense of BMW?

Edit: After reading the email again, it is obvious that "temporary" here means it won't be retrofitted for the listed models FOR NOW until chips become available in the future at which point it will be retrofitted to those vehicles at manufacture.

Tough choice OP. I don't envy you at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 02:08 PM   #6
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
I find that "temporary" keyword questionable. How does software update address that problem? Either it is retrofitted with the hardware or it isn't. Maybe ask for more details? Highly doubt they will later recall cars without this feature to be retrofitted - will that be done at the expense of BMW?

Edit: After reading the email again, it is obvious that "temporary" here means it won't be retrofitted for the listed models FOR NOW until chips become available in the future at which point it will be retrofitted to those vehicles at manufacture.

I read "temporary" as only meaning they know roughly when the parts will be available again for production.

NOT that they will be able to retroactively restore the features on produced vehicles
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #7
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:

I read "temporary" as only meaning they know roughly when the parts will be available again for production.

NOT that they will be able to retroactively restore the features on produced vehicles
That's exactly what I said in my edit
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #8
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:

That's exactly what I said in my edit
I was saying that I read the communication as: there will not a retrofit on any car produced missing the features at any point. Even when they have restored normal production on the line.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 08:14 PM   #9
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

This is really getting ridiculous at this point.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9531.00
      12-20-2021, 09:01 PM   #10
wolvesatthedoor
UFO Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
This is really getting ridiculous at this point.
I agree completely, it's getting to the point that so much equipment is getting removed that the vehicles are not worth the money. Next they're going to remove the airbag deployment function.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2021, 10:20 PM   #11
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

So does that mean all cars in production will be without this feature starting January? I'm scheduled for a week 5 build. That would be a freaking bummer not having Apple car play.
2012 - Charger SRT 392 - Sold
2009 - Charger SRT 6.1 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 10:59 PM   #12
zab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440iX

I feel BMW is at a point which they shall just slow down the production and communicate straight to potential buyers.

Instead, they choose to keep the line going by producing half baked cars to make the number look better than other brands. And keep luring in new customers by appearing to be the brand can deliver as normal.

All these are done by keeping customers in shadow, and wear customers' time/opportunities to look for other brands.

Other more honest brands shall sue BMW for misconduct and unethical practices.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 11:00 PM   #13
Firedad
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 ordered

Will see how it shakes out, at this point if BMW continues like this, I’ll just go to Porsche.
This is absolutely stupid. Reduce the production if you need to, but repeatedly sending out sub par vehicles is pathetic. And definitely NOT what I expect from a “premium” brand.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 12:05 AM   #14
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescorpion View Post
I agree completely, it's getting to the point that so much equipment is getting removed that the vehicles are not worth the money. Next they're going to remove the airbag deployment function.
Exactly my sentiment. I ordered an M3 xDrive and would feel absolutely cheated paying $100K+ for it (Canadian) and it is missing features I want. I don't anticipate the car arriving until well into late spring or possibly early summer. Lots can happen so I'll just wait and see. My current X6 isn't missing anything so I be happy to keep it if the M3 doesn't work out.

Rob
Appreciate 1
rico2537.00
      12-21-2021, 12:24 AM   #15
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Does that really say you won't have Bluetooth in the car….?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 01:03 AM   #16
trife.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3MC x Porsche Cayenne

The way I read it is that you'll have Bluetooth but no capability to connect 2 phones at once. And CarPlay/AA will be missing. So it sounds like the only way to connect wirelessly will be to iDrive.

This would be an absolute dealbreaker for me, personally. I guess I shouldn't complain too much about my touchscreen-less build that managed to get all my other options included. Clearly it can (and will) get worse.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 06:41 AM   #17
GreyLVKnight
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Update: So it does seem for certain that the Apple CarPlay issue will be resolved with a software update. So I will press with my order for right now……but I swear if they try to take away one more option I will cancel this lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 07:33 AM   #18
UnknownBeing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i (22 M340i in-transit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyLVKnight View Post
Update: So it does seem for certain that the Apple CarPlay issue will be resolved with a software update. So I will press with my order for right now……but I swear if they try to take away one more option I will cancel this lol
I wonder how this is going to work.
I wonder if they have to use a different vendor for some of these components, and the firmware to support these features isn't ready yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 07:39 AM   #19
syd34
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i GC

Garage List
I completely agree with SpeedyATL. If it were the G20, then giving up the automated trunk is not a huge deal. But on the Gran Coupe, the size and weight of the hatch makes the power operation really nice to have.
Appreciate 1
okarch3.00
      12-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #20
Zircon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4CX, MT09, YZF-R1

To me, it looks like they replaced some chips.
Theses kind of changes usually require software modifications, sometimes even firmware updates and they are probably working on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 08:41 PM   #21
wolvesatthedoor
UFO Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Exactly my sentiment. I ordered an M3 xDrive and would feel absolutely cheated paying $100K+ for it (Canadian) and it is missing features I want. I don't anticipate the car arriving until well into late spring or possibly early summer. Lots can happen so I'll just wait and see. My current X6 isn't missing anything so I be happy to keep it if the M3 doesn't work out.

Rob
Absolutely, see how it goes by spring/summer. If you're not totally satisfied you can always cancel and the dealer will just put it on the lot for someone else. I ordered my M340i back and April and was not happy that I couldn't get the HK sound system. Looking back, I feel lucky that was the only omission compared to the people getting ones now without power seats or touch screen iDrive systems. It's insane, I'd rather them produces less units and still have all or most equipment on the ones they're putting out.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 09:50 PM   #22
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Yes, the power hatch would be nice to have, but probably not a deal breaker. As far as thr charging pad…. It’s a total waste of money anyway.
Appreciate 0