Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Can I Run Wireless Charging Cable to Center Console USB-C or Hardwire?

Yesterday, 10:39 AM   #1
dman918
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i x-drive m-sport

Can I Run Wireless Charging Cable to Center Console USB-C or Hardwire?

Hi,

I am looking to run a USB-c cable from the wireless tray up by the cup holders to the center console under the arm rest. Does anyone know how to remove the side plastic so that I can run the cable? I know how to remove the cupholders and the top trim by the shifter, but it looks like I need to run it along one of the sides of the center console to get back there. If anyone has any advice or help, I would appreciate it.

Alternatively, could I hardwire a female USB-C cable to the existing cigarette lighter at the cup holders?

2021 G20 330i btw.

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited by dman918; Yesterday at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #2
G22b58
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

If I'm guessing correctly that you want to charge a USB-C device with a cable in the "wireless charging trey", you will need a 12V-to-USB-C charger if you want to connect to the 12V socket. You can hardwire the charger to the 12V outlet. Just remember to not load the 12V socket with high current at the same time.
With a suitable charger you can get more than 15W charging power, which is the maximum if you run a USB-C cable from under the armrest (or backseats outlet). Can't help with the cable run.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:43 PM   #3
dman918
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
If I'm guessing correctly that you want to charge a USB-C device with a cable in the "wireless charging trey", you will need a 12V-to-USB-C charger if you want to connect to the 12V socket. You can hardwire the charger to the 12V outlet. Just remember to not load the 12V socket with high current at the same time.
With a suitable charger you can get more than 15W charging power, which is the maximum if you run a USB-C cable from under the armrest (or backseats outlet). Can't help with the cable run.
Thanks for this. Yes, I figure I could potentially just tap into the 12V outlet and use that, especially since I will not otherwise use the cigarette lighter. However, then that means adapters and such. I suppose I could go with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Maixbomr-Pigt...34&sr=8-4&th=1

Or would this have to convert from 12v to 5v? So then I would need to almost run a female cigarette lighter, then male cigarette lighter with 5v usb-c input like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074CT5CSN...CPAJKZ41PRVKD5

PLUS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W1SVT1L...ing=UTF8&psc=1

My USB-C wireless charger has a long enough cord so I was hoping I could just get clean access into the center console armrest and plug in there, but a splice would work if I can't navigate the cable to the armrest. It almost seems like I need to take the entire center section to get it to navigate properly. Hoping someone else has done this and can chime in on that option as well.

Last edited by dman918; Yesterday at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #4
G22b58
Lieutenant
Rep

Your wireless charger, with a USB-C cable, probably needs/wants to use the features (more power) of USB-C so you need the USB-C charger. Not a bare cable.
If you can connect 12V wires to the (inside) of the charger, and know how to solder you can skip the "cigarette lighter socket".

Otherwise, the cable run to the armrest is preferable, but that USB-C outlet is not "PD" capable if that is what you need. Maybe 5V is enough?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:23 PM   #5
dman918
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Your wireless charger, with a USB-C cable, probably needs/wants to use the features (more power) of USB-C so you need the USB-C charger. Not a bare cable.
If you can connect 12V wires to the (inside) of the charger, and know how to solder you can skip the "cigarette lighter socket".

Otherwise, the cable run to the armrest is preferable, but that USB-C outlet is not "PD" capable if that is what you need. Maybe 5V is enough?
My goal is to get a fast charge. I bought a Qi2 charger and my iphone 16 comes tomorrow. This is the charger I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/ESR-HaloLock-...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Just looking for the best way to connect it. If this charger is overboard or the wrong one, I can still exchange it for a standard qi one as well. I assume either way the USB-A in the front by the cupholders isn't going to cut it, hence why I am not looking at USB-A chargers. Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #6
chriskd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M340i

I did a similar project when I had a ‘22 M340, using a MagSafe charger and tapping into the 12v under the cup holders.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #7
dman918
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskd View Post
I did a similar project when I had a ‘22 M340, using a MagSafe charger and tapping into the 12v under the cup holders.
This is what I would look to do. How did you tap into it and was it just a simple red and black wire tap under the cup holder? Did you drill a hole to run the wire in the back of the tray to get underneath everything?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:40 PM   #8
chriskd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman918 View Post
This is what I would look to do. How did you tap into it and was it just a simple red and black wire tap under the cup holder?
Yes. Honestly, I probably made it much more complicated than it needed to be. Preface this by saying I didn’t have an existing wireless charger. So my tray area was recessed below the cup holders.

- Drilled a hole in the plastic tray to feed MagSafe cable under under cup holders to the 12v outlet.

- Installed an aftermarket wireless charging pad to bring the tray area flush with the cup holders (didn’t connect it to power). Put a small notch at the back of it to accommodate the MagSafe cable.

- Secured MagSafe charger to the center of the aftermarket charging pad with automotive 3M tape.

- Used T tap wire connectors to connect female cigarette lighter plug.

- Plugged cigarette lighter USB-C plug to the female cigarette lighter socket.

- Plugged MagSafe charger to cigarette lighter plug.

Everything was tie wrapped and tucked underneath the cupholders.

Attaching pics of products similar to what I used.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dman91880.50
      Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #9
dman918
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskd View Post
Yes. Honestly, I probably made it much more complicated than it needed to be. Preface this by saying I didn’t have an existing wireless charger. So my tray area was recessed below the cup holders.

- Drilled a hole in the plastic tray to feed MagSafe cable under under cup holders to the 12v outlet.

- Installed an aftermarket wireless charging pad to bring the tray area flush with the cup holders (didn’t connect it to power). Put a small notch at the back of it to accommodate the MagSafe cable.

- Secured MagSafe charger to the center of the aftermarket charging pad with automotive 3M tape.

- Used T tap wire connectors to connect female cigarette lighter plug.

- Plugged cigarette lighter USB-C plug to the female cigarette lighter socket.

- Plugged MagSafe charger to cigarette lighter plug.

Everything was tie wrapped and tucked underneath the cupholders.

Attaching pics of products similar to what I used.

Thank you so much for this. This is a great option I will do if I can't route the cable to the center console.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:45 PM   #10
G22b58
Lieutenant
Rep

Since you already got the Qi2 charger, connect it to the USB-C outlet in the car to check that you get a charging time in line with what you expect (15W). The USB-C outlet in the car is specified to max 15W, so I would expect that the Qi2 charger would need more to charge the phone with 15W, unless the 15W refers to input power.
Appreciate 1
dman91880.50
      Today, 03:31 AM   #11
dman918
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Since you already got the Qi2 charger, connect it to the USB-C outlet in the car to check that you get a charging time in line with what you expect (15W). The USB-C outlet in the car is specified to max 15W, so I would expect that the Qi2 charger would need more to charge the phone with 15W, unless the 15W refers to input power.
Thank you. Would I get more power and better suited doing above instead then by tapping into the cigarette lighter at the cup holder? I certainly could do that rather than feed to the existing usb-c if it's limited. I don't need every last ounce of power though either. Just figured I'd maximize it if I could since I was buying the stuff anyway.
Appreciate 0