Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

BMW iX compared to a Tesla Model Y

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 11:45 AM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Haven't watched it, but this is a bad comparison. iX should be compared to Model X, not Model Y. Model Y is a far cheaper car.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 12:10 PM   #3
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Personally find this an irrelevant comparison. The cars differ too much in size, price point, target audience and quality. I can’t imagine anyone cross shopping an iX with a Model Y.
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6685.50
      03-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

I see it differently. Not so much a comparison of the cars in size and performance but more a comparison of the interior quality between the two companies. Looking at it through those eyes, the BMW is superior in so many ways. Even if they were to compare it to a Tesla model X, I still feel the BMW provides a much better interior experience. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 2
hugo_nz3195.00
Paladin15581.50
      03-02-2022, 03:23 PM   #5
venom21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50 Tesla MYP Prev: 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Haven't watched it, but this is a bad comparison. iX should be compared to Model X, not Model Y. Model Y is a far cheaper car.
Not in Canada, my IX order topped out at $111K CAD, Model Y long range with all the options is over $100K with taxes.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 08:41 AM   #6
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom21 View Post
Not in Canada, my IX order topped out at $111K CAD, Model Y long range with all the options is over $100K with taxes.
Did you add FSD? Because you can't, that's a farce.

in the US, a fully loaded (sans FSD) Model Y performance is $67k. That's $20k less than the STARTING point of an iXM50i. And nearly $40k less than an iXM60i.

Would you compare an X5 40i to a Hyundai Santa Fe and be surprised that the BMW is that much better? It had better be!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 12:17 PM   #7
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Did you add FSD? Because you can't, that's a farce.
Even though I don't think FSD would get approved in the foreseeable future, you do need FSD package to get Auto Park and Auto Lane Change.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 03:01 PM   #8
venom21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50 Tesla MYP Prev: 530e

Summon as well
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 04:37 PM   #9
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

All of that is shit.

My first Model 3 had Enhanced Auto Pilot, which had almost all the features of FSD minus the "City Streets Beta". Summon, Advanced Summon, Auto Lane Change, Stop at Stop Signs, NOA on Highway, you name it. My second one had a choice: basic AP (TACC plus Auto Steer) or FSD. I went for no FSD.

The only thing I miss, and I mean ONLY thing, is auto lane change on signal, and really that's only because it's such a PITA to hear the "bong-bong" chime when you re-engage after lane change. After a year with the new car, I had the opportunity to buy EAP for $4k....and I hard passed. Everything else SUCKS.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 06:35 AM   #10
npa201
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 m50i, IX 50, Rivian R1S

This was a horrible biased overview. Even if it was biased it could have been much more informative. Honestly, would turn me off on the IX if this was my SA. His point on taste….well just look at his suit.

I am actually cross shopping the Model Y and IX. In fact, I took delivery of my Y performance a month ago, I have the full build sheet deposit for the IX 50, and I also have a Rivian R1S deposit in (for now….). I also own an X5 m50I.

I have only seen an IX in person on a highway (it was a demo or press vehicle seen in the wild randomly) and was impressed.

Thus far the Tesla has really impressed. I’m quite surprised and for the vast majority of people, the model Y may be all someone needs. Storage and rear view space is impressive. I haven’t gone out and measured but with the frunk, trunks and lower trunk space, I think this actually has more space than my X5. I could actually see this as my daily for the next 5 years..

However, I haven’t asked for a refund on the IX deposit yet. I may either trade in X5 m50i if I get comfortable with the idea of a two household EV. But the more likely debate is whether i trade in the Y in the next 5 months (I figured current environment on car prices allows me to only incur a relatively small loss on this experiment). There are a few areas where the Y does not compare to my X5 M50i and as I can’t compare the IX yet I’m assuming (BIG ASSUMPTION) that the x5 m50i is a good proxy for the IX experience.

1) Suspension. Model Y is ok but unrefined. I can live with it. X5 M50i with the dynamic sport suspension surprisingly feels much more comfortable. I believe IX is an air suspension setup…right? So I assume it will be even better.
2) Luxury interior. Y is perfectly fine. It’s so minimalist that I actually think it may age well. The plastics on the inside aren’t as bad as I was assuming but for a $65K car, it does seem a step down. That said I prefer the interior of this to the X3 which had a lot of gloss black. I’m not the biggest tree hugger so I miss the merino leather. I love the gimmicky ambient lighting. And the crystal knobs in my x5 also hit me in the eye when the sun is in the right spot….and I don’t care…I’m fancy and I want it. The interior of my car just screams luxury when you option everything out and I hope the IX can do the same.
3) Rear wheel steering. I believe the IX 50 in the US comes standard with this. Model Y is competent in a parking lot but I was surprised when it felt like x5 with the rear steering (i think part of dynamic handling package) felt more capable at low speeds when parking or pulling into my garage.
4) No heads up display. I don’t care that the model Y doesn’t have an instrument cluster but I’ve come to really love the heads up display and its integration with NAV/CarPlay.
5) No car play. Not the biggest deal and I get why they did it but would like a little more integration with my smartphone (even Apple Music would suffice).

Honestly if the Model Y had air suspension and rear wheel steering I would probably just forgo the luxury element and cancel the IX as the Model Y is about $35k cheaper. That said, I believe the IX still qualifies for the old Federal Tax rebate which I think is $7500 although I need to better understand if there are income caps. And if it has all these other options I will likely trade in the Y for this stuff. I guess my last deciding factor is I live close to NYC in an affluent area and these Model Y’s are just a dime a dozen. I see them everywhere. Same goes with the X5. So I’ve come to actually appreciate the look of the IX and may go that route just to have something that looks a little different. Initially I hated the look of the new m3/m4 but in person I think they look stellar. I assume we’ll all come to appreciate the IX after that initial shock.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 11:18 AM   #11
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa201 View Post
1) Suspension. Model Y is ok but unrefined. I can live with it.
But your rear passengers may not.
I find the ride as rear passengers very uncomfortable.
My sister-in-law was swearing as she got out of the car at the end of the test drive - and she was adamant about getting a Tesla previously

I guess it also depends on the road surface in your area. But Model Y really needs air suspension.
In the forums, you can see all these suggestions about lowering tire pressures, and changing suspensions etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 11:43 AM   #12
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

I wouldn't fault anyone for buying a Tesla Model Y or X but the Y feels unrefined, lacking in amenities. I know Tesla buyers like this minimalist approach but buyers like me want more refinement, more tech, smoother ride, etc. Tesla deserves credit for pushing the automotive industry into the electric future but the old guys on the block know how to make and sell steel so they'll push EV's to new heights.
Appreciate 1
Brwilli51.00
      03-05-2022, 12:05 PM   #13
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa201 View Post
This was a horrible biased overview. Even if it was biased it could have been much more informative. Honestly, would turn me off on the IX if this was my SA. His point on taste….well just look at his suit.

I am actually cross shopping the Model Y and IX. In fact, I took delivery of my Y performance a month ago, I have the full build sheet deposit for the IX 50, and I also have a Rivian R1S deposit in (for now….). I also own an X5 m50I.

I have only seen an IX in person on a highway (it was a demo or press vehicle seen in the wild randomly) and was impressed.

Thus far the Tesla has really impressed. I’m quite surprised and for the vast majority of people, the model Y may be all someone needs. Storage and rear view space is impressive. I haven’t gone out and measured but with the frunk, trunks and lower trunk space, I think this actually has more space than my X5. I could actually see this as my daily for the next 5 years..

However, I haven’t asked for a refund on the IX deposit yet. I may either trade in X5 m50i if I get comfortable with the idea of a two household EV. But the more likely debate is whether i trade in the Y in the next 5 months (I figured current environment on car prices allows me to only incur a relatively small loss on this experiment). There are a few areas where the Y does not compare to my X5 M50i and as I can’t compare the IX yet I’m assuming (BIG ASSUMPTION) that the x5 m50i is a good proxy for the IX experience.

1) Suspension. Model Y is ok but unrefined. I can live with it. X5 M50i with the dynamic sport suspension surprisingly feels much more comfortable. I believe IX is an air suspension setup…right? So I assume it will be even better.
2) Luxury interior. Y is perfectly fine. It’s so minimalist that I actually think it may age well. The plastics on the inside aren’t as bad as I was assuming but for a $65K car, it does seem a step down. That said I prefer the interior of this to the X3 which had a lot of gloss black. I’m not the biggest tree hugger so I miss the merino leather. I love the gimmicky ambient lighting. And the crystal knobs in my x5 also hit me in the eye when the sun is in the right spot….and I don’t care…I’m fancy and I want it. The interior of my car just screams luxury when you option everything out and I hope the IX can do the same.
3) Rear wheel steering. I believe the IX 50 in the US comes standard with this. Model Y is competent in a parking lot but I was surprised when it felt like x5 with the rear steering (i think part of dynamic handling package) felt more capable at low speeds when parking or pulling into my garage.
4) No heads up display. I don’t care that the model Y doesn’t have an instrument cluster but I’ve come to really love the heads up display and its integration with NAV/CarPlay.
5) No car play. Not the biggest deal and I get why they did it but would like a little more integration with my smartphone (even Apple Music would suffice).

Honestly if the Model Y had air suspension and rear wheel steering I would probably just forgo the luxury element and cancel the IX as the Model Y is about $35k cheaper. That said, I believe the IX still qualifies for the old Federal Tax rebate which I think is $7500 although I need to better understand if there are income caps. And if it has all these other options I will likely trade in the Y for this stuff. I guess my last deciding factor is I live close to NYC in an affluent area and these Model Y’s are just a dime a dozen. I see them everywhere. Same goes with the X5. So I’ve come to actually appreciate the look of the IX and may go that route just to have something that looks a little different. Initially I hated the look of the new m3/m4 but in person I think they look stellar. I assume we’ll all come to appreciate the IX after that initial shock.
It was indeed a biased review (I mean he is a BMW salesman.. he was never going to say that the Y was better) however nothing he said was untrue (some was obviously subjective) and he didn't dwell on the negatives too much. His comments were not on par with professional car reviewers but you can excuse that cause that's not his job and it is actually not easy to do on the fly.

I have test driven a model Y (and 3) not too long ago. What I found was that the suspension is overly harsh. Our roads here are garbage and the ride quality was sub par. In your case, you got the performance model so maybe you are more ok with the ride being harsh/"sporty" (many premium sport cars have proven that you don't need to have a horrible ride to be sporty), but my test drive was a long range model Y and there was no justification for the harshness. If the roads are smooth where you live, this may not be a problem.

On the interior, I do agree that the plastics used seemed of good quality, and there are plenty of soft touch materials where it matters most. The seats felt good and were well/thickly cushioned. The fake leather they use for the seats feels ok, but does not feel premium. I would say it is better than leather used in economy cars (i.e. like the 2007 mazda 3 leather seats I used to own), but didn't feel as good to me as any of the BMW leather or even sensatec seats I have had in some loaners.

Overall, I would not qualify the interior as luxury. It is minimalist, in a cost savings way, not in a premium way. It looks simple and clean, especially in pictures, and I get why people might appreciate that look. That strip of wood on the dashboard might look nice, but touching or knocking on it made it feel cheap. In essence, the best way I can describe it is that any luxury feeling people get from it is only skin deep.

Other little things that stood out were the piss poor visibility out of the rear window, and the rear motor produced an annoying whine that did not happen on the model 3. The Y also had inconsistent fit and finish on the A pillars, and the B pillars, whereas the 3 did not. And of course all the other usual tesla gripes about no buttons, no instrument cluster or HUD, etc).

The interior of the iX (with the expensive leather) felt on par if not better than the quality of a full merino leather X5. It looks different, but felt very high end.
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      03-19-2022, 08:10 PM   #14
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

I have model Y for 4 month as my Costco/shopping/restaurant/dog mobile.
Works perfect for that. It does have excellent 0-60 at 3.5 sec and it costs many times cheaper to operate than my previous v-8 dd.
Obviously it has nothing to brag about inside on the typical luxury site but we all know how much it costs and it ridiculous to compare it to much more expensive premium vehicles.
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      03-19-2022, 08:16 PM   #15
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_08 View Post
I have model Y for 4 month as my Costco/shopping/restaurant/dog mobile.
Works perfect for that. It does have excellent 0-60 at 3.5 sec and it costs many times cheaper to operate than my previous v-8 dd.
Obviously it has nothing to brag about inside on the typical luxury site but we all know how much it costs and it ridiculous to compare it to much more expensive premium vehicles.
I have a good friend who owns a Y and it's a good car that checks a lot of boxes for most needs. I test drove a Y a while back and liked it more than my wife. When we got back in our X7 she this is a real car. We're spoiled I guess. She wants an iX so we'll see how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 09:27 PM   #16
npa201
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 m50i, IX 50, Rivian R1S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
It was indeed a biased review (I mean he is a BMW salesman.. he was never going to say that the Y was better) however nothing he said was untrue (some was obviously subjective) and he didn't dwell on the negatives too much. His comments were not on par with professional car reviewers but you can excuse that cause that's not his job and it is actually not easy to do on the fly.

I have test driven a model Y (and 3) not too long ago. What I found was that the suspension is overly harsh. Our roads here are garbage and the ride quality was sub par. In your case, you got the performance model so maybe you are more ok with the ride being harsh/"sporty" (many premium sport cars have proven that you don't need to have a horrible ride to be sporty), but my test drive was a long range model Y and there was no justification for the harshness. If the roads are smooth where you live, this may not be a problem.

On the interior, I do agree that the plastics used seemed of good quality, and there are plenty of soft touch materials where it matters most. The seats felt good and were well/thickly cushioned. The fake leather they use for the seats feels ok, but does not feel premium. I would say it is better than leather used in economy cars (i.e. like the 2007 mazda 3 leather seats I used to own), but didn't feel as good to me as any of the BMW leather or even sensatec seats I have had in some loaners.

Overall, I would not qualify the interior as luxury. It is minimalist, in a cost savings way, not in a premium way. It looks simple and clean, especially in pictures, and I get why people might appreciate that look. That strip of wood on the dashboard might look nice, but touching or knocking on it made it feel cheap. In essence, the best way I can describe it is that any luxury feeling people get from it is only skin deep.

Other little things that stood out were the piss poor visibility out of the rear window, and the rear motor produced an annoying whine that did not happen on the model 3. The Y also had inconsistent fit and finish on the A pillars, and the B pillars, whereas the 3 did not. And of course all the other usual tesla gripes about no buttons, no instrument cluster or HUD, etc).

The interior of the iX (with the expensive leather) felt on par if not better than the quality of a full merino leather X5. It looks different, but felt very high end.
I think I also replied to you in another post as I’ve seen test driven the IX. Oddly I did notice how harsh the LR Y was in a test drive and made me worry about the performance version but oddly I don’t find it that much worse (fairly comparable to the LR Y). Roads by me are a mixture of good and bad. Definitely not settled on bad roads and there were a few pot holes where I’ve had that Oof moment. But its actually become fairly serviceable.

When I got the MYP, initially I also thought it seemed cheap on the inside but I’ve come to accept it. To me it does not seem any cheaper looking on the inside than an X3 (which has tons of gloss black). Also as I mentioned in my other post, I drove an IX with sensetec and I really don’t like that fake tumbled leather look. It just feels cheap to me. I think the MYP actually seems nicer on this front (the rest of the IX interior is superior though). Heck, I had a 2013 x5 with base leather and I think the MYP has better vinyl than that X5’s cheap bonded leather option. Where the MYP really falls short is when compared to the Merino leather options offered as premium upgrades in the higher-end BMW’s.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 10:33 PM   #17
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

The author of the video of this thread used to post here, but I notice that he got banned. Anyone know what's happened?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 01:56 AM   #18
07e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I own a 2019 Tesla Model X with revised air suspension, once rented a Model Y when taking a trip in Hawaii, both Tesla are no where near the ride quality of iX(with 22” wheel/tire) and its quietness. After test drove the iX, I realize how an EV can be driven with so much fun and be confident in cornering. The HUD is impressive too. However, iX does not have a tow hitch in US is a big deal breaker to me (but, that’s ok, I will keep my X too :P). I also prefer the simplicity of Tesla and its screen operations; iDrive 8 is just too complicated and I did not bother digging into it during my test drive. Tesla’s supercharging network is unbeatable too.

Last edited by 07e92; 03-20-2022 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      03-20-2022, 07:19 AM   #19
grueber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 2023

There is a $23k gap between the Y and IX (not including the $7500 Fed rebate) but they occupy a similar segment: 5 seat SUV.

I almost ordered a Y two months ago. I changed my mind after I test drove one. The interior comfort is meh and I did not like the ride. It felt like a step down from my 2016 Acura RDX. I was struggling with the one pedal driving on my 30 min drive. I tried the 3 different levels of regen braking and it didn't help.

My wife had a very negative reaction to the Y. It didn't help that when we arrived at the Tesla showroom she asked where the bathroom is and the Tesla employee pointed her to a restaurant across the street. She didn't think much of the interior either or the herky-jerky drive experience while I drove.

I started googling for alternative EVs and found the IX. There were several Youtube reviews from the UK and I was impressed with the interior, range, and the tech inside. I called my local BMW dealer and they didn't have a demo yet. I thought it over for a week and decided to order one anyway based on the reviews I watched. When the dealer got a demo to test drive last week it fulfilled my expectations. It drove fine in normal D mode, interior was lux, and the ride excellent. Wife thought it was pretty sweet too.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2022, 08:20 AM   #20
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grueber View Post
There is a $23k gap between the Y and IX (not including the $7500 Fed rebate) but they occupy a similar segment: 5 seat SUV.

I almost ordered a Y two months ago. I changed my mind after I test drove one. The interior comfort is meh and I did not like the ride. It felt like a step down from my 2016 Acura RDX. I was struggling with the one pedal driving on my 30 min drive. I tried the 3 different levels of regen braking and it didn't help.

My wife had a very negative reaction to the Y. It didn't help that when we arrived at the Tesla showroom she asked where the bathroom is and the Tesla employee pointed her to a restaurant across the street. She didn't think much of the interior either or the herky-jerky drive experience while I drove.

I started googling for alternative EVs and found the IX. There were several Youtube reviews from the UK and I was impressed with the interior, range, and the tech inside. I called my local BMW dealer and they didn't have a demo yet. I thought it over for a week and decided to order one anyway based on the reviews I watched. When the dealer got a demo to test drive last week it fulfilled my expectations. It drove fine in normal D mode, interior was lux, and the ride excellent. Wife thought it was pretty sweet too.
Our experience at the service center where we drove the model Y was very similar to what you describe. The building looked rundown and definitely needed a good cleaning. The $23,000 difference in price that you correctly point out would allow Tesla to offer an optional air suspension in the model 3 and the model Y and customers would pay for it. If they offered HUD in any of their models, customers would pay for it. Tesla is very stubborn but as long as people are willing to throw their money into Elon's wallet, things will not change.
Appreciate 0