Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340 vs Model 3 Performance

01-12-2022, 09:33 PM   #23
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

I drove a M3p. Blew me away how fast it accelerates. Crazy.

But the interior dash is ikea. No way am I trading the awesome interior of my m340i for the Tesla interior. No way.
      01-12-2022, 10:30 PM   #24
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Dual motor is closer to m340i performance wise but even that will pull on the m340 at least initially.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 11:52 PM   #25
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Dual motor is closer to m340i performance wise but even that will pull on the m340 at least initially.
As evidenced in this thread, people talk about how wickedly fast the M3P is, but the quarter mile trap speeds ~115mph and the autobahn 100-200kph top-end pulls ~11.5s tell the truth that it’s actual acceleration potential is just about the same as the M340i and not even in the same ballpark as the F80/G80 M3 competition. The trick is that in a head’s up race, it’s the instant surge of torque that puts the car instantly ahead and keeps it ahead so it will always win the race.

In actual real world driving situations, I live in the Bay Area and I’m literally surrounded by thousands of dual motor/performance model 3’s and Model Y’s that regularly cross my path. Most of them are hypermiling and have bald tires haha… not a very hardcore group of owners from what I can tell. And in my experience, if I get the jump and I don’t let up, they can’t catch up and they won’t bother to chase when they realize my car pulls just about as hard. Likewise, I’m not trying to play catch-up and chase if they get the jump (if they want to be in front of me that bad, so be it). So yes, the model 3’s are faster, but not “I should have bought that instead” faster. Consider a G80 X-drive if you want to troll M3P’s and most model S’s.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2022, 10:42 PM   #26
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
As evidenced in this thread, people talk about how wickedly fast the M3P is, but the quarter mile trap speeds ~115mph and the autobahn 100-200kph top-end pulls ~11.5s tell the truth that it’s actual acceleration potential is just about the same as the M340i and not even in the same ballpark as the F80/G80 M3 competition. The trick is that in a head’s up race, it’s the instant surge of torque that puts the car instantly ahead and keeps it ahead so it will always win the race.

In actual real world driving situations, I live in the Bay Area and I’m literally surrounded by thousands of dual motor/performance model 3’s and Model Y’s that regularly cross my path. Most of them are hypermiling and have bald tires haha… not a very hardcore group of owners from what I can tell. And in my experience, if I get the jump and I don’t let up, they can’t catch up and they won’t bother to chase when they realize my car pulls just about as hard. Likewise, I’m not trying to play catch-up and chase if they get the jump (if they want to be in front of me that bad, so be it). So yes, the model 3’s are faster, but not “I should have bought that instead” faster. Consider a G80 X-drive if you want to troll M3P’s and most model S’s.
So on a roll... Our M340i's could hang with M3DM?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 11:12 PM   #27
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340i Pride View Post
So on a roll... Our M340i's could hang with M3DM?
Hang? Yes, if you get the jump and get ahead of one before it has a chance to jump forward with that instant torque, it will not be able to overtake… but in a heads up race, such as at a stoplight or on a rolling horn honk where both cars go at the same time, there’s no chance in hell.

The point I’m trying to make is that if you’re driving aggressively and you’re trying to overtake other cars on the road, including M3P’s and DM’s, you’ll find that they’re not fast enough to interfere with your desire to overtake. The actual acceleration potential of both cars is almost identical (as evidenced by quarter mile trap speeds and 100-200kph gps results). so if you’re already going faster at wide open throttle, a model3 can’t magically go faster than you.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12796.50
      01-14-2022, 12:09 AM   #28
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'd never consider a Tesla 3 personally
The interior just looks cheap and the ergonomics are rubbish with that iPad stuck in the middle that you have to take your eyes off the road to do anything.
I respect Tesla for what they have done with the batteries, the charging network and have safe bodies.
I would never buy one though as the styling is bland and tha interior is just horrendous

Each to their own though
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 05:46 AM   #29
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
The interior just looks cheap and the ergonomics are rubbish with that iPad stuck in the middle that you have to take your eyes off the road to do anything.
I respect Tesla for what they have done with the batteries, the charging network and have safe bodies.
I would never buy one though as the styling is bland and tha interior is just horrendous

Each to their own though
This!!!

I feel if you tell me you will give my m340i the torque of a Tesla in exchange for a screen in the dash, I would say NO THANKS.
      01-14-2022, 09:47 AM   #30
Snoopy8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw328i xdrive

In my opinion having both cars, MY21 m340i rwd and MY22 Model 3 dual motor its not even a comparison. They serve 2 different purpose. Model 3 is an appliance, it does what it needs to do. The m340i is a car that you wanna have fun with. They both have pros and cons. If you want to have a bored relax driving i.e commuting to work i'll take the model3. For fun driving like canyon carving ill take the m340. I'll compare it to watching sports( live and at my couch) the model 3 is like watching a game at the comfort of your house, you enjoy watching but your missing the feeling. The m340 is like watching the game inside the arena, you feel it and enjoy it. Just my thoughts
Appreciate 3
      01-14-2022, 10:28 AM   #31
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy8 View Post
In my opinion having both cars, MY21 m340i rwd and MY22 Model 3 dual motor its not even a comparison. They serve 2 different purpose. Model 3 is an appliance, it does what it needs to do. The m340i is a car that you wanna have fun with. They both have pros and cons. If you want to have a bored relax driving i.e commuting to work i'll take the model3. For fun driving like canyon carving ill take the m340. I'll compare it to watching sports( live and at my couch) the model 3 is like watching a game at the comfort of your house, you enjoy watching but your missing the feeling. The m340 is like watching the game inside the arena, you feel it and enjoy it. Just my thoughts
Can you stand the lack of physical controls on the Tesla? Your input would be interesting since you have. It's car types.
      01-14-2022, 10:36 AM   #32
Snoopy8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
Quote:
Can you stand the lack of physical controls on the Tesla? Your input would be interesting since you have. It's car types.
Nope. It takes a lot of time getting used to. And its specially hard to navigate to the controls when you're driving something i can do on the m340 on the fly with actual buttons. But once you set your settings on the model 3 its good for what its is. I specially like the easy entry feature on the model 3 something the m340 i have to yet find on how to code. I have lower back issues as well and the model 3's seats are more comfortable than my m340. Ill but it as, the model 3 is like sitting in a plush couch while the m340 is like sitting on a bench with some cushions. Lol
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      01-14-2022, 10:42 AM   #33
Snoopy8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Each to their own though
It looks cheap but doesn't feel cheap. The wood trim on the dash is actual wood when you touch it. The seats have more cushion and comfortable than the my m340. But i agree with you on the screen. You have to take your eyes of the road to manuveur to the settings but their voice control is on point.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 11:11 AM   #34
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Quote:

Each to their own though
It looks cheap but doesn't feel cheap. The wood trim on the dash is actual wood when you touch it. The seats have more cushion and comfortable than the my m340. But i agree with you on the screen. You have to take your eyes of the road to manuveur to the settings but their voice control is on point.
How about having no instrument cluster… is it difficult to keep an eye on your current speed?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #35
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
How about having no instrument cluster… is it difficult to keep an eye on your current speed?
Doesn't it have HUD?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 11:24 AM   #36
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Doesn't it have HUD?
No, everything is on the screen.
      01-14-2022, 11:41 AM   #37
Snoopy8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Each to their own though
Monitoring the speed is not an issue even if you dont have a dash. The speed display is in the upper left corner of the screen. Its basically inline of a glance when you check the passenger side mirror
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 12:18 PM   #38
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

Quote:

Each to their own though
We were talking about strictly acceleration. Obviously, there is more to a car than just straight up acceleration. That is why all of us here have M340i, not the Model 3. We all could have gotten 1 if we wanted to since it is cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 12:19 PM   #39
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

I drove the Model 3P before I got the M340i.
There's no comparison. Model 3 feels and drives like a lower class car. Every single driving related thing is a significantly worst experience in comparison with M340i.
The seating position, steering, breaking, comfort, suspension, balance...
Let alone M340i, I'd definitely take a Golf GTI over Model 3 every time.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2022, 12:20 PM   #40
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Hang? Yes, if you get the jump and get ahead of one before it has a chance to jump forward with that instant torque, it will not be able to overtake… but in a heads up race, such as at a stoplight or on a rolling horn honk where both cars go at the same time, there’s no chance in hell.

The point I’m trying to make is that if you’re driving aggressively and you’re trying to overtake other cars on the road, including M3P’s and DM’s, you’ll find that they’re not fast enough to interfere with your desire to overtake. The actual acceleration potential of both cars is almost identical (as evidenced by quarter mile trap speeds and 100-200kph gps results). so if you’re already going faster at wide open throttle, a model3 can’t magically go faster than you.
So if i am understanding you correctly, what you are describing is the "sucker punch" race?

Dude, i would not even call that a race.

Even then, I fully expect the M3P will pass you instantly unless the race was from 60-70mph cuz i am not sure how many car lengths you could jump on a M3P.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #41
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
No, everything is on the screen.
Got it. Just underscores one of the reasons I do not want one. It would drive me crazy having to look at the f'n iPad for EVERYTHING.
Appreciate 2
Burrcold5315.00
gnolivos319.00
      01-14-2022, 01:34 PM   #42
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Got it. Just underscores one of the reasons I do not want one. It would drive me crazy having to look at the f'n iPad for EVERYTHING.
Yup... for someone who is used to HUD, i even find looking at my gauge annoying, let alone the Ipad to my right.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 01:58 PM   #43
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I could not only have the one screen either. The Model S at least has a traditional digital gauge cluster PLUS the huge iPad lol.
TiMSport12796.50
gnolivos319.00
      01-14-2022, 03:13 PM   #44
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Speed aside, the crap fit & finish is what keeps me away from Tesla. They haven't yet figured out how to ramp up production while producing a quality long-term machine.

Every friend I've had who's owned a Tesla, of any type, has had issues with them.

I can't say the same for the BMWs I've owned.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0