Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 2023 3 Series / M340i G20 LCI Reviews Are Here

09-21-2022, 10:14 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

2023 3 Series / M340i G20 LCI Reviews Are Here

ARTICLES:

Autocar
Autoexpress
BMWBlog
Offaly Express
PA Motoring
Pistonheads
Whichcar
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 2
      09-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #2
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

This guy does a pretty good job on reviews too:
Appreciate 9
      09-21-2022, 01:28 PM   #3
prei1978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i xDrive Conv.

Garage List
I don't understand why BMW removed the gear selector stalk. I have a G23 M440xi and an F54 JCW Clubman and in both cars, I drive manual and at low speeds in traffic, I tend to have one hand on the wheel and one hand on the gear selector to shift up and down. When driving on the limit I have both hands on the wheel and use the paddles for gear changes. I love it. It provides the best experience in all driving modes and no, I do not and will not drive my cars in full auto because the transmission never seems to do what I want it to do.

Of all changes in the cabin that is the most offensive to me. I can learn to live with climate control switches on the big screen, but there is no replacement for the functionality the gear selector lever gave me.
Appreciate 18
      09-21-2022, 01:33 PM   #4
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Curious to see what the American magazines day or if any handling metrics improved. It's the class benchmark
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 01:33 PM   #5
mondayze
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by prei1978 View Post
I don't understand why BMW removed the gear selector stalk. I have a G23 M440xi and an F54 JCW Clubman and in both cars, I drive manual and at low speeds in traffic, I tend to have one hand on the wheel and one hand on the gear selector to shift up and down. When driving on the limit I have both hands on the wheel and use the paddles for gear changes. I love it. It provides the best experience in all driving modes and no, I do not and will not drive my cars in full auto because the transmission never seems to do what I want it to do.

Of all changes in the cabin that is the most offensive to me. I can learn to live with climate control switches on the big screen, but there is no replacement for the functionality the gear selector lever gave me.
If you drive so much with a gear selector you should just buy a manual lol
Appreciate 9
      09-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #6
prei1978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i xDrive Conv.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayze View Post
If they offered one, yeah, by all means. Alas for those cars it is no longer an option.
Appreciate 7
      09-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #7
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Because they’re stupid!! The same reason they removed physical buttons for things that should have physical buttons. Rather than lead these days they’re following….right over the cliff.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Llarry15410.50
      09-21-2022, 02:06 PM   #8
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:

I do the same thing
Appreciate 2
      09-21-2022, 02:40 PM   #9
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Quote:

Because they're stupid!! The same reason they removed physical buttons for things that should have physical buttons. Rather than lead these days they're following….right over the cliff.
It's cheaper to program a touchscreen than physical buttons. It's all about cost cutting while trying to convince the customer it's better.
WWM3964.00
R0ot.Us3r224.00
DavidXJ663.00
      09-21-2022, 02:49 PM   #10
JonDT
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:

100% agree with you. This is one of the many reasons I just bought a CPO 2021 G20 M340i rather than a new LCI one.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2022, 03:12 PM   #11
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Looks like the F90. I like it

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 2
      09-21-2022, 03:19 PM   #12
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Tempted to send Bmw a dictionary with page open at "E" with the word ergonomics underlined and ask their designer to read it because the people designing their latest cars obviously are not familiar with it.

I could rant on but all it will do is raise my blood pressure. I will simply not buy the car
Appreciate 2
      09-21-2022, 03:50 PM   #13
440i6MT
Brother
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i, soon E60 M5 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Tempted to send Bmw a dictionary with page open at "E" with the word ergonomics underlined and ask their designer to read it because the people designing their latest cars obviously are not familiar with it.

I could rant on but all it will do is raise my blood pressure. I will simply not buy the car
Hard to believe this is the same company that designed the f06
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 03:58 PM   #14
Unbuckled2579
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
This guy does a pretty good job on reviews too:
Love this dude. He is so unapologetically German in the best way possible.
Appreciate 6
      09-21-2022, 03:59 PM   #15
Unbuckled2579
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:

Since the new Alpina B3 still has the lever, I wonder if we'll be able to buy a third party option at some point.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 04:24 PM   #16
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Are there any reviews of the non Msport car I wonder...
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2022, 04:59 PM   #17
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayze View Post
Quote:

Shame they don't offer a manual anymore either (unless you get an undertuned M3). Both BMW and Porsche are removing the gear selector stalk functions so you have to use the paddles. Not a good trend. The race to full auto is gathering pace. Soon enough with full autonomous driving the steering wheels will start disappearing as well!
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2022, 05:13 PM   #18
mondayze
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Shame they don't offer a manual anymore either (unless you get an undertuned M3). Both BMW and Porsche are removing the gear selector stalk functions so you have to use the paddles. Not a good trend. The race to full auto is gathering pace. Soon enough with full autonomous driving the steering wheels will start disappearing as well!
They under tuned the manual M3 so people wont blow their transmission trying to launch the car lol
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4565.00
      09-21-2022, 08:22 PM   #19
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
Quote:

I do the same thing
I hate the removal of climate control buttons, I do agree. And I'd rather have a shifter, but I will ask, are you sure the car won't shift how you'd like?

I've driven a bunch of ZF BMWs and the trans has always been pretty flawless.
      09-21-2022, 09:10 PM   #20
mondayze
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbuckled2579 View Post
Love this dude. He is so unapologetically German in the best way possible.
the most german jawline lol
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 09:37 PM   #21
BklynNYBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "24 X6M60i / "21 m340i xdrive

After reading some of these reviews and watching the youtube videos. Chances are I will be buying my current M340i xdrive at the end of the lease. Seems like the updated version is missing / not available a few features of my current 3. No power trunk, laser lights, heated rear seats, missing buttons for a/c, fan, temp and, toggle switch instead of a shifter. Even with these missing features the price is about the same as mine and I ordered Tanzanite
Maybe I am in the minority but I don't think the LCI makes it look more aggressive. I think it actually looks less so with some of the lines removed.
Also there isn't much upgrade in terms of power and handling. The new interior with the new instrument panel and toggle gear (not a fan) isn't enough to make me really want to get the newer version. I remember years back when BMW brought out the 7 and put the shifter on the steering column. A few years later with the following generation the shifter was back in the console. Maybe we will get lucky like that
Maybe when the all new version finally arrives in a few years that will peak my interest. Would like to hear what you guys and girls think
__________________________________________________ _________________________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2021 M340i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except Adaptive M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. AKA Blue Angel
*Retired 04/30/21: 2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
Appreciate 6
      09-21-2022, 11:35 PM   #22
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynNYBMW View Post
After reading some of these reviews and watching the youtube videos. Chances are I will be buying my current M340i xdrive at the end of the lease. Seems like the updated version is missing / not available a few features of my current 3. No power trunk, laser lights, heated rear seats, missing buttons for a/c, fan, temp and, toggle switch instead of a shifter. Even with these missing features the price is about the same as mine and I ordered Tanzanite
Maybe I am in the minority but I don't think the LCI makes it look more aggressive. I think it actually looks less so with some of the lines removed.
Also there isn't much upgrade in terms of power and handling. The new interior with the new instrument panel and toggle gear (not a fan) isn't enough to make me really want to get the newer version. I remember years back when BMW brought out the 7 and put the shifter on the steering column. A few years later with the following generation the shifter was back in the console. Maybe we will get lucky like that
Maybe when the all new version finally arrives in a few years that will peak my interest. Would like to hear what you guys and girls think
__________________________________________________ _________________________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2021 M340i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except Adaptive M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. AKA Blue Angel
*Retired 04/30/21: 2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
Totally agree 100%. I don't appreciate the new screen and design as well as the toggle switch. Imo, the new face and rear are hideous.
AP2762.00
DavidXJ663.00
JSaid286.00