bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-29-2022, 09:15 AM   #1
Shieze
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW m240i

Wireless charging issues

So I just got my car and trying to sort out the weirdest issue.

Using an Android Pixel 6. Basically I can get the wireless charger to work and the blue light for the charger will turn on if I am not driving.

As soon as I start driving it will not charge. I tried with 2 different pixel 6s and I am seeing the same behaviour.

I also as a passenger yesterday tried to put my phone in airplane mode or disable only bluetooth and still couldn't get it to work. At this time my wife's phone was driving android auto.

It looks to me that if any phone is connected (maybe both wifi and bluetooth) then the wireless charger is being disabled. Has anyone else seen this?
Appreciate 1
N240i172.50
      04-29-2022, 10:09 AM   #2
N240i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieze View Post
So I just got my car and trying to sort out the weirdest issue.

Using an Android Pixel 6. Basically I can get the wireless charger to work and the blue light for the charger will turn on if I am not driving.

As soon as I start driving it will not charge. I tried with 2 different pixel 6s and I am seeing the same behaviour.

I also as a passenger yesterday tried to put my phone in airplane mode or disable only bluetooth and still couldn't get it to work. At this time my wife's phone was driving android auto.

It looks to me that if any phone is connected (maybe both wifi and bluetooth) then the wireless charger is being disabled. Has anyone else seen this?
I've had the same problem!! I've been trying to figure this out since I got the car as my Pixel6 Pro has the same issue. Every other phone that has been in my car can charge without issue, every time (Androids and iPhones).

Not sure about your theory though, as my gf's iPhone charges without issue every time we're driving in the car even if Android Auto is running through my phone.
Personally, I can't even get the blue light half the time I put my phone in the slot. I have to play around with it quite a bit (oh and definitely have to remove my phone case) to get it to notice my phone, and then after a few seconds, light is off and no longer charging. Pretty salty about it given I paid to have this option lol

Given you're using the same devices, I have a feeling it just might be how our NFC is located in our phones, compared to the charger pad, maybe? Seems like a crazy coincidence.

If you figure anything out, please share as I'd really like to be able to use this damn thing during my commutes lol I'll let you know if I happen to stumble upon a solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 10:21 AM   #3
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

I removed the charger option for my build, but want to ask, I assume the regular pixel 6 fits in the slot ok? I have the Google OEM case. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 10:35 AM   #4
Shieze
Rep

Not using the OEM case for the 6 but both my wife's and my phone fit in with our cases. The OEM case I had is around the same size and I still have some additional space so I don't think it will be an issue.

I did try with no case on my phone as well and couldn't get it to work while driving.

I will try a different phone in it soon and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 11:24 AM   #5
Kewlb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW F83 M4

Does anyone know if you can disable wireless charging. I hear there are issues with heat generation... I mean it could be useful in some cases, but if I already have a good charge, I don't need it in operation -- yet that area still remains a good place to store the phone while in transit.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 12:33 PM   #6
Shieze
Rep

I tried finding an option to be able to disable wireless charging and could not find it.

Last edited by Shieze; 05-02-2022 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 05:33 PM   #7
RC84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Wireless charging seems a bit gimmicky in a lot of vehicles. Constant issues depending on type of phone, case, etc.

It's a slow charge as well, and I prefer the convenience of quick (wired) charging.

I decided not to opt for the wireless option because of my past experience and details presented by others.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 02:11 PM   #8
MJH2157
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

if the wireless charger cannot by disabled in Idrive, does anyone know if it can be disabled by pulling a fuse without causing vehicle errors?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 03:24 PM   #9
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH2157 View Post
if the wireless charger cannot by disabled in Idrive, does anyone know if it can be disabled by pulling a fuse without causing vehicle errors?
Why disable it just dont use it .ive had 3 cars with wireless charging all slow and just heat up the phone .waste if time i use it for my specs instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 02:25 PM   #10
sig_serg
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH2157 View Post
PSA: You can disable the wireless charger via coding.

@ Everyone:
PSA 2: You can fix this by adding some space between your phone and the pad. I have had countless issues with my Pixel 7 Pro until I put it in sideways one day. Just filmed a filthy-car-POV showing my fix.

TLDR: Put some black single sided adhesive foam down to lift your phone up slightly.

Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruS5biTQWHw
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MJH215725.50