forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Second time for check engine light

08-05-2023, 09:58 AM   #1
TKSH
Rep
Drives: '23 XM & 911, '24 392 & RS7

Unhappy Second time for check engine light

Good morning. I'm a lurker, just registered this morning after a new issue came to pass yesterday, disappointingly.

The XM was always the BMW I was waiting for, that aggressive, chunky, masculine mean looking thing that (for me) BMW never seemed to have. So all of these issues are sort of heartbreaking b/c I do love the car. I was the first to buy it in my state (AZ).

-Of course I bought at full MSRP (yay now that it's discounted)
-My dealership has pulled all their inventory right now (other dealerships in the area still have them out but not mine)
-Check engine light went on AS I WAS PULLING IN to the dealership for 1200 mile service. It was some sort of cap that prevents the hybrid battery from overheating? Normally it would have taken 14 days, but my SA found one at an other dealership & got to me. So my car was there for 2 days.
-Yesterday, the light came on again. SA says bring the car in, I ask if it's safe to drive there (about 45 min), she says her shop foreman needs to remote into the car to see what's going on. I've yet to hear about that. I'm not....optimistic.

Other issues:

-The car jerks ridiculously in M2/ Sport mode from 1-2 gear, like a bucking horse. It's really embarrassing on the road.
-The ventilated seats are a joke. They do literally nothing.
-When the car is plugged in, it will be "on" in the garage sometimes randomly and it gets very very very hot & needs to then ventilate itself (SA said this is fine, ummmm ok)
-and now the check engine light for the 2nd time

I have 2100 miles on the car despite having it since April (have other cars to drive).

I was a little apprehensive to post b/c doing so made it all true. But after seeing others' issues, I'm afraid it's time to get into reality on this one.
Appreciate 2
mikerx5463.00
      08-05-2023, 12:03 PM   #2
Stealth_BMW
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Garage List
2024 BMW XM  [0.00]
2023 BMW IX  [0.00]
Please let me know what the dealer tells you about this specific part below.

“-The car jerks ridiculously in M2/ Sport mode from 1-2 gear, like a bucking horse.
It's really embarrassing on the road.”

Mine does this exact thing and it’s really disappointing. What’s the point of the power if you can’t really use it properly. I do have a feeling the transmission will give up.

2022 X6 M50i
2023 IX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 10:29 PM   #3
TKSH
Rep

Will def update this post with any info about that one...I wondered as well that that bucking was going to do to the transmission.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2023, 12:45 PM   #4
TKSH
Rep

So far here's the diagnosis. Same issue as last time, despite replacing a hard-to-find part.

"The faults for the check engine light were the same faults as last time for the high voltage battery refrigerant shut off valve. Since we replaced it last visit, we have submitted a case to BMW and are waiting to hear back from them. They will go back and forth with the tech to check multiple things until they let us know what to do so I may not have an answer by the end of the day as this process can sometimes take a little bit. As soon as I have an update on what we are going to be doing, I will let you know!"
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 01:13 PM   #5
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKSH View Post
So far here's the diagnosis. Same issue as last time, despite replacing a hard-to-find part.

"The faults for the check engine light were the same faults as last time for the high voltage battery refrigerant shut off valve. Since we replaced it last visit, we have submitted a case to BMW and are waiting to hear back from them. They will go back and forth with the tech to check multiple things until they let us know what to do so I may not have an answer by the end of the day as this process can sometimes take a little bit. As soon as I have an update on what we are going to be doing, I will let you know!"
Maybe start researching on Lemon or seek major compensation for downtime with BMWNA
Appreciate 1
TKSH30.00
      08-08-2023, 04:27 PM   #6
TKSH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
Maybe start researching on Lemon or seek major compensation for downtime with BMWNA
Thank you for this. That’s what I’ve been doing the last couple of days. There are a few other threads out there (for other models) with this exact issue that are into lemon territory. When it happened the 2nd time, not only did I think, uh-oh, this isn’t going to be good, but also that I’m not sure I can have 100% confidence in this car going forward. Not sure I’m happy with the decision to go hybrid …

Last edited by TKSH; 08-08-2023 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 05:48 PM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

TKSH I had that CEL twice, based on my observation, it only happened whenever I charged the car short period of time.
I have been driving it couple weeks without charging it and it hasn't comes back yet.
Another thing, I rarely drive in hybrid mode. I only on hybrid mode whenever I am leaving the house super early and coming home pretty late.

Is it the same case with you?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
TKSH30.00
      08-08-2023, 06:16 PM   #8
Stealth_BMW
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW XM  [0.00]
2023 BMW IX  [0.00]
[QUOTE="r33_RGSport;30382609"]TKSH I had that CEL twice, based on my observation, it only happened whenever I charged the car short period of time.
I have been driving it couple weeks without charging it and it hasn't comes back yet.
Another thing, I rarely drive in hybrid mode. I only on hybrid mode whenever I am leaving the house super early and coming home pretty late.

This would defeat the whole purpose of having a hybrid vehicle. I haven’t had a check engine come on and stay on since the break-in service but I have low confidence in this car. Specially with the jerkiness when trying to haul ass.

2022 X6 M50i
2023 IX xDrive50
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12978.00
TKSH30.00
      08-08-2023, 06:46 PM   #9
TKSH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
TKSH I had that CEL twice, based on my observation, it only happened whenever I charged the car short period of time.

I have never driven in hybrid mode and haven't charged the car in 2 months?? Meaning, it's stayed fully charged as I never use the hybrid.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12978.00
      08-08-2023, 06:47 PM   #10
TKSH
Rep

[QUOTE=Stealth_BMW;30382710]
Quote:

This would defeat the whole purpose of having a hybrid vehicle. I haven’t had a check engine come on and stay on since the break-in service but I have low confidence in this car. Specially with the jerkiness when trying to haul ass.
That is on the order, the jerkiness. I can see from the trip tracker that they drove it 11 miles yesterday, probably trying to replicate that.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12978.00
      08-08-2023, 07:08 PM   #11
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Stealth_BMW;30382710]
Quote:

I think the plug-in hybrid purpose on XM is not so much about saving gas. It is V8TT afterall.
I have been running gas mostly because I want a real "engine" break-in miles.

Jerkiness wise, I have yet to feel it.
I only felt it when I turn-on the cold engine mid drive on battery.
Appreciate 1
TKSH30.00
      08-08-2023, 07:30 PM   #12
rccarps2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 XM and 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Thank you for this. That’s what I’ve been doing the last couple of days. There are a few other threads out there (for other models) with this exact issue that are into lemon territory. When it happened the 2nd time, not only did I think, uh-oh, this isn’t going to be good, but also that I’m not sure I can have 100% confidence in this car going forward. Not sure I’m happy with the decision to go hybrid …
Mine is getting swapped out for a new XM, tomorrow. Today is 19 days at the dealer I think. The moment you mention lemon, the dealer and BMWNA aren't going to work with you, IMO.

Not sure what your states law is, but PA is 30 days cumulative in the first year. I politely mentioned a few times to BMWNA and my dealer that time is running out. They were very responsive in working with me for something new. Majority of the work was done by the dealer with BMWNA just signing off on the swap.

BMWNA did offer compensation if I waited for the part I need (which would have put my in the 5-8ish week range), but they require you waiving your rights to hold them accountable for any service time prior to when it gets fixed. That was a hard pass for me.

If you think you have leverage and want to get into a new XM, just start the discussion with your service manager for a subsitution of collateral.
      08-08-2023, 08:09 PM   #13
TKSH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarps2 View Post
Mine is getting swapped out for a new XM, tomorrow. Today is 19 days at the dealer I think. The moment you mention lemon, the dealer and BMWNA aren't going to work with you, IMO.

Not sure what your states law is, but PA is 30 days cumulative in the first year. I politely mentioned a few times to BMWNA and my dealer that time is running out. They were very responsive in working with me for something new. Majority of the work was done by the dealer with BMWNA just signing off on the swap.

BMWNA did offer compensation if I waited for the part I need (which would have put my in the 5-8ish week range), but they require you waiving your rights to hold them accountable for any service time prior to when it gets fixed. That was a hard pass for me.

If you think you have leverage and want to get into a new XM, just start the discussion with your service manager for a subsitution of collateral.
So saying the dreaded "L" word to them probably is tantamount to saying "I want my lawyer" in the interrogation room. I did let my SA know when I dropped off the car that I was well aware there were some pretty significant issues w/ the XM, and that my expectation was not that this was a quick fix. She was relieved by that I think, but also aware that I was aware that the scope might grow in terms of a solution. We will see. I've spent 300k with them in 10 months, and they've been amazing, so hopefully they will stay that way.

I am so glad yours is getting swapped out. I LOVE my XM, and am fine with that being swapped out (hell I will just order the label at 744 hp) but I think the distrust will remain for a bit with some of the erratic issues they're having.

AZ law is 30 days in the shop first 2 years, or I think 6x back at the dealership for the same issue?? With the first time & this time we are at 5 days, soon to grow I am sure...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 09:25 PM   #14
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

My X5 50e had its CEL on again a few days not even 200 miles after replacing the valve... same part, same issue
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 10:13 PM   #15
TKSH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
My X5 50e had its CEL on again a few days not even 200 miles after replacing the valve... same part, same issue
Darn! What's the prognosis?? Or have they said yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 12:15 AM   #16
TKSH
Rep

Update from my SA. Not sure what to think??

"BMW had us replace the same valve as last visit. The tech is thinking its an updated part. We were also able to get the programming recall taking care of. We will be test driving it all day today and putting it through a few drive and sleep cycles to make sure everything is good.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 04:20 PM   #17
TKSH
Rep

They replaced the same valve. Picked up the car day before yesteday and drove home. Drove out of town 2 hours to one of my other homes. Out running errands today. CEL came on AGAIN. 3rd time. For reference 1st was about 1600 ODO, 2nd 2000 ODO, 3rd 2300 ODO. So pissed.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 07:10 PM   #18
TKSH
Rep

Have now opened a case w/ BMW, it has already escalated to Corp. Have yet to be assigned a case manager. Shop foreman called yesterday after me driving the car in for the 3rd time for the CEL. Said the replacement valve clearly isn't the issue, they don't know what the issue is, it's not just XM's. They are ordering the part that is the sensor for that valve to "see" if that might be the issue. That part will take well over a month. In the meantime they will drive it a bunch and test it. BMW is using my car as a test car to throw all sorts of scenarios in to see what might fix the issue, as it's pretty widespread. So now, 100% sure I will be without my car for over a month. And they still actually have no idea what is wrong w/ it. It's def the valve for the hybrid battery, but I've told them I never drove this car in hybrid mode, not once. Only M1/M2. They were like ohhhhhh wow. Ok. My SA gave me the GM's direct line, I left a long message, he has yet to call me back either. I told them I'd be flexible, but I didn't want the car back until it was fixed. I certainly didn't mean THIS flexible. Thoughts???
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12978.00
      08-17-2023, 09:45 PM   #19
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have now opened a case w/ BMW, it has already escalated to Corp. Have yet to be assigned a case manager. Shop foreman called yesterday after me driving the car in for the 3rd time for the CEL. Said the replacement valve clearly isn't the issue, they don't know what the issue is, it's not just XM's. They are ordering the part that is the sensor for that valve to "see" if that might be the issue. That part will take well over a month. In the meantime they will drive it a bunch and test it. BMW is using my car as a test car to throw all sorts of scenarios in to see what might fix the issue, as it's pretty widespread. So now, 100% sure I will be without my car for over a month. And they still actually have no idea what is wrong w/ it. It's def the valve for the hybrid battery, but I've told them I never drove this car in hybrid mode, not once. Only M1/M2. They were like ohhhhhh wow. Ok. My SA gave me the GM's direct line, I left a long message, he has yet to call me back either. I told them I'd be flexible, but I didn't want the car back until it was fixed. I certainly didn't mean THIS flexible. Thoughts???
Wow, that’s sucks.
I haven’t gotten any of the CEL back since I stop charging.
Even dyno-ed the car today with RaceChip GTS Black, it runs strong.
Hopefully BMW will take a good care of your situation and solves it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 07:28 PM   #20
Stealth_BMW
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW XM  [0.00]
2023 BMW IX  [0.00]
My XM went into limp mode for the second time today. Somehow the transmission confused itself and wouldn’t shift at a red light. Car threw an error stating I can’t drive the car for safety reasons. After turning off the car and turning it back on (at the green light, EMBARRASSING) the vehicle drove normal again.

I have a feeling this is indicative of a major issue coming to fruition. Also I didn’t get a CEL which is odd.

2022 X6 M50i
2023 IX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 12:37 AM   #21
TKSH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_BMW View Post
My XM went into limp mode for the second time today. Somehow the transmission confused itself and wouldn’t shift at a red light. Car threw an error stating I can’t drive the car for safety reasons. After turning off the car and turning it back on (at the green light, EMBARRASSING) the vehicle drove normal again.

I have a feeling this is indicative of a major issue coming to fruition. Also I didn’t get a CEL which is odd.
There are so many issues going on, it’s hard to keep up. My case has been assigned a case manager & I spoke with my dealership’s GM today. He could not have been more helpful. He will escalate & request me out of the car. Either move back to an X5MC or refund in total.

My car is at the house of the shop foreman now, who is driving it a bunch. I believe bmw is using my car as a test vehicle for all these random things. I will know more next week, but I did NOT request an XM as a replacement. I’m done. For now.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 10:42 AM   #22
TKSH
Rep

Just an update for anyone following this. They were able to get that part sooner than expected, it's the sensor control for that CEL for the valve. They replaced it, and, per my suggestion, drove the car 200 miles. Sure enough, at 200 miles, the error code went on again. Car is back sitting at the dealership while I guess upper level corp engineers pontificate on what they could try next.

16 days so far in the shop.

I've spoken with the GM, he's great. Shop manager is great. BMW customer relations is aloof, and despite my having been assigned a case manager who comes across as smarmy and condescending, I feel even less supported now.

Was supposed to hear back in a few days (from Monday) and case manager doesn't respond (I sent an email & left a VM).

What's sad is that this is turning me against BMW as a whole.

Not sure when to get a lawyer engaged. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0