Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Tweaking Harman Kardon

02-25-2022, 05:07 AM   #1
gregch
Private
Rep
Drives: G22 420i

Tweaking Harman Kardon

I was lucky enough to get a late 2021 car that does have the Harman Kardon sound system; it's nice enough but it can sound a bit "flat" or "muddy", particularly playing music from my iPhone.

Now actually I'm not a fan of exaggerated bass heavy sound, so I'm not looking for that, nor do I like the "scooped mids" sound of a cheap stereo trying to sound expensive by exaggerating the highs and lows.

So I *am* after a fairly flat EQ with a natural bass, but just a little more clarity. Is there any quick EQ tweak you've found to address this "woolliness" a little bit?

I feel like there might be an overemphasised EQ band (the EQ is currently set flat as delivered) in the lower mids somewhere that could use tweaking, but am too lazy (let's say "time poor"!) to experiment for hours if someone else has already done the work!!

I'm aware it's a subjective, personal thing and there's no substitute for doing it yourself as only you know if it sounds right to you, etc... but please humour me, if you're happy to!

Oddly the sound from the radio is perfect so maybe it's because I'm playing music from the iPhone over Bluetooth and should be plugging it in, or putting on a USB??
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 05:48 AM   #2
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregch View Post
I was lucky enough to get a late 2021 car that does have the Harman Kardon sound system; it's nice enough but it can sound a bit "flat" or "muddy", particularly playing music from my iPhone.

Now actually I'm not a fan of exaggerated bass heavy sound, so I'm not looking for that, nor do I like the "scooped mids" sound of a cheap stereo trying to sound expensive by exaggerating the highs and lows.

So I *am* after a fairly flat EQ with a natural bass, but just a little more clarity. Is there any quick EQ tweak you've found to address this "woolliness" a little bit?

I feel like there might be an overemphasised EQ band (the EQ is currently set flat as delivered) in the lower mids somewhere that could use tweaking, but am too lazy (let's say "time poor"!) to experiment for hours if someone else has already done the work!!

I'm aware it's a subjective, personal thing and there's no substitute for doing it yourself as only you know if it sounds right to you, etc... but please humour me, if you're happy to!

Oddly the sound from the radio is perfect so maybe it's because I'm playing music from the iPhone over Bluetooth and should be plugging it in, or putting on a USB??
Try this thread:

HK equalizer settings https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1624071
Appreciate 1
gregch26.50
      02-25-2022, 08:09 AM   #3
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Or maybe have your Amp checked.....there are posts where lots of folks have had them replaced under warranty.....
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 3
      02-25-2022, 08:54 AM   #4
gregch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
Quote:

Try this thread:

HK equalizer settings https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1624071
Excellent, thank you! I knew I'd seen this discussed somewhere but couldn't find it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 08:55 AM   #5
gregch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlapicki View Post
Or maybe have your Amp checked.....there are posts where lots of folks have had them replaced under warranty.....
Ah yes I'd seen something about that but I think it was resolved before our car was built so hopefully OK; thanks for the heads up tho.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 03:15 PM   #6
Carlp
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i Launch Edition

Hi there, in my personal oppinion the G20 version of the H/K system isnt as good as the F30 version. It could be the weaker "amplifier" system or the DSP eq setting thats preloaded... or a combo of both. If you think my opinion is a bit negative, I ask you to fade to your rear speakers only and tell me what you think of the sound quality that is produced. Some guys managed to improve the sound quality by means of using Bimmercode and choosing another setup file.
I havent taken the plunge as yet, I spent so much on this car, I expected a little more. The cars awesome, but the team involved with the sound should be shot and then fired.

cheers
Appreciate 1
quizly659.00
      06-01-2022, 07:59 AM   #7
jiimmmayyy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

I like my music with a lot more bass and I found that this equalizer was good enough. The bass isn't quite as strong as on the F8x but it does the job.
pej744593.00
      06-02-2022, 04:23 PM   #8
elambo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440i convertible

I can't find it at the moment but I'd posted a pic of my eq settings, which still have not changed after all this time. One of my day gigs is audio engineering (which includes things like creating ideal eq settings for studios) and I've put this system through the ringer with a slew of music genres. I also felt that the default HK sound was boomy and boring and these brought it to life. I'll see if I still have that pic hanging around.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 10:07 AM   #9
Mark3380
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I can't find it at the moment but I'd posted a pic of my eq settings, which still have not changed after all this time. One of my day gigs is audio engineering (which includes things like creating ideal eq settings for studios) and I've put this system through the ringer with a slew of music genres. I also felt that the default HK sound was boomy and boring and these brought it to life. I'll see if I still have that pic hanging around.
I was interested in trying a different setting so I went back and found it:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=107
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2022, 02:07 PM   #10
elambo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark3380 View Post

Thanks for finding that!

In addition to that eq setting, I turn off Logic 7, which is important. I also move the Front/Rear balance so that it's about 70% toward the Rear. The front speakers are too thin on their own so blending in the rears helps a lot, and even with the balance moved so far backward it doesn't actually feel as though the sound is rear-heavy. It's sounds appropriately balanced, imo.
Appreciate 3
iifymbro750.50
Geo_FF140.00
      06-06-2022, 04:42 PM   #11
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

I find that once I start driving all the bass disappear. No idea why. Physics, sound waves etc?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 04:51 PM   #12
elambo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M4 View Post
I find that once I start driving all the bass disappear. No idea why. Physics, sound waves etc?
Has this always been the case in your car?

I don't remember the exact name but there's a setting that adjusts volume with driving. I wonder if you turned that on, would the bass still go away? And if it's already on, would turning it off help?

Bass shouldn't disappear, per se, though the bass/treble balance will certainly be affected by the low frequencies of the engine coming into play and drowning out lows in the music. With that volume adjust setting, I'm just thinking that there could be a temporary glitch causing bass/mid/treble to be adjusted erroneously.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 05:29 PM   #13
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for finding that!

In addition to that eq setting, I turn off Logic 7, which is important. I also move the Front/Rear balance so that it's about 70% toward the Rear. The front speakers are too thin on their own so blending in the rears helps a lot, and even with the balance moved so far backward it doesn't actually feel as though the sound is rear-heavy. It's sounds appropriately balanced, imo.
Damn everyone gotta try this combo ^

That front/rear balance is key for the settings in that picture to work, when I first saw the equalizer I almost didn't bother trying it because of the bass being "low" but when you move the fader rearward ~70% it wakes the bass right up and it's clean/tight too. Also solved the overly bright front tweeters issue, they are really in your face and overpowering with fader set at 50%. I can run the volume significantly higher now.

I clicked bass up 1 in general settings after setting the equalizer, and can't decide on logic 7 or not, both sound good to me.

What are those two chunky speakers sitting on the rear shelf, they mids or bass?

Last edited by iifymbro; 06-06-2022 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
GTGuy32.50
      06-06-2022, 06:30 PM   #14
Correct-Rule
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Just purchased a CPO ‘21 m340i and sadly, it only has the HiFi system. I’m not sure if eq is adjustable or not yet as I haven’t dived into the sound settings but regardless if they are or not, do you think the adjusting front/rear balance would still have a positive effect on sound quality? I know you all have the HK system but maybe some more experienced audio enthusiasts would have an idea. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 08:27 PM   #15
elambo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iifymbro View Post
Damn everyone gotta try this combo
I'm glad you like it. I think those steps make the stock stereo (which I did NOT like at first) rather decent. Certainly satiated my need to upgrade hardware, at least for a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 08:33 PM   #16
elambo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Correct-Rule View Post
do you think the adjusting front/rear balance would still have a positive effect on sound quality?
Almost certainly. The mere size limitation of front speakers means that you get thin, trebly sound up front, whereas the rears are larger and fuller sounding. In addition to that, I've never been a big fan of sound coming primarily from the dashboard -- I prefer it surrounding me to some degree -- so shifting the balance rearward kills these two birds with one stone.

It does mean that audio will be louder than normal in the back seat, so if that's an issue for passengers this may not work for you. I often have the kids in the back, but they're listening to their own music w/ headphones so it's never an issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 08:35 PM   #17
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Correct-Rule View Post
Just purchased a CPO ‘21 m340i and sadly, it only has the HiFi system. I’m not sure if eq is adjustable or not yet as I haven’t dived into the sound settings but regardless if they are or not, do you think the adjusting front/rear balance would still have a positive effect on sound quality? I know you all have the HK system but maybe some more experienced audio enthusiasts would have an idea. Thank you
will give more (surround) sound BUT

note that with hifi there are only 1 pair of midrange in the back, all the other speakers are at the front
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 07:06 PM   #18
Dragzon
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

Quote:

I had similar problems when I first got the car. Coded the Bowers and Wilkins DSP and I felt like that cleaned up the sound a lot. Only needed a few small EQ adjustments from there.
I was also coming from a Volvo lease with that incredible Bowers & Wilkins system optioned, so that might be why I prefer that sound profile.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 09:01 AM   #19
Mark3380
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for finding that!

Your settings really got me where I wanted to be. I ended up with slightly more bass only because I listen to all types of music. Had plenty of bass for everything but rock. Adding a little back in sounds great for pretty much any music type now.

The F/R balance really made it sound better and turning Logic 7 back on seemed to shift it back to the front too much. I'll be leaving that off and I'm much happier with the sound now. Thanks for posting your settings.
Appreciate 1
elambo240.50
      06-10-2022, 12:33 PM   #20
elambo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Your settings really got me where I wanted to be. I ended up with slightly more bass only because I listen to all types of music. Had plenty of bass for everything but rock. Adding a little back in sounds great for pretty much any music type now.

The F/R balance really made it sound better and turning Logic 7 back on seemed to shift it back to the front too much. I'll be leaving that off and I'm much happier with the sound now. Thanks for posting your settings.
Glad to hear it! Everyone will have different preferences, and I even played with additional bass, too. And I liked it, but it was too overpowering in some cases (I have a lot of Peter Gabriel, Radiohead, Massive Attack, Bjork and bands of that ilk and they bring the bass).
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 03:06 PM   #21
bossfan61
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m440i

I've got the 2022 M440i Gran Coupe. I've been VERY disappointed with the HK, especially coming from a 2014 428i coupe with HK that really sounded great. Both BavSound and (I forget the name of the other sound upgrade company) don't offer amp upgrades, so I was resigned to just live with it as is. Thanks for these suggestions and I will definitely try these adjustments!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 12:21 AM   #22
NIB_
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C43, BMW X5

These are my settings for my 69 (19/20) M340i with Harmon Kardon Sound System. You can punch in a tiny bit more upper treble sparkle if you listen at lower volumes, but you'll lose precision at higher volumes with sibilance/grain etc kicking in at the highest frequencies. In comparison my settings below are balanced to work at both high and low listening volumes, without distortion.

I too was quite disappointed with the sound initially, especially coming from Mercedes Burmester and Jaguar Meridian tweaked (EQ), but with these settings the BMW was far more balanced, dynamic, and articulate than its default set up, with improved imaging, tonality, soundstage and clarity, whilst still retaining that impactful punchy bass presence and dynamism. They're just far too muddy and congested at default, with way too much mid-upper bass and mids/lower mids, which give an unnecessary thickness and lack of definition. These settings help dramatically clear things up, though your results may vary depending on the year of the model, software etc.

https://i.ibb.co/P1kRJcg/20220603-235225-01.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/yQ7BrSf/20220603-235130-01.jpg

I'm very into my audio at home, with a range of high end audio equipment, speakers, headphones, DACs, amps etc, including owning or having owned the Sony MDR-Z1R, Sennheiser HD800S, Beyerdyamic T1.1, Audeze LCD2/3 etc, so my audio calibration/tastes may perhaps be a bit different or more particular than some, and as with most things audio, it is ultimately subjective.

I would say with my settings, the BMW M340i HK sound leans on the smoother, more bass emphasised and dynamic fun sound, like a pair of Audeze LCD's 2/3's or something. I didn't push for too much treble sparkle/articulation, as I felt the tweeters simply weren't up to the task.

Last edited by NIB_; 06-11-2022 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 2