Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions PDC failure when sensors sitting in extended direct sunlight

05-11-2024, 10:03 PM   #1
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

PDC failure when sensors sitting in extended direct sunlight

I've been having this intermittent issue with my new to me m340i, where the PDC sensors (parking sensors) fail to work intermittently.

I've seem to have isolated the conditions that causes the failure.

If the rear of the car gets cooked in sunlight for an extended period, that seems to cause the failure to occur.

I've taken the car to the dealer over the issue, and they were unable to repro. I don't fault them, it was very intermittent, but now that we've had a small heat wave (if you can call it that), it seems to be happening all the time.

Question is, does anybody know what exactly is the root cause of this? Could one of the sensors be on its way out, and the heat pushes it over the edge?

Any information I can feed to the dealer to help them arrive at a fix? I can probably go back to them with the heat as the culprit, but I want to have my ducks in a row in terms of info to speed them to resolution.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 01:44 PM   #2
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Would think its a bad connection and the expansion caused by the heat is resulting in a connection being broken somewhere.
Appreciate 0