Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Warning when changing micro filter!!!

09-27-2023, 08:53 AM   #1
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Warning when changing micro filter!!!

Found this. ALWAYS put in recirculating before changing the cabin micro filter!!!
Attached Images

03-31-2024, 06:55 PM   #2
Barry A. Waters
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i Coupe Base

This is good info to have. Does it imply that you need to have the car running and in recirculation mode when you replace the filter or can you shut the car off once it's in recirculation mode and then replace the filter?

The reason I ask is that some systems have 'home' positions for flaps like these on power down and then revert to last setting positions when powered up again. If you shut the car down the potential exists for the flaps to move to such a 'home' position, I.E. away from whatever recirculation position it may have been set to when running.

Barry
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 10:06 PM   #3
itsTelly
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry A. Waters View Post
This is good info to have. Does it imply that you need to have the car running and in recirculation mode when you replace the filter or can you shut the car off once it's in recirculation mode and then replace the filter?

The reason I ask is that some systems have 'home' positions for flaps like these on power down and then revert to last setting positions when powered up again. If you shut the car down the potential exists for the flaps to move to such a 'home' position, I.E. away from whatever recirculation position it may have been set to when running.

Barry
I recently changed the cabin filter and just turn on accessories mode with the lowest air speed and had no issue.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2024, 03:46 PM   #4
Barry A. Waters
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i Coupe Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsTelly View Post
I recently changed the cabin filter and just turn on accessories mode with the lowest air speed and had no issue.
That's sounds good enough for me. Reading my manual (I'm new to BMW) it looks like 'Standby State' is the actual term and is activated when either front door is opened from 'Idle State' which is when the car is locked and parked. I'm not making these terms up. When the car is running it's termed 'Drive-Ready State'. Man, to think they actually pay someone to come up with this terminology...

Anyway, unless you can figure out a way to change the Cabin Air Filter without opening either front door (the only kind of door I have on my 430i) you're going to be in 'Standby State' by virtue of having an open door so you can enable Recirculation and select a slow fan speed and the HVAC system would remain in that operating mode while the filter was changed. That works!

Barry
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      04-01-2024, 07:55 PM   #5
I800C0LLECT
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

I lived in Germany for 4 years. They're overly precise about everything. Don't be a syllable off either... It changes everything
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      04-18-2024, 02:36 PM   #6
MattEcho
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340xi

Yeah, this is good info. The first time I tried to change my cabin air filter I didn't do this. Luckily I didn't force it in. I just assumed the filter I had didn't fit right and I would exchange it. So I procrastinated, then came across a YT video explaining this procedure. Glad I did. Changed it out last week and it was easy. Though, why in the world would BMW do it this way, I have no idea.
Appreciate 0