Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 2023 3 Series / M340i G20 LCI Reviews Are Here

09-30-2022, 11:30 AM   #45
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prei1978 View Post
You're correct, not everybody that buys a 320i or a 330i is not a driving enthusiast and I did not mean to imply that. I have owned an E91 320d Touring in the past and certainly enjoyed driving it every bit even if it wasn't a performance model, and would happily consider a 330i (base engine here in the US) as a daily driver.
I had a E39 530i I6, then a F30 328i I4, now a G20 330i I4.

Across these 3 models, the almost 50/50 is the one consistent attribute that I look for, as I do occasionally drive hilly curvy terrains(e.g. hwy17, 84, 92, 35, 1), and BMW's 50/50 balance is superb for those roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 03:03 PM   #46
Cammy440iGC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440GC xDrive

M340i LCI vs New C43

Look we simply must be grateful that the LCI M340i get the wonderful 6 cylinder B58 engine. While we may disagree on the buttons and gear shifts...those disagreements are a luxury. Imagine your a C43 fan and your given a C43 Turbo "electrified" 4 cylinder with less torque...with reviews saying...well if you bought your previous C43 for its engine...keep walking by this 4 cylinder! Who didn't buy their current 6 cylinder C43 Bi-turbo for its engine? We are lucky. Ill take the M340i with the B58...even lacking a gear shifter and temperature control buttons...over a Turbo "electrified" 4 cylinder any day.
Appreciate 5
      10-02-2022, 01:24 AM   #47
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy340i View Post
Look we simply must be grateful that the LCI M340i get the wonderful 6 cylinder B58 engine. While we may disagree on the buttons and gear shifts...those disagreements are a luxury. Imagine your a C43 fan and your given a C43 Turbo "electrified" 4 cylinder with less torque...with reviews saying...well if you bought your previous C43 for its engine...keep walking by this 4 cylinder! Who didn't buy their current 6 cylinder C43 Bi-turbo for its engine? We are lucky. Ill take the M340i with the B58...even lacking a gear shifter and temperature control buttons...over a Turbo "electrified" 4 cylinder any day.
Wait till they find out what's happened to the 63 !
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 06:52 AM   #48
Spacefish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Hot cold shifter knob?
https://images.app.goo.gl/Wjk9xooaMfb2m5GM7

What I am referring to is under the hazard light button
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 01:15 AM   #49
Iggy52
Canada
Rep
Drives: x 4 m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by prei1978 View Post
I don't understand why BMW removed the gear selector stalk. I have a G23 M440xi and an F54 JCW Clubman and in both cars, I drive manual and at low speeds in traffic, I tend to have one hand on the wheel and one hand on the gear selector to shift up and down. When driving on the limit I have both hands on the wheel and use the paddles for gear changes. I love it. It provides the best experience in all driving modes and no, I do not and will not drive my cars in full auto because the transmission never seems to do what I want it to do.

Of all changes in the cabin that is the most offensive to me. I can learn to live with climate control switches on the big screen, but there is no replacement for the functionality the gear selector lever gave me.
For those of you complaining about the gear shit. Things change. Acura uses a push button and remember Mercedes has not used a gear shifter for years. As Bob Dylan says :the times they are a changing : I love the new system.
Appreciate 1
TheMaxXHD641.00
      01-27-2023, 09:44 PM   #50
KMPR89
Registered
Rep
Drives: 23' BMW M340i

New BMW owner having just picked up a 23' M340i Xdrive. Overall I think the car is fantastic. I've missed a straight 6 and RWD biased car.

Personally think the only better looking vehicles in the BMW lineup currently are some of the 5 series. Shadow Line package is a must. I will be replacing the "spoiler" if you can call it that. More like an accent.

Yes the loss of physical buttons/controls for things(mainly AC) is disconcerting but having seen the horrible controls in the MK8 Golf R, I'll live with the touch screen. Overall the cockpit is very clean and minimal. Test drove a Merc and it was overwhelming.

I'm a single guy with no kids so could care less about the back seats. Just more cargo space and cargo doesn't need a seat heater. The front seats and steering wheel have heaters and that's what matters.

Biggest complaints are the tires and Auto Start/Stop.

The start/stop is not a smooth transition at all and they removed the button to turn it off. I haven't figured out why but I'm currently unable to code it out(Need to reach out to Bimmercode).

The tires are run flats and are loud AF. Can't wait to wear them out to get a different set if they don't drive me crazy enough to get a new set first.

I can see why owners of older M340is wouldn't want to go to the LCI but I couldn't spend 55k on a CPO when a new one was 60k. I don't have many issues with the car and those I do are mostly easily solved.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 07:26 AM   #51
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynNYBMW View Post
After reading some of these reviews and watching the youtube videos. Chances are I will be buying my current M340i xdrive at the end of the lease.
After leasing ten cars, the last four of which were BMWs, I have the same sentiment for my 330i. It is the best car I have had, even after several much more expensive models, and a large part of that is due to the ergonomics. I had a '23 330i rental from Sixt last week and did not care for the ergonomic lapses. (Nor do I care for the new lease rates.)

One delight, however, was driving a bare bones model and remembering what an inherently good all-around car this is even without all of the options on mine. I was reminded of the old 320i loaners that you could absolutely flog within legal limits.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 07:19 PM   #52
RCook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Was going to order a 22 or '23 330i last year.
Spent some time in an i4 that had just arrived a the dealer.
Maybe I am just an old fart, but I could not handle the display and lack of buttons for a/c and such. Was told the LCI 330i would have essentially the same dash.

Ended up with a CPO 330i, about 60% of the cost of a new one. Quite happy with ergonomics, especially when compared to the 'Rocket Boy' interiors on most Japanese cars now (Mazda is OK)

I think we will see a melding of bodies and interiors between EVs an ICE cars in the BMW 3/4 series. Margins are compressing, costs rising, consumers scrimping. EV adoption will be much slower than companies believe, but their BoDs and governments will be pushing them hard.

I suspect the current 4 banger is the last ICE engine BMW will build. Investment wil go into EVs and electronics. Soon, all sedans will look the same. Like Asian and EU SUVs do now.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 07:31 PM   #53
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCook View Post
Was going to order a 22 or '23 330i last year.
Maybe I am just an old fart, but I could not handle the display and lack of buttons for a/c and such. Was told the LCI 330i would have essentially the same dash.

Ended up with a CPO 330i, about 60% of the cost of a new one. Quite happy with ergonomics, especially when compared to the 'Rocket Boy' interiors on most Japanese cars now (Mazda is OK)

I think we will see a melding of bodies and interiors between EVs an ICE cars in the BMW 3/4 series. Margins are compressing, costs rising, consumers scrimping. EV adoption will be much slower than companies believe, but their BoDs and governments will be pushing them hard.

I suspect the current 4 banger is the last ICE engine BMW will build. Investment wil go into EVs and electronics. Soon, all sedans will look the same. Like Asian and EU SUVs do now.
I don’t disagree. Your post makes me sad.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-28-2023, 11:14 PM   #54
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Matt Watson at Carwow basically thinks it's perfect. As many cars as this dude has driven, that's a pretty glowing endorsement.

NLJ217.00
      01-30-2023, 04:55 PM   #55
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
I have a 2023 330i loaner and given a choice right now between ID7 and ID8, I would still pick ID7.

It's certainly different, but never once do I think 'oh this is way better not having buttons'. Everything I liked about BMW just seems to be going away...

Rob
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2023, 06:34 PM   #56
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
My thinking is that BMW will still keep offering PHEVs with improved battery range, although some insiders did say there is no more ICE development from BMW.
Appreciate 0