home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-11-2023, 11:17 AM   #1
cleaningup
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M3, 68 GTO, 18 Wrangler

Blown Integrated Supply Module

I'm wondering if I am the only one that has had this issue.

My shop installed Visconti's motiv Reflex kit and blew my integrated supply module as soon as I powered it on. We checked every connection with a voltmeter and cannot figure out a single reason as to why this would have happened. Visconti's harnesses seem to be perfectly assembled. Has anybody else had this issue?

I'm going to have them throw a fuse in there so that it doesn't blow the new one as soon as we power it on.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 01:33 AM   #2
S58King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 CX

No idea but I has stars installed and my same module blew twice still waiting on a fix do you know how they ended up fixing it?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 08:18 AM   #3
cleaningup
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M3, 68 GTO, 18 Wrangler

They just got a new one from the local dealer. Finished the install of flex fuel then installed new ism. Been good since then
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 10:30 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaningup View Post
They just got a new one from the local dealer. Finished the install of flex fuel then installed new ism. Been good since then

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 02:37 AM   #5
S58King
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaningup View Post
ive replaced my module 3 times still no fix
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 04:44 AM   #6
S58King
Second Lieutenant
Rep

just for anyone to know the o2 sensor was cut open and was shorting my module replaced both all good now.
Appreciate 1
Jon H396.50
      05-09-2024, 08:58 PM   #7
DRAGM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS

I took my ‘24 M3 CS to the track its been the 11th track day with the car. After the second session everything seemed good, when i turned the car on for the 3 session the CEL was on.

I went home and used bimmer link to read faulty codes and there were a bunch of error codes I used the app to clear them and these 5 remained as well as the CEL.

12 Digital Motor Electronics
5 errors
12B102: Lambda probel heating bank1, control: short circuit to ground
1D2402: Map thermostat, control: short circuit to ground
12B304: Lambda probe 2 heating, bank 1, control: open circuit
12B104: Lambda probe 1 heating, bank 1, control: open circuit
1D2404: Map thermostat, control: line break

Only mods are AA catted downpipes, AA single midpipe which I installed back in November last year.

Took the car to BMW and they said all wiring was intact but the Integrated Supply Module was faulty. They ordered one and installed it after turning the car ON it blew it again. So now they will change the O2 sensor and install a new ISM. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

Im still scratching my head as to why it got damaged in the first place. Car has 6200 miles.

Last edited by DRAGM3; 05-09-2024 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 10:30 AM   #8
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGM3 View Post
I took my ‘24 M3 CS to the track its been the 11th track day with the car. After the second session everything seemed good, when i turned the car on for the 3 session the CEL was on.

I went home and used bimmer link to read faulty codes and there were a bunch of error codes I used the app to clear them and these 5 remained as well as the CEL.

12 Digital Motor Electronics
5 errors
12B102: Lambda probel heating bank1, control: short circuit to ground
1D2402: Map thermostat, control: short circuit to ground
12B304: Lambda probe 2 heating, bank 1, control: open circuit
12B104: Lambda probe 1 heating, bank 1, control: open circuit
1D2404: Map thermostat, control: line break

Only mods are AA catted downpipes, AA single midpipe which I installed back in November last year.

Took the car to BMW and they said all wiring was intact but the Integrated Supply Module was faulty. They ordered one and installed it after turning the car ON it blew it again. So now they will change the O2 sensor and install a new ISM. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

Im still scratching my head as to why it got damaged in the first place. Car has 6200 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S58King View Post
just for anyone to know the o2 sensor was cut open and was shorting my module replaced both all good now.
Did you damage one of the O2 sensors changing your downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 10:42 AM   #9
DRAGM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Not that i know. Had been running those downpipes for 5 months without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 12:08 PM   #10
SwankPeRFection
Major
Rep
Drives: S4

I know the dealership said the wiring is fine, but are you sure you didn’t cook off some wiring somewhere in the harness or a plug that goes to both sensors on bank 1? It is possible that a bad heater element in either sensor to blow the power producing component up in that chain, but I don’t know if that module controls power for the heater circuits for all 4 sensors or what. You’d think once it’s blown it would show heater circuit issues for both banks and all 4 sensors and not just one bank.

I dunno, track time and resting after sessions and repeating just screams melted shit to me. Mind you, if you’re shutting it down without running the engine for at least a couple of min at no load will cause the O2 sensors to be extremely hot and not be able to cool off quicker with idle or slow driving exhaust gasses going over it. This has been known to cause the complete head of an O2 to just get so hot it breaks off and that will throw a heater circuit malfunction for the respective bank.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 02:15 PM   #11
DRAGM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Usually open the hood of the car and apply bump stop , leave car running 15-20 min before turning off and thats been regular practice every track day.

They will be changing O2 sensor and ISM and then re check.

Good thing is that its being covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 04:28 AM   #12
DRAGM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Posting this for future users in case they run with the same problem.

After taking the car to BMW and a few hours of testing the wiring for any defects and grounding issues , installing a new IVM module and blowing the fuse, so more testing which eventually showed that the problem was the aftermarket AA DP that was reportedly installed wrong/became loose twisting and jamming the sensor into one of the Turbo bolts causing it to misfire which ultimately lead to the IVM malfunction.

Since the DP were installed months ago and car went through 10 track days im guessing what happened was that the bolts became loose at the connection of Bank 1 and also were loose in the connection with the midpipe.

Because it was related to an aftermarket installation BMW did not cover it under warranty so a was charged a hefty amount for labor.

For future DP installers, should keep attention to the bolts and ensure a proper inspection before doing any track activity.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 08:43 AM   #13
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:

After taking the car to BMW and a few hours of testing the wiring for any defects and grounding issues , installing a new IVM module and blowing the fuse, so more testing which eventually showed that the problem was the aftermarket AA DP that was reportedly installed wrong/became loose twisting and jamming the sensor into one of the Turbo bolts causing it to misfire which ultimately lead to the IVM malfunction.

Since the DP were installed months ago and car went through 10 track days im guessing what happened was that the bolts became loose at the connection of Bank 1 and also were loose in the connection with the midpipe.

Because it was related to an aftermarket installation BMW did not cover it under warranty so a was charged a hefty amount for labor.

For future DP installers, should keep attention to the bolts and ensure a proper inspection before doing any track activity.
Looks like I was right unfortunately. Sorry to hear but at least you got it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 03:18 PM   #14
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:

I always mark my bolts takes 2 seconds and makes it so easy to see if anything things becoming loose.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 03:25 PM   #15
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
How did you NOT get a CEL with no tune?

I loved my BM3 days on the F series M cars. But I would be terrifed to slap a tune or DP's on a CS.
      05-15-2024, 03:37 PM   #16
SwankPeRFection
Major
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
How did you NOT get a CEL with no tune?

I loved my BM3 days on the F series M cars. But I would be terrifed to slap a tune or DP's on a CS.
AA downpipes have GESI CATs in them. Those don’t set a CEL.

And why would you be scared to tune a CS? You know it’s the same engine, right? Hell, Stage1 BM3 OTS maps make more than factory CSL/CS tunes. 🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 03:41 PM   #17
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
AA downpipes have GESI CATs in them. Those don’t set a CEL.
Ah! Sport cats! I should have known.

I used soul performance sport cats on my last 992 and had zero issues. Totally forgot about sport cats. Im so use to catless or stock cats.