Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions NEWS app not working

04-09-2024, 05:15 PM   #1
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

NEWS app not working

My News app stopped working. This is a standard BMW connected service app.
It doesn't load the icon set in the list and also doesn't play the podcasts.
Also my car is now requiring me to login every time I start the car.
Lastly, my Spotify album art won't load.

I've done reset, double reset, deleted account and re-added. Nothing fixes this.

Any ideas? Tech support hasn't helped after 1 week back and forth.
Attached Images

04-09-2024, 08:59 PM   #2
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
My News app stopped working. This is a standard BMW connected service app.
It doesn't load the icon set in the list and also doesn't play the podcasts.
Also my car is now requiring me to login every time I start the car.
Lastly, my Spotify album art won't load.

I've done reset, double reset, deleted account and re-added. Nothing fixes this.

Any ideas? Tech support hasn't helped after 1 week back and forth.
Assuming you are using the myBMW app, go to the car and remove your driver profile. Then, while still in the car, Add your driver profile - the car will generate a QR code and you will scan this using the myBMW app: Setting Icons -> Scan QR code -> take the pic

Once you have your driver profile, make sure you set up your driver profile recognition - have the car recognize your driver profile via the KEY and also set up a 4 digit pin code, the latter enabling the use of "Valet Parking Mode". Assuming all goes well, the car should greet you and your setting will automatically adjust when entering the vehicle with the key you used to set up your profile! Doing all of this should make the "enter credentials" notification go away indefinitely. lol
NOTE: I only drive and use my car using the physical key and the only thing I use the app for is remote start. That said, I've noticed that those using the Digital Key have to manual select their driver profile, whereas those who use their physical key will have their driver profile loaded automatically.

As for the "News" App, to be honest, your the first and only person I've come across that uses the News app in iDrive - nothing wrong or bad with that! I believe there is a Software Update available for iDrive 7 - this can be found in "General Settings" --> "Remote Software Upgrade" --> Follow the instructions.

If your vehicle has an update, I would update the system and see if the problem fixes itself. Maybe the app is not working as they are making some upgrades/changes to it? Not trying to downplay it or make excuses, but just wanted to throw that out there.

If all else fails, you could try taking your car in or calling the genius hotline number, but if it were me? I'd just download a news app to my phone and just listen to it via Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
ALTERNATIVES/NOTE: Both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto have their own Spotify app that comes straight from your phone - I mention this as an alternative - the same applies for Sirius XM users, where you can just listen to it directly from your phone using the Sirius XM app on your phone.

Keep us posted and let us know if you have any more questions! I remain hopeful that the problem will fix itself once you re-do your driver profile and the system has received a software update!

Cameron (2021 BMW 330i - named him: "Hrag")

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 09:02 PM   #3
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

I will try your method of re adding profile.

Software update was done 4 days back and it didn't fix any of the problems! Sadly.
      04-09-2024, 09:21 PM   #4
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
I will try your method of re adding profile.

Software update was done 4 days back and it didn't fix any of the problems! Sadly.
Keep me posted!

As for the news and spotify apps, what about the alternative methods I listed above? Using/listening to both apps from your phone via Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
NOTE: Keep in mind you can also play music/content via "Bluetooth Audio" if you only use BMW's Bluetooth system and NOT Apple CarPlay/Android Auto

Let me know if the profile works and what your thoughts are on the possible alternatives!

Cameron
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 08:04 PM   #5
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

In case anyone has similar issue, the ONLY solution was to click the RESET TO FACTORY setting inside the idrive menus.

This then required a COMPLETE set up of the car from scratch. Even the myBMW app required me to register the vehicle again etc.

But it left everything working again as it should. Nothing else worked.